Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 15th Sep 2008 at 1:40 PM
I think I found a possible workaround for problems related to levelled floors and/or the stage tool, where changelotzoning results in "invalid apartment"-messages, and I'd like some feedback if it works for others as well. It doesn't fix all my levelled apartments, but that is as it is with the bug: inconsistent.

I built an apartment the other day (currently in mod queue) where I've created 3 levels on 1 floor (you use constrainfloorelevation for that). Changelotzoning kept bugging me, while a testsim could easily roam the entire apartment and every apartment was walled off from other rooms/apartments.

What I did was remove all the connecting stairs, just leaving a sloped floortile (with a slope-angle a sim can walk on) and then I had 4 valid apartments, just no stairs. I cycled to the neighbourhood and back, saving the apartmentsetting to the lot (getting the mailbox). Then I used "aptbasespecifictoolsdisabled false" to add the stairs and after that the apartments were still valid.

I think the bug appears only when you create more than one level on the same floor, either by sloping the floor, or by using indoor-foundation (using the stage-tool). The cause of the bug is in the connecting stairs. If you zoom in and watch the stairs from below (or the ceiling one floor down), you can see oddly shaped triangles, which lead me to think that the newly added ceiling-feature is behind it all. That doesn't apply to the stage tool though, as you don't heave sloped tiles there, so I don't fully fathom the bug yet.

And I still have a split-level-condo for which my workaround doesn't work.

Just curious what other people's experiences are...
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 15th Sep 2008 at 10:25 PM
One question, I have several apartments which are all closed off on the balconies, etc.., all that was taken care of. However, when I use the cheat, it says that they are invalid, the only difference from these apartments and all the others I've built (which is over 5 more apartment blocks worth) is that these have usable daylight basements, is that an issue or am I just missing something? I've closed off all balconies that needed to be closed, even removed all the fences from the apartments and replaced them with half-walls (which is what I usually do) so I've come to the conclusion that its just the basements, should I remove them? (The only reason I haven't is because of ALL the work that I'll have to do changing the other floors' layouts. D: )

Thanks. :3
Test Subject
#53 Old 16th Sep 2008 at 12:27 AM
What's the "daylight" stand for in daylight basements? As in open to the outside, so light can come in? That means there's some fence involved. First test for me would be to exclude the basement from the apartment by removing the stair/door that connects the apartment and the basement. Even it it has no other entrance, the basement will then become community space en no longer bother the "do we have a valid apartment"-parser. I think I have read in one of the building-apartments-topics about basements being not done, and the aforementioned split-level-condo has basement garages, so that could actually be why in my case my workaround failed. Anyway I'll try excluding the basement next time I open that condo.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 16th Sep 2008 at 7:44 PM Last edited by Pooky213 : 17th Sep 2008 at 1:38 AM. Reason: SOLVED: Sublot code
Default Help when famly lives in apartment
Quote: Originally posted by frillen
These codes works the same way but for different situations:

boolprop aptsublotspecifictoolsdisabled false/true works only on apartment lots where you already have moved in a sim family, the family you're playing while entering the code will pay for all changes!

boolprop aptbaselotspecifictoolsdisabled false/true works only on apartment lots where no sims are moved in!

In both cases the codes unlocks all build tools + you're able to place/delete objects in the common area aswell as apartments

Hi -- I'm trying to use the first code (sublot.) I enter the family through the neighborhood, bring up the cheat box, type the code, and nothing happens. I have typed it, saved, gone back to the hood, and then reentered the property, and again nothing happens. I have typed the code, switched back and forth with Live Mode, and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I would like to change a wall in an apartment. Thanks!

UPDATE: OK, found that I wasn't using the correct capitalization. It should be: boolProp aptSubLotSpecificToolsDisabled true/false. Made an alias for this so I don't have to type so much when I use it and now I'm set to change occupied apartments. (Just have to remember to click on Buy Mode and then Build Mode to "activate" the code after typing it.)
Instructor
#55 Old 16th Sep 2008 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bwurk
What's the "daylight" stand for in daylight basements? As in open to the outside, so light can come in? That means there's some fence involved. First test for me would be to exclude the basement from the apartment by removing the stair/door that connects the apartment and the basement. Even it it has no other entrance, the basement will then become community space en no longer bother the "do we have a valid apartment"-parser. I think I have read in one of the building-apartments-topics about basements being not done, and the aforementioned split-level-condo has basement garages, so that could actually be why in my case my workaround failed. Anyway I'll try excluding the basement next time I open that condo.

A daylight basement is a basement that lets in the daylight, this specifically means that the foundation has to be at least 6 clicks high so light will come in the windows. There are no doors leading to the outside, just a room in the basement, 8 clicks down. I'm not sure if that's the problem, right now I'm just avoiding the lot to begin with and continue on my other projects. Thanks, though.
Test Subject
#56 Old 18th Sep 2008 at 6:37 PM
hystericalparoxysm: thx very much!!
Instructor
#57 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 2:15 AM
Hey all...I have some great designs that I think will work wonderfully with the AL ep but alas, I don't have AL or the funds to pick it up - would anyone be interested in testing them out with AL? I will post some photos via my journal late tonight/early tomorrow....I don't expect to be able to buy AL for atleast a month or so and I am dying to know if they will work!
Stupid people are stupid
#58 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 2:00 PM
Okay, i found out something. I built a goreous block of Victorian homes. I used the stagetool to build a U-shaped stairs, but then it didn't take the upstairs as aprt of the apartment.

It didn't give me an error, nothing. It just didn't work. It only worked when i removed the stages completely and changed the lay-out a little.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kristalelise
I have built an apartment lot and rezoned it but it keeps telling me my apartments have errors. ive tried everything, they have those special divided doors, ive even added fire alarms and toilets and nothing seems to be working, is there any way i can make this lot downloadable for someone smart to look at and fix?

because im stumped, thanks x

I'm not smart, (or experienced enough with AL yet) lmao so I shouldn't be answering to this, but do you have a rear yard, and does it have a gate? That was my prob. It classed it as a common yard which had access to the apartment.
Also, your garage if you have one, you need to make sure it doesn't have an extra door if possible.

Also check your doors are on the right way round.

If you wanted to get someone to look at your lot, click on the icon, and select "package lot to a file". This will save it to your packagedlots folder in the Sims 2 folder (through My Documents) you can then zip the file if you know how, or just email it to someone.

I'd be happy to have a look, though I'm no expert, I have been through my share of building probs

"Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever".
R.I.P Brandon Lee
Forum Resident
#60 Old 24th Sep 2008 at 6:48 PM
[QUOTE=fway]Carrigon over @ the Sims2Workshop has enabled the Rent furnished apartment option, but along with 2 debug and a "Recalculate rent" option.

http://www.sims2workshop.com/viewtopic.php?t=2900

I joined sims2 workshop a while ago but hardly ever went there. I tried to get this file but just get a message saying I am banned and so I can't log in. No-one there answers my E mails and I have never done anything to get banned so I can't get this hack. Is there any other place I can get it?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 24th Sep 2008 at 7:27 PM
kampffenhoff - No, but it's really easy to just use the instructions in the tutorial to do the exact same thing.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#62 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 8:10 AM
I found a workaround for modular stairs with stage tool to work in apartment I simply add at least one extra stage section under the stair that lead upstair. Then the upper floor will be considered as part of the apartment and the furniture will desappear as it should do.
The problem is sometimes I am able to hide the extra stage sometimes I can't depending on the layout. I wonder if someone could made a transparent stage to avoid that aesthetic problem
Field Researcher
#63 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 10:20 AM Last edited by scampy1 : 30th Sep 2008 at 9:10 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by megativity13
you can use the roof deco items that came with Apartment Life
(find in Buy Mode> Deco section) to have 2 different colored roofs on
the same lot.

Thanks megativity13! Sorry I didn't say it earlier. But can you please tell which exact items they are. Thanks!

Also how do I get the roofs like this: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=300626? Thanks!

You can upload my creations with your sim or lot or neighbourhood but only to free sites, not the exchange and no paysites. You can credit too if you wish. If a creation I have created has custom content from another artist please ask them for permission first to upload with your neighbourhood.
Forum Resident
#64 Old 30th Sep 2008 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scampy1
Thanks megativity13! Sorry I didn't say it earlier. But can you please tell which exact items they are. Thanks!

Also how do I get the roofs like this: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=300626? Thanks!

This is what they look like (thanks for the pic, Jonesi)
If you are having trouble finding them in buy mode- try
going into your collections folder and clicking on the apartment life collection.

To build a roof like that, you'll have to place all of those decorative roof pieces-
then place some columns. Level up to the next floor and add floor tiles.
Once you place the floor tiles, you can add fences. Then level down and
remove the columns.

"I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant and kindness from the unkind, yet, I'm ungrateful to those teachers. "- Kahlil Gibran
Test Subject
#65 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 12:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pooky213
Hi -- I'm trying to use the first code (sublot.) I enter the family through the neighborhood, bring up the cheat box, type the code, and nothing happens. I have typed it, saved, gone back to the hood, and then reentered the property, and again nothing happens. I have typed the code, switched back and forth with Live Mode, and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I would like to change a wall in an apartment. Thanks!

UPDATE: OK, found that I wasn't using the correct capitalization. It should be: boolProp aptSubLotSpecificToolsDisabled true/false. Made an alias for this so I don't have to type so much when I use it and now I'm set to change occupied apartments. (Just have to remember to click on Buy Mode and then Build Mode to "activate" the code after typing it.)

I tried that and it still didn't work, I got everything else working ok, bit of a bummer with the stair to garden thing but ah well. Thanks for all the tips everyone, helped me a lot.
Test Subject
#66 Old 1st Oct 2008 at 10:48 PM
Hi, I was wondering if it is at all possible to place private elevators in rooms that run to a roof, because I have two rooms in my apartment that have this feature and these show up as invalid, is there a thing a I can download or is there a cheat I can use for this?
Test Subject
#67 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 8:06 AM
I think I may be going bald...
Alrighty. Where to begin....

I started building an apartment complex earlier this week and I absolutely loved the floorplan and everything. Then, it wouldn't work as an apartment. I have read this thread front and back, took out everything I was supposed to, changed the doors etc. The apartment STILL would not work. SO I scraped the whole thing, bulldozed the lot and tried again today.

Still, no success. I have successful apartment buildings that I have created in my neighborhood and that is why this is so frustrating to me, I can't figure out what it is that I am doing wrong with this particular lot, but am doing correctly with the others... So, I took some screen shots:

Here are my townhouses from the front, with the roofs showing. Note, I have only "separator" doors on them.

Here is the first floor.

Second floor.

Here is an image from the back. I changed the way I normally do patios and porches to accommodate the need for complete 'enclosure'. I initially thought this was the problem, however I removed the porches completely and it changed nothing. I also built a similar apartment complex with the same type of patio and it works... so I am at a loss.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Field Researcher
#68 Old 6th Oct 2008 at 9:21 AM
Thanks Megativity13! That Has helped.

You can upload my creations with your sim or lot or neighbourhood but only to free sites, not the exchange and no paysites. You can credit too if you wish. If a creation I have created has custom content from another artist please ask them for permission first to upload with your neighbourhood.
Test Subject
#69 Old 6th Oct 2008 at 2:35 PM
Pyronautica: The building looks fine to me too. The car-park-thingy (I don't know what it's called in English version) is only decorative, since it's not part of any apartment, I'd remove them. I'd try excluding the porches by removing the double doors that lead to them, or I'd replace the half walls by normal walls. Then I'd try replacing the stairs. You've already removed two of the three apartment doors to check if it's possible to create 1 apartment? I can't imagine, but could it be a problem that the mailbox is directly adjacent to the litterbin? I usually have one or two squares between them... Remove the stairs on the first floor to exclude upper floors from the apt. If all failes I'd call the landlord to request a repair.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 5:28 PM
Just got AL & had so many questions. This thread has helped immensely!
Thanks to all, esp frillen & HP.

You can find some of my older houses HERE
Test Subject
#71 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 9:14 AM
Default apartment cheats
can anyone tell me the difference of the apartment base and the apartment sub lot? and how do you build an apartment sub lot?
Stupid people are stupid
#72 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kayreen
can anyone tell me the difference of the apartment base and the apartment sub lot? and how do you build an apartment sub lot?

I read somewhere that a sub lot is just some kind of flag that's there if your sim moves into an apartment.
The apartment base is the whole building.
Test Subject
#73 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 12:35 PM
You don't build sub lots, certainly never use aptsublot as lottype when using changelotzoning, as you might loose the entire lot (it disappears). The game changes the different playable areas of an apartment to sublots when converting the lot.
Test Subject
#74 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 10:24 PM
Ive skimmed through the thread, and didnt see this mentioned- if it has I apologize.

My most recent apartment had attached garages to foundations, as well as a common basement. and I eventually discovered the only thing preventing the conversion to an apartment from residential was custom modular stairs. When replaced with maxis moduar stairs, it worked great.
Hope this helps someone else troubleshoot.
Test Subject
#75 Old 15th Oct 2008 at 12:12 AM
A little help
People have mentioned having trouble with an error message appearing when they enter the cheat. I had the same issue, it says something along the lines of "one of the apartments in this lot is incomplete....fix it", something like that. Anyway, once you click out of the message nothing seems to of changed in your apartment lot, like the letter box is the same and everything is enabled. But, i just saved it anyway and went into neighborhood and the game recognized it as an apartment block. Once I moved people in the letterbox appeared too. Hopefully this is the same message some of you have been getting and this helps.
Page 3 of 11