Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Cloitre de St. Etienne: A Medieval Cloister

by musiquefille Posted 9th Apr 2007 at 2:46 AM - Updated 7th Jan 2009 at 4:48 AM by musiquefille : corrections, updates

29 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 28 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 2
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 9:28 PM Last edited by fanseelamb : 10th Apr 2007 at 9:37 PM.
Wow. This is very very cool. So cool I had to test it out right away. It looks great in-game, but there's one little issue - the bed frames flash blue because the Grand Trianon repository object isn't included. People need to get the floor mirror from the Grand Trianon Set for the beds to work. It's available here (click on "FLOOR MIRROR" next to the green text.)

It also looks like one custom bathtub in your picture isn't included (reverts to a Maxis tub).... and neither are the brown bedding or dark bedframe recolours from your pics. But other than that. OMG! Amazing Cloister!! :D
Alchemist
#3 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 9:58 PM
Great idea but ... poor single sims! Hope that the convent features at least one juke box or stero for their good mood moments LOL. The building is amazing and very well done, the style mix is not so important seen the nice result.
I'd would have added more decorations in the outdoor, but it's also the pleasure for us downloaders "finish the work", or not?
You'd better take care of suggestions above by fanseelamb because this lot is very good. Thanks and ciao.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 12:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll fix those problems as soon as I have the chance. There are actually some other things I forgot to add (like a way for the sims to exercise) which I will add in the updated one as well. I'm glad you guys like it so far, despite the little mistakes. I'll post in the title as soon as I update.
Test Subject
#5 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 4:09 AM
GREAT!! Would you mind if i used this in an upcoming movie? I shall credit you properly.

WHEN THE VERY FIRST MAN DISCOVERED THAT COWS HAVE MILK... WHAT DO YOU THINK HE WAS DOING??

SEVEN DEADLY SINS IS ON HOLD UNTIL MY COMPUTER IS OKAY AGAIN

Where in the nursury rhyme does it say that Humpty Dumpty is an egg?

My Site Here.... <3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 9:47 PM
sure, go ahead. send me a link when you're done. i'd love to see it.
Scholar
#7 Old 13th Apr 2007 at 7:04 PM
A beautiful cloister. musiquefille ! And thanks for sharing.

All of nature is within us and we are part of all nature (Chief White Cloud)
Instructor
#8 Old 19th Apr 2007 at 3:09 AM
Great job on this, congrats on your first feature!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao-tzu

Sorry, I don't take requests.

My building tutorial: Link
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#9 Old 19th Apr 2007 at 4:20 AM
What a cool idea! I've never really tried very hard to create themed neighborhoods for my sims, but lots like this are starting to inspire me to get off of my lazy butt and use a little imaginiation. Awesome job, and congratulations on being featured!

There's always money in the banana stand.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 19th Apr 2007 at 5:34 AM
Very well done, congratulation for a deserved feature

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Test Subject
#11 Old 19th Apr 2007 at 11:07 AM
Great work! I'm thinking about using it in a midieval-themed asylum challenge. I'll let you know how it goes!
Test Subject
#12 Old 19th Apr 2007 at 4:26 PM
the building is cool but i dont love custom objects in buildings
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Apr 2007 at 5:38 AM Last edited by Putzi_Tutzi : 20th Apr 2007 at 5:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ailias
nevertheless it seems to be not so popular...
Yes it is nice inside but absolutely empty outside. The lot needs external picturesqueness. It makes a non-finished, gloomy impression to me.

My impression as well. Once again I don't see the feature quality here. Please dont get me wrong the building is absolutely fine but to me "feature" means a bit more. You people are really getting stranger by the minute

and musiquefille( sounds pretty french to me) isn't it supposed to be a cloitre?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#14 Old 20th Apr 2007 at 10:52 AM
Putzi: Please read http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=228992 for more information on how we decide what should be featured or not. You really don't get any say in the business, and it's insulting to both the staff and the creator themselves. If you don't like something, you don't have to post as such.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Apr 2007 at 3:20 PM
Thanks for notifying me of the typo. I can't believe it went this long without me noticing. ::blushes::

While everyone has their right to their own opinions, I also have a right to my rebuttal.

Several people have commented on the lack of decoration on the outside of the building. I understand how it looks on the outside and it was a conscious decision on my part not to decorate the outside. For my game purposes, I created this cloister in order to shut some sims away for a nice life inside. I locked all doors to the outside accept for the front door and the way that I play, the sims never go outside. In order to protect the inhabitants from prying eyes and danger, a cloister IS non-descript on the outside. It wasn't until recently that cloisters have become known for their well kept grounds outside the inner haven. The particular cloister I was looking to for inspiration is in the middle of the forest. While I understand that I could have put a forest around my cloister to appease you all for pictures, I absolutely dislike lots that have too many trees on them as they interfere with my ability to see inside the lots and often get in the way of things I wish to click. Besides, aerially, the lot looks exactly the way I intended it to look, so I am satisfied.

As for being featured, I have no idea why it was chosen, other than some people must have liked my idea enough. I am not going to downplay the work I put into this, or change my idea to appease some MTS2 complainers. If you don't like the way I made it, then you don't like the way cloisters look. Don't blame me. The lot is meant to be played inside and if you just want it for decoration in your medieval lot, there are many other lots that use far less CC that you could use. Sorry if this one does not suit your playing tastes. It suits mine perfectly.

Lastly, I have said in other places on this site, I do not mind constructive criticism. Saying you just don't like something because you just don't like it is not constructive criticism. If that is all you have to add to the conversation, don't download the item and move on. I always wondered why so many great creators stop sharing their work after a while. They say that people in forums are much too mean and don't appreciate the work they put into their downloads or the fact that they share them at all AND for free. I am not going to liken myself to those legendary modders, but I will say that people who complain on message boards or to the MTS2 staff are biting the hands that feed them. If you don't like something, don't download it, and don't take advantage of a free service for years without contributing anything but negative comments.

I apologize for my lengthy response but I feel it was warranted. Thank you for listening.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 21st Apr 2007 at 9:21 PM
Simply great! Really thanks a lot!

<------------------- www.WALEON.net ------------------->
Forum Resident
#17 Old 22nd Apr 2007 at 3:00 AM
This is a great lot! I need this for my medieval hood. The cloister I have now is way to fancy and difficult to play. This one looks much better. Great Job!

Visit my web site:Fanciful Sims
Royal Kingdom Challenge:
http://tinyurl.com/b4ajz
Live your medieval dream
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 2:28 AM
djsclaus: Please listen to the moderators.

I can see the hard work and time spent on this lot. Congratulations on the feature!

.Call me Bec.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#19 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 6:25 AM
This lot is very nicely put together, and is exactly what it is supposed to be. Thank you.

The complainers should really go make something they like better and skip the whining. No one is stopping them from landscaping the lot after they get it.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Field Researcher
#20 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 3:39 PM
This is exactly what I was looking for, for my unmarried sims in the medieval neighborhood I'm starting. Thank you for sharing this
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 4:47 AM
oh my, you've gotten a lot of controversy over this lot, haven't you! well, i think it is worth the feature. your use of the buttresses, the stained glass windows, and the whole courtyard thing really reminded me of good old-fashioned gothic medevial architecture. nice work!

i build houses! that would sound much more important if they were real houses...
Test Subject
#22 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 12:58 AM
your lot is really beautiful, great work!
i wish i could download it, i don't have any expansion packs u.u
this made me want to go to St Etienne once (and i have a friend with that name xD)
so, go on making these nice things!!
Test Subject
#23 Old 24th May 2007 at 1:09 AM
I am glad to see that you are not letting the negative, nonconstructive comments get to you.These items represent donated hard work in the community its good for all to appreciate. Like she said, if you don't like it, move on. I think the work is brilliant and also it gives me ideas on how to use those columns because you put them to nice use on the side wall. I am curious just how sims behave when not given overly elaborate things to do and are in a simplistic environment like a convent. I am eager to experiment with this.
As for the outside, elaborate outside design is not the thing I think of when I think of a closed in place for discipline, but I don't have much experience with this. I do think the outside is fine. I also don't like a lot of trees and would have had to removed them anyways. I like the idea of a lot that you can add to if you want, but its complete on its own if you don't wish to.

thank you again for taking the time to share it with us
SM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 25th May 2007 at 1:19 AM
thanks so much Sahr Mohtahn. I hope you enjoy using the lot. Your comments are really appreciated and made me feel great after a long day at work. Keep an eye out for something new soon, I'm working on some more medieval things.
#25 Old 13th Jul 2007 at 5:14 PM
perfect for nuns and preists and maybe for someone who was a little revealing in public thanx
Page 1 of 2