Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#51 Old 19th Aug 2007 at 10:02 PM
EmoRocker - special signature :P

"To use this tutorial properly you must have Paint.NET v2.62 or higher"
See the 'or higher' part. What that means is that the author used paint.net 2.62 when they made the tutorial, and the assumption is that the commands used will also be supported by any future version of the program. So whatever the current version is should work for you.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 23rd Sep 2007 at 9:56 AM
No red box apeared for me, and I can't find the selection indicator. I've searched the program, but it's still probably something really obvious. Still, help would be appreciated. Thanks ;D
Field Researcher
#53 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 8:30 AM
This is so AWESOME!! I just found Paint.Net and was thrilled to finally have a program that uses layers! But I was sure having a hard time figuring out how to use the opacity on a layer. I can hardly wait to get started on all the recolors dancing through my head!! Thank you so much!!!

Want to see all my Sims 2 creations, including my Star Trek items? Follow the link below to check out my Blog!

Puppetfish.Blogspot.com

Looking for Franny Sims Meshes? They can be found HERE!
Test Subject
#54 Old 6th Nov 2007 at 12:12 AM
though paint.net is very limited it is very helpful I've made some nice clothing
Test Subject
#55 Old 20th Nov 2007 at 12:37 PM
I've made quite a few clothes using paint.net as well as recolors for vehicles, furniture, and other game items. This is the first tutorial I have read that was specifically for the program. I've mostly been playing around and experimenting with things.

This is the method I've been using (I'll post some examples of my clothes and add screenshots later) -

1. In body shop, I choose either the least colorful version of my target item (i.e. white, gray, or light beige) or the one with colors that are complementary (e.g. red-green - the idea thanks to my color-blind guy friends).

2. Go to the "adjustments" menu and choose "hue/saturation". Desaturate the original skin (push the slider all the way to the left) and play around with the "lightness" until it's light enough for your liking. I like having the wrinkles and whatnot in, so I don't turn it up too high, just about 30 or so.
If you only want to change part of the skin (i.e. the top, but not the bottom or a dress, but not the shoes), then use the rectangle select tool first before selecting the adjustments menu.

Now go to the Layers menu and add a new layer on top. In layer properties (either in the layers window or in the layers menu) make it multiple.

From here you can either floodfill (paint bucket) a color, draw a design, or copy a pattern of your liking from another image file. You might choose to bring down the layer transparency some so the original can be more visibible.

For an added bonus, the ImaniOU touch, I also lower the transparency of the original layer (the one from body shop) so the pattern stands out more.

I have been using paint.net for a few months but only recently have been doing serious experimentation with it, including my avatar.
Test Subject
#56 Old 16th Dec 2007 at 9:17 PM
Thank you so much. I found this tutorial really easy to pick up, and this is from someone who gets confused really easily. Thanks a million!

Auron: Only a jackass can change the world.
Test Subject
#57 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by boone_86
I have a question i used this help guid to make a shirt and in body shop it looks good but in the game is a fuzzy mess? i not sure what happened? do you think you could help me? i added two pic a before and after i hope you can help!

you probably stuffed up the alpha
Test Subject
#58 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 9:38 PM
Default thanks!
im not too experienced with this kind of stuff. if it wasnt for easy step-by-step tutorials like this one, id be lost and probably have sold The Sims 2 out of frustration. thanks a lot!
Test Subject
#59 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 7:51 PM
I had the same problem of givemeallurpoison, and it worked for me Thanks very much for he tutorial!!

Jinatar
Test Subject
#60 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 12:13 AM
Thank you so much for this tutorial!!! Without it I would have screwed up everything, it helped me so much!
Test Subject
#61 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 7:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by boone_86
I have a question i used this help guid to make a shirt and in body shop it looks good but in the game is a fuzzy mess? i not sure what happened? do you think you could help me? i added two pic a before and after i hope you can help!

On game settings graphic options are all the settings on high? hope this helps
Test Subject
#62 Old 13th Nov 2008 at 5:57 AM
You are my hero for ever and ever!
Test Subject
#63 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 10:42 AM
Hi im kinda new to the recolor world and i understand you recolor tutorial but i have a question about your adding patterns for your tutorial2 i cant seem to get the pattern to look like yours after i copy and paste it to the pj set could you please help me with this ive always been interested in learning how to make things i just keep tryin.
Test Subject
#64 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 6:02 PM
I can't load my paint.net! I can only find the icon that installs it. I am really trying to get into creating, but I need help!!

Pbandjsam was here!!! "Google is a man's best friend. Screw Dogs!!!" -Me
Test Subject
#65 Old 22nd Apr 2009 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pbandjsam
I can't load my paint.net! I can only find the icon that installs it. I am really trying to get into creating, but I need help!!

nevermind I found it!!

Pbandjsam was here!!! "Google is a man's best friend. Screw Dogs!!!" -Me
Test Subject
#66 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 8:21 PM
hey i was thinking about making some eyes but i have no clue how to so do you think you could make a tutorial for it?
Test Subject
#67 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 6:53 AM
when u install the paint.net ....
when u install the paint.net do u save or open it ?

Quote: Originally posted by judithanndl
Paint.NET is free editing software. It's the software I use to skin, so I decided to lend my help. Today I will teach you the basics of recoloring with the program.

To use this tutorial properly you must have Paint.NET v2.62 or higher. To get it click here.

Start by opening Body Shop. Select " Start new project."

Select the item of clothing you want to recolor. I am recoloring this one.

Once you choose which one, click the "Export Selected Textures" button.

Next choose a name for your project. It's recommended that you choose a name that you can remember easily, so you can find it later on.

When you are done naming it click the Check mark to export the texture.

When it's done exporting, this screen will come up. The red box indicates where the new file is located.

When you are done looking at it, click the "X".

The next step is to open the texture up in Paint.NET. Locate the folder that was indicated in the last step, and open up the texture.
Now we can start recoloring!

This part is simple: Go to LAYERS>ADJUSTMENTS>HUE/SATURATION.

Move the sliders around till you get the color that you want your clothing to be. I chose pink for the dress because I like Pink

When you get it just the way you want it click OK and save. Now go back to Body Shop and review your changes. This is what mine turned out like:

If you are satisfied with the way it tuned out you can import it now. I'm not satisfied with it though, because I don't like that blue scarf. So now I am going to give you a quick overview of Selective recoloring.

There are four selection tools in Paint.NET: Rectangle, Ellipse, Lasso, and Magic Wand. Use any of these to select an area that you want to selectively recolor. Use the CTRL button to select more than one area, like the screenshot below:

The dotted lines, of course, indicate the selected area.

Once you have the area selected that you want to recolor. Follow the same steps as above (layers>adjustments>hue/suturation) until you get the color you want:

And This is my finished project:

When you have it the way you want it just import it into the game.

I hope I offered enough help today, go out and start creating! I will mention again though, that I strongly recommend, if you are new to Paint. NET, to review the help topics (HELP>HELP TOPICS). It offers a full overview of what the tools are in Paint.NET and what they do. And if you need any help please let me know.

**Scroll down to message 7 for a tutorial on patterns!
Test Subject
#68 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 6:55 AM
oops wasnt ment to have that extra stuff
Test Subject
#69 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 7:00 AM
it wont let me install/open the paint thing it keeps cmplaining ???
Test Subject
#70 Old 15th Aug 2009 at 7:03 PM
i just use paint. i know how to edit it... i just need to know how to post it!
Test Subject
#71 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 11:34 AM
how do you texture with paint.Net???

dats a parrot made it myself tehe HI MUM

__(")>
_<( )>
...." "
Test Subject
#72 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:02 PM
Thanks, this is really helpful!
Mad Poster
#73 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 10:18 AM
Ok I did everything it said in the tutorial but when I move the hue/saturation etc. slider nothing changes on the outfit. Can anyone help please?
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 8:39 PM
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Test Subject
#75 Old 10th Jan 2010 at 3:32 AM
this tutorial helped me out a lot thankyou! I done my first recolour and it was quite good for a little newbie lol. I'm actually having trouble using texture now my bodyshop just won't show it and it keeps coming up as some maxis suit
Page 3 of 4