Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2006 at 1:24 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 7th Feb 2014 at 9:13 PM.
Default Colony Challenge
Hello all you simmers! This challenge is for those of us who have wondered what it would be like to start our own colonies.

The story: Well now, it certainly wouldn't be creative of you if we told you the story! Come on, impress us with your storytelling skills. Or, if it helps, take the idea for my story (when it's up).

1.This challenge is to be done in a new neighbourhood
2.You must start out with at least six couples, more if you want a slightly easier challenge.
3.Each couple starts out with 2,000 Simoleans.
4.Each couple gets their own lot. Can be any size.
5.No Community lots in the first generation that offer food.
6.Some things must be earned. Here is a list of things that will be earned:

Day one: Lot
Day two: Bed, cheapest double.
Day Five: the couple will get a small 5x5 room.
Day Six: A countertop
Day Seven: A sink
Day Eight: A shower
Wedding: Buffet
Birth: Wallpaper

7.Anything on the Earned list cannot be bought until the day it is earned.
8.The only jobs that can be held are entry level jobs.
9.If the couple has children one parent must stay home until all children have moved out.
10.Teens may move out with adults. Children may not move out at all.
11.All Children must attend school.
12.NO CHEATS unless using them to get reward objects.
13.If a birth happens during the first 8 days reward objects will be postponed until the child is a toddler.
14.No cc objects that are detrimental to the essence of this challenge.
15.The challenge ends when Either A) You interbreed too much or B) Your Sims reach ten generations.

I find it easiest to play multiple lots if I play each one for a sim week and then move on to the next.

I can't wait to see people's reactions!
Advertisement
#2 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 4:07 PM
Ooh... this looks interesting. Difficult, but interesting. I'll give it a go when I've got time- thanks for posting!
#3 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 4:10 PM
This seems like a good challenge...are those the only items we can have? What about refridgerators and toilets?
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 5:11 PM
yea what about refridgerators our sims will die before even the 8th day
Instructor
#5 Old 30th Aug 2010 at 2:08 AM
This sounds Like fun
Instructor
#6 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 3:04 AM
How I wish the Sims 2 genetics were more complex and real. There is something called The Founder effect which causes problems for isolated colonies. Our sims will not have any real problems with Founder effect. It causes a small population to depend on just a few individuals for much of their genetic heritage, causing diseases to be repeated and become more common. If you want, change your sims to obese and make them stay that way, create some odd looking faces, bulding chibi eyes , or any thing else that looks , well, stands out as odd. Allow some breeding with close relatives to make these traits easier to inherit. You don't need to make brother and sister marry, but you can use a testing cheats to simulate genetic mergers. After you've done that for two or three generations, let the succeeding generations marry normally. Look how many sims look alike, even identical, and maintain these traits.
Inventor
#7 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 3:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inoacharm
yea what about refridgerators our sims will die before even the 8th day

Well, not necessarily. I assumed that since neither stove nor refrigerator were on the list, you had to devise your own list. Perhaps part of "Come on, impress us with your storytelling skills."

That was my interpretation.

I think I would have to modify that list so that two things are earned each day. And I would certainly make the refrigerator and stove first.

Another thing I thought of is that a small house can be built.

On the first day, they can fish at the pond - if they have Seasons. Once they catch enough fish to feed the family - usually I make each adult catch one fish when I do this. This unlocks the house. So then you add a front door to the house for only one room - maybe just the living room, so they can have one sofa and one bookcase.

Immediately after they catch fish, they have to get jobs. Now the only thing they can do until when their first day of work starts is socialize with each other and every walkby. Or they can fish or study.

As long as they have fish, they don't need a refrigerator, but they will need a way to cook the fish. Sometimes, I make my families go to a very small community lot park to cook their fish and catch more. Because they can invite others to join them fishing without greeting them, they can build up relationship points there. Sometimes the small parks will have a chess table as well. But keeping it simple is better - socialize, fish, or cook fish. It is only slightly torturous for them. Hehehe.

I'm trying to think of what happens at the home lot if the sims don't have a bed or sofa to nap on. I can remember my sims not having any beds, but they always had a sofa to take turns using. My first sims in sims 1 never had more than one bed and one sofa.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 4:55 PM
I'm gonna try this and make the most successful family after three generations the monarchy, the next two nobility, the next two merchants, and the bottom three serfs.

My own Royal Kingdom Challenge where they earn their place in the kingdom.

I'll change the rules a bit too.

NO JOBS in the first generation. Only fishing, gardening, or digging for money & food.
1st day is grill
2nd day is bed
3rd day is toilet
4th day is sink
5th day is counter top
6th day is bathtub or shower
7th day is anything you want that is cheapest available and not electronic)
1st birth is small room
2nd birth (or first-born twins) is single crib
each toddler gets dog bed (only buy extra if you have multiple toddlers at a time)
1st child is couch
2nd child is single bed (one bed per child -1)

Check out my Apocalypse Challenge attempt @ ditzyekko.blogspot.com
Scholar
#9 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 9:23 PM
Oh, this is an interesting challenge!
My ideas for tweaks:
- During the first 8 days nothing else can be bought, only the listed items.
- Instead of a bed they get a tent.
- The couple starts out as roomates and needs to work towards marriage, so they can buy the buffet table. With no fridge allowed every meal must come from the buffet table, so it will be very expensive- as it should! The table represents provisions sent by the motherland, because the colonists are uncertain if they can eat the food in the new land.
(Tipp: Succesfull dates replenish your motives, including hunger. Excessive dating kept my starving stoneage fishermen alive through a harsh and especially long winter)
- Day 6: two of the cheapest chairs
- Day 7: a dining table
- Earn a toilet anytime by experiencing bladder failiure for the first time
- Earn plumbing anytime by digging up a water vein (first time: sink and bath mirror for sponge baths, second time: wooden bathtub, third time and beyond: any one of shower, pond, pool etc.)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 2:02 PM
Think Quaker, banquet halls, conformed tight knit relationships+community:
-interact to a dream date score and hold it -- (now do whatever you want like skillbuilding, socializing with others but) do not end date until they need to recover motives. End date to recover. Immediately ask out on a date after finishing a dream date. Interact towards dream date again...
-the fridge doesn't have to be offlimits, it's the closest thing to a pantry and we can stick to getting only grain and dairy based foods cereal and call it oatmeal.
-you want to replenish hunger bladder hygiene on community lots.
-with the appropriate EPs, grandma's comfort soup, fish, dig for treasure

if you think about it, it;s a hobo-family-live-off-the-community-garden hybrid
Instructor
#11 Old 10th Oct 2016 at 8:42 PM
How sad that there's so little traffic for this challenge, because I like it a lot. I'm giving it a try already, and I like it a lot.

One thing I'm wondering about: since a bath tub isn't on the restricted objects list, can it be bought early on? Because one week of Sims doing nothing but complain about the stink is absolutely no fun to play, and not realistic either - after all, a pond is allowes, and it's not as if human beings didn't wash before the advent of the kitchen sink/ shower.

My Sims have to earn their garden and landscaping with digging: once for a garden plot / 1Simoleon worth of landscaping. The stones and sticks (well, those disturbingly bone- like looking sticks) are used to build the walls of a house.

I'd like to know how others handle the "no shower or sink " week. Are you guys still playing this challenge?

"I hate to tell you this..." is a dreadful way to start a sentence. Don't do something you hate to do for my sake, I'm not that important.
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 7:35 AM
This is actually fairly similar to my default play, which is part legacy, part time-lapse. This would organize my neighborhoods, and give my poor townies a break! Methinks I should try.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 6:20 PM
I had a neighborhood similar to this challenge once. It was a colony challenge but it was combined with a stranded island challenge. I actually started about 10 sims off on one huge lot so they could pair themselves up. And they never had to earn a toilet. I just made sure that plant/bush toilet was on the lot. Saved me a lot of extra drama.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.