Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 19th Jan 2009 at 10:21 PM
This tutorial was fantastic! Probably the first one I could properly understand.
Thanks alot for your help!

Forget the people in your past. There's a reason they didn't make it to your future.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:21 AM
these are great tutes, good work!
Field Researcher
#78 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 7:40 PM
When I edit an alpha I save and go back to bodyshop and refresh the page. After I refresh the whole thing goes like a gray/tan color. I go back and undo and re-save and it does the same thing. I would really like to edit alphas so does anyone know how to fix this problem.
Test Subject
#79 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 1:10 AM
I have gotten to the part where you add sleeves and one sleeve looks normal but the other one comes out black. If someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong that be great.
Test Subject
#80 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 1:34 AM
I have a problem. On my toolbar at the top of my GIMP program there is no Dialog. I've looked through all of the other catagorys but I can't seem to find that. Could it be possible that my computer didn't download that part of GIMP?
Test Subject
#81 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 2:33 PM
thank you so much for the tutorials! I am good (I think) at paint and have recently been playing with GIMP, but what I really want to know is this: is there a way to remove peices, specifically shoes (more specifically, high heels). I edited the alpha to get rid of the shoes, and edited the grey texture file to get rid of the shoes, and i'm still getting flesh-colored spikes on the heels. Is this because of the mesh?
Test Subject
#82 Old 10th Oct 2009 at 3:16 AM
Thank you so much!! All of your tutes are very easy to read and apply! I'm working on #4 off of your forum, and I am totally getting it! :lovestruc
#83 Old 1st Nov 2009 at 7:09 PM
Great tutorial!

I've done your previous two tutorials but I don't get how to cut out bits (step 13) I know this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find an answer. Please help!
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 12:14 AM
i have the same problem as happyasabunny does anyone know the solution for it please?

*kah*
Test Subject
#85 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 5:54 AM
OK, I have a question about this and I hope I don't get my head bit off for asking them. It looks like I am the last to jump on the bandwagon to recolor clothing for Sims2.
The Good:
-I have every expansion and stuff pack.
-I have downloaded "The Gimp"
-I have read all of Saraswati5's tutorials on using "The Gimp" for recoloring/retexturing, etc., and I did the projects right along with the tutorial so as to make sure I did it right (and I had success).
The Bad:
-I'm trying to add a new texture to a custom mesh I downloaded online with "The Gimp" and the new texture goes on smoothly, but the bump file (with the shading, highlighting) does not show through so the new texture appears as flat. (the custom mesh bump file does have proper shadowing, and highlighting)
The Ugly:
-I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've looked through the tutorials several times, read the posts and replys to find out what I am missing and I can't find it.
-I don't want to be yelled at because I am a newbie at doing this and I may be asking a really dumb question.
Could anyone help me? Direct me in the path to go? Any tips would be helpful. Thank you.
Test Subject
#86 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 8:32 PM
Thank you so much for doing this. it really helped me a lot and with following the tutorial step by step it's so easy
thanx
Test Subject
#87 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 7:53 PM
I've been searching and reading all kinds of tutorials on recoloring and using Body Shop, but none have been so detailed and easy to understand. The process is very easy once you know what you are doing. Don't think I'll be editing alpha's anytime soon but I will be making new textures and recolours after reading this, I'm confident enough to play with it now. Thank you!
Test Subject
#88 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 4:16 AM
OK, I think I solved the problem! If you right-click and go to edit then cut, it looks like the picture! Hope this helps you all...
Test Subject
#89 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 8:58 PM
Thanks. This post helps a lot!

Anyway, if I want to make a ruffled balloon skirt, what would I do to not get the design wrapped on my sims like a tight mini skirt does? (I indeed export the tight mini skirt on the BodyShop). I've tried modify the alpha to be exactly the same shape as the clothing image I want to have. I even positioned it on the right place.. But still doesn't work. How do I create the suitable alpha? Or it is something we call the mesh? Any answer would be highly appreciated. Thanks -Jen
Field Researcher
#90 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tina_bella
Thanks. This post helps a lot!

Anyway, if I want to make a ruffled balloon skirt, what would I do to not get the design wrapped on my sims like a tight mini skirt does? (I indeed export the tight mini skirt on the BodyShop). I've tried modify the alpha to be exactly the same shape as the clothing image I want to have. I even positioned it on the right place.. But still doesn't work. How do I create the suitable alpha? Or it is something we call the mesh? Any answer would be highly appreciated. Thanks -Jen

It's definitely the mesh. To change 3D shape you need a different mesh, so you would export clothing that has the general shape you want and change the texture by modifying the alpha and the texture files. Unfortunately, the tight mini skirt does not sound like it is suitable for your project.

"I'm afraid I'm not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service".
-Monty Python's Flying Circus
Test Subject
#91 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 7:50 AM
Thanks so much kalynn06.
Test Subject
#92 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 5:56 PM
GREAT tutorial! I love how you actually EXPLAIN what does what and why we are doing it. I had read a tutorial last night that told how to work with the alpha, but didn't explain why it was black and white so I had no idea exactly how it was to be used and why actions were being taken, other than following what was being done and that wasn't really helpful. Is there a way you can make a tutorial on how to put logos or pictures on tops? I found one last night that was not helpful and it was for another program as well. Anyway, great job! I hope to read more!
Test Subject
#93 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 10:36 PM
Hi this tutorial has really helped learn how to do many things with Gimp. It also inspired me to want to make my on line of clothing but i don`t know how to do that yet. i am also a past paint creator which was really working out then i read this tut and i quickly went and got gimp when i do end up doing my clothing line i would def mention you in there and if you could maybe help me with it. I was hoping to do EITHER a under wear line of all ages or a child line of clothing!!!
Test Subject
#94 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 4:10 AM
Default SO That is why I see gray on the shirt.
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
Also, just to be clear - seeing the phrase 'alpha channel'.... for sims clothing, the alpha is stored in a separate bitmap file (which I believe should be clear from this tutorial).

And as simguy stated, you can only change the alpha on skintight areas of a mesh as a rule - because there is no 'body' beneath the clothing on a mesh - there is only the one shape that includes the clothing shape and then whatever part of the hands/legs that show beyond the clothing.

It is different if you are working with what is called an 'alpha mesh' where part of the mesh (like an extension of the skirt) is in a separate group and has its own graphics (much like hair has multiple graphics for the different layers of hair). Anyway, those meshes would be designed to have legs under the skirt (or a second underskirt).

THIS is exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering why on an AM shirt with sleeves, that I could not get the sleeves to disappear. THEN I read this. I forgot that the mesh might not be an alpha mesh.
Test Subject
#95 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 5:08 AM
The Gray Shirt
Okay, nope. I'm doing something wrong.
(I use paint.net which is very, very similar to Gimp. I've used that program, too. Paint.net is just my favorite. ) Okay, so....

I went and opened up my body~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha on this short sleeve shirt for Adult Male. It extends past the arms(not skin-tight). When I select the sleeve to remove it, I can either paint it with black, or erase it. If I paint it and save it as the original.bmp, then everything turns grey, including his pants and shoes. Now, if I erase that part, then I am left with a .png image because it now has transparency below it, but I would have to save it as a .bmp, which in doing so turns that part of the shirt back to white on the alpha. So, the question is how to remove the sleeve.

Also, please note that it has three files in it: the body~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha and the body~stdMatBaseTextureName and thebody~stdMatNormalMapTextureName.
The last file I do not understand what it is for but it looks grey. I have tried to alter that, just to make sure that didn't have anything to do with it. It didn't.

Anyway, as I said every time I try to alter the alpha, everything turns gray. I tried to resave it back to the original, but to no avail. I have to delete the project and start again every time. I would appreciate any help on this. It gets kind of frustrating.
Mad Poster
#96 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by starmusicfly
I went and opened up my body~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha on this short sleeve shirt for Adult Male. It extends past the arms(not skin-tight).

There's the first problem right there. If it's not skin-tight, then you can't get rid of the sleeve just by erasing the alpha. What you need to do is change the mesh.

When I select the sleeve to remove it, I can either paint it with black, or erase it. If I paint it and save it as the original.bmp, then everything turns grey, including his pants and shoes. Now, if I erase that part, then I am left with a .png image because it now has transparency below it, but I would have to save it as a .bmp, which in doing so turns that part of the shirt back to white on the alpha. So, the question is how to remove the sleeve.

If you paint the sleeve black, it will turn grey (I'm not sure why the whole outfit is turning grey, but the sleeves should). On a Body Shop mannequin, any part of the clothing that's invisible will look grey. If you put this outfit on an actual Sim, the grey areas would be skin-coloured.

I don't know about Paint.NET, but other graphics programs give you the option of flattening an image with a different colour as a background. Right now, it sounds like you've got the background set to white, if the white reappears when you save as a bitmap.

Also, please note that it has three files in it: the body~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha and the body~stdMatBaseTextureName and thebody~stdMatNormalMapTextureName.
The last file I do not understand what it is for but it looks grey. I have tried to alter that, just to make sure that didn't have anything to do with it. It didn't.

The grey file is a bumpmap texture. On certain computers, it helps give an illusion of texture/depth to the clothing. Not all computers can display the bumpmaps, though, and the expansion packs didn't use them. You can colour the whole image with 50% grey and the bumpmap will no longer show up in your game (which is important if you change the texture or alpha... if you don't change the bumpmap as well, the outfit might look like it has bumps or ridges in odd places).

Anyway, as I said every time I try to alter the alpha, everything turns gray. I tried to resave it back to the original, but to no avail. I have to delete the project and start again every time. I would appreciate any help on this. It gets kind of frustrating.

If you can, try redoing your alpha with a different program, like the GIMP. People who do a lot of recolouring tend to use programs like that or Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. They'll give you the best results, and they're known to work well for Sim recolouring.
Test Subject
#97 Old 30th Oct 2012 at 11:36 PM
Mesh was the issue
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
There's the first problem right there. If it's not skin-tight, then you can't get rid of the sleeve just by erasing the alpha. What you need to do is change the mesh.

If you paint the sleeve black, it will turn grey (I'm not sure why the whole outfit is turning grey, but the sleeves should). On a Body Shop mannequin, any part of the clothing that's invisible will look grey. If you put this outfit on an actual Sim, the grey areas would be skin-coloured.

I don't know about Paint.NET, but other graphics programs give you the option of flattening an image with a different colour as a background. Right now, it sounds like you've got the background set to white, if the white reappears when you save as a bitmap.

The grey file is a bumpmap texture. On certain computers, it helps give an illusion of texture/depth to the clothing. Not all computers can display the bumpmaps, though, and the expansion packs didn't use them. You can colour the whole image with 50% grey and the bumpmap will no longer show up in your game (which is important if you change the texture or alpha... if you don't change the bumpmap as well, the outfit might look like it has bumps or ridges in odd places).

If you can, try redoing your alpha with a different program, like the GIMP. People who do a lot of recolouring tend to use programs like that or Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. They'll give you the best results, and they're known to work well for Sim recolouring.

Thank you so much for helping me to understand about the gray in bodyshop means transparency. I also appreciate the knowledge that you can recolor that other file image 50 percent to get rid of the bump map (or control it, hehe).

Okay, so after reading this yesterday, I went back in to my (favorite and not giving up on just because it has so many plugins and well... it's easy and I can be lazy at times ) paint.net program and took a closer look.

I could open my alpha file and I found that I could make the picture black and alpha with one of my plugins in the adjustments tab. After doing that I could paint the sleeves black and when I saved it, it worked to remove the sleeves texture. It made just the sleeves gray. I saved it in bodyshop and opened it in the game and found that the texture was transparent on the sleeves like they were suppose to be, but I found out that the mesh was the issue, because it just put the skintone on top of the sleeve mesh. Needless to say, I don't want to mess with the mesh at this stage, but it was good to know what exactly was going on. I appreciate the help and the input.
Test Subject
#98 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 9:06 PM
Default won't work
so i edit it using gimp, and i have tried all methods of saving it (export, save as, overwrite original etc) but every single time i try to refresh in body shop, the application crashes and terminates! what can i do?
Mad Poster
#99 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lanaisabella
so i edit it using gimp, and i have tried all methods of saving it (export, save as, overwrite original etc) but every single time i try to refresh in body shop, the application crashes and terminates! what can i do?

First, you must overwrite the original. That's the file that Body Shop will display, so if you make a new file, it just won't work.

If Body Shop still crashes, try searching the help forums. It may be a fairly common problem with an easy fix.
Page 4 of 4