Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 9:23 PM
Starving Artist - Dawson Update 1
Hi everyone! Guess what? IT'S UPDATE TIME!

I'd just like to appologise in advance for my rudimentary knowlege of the Spanish language...

Well, things are going just as well as can be for Siobhan Dawson. After the tragic death of her mother, she moved into a small home by herself. She now gets by on her beautiful paintings and soon-to-be published (any day now) novels. She lives with her psychotic womrat, Itchy, who for some reason speaks spanish...

Being the exellent student she is, Siobhan has made honor role at school. According to a chance card, she's also in the percussion section. Guess it's that artistic blood shining through?

However, money is a little tight...Sometimes there isn't much money left over for groceries after the bills.

Itchy is a bad influance...

This is Juan, Siobhan's boyfriend. I was getting worried about her spending so much of her socialization time with a womrat.

He's also got a huge appitite. He comes over and eats all of Siobhan's food and then leaves dishes everywhere. Good thing she's got maxed cleaning points.

Siobhan soon learns the way to his heart. (Not through his stomach?!)

Juan is a vacation townie, so Siobhan invited him to stay as a houseguest for three days. She's only got one bed, and they don't seem to mind sharing. They're apperently not on spooning terms yet.

Well, that's all the update I've got for now. Soon, I'll ship Siobh and Juan (and Itchy, stowing away in Siobh's inventory) to University to get a completely useless degree. See you all soon!

Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.
Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Valis
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 16th Sep 2008 at 11:15 AM
College Time!

Hey everyone! Siobhan and Juan graduated highschool, so now everyone's going to college! I'll probably post a complete update this Friday (9/19/08.) For now, enjoy this teaser screen.

Lovies!

Test Subject
#28 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 2:31 AM
Womrats; They teach us all to appreciate freedom.

No time for an update today, I had so much school work, I barely had time to Sim. But, anyway, for your enjoyment, he's a funny little picture of Itchy and Juan. They don't...really like each other. :handbag: Competition over Siobhan, maybe?

Test Subject
#29 Old 20th Sep 2008 at 12:32 AM
Starving Artist - Dawson Update 2
Woo! It's time for...AN UPDATE! Who's exited? I know I am.

Last time:
- Siobhan and her womrat, Itchy aquired creativity skill points
- Siobhan got an A+ in school and $200 for being in drumline (chance card)
- We got a money tree
- Siobhan found a boyfriend, Juan, and they went steady
- Juan, Siobhan, and Juan left for college!

Welcome to the college years! The first of many. Anyway, Siobhan and Juan (and Itchy, of course) have moved into a little dorm room in a five-room dorm at Strange Town's La Fiesta college (where else would these three belong?) and things are going ok. No one's died yet (knock wood.)

This is the cafeteria man, Phill, who I absolutely love. He's a constant sorce of entertainment for me. This is the face he made after he farted and then smelled it.

This is Dormie-Scott, and he is a STALKER. He just stands around thinking about Siobhan or just plain staring at her. I left them on free will for ONE SECOND, and I come back and find this! Funny picture though. When did Siobh turn so vain? And oh, it does not end here.

I didn't even know sims could do that. Siobhan is a crazy little beast.

Dormie-Scott is seriously creepy.

I was getting tierd of Dormie-Scott stalking Siobhan, and was getting worried he'd try and flirt with her, so I had Juan show him what-for. How d'you like them apples!

LOLS. High lols.

I don't even know. I do NOT EVEN KNOW. I wasn't watching, and then suddenly, she started having morning sickness! I must have not been watching, but God forbid creepy Dormie-Scott is the father. I highly doubt it though, because they have no relationship score.

I'm a neglectful SimGawd.

Test Subject
#30 Old 20th Sep 2008 at 1:57 AM
Please Welcome...Ani Dawson!
Happy Birthday, Ani! The first child of generation two was born today, and she's a cutie!! Ani has her mother's skin tone, (original) hair color, and eye color....and super thick eyebrows? Those must be Juans!

Test Subject
#31 Old 20th Sep 2008 at 3:37 PM
Starving Artist - Dawson Update 3
Time for an update!

Last time:
- Siobhan is stalked by Dormie-Scott
- Juan tells Dormie-Scott to buzz of with a swift glass of water to the face
- Siobhan becomes pregnant!
- Siob and Juan finish the 1st semester of Freshman year with an A- and and A+, respectively. Juan snagged a spot on the dean's list!

This is the 2nd semester of freshman year. It's going by so fast!

Juan's hair was being glitchy, and I thought it looked a lot like an eye-patch. Pirate Juan shivers my timbers...

The birth of Ani. Juan was being TOTALLY innatentive while the rest of the dormies ran around making squalking noises. See Dormie-Scott there in the back? Well, guess what? He moved out as soon as Ani was born! To make room for the new Sim, I guess, though Ani shares a room with Juan and Siobhan. Anyway, being the hopeless romantic I am, I like to think it's because he couldn't stand to see the spawn of Juan and Siobhan. LOLS. But that's not the last we hear of Dormie-Scott (is it ever?) He calls ALL THE TIME! I guess he really wants to be in the legacy...

Ani Dawson, being all cute and sweet. She's got max clean, active, and nice points (?!?!) she's shy and serious. I have a feeling I'm gonna love playing Ani. Maybe she'll be heir? IDK, I'll have to see what her brothers/sisters are like. I kind of want a male heir.

Juan is an incompetant parent. But did you expect anything else?

The Nanny came to watch Ani while Siobhan and Juan were at their final exams, and she used the MENS toilet! WTF?!

Well, that's all for now. I think I'll be moving the family into a larger dorm for more people to socialize with. Until next time!

Test Subject
#32 Old 24th Sep 2008 at 12:17 AM
Hello everyone!

Just checked in to say that I'll be taking a break from the Starving Artist Challenge to work on my first Legacy family. So don't expect any updates soon, but I will be continuing to play the S.A.C., so check in every once in a while.

9/23/08

Scholar
#33 Old 22nd Oct 2008 at 6:15 PM
Okay, I might be asking a stupid question here but it doesn't make it clear in the rules as it only mentions adoption and aliens.

But can your controllable Sim Woohoo other Sims and thus have a non-alien genetic baby?

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Test Subject
#34 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 9:28 AM
I love this challenge, I have just started it with a teen called Meredith, who currently has around 8 or 9 creativity points , and counting! I just need to know, are you allowed pets? (she recently adopted a stray) if so, are pets allowed jobs? and can they have litters, and when they do, are you allowed to sell them? thanks!
Test Subject
#35 Old 26th May 2011 at 8:08 PM
I have ambitions and WA ep's would photography, sculpting, and inventing be okay to use since those are artistic jobs?
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 27th May 2011 at 2:43 PM
Ima gunna attempt this... Okai?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique.
Just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead
Test Subject
#37 Old 28th May 2011 at 6:15 PM
sooo...you know how every family gets 20,000 to start with? well i found that it's quite a bit of money. only costs 2,900 for the 3x2 lot, and i still have over 15,000 to furnish the house. this is more than enough to live on for a long time. is that the point of this challenge? to live off of the 20k that we started with? or should i destroy some stuff and start off with not as much money? because right now i have the best furniture possible, and i don't think a starving artist would have the latest model stove :P
Test Subject
#38 Old 31st May 2011 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dim Sim
sooo...you know how every family gets 20,000 to start with? well i found that it's quite a bit of money. only costs 2,900 for the 3x2 lot, and i still have over 15,000 to furnish the house. this is more than enough to live on for a long time. is that the point of this challenge? to live off of the 20k that we started with? or should i destroy some stuff and start off with not as much money? because right now i have the best furniture possible, and i don't think a starving artist would have the latest model stove :P

No, you have to reduce your family funds to 5.00 or less then you have to work your way back up to earning more money and building your house. Hence why it's called Starving Artist challenge :D

Here is the link to mine
http://ourxworld-dreamy32910.blogsp...5/prologue.html

Post the link to yours and I'll read it

ps.I'm using sims 3 for this challenge.
Test Subject
#39 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 6:52 PM
started this challenge yesterday and she's already an adult :DD
It's so fun. And she actually made good money just painting o_O weird, i didn't think i would be able to do it. But now she's an adult and had an affair with some dude and has a son name Steele. This challenge, is one of the best so far.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 3:02 AM
i'm also just starting this challenge... i did attempt it twice already - with disastrous results, lmao! but i started fresh with a new starving artist teen, and she's nearing womanhood now. like the person above me she's starting to earn well from her paintings so the simoleons are starting to climb up a bit further again... will be interesting to see if i can keep this going through 10 generations.

am not using any of the cheats specified as not allowed. i found it far easier to start my teen sim with a popularity aspiration and allow them to make heaps of friends (ok, i cheated a bit with that but it wasn't in the rules so i just allow this teen to make as many friends as she wants). popularity sims actually like making a dollar or two from their artwork and can get creative too, so they're worth looking at for aspirations. coincidentally - or not - the first two tries that resulted in my sim dying early in her life (late teen/early adulthood) were when she had a knowledge aspiration. even though they like seeing ghosties, knowledge sims can still die from enough ghost-scares!

i was also wondering if part of this challenge is to ignore uni altogether? i seemed to read into that from the rules that state the teen sim has to remain on the lot for life, raising the next generation there and dying there? perhaps i read it wrong, but i have ensured the starving artist remains unemployed and stays in the small house they live in. i do have the uni ep so i could send them to uni but i like how the challenge is going so far and i believe this was sort of what the OP was aiming for.

so far my teen is managing well and starting to earn enough to break even for regular expenses (bills, food).... if this keeps up for my teen sim (nearly adult now) she will soon be able to afford further upgrades in her home. i am considering keeping her childless for some time as an experiment to see if i can build a nicer life for her based on the sales of her paintings.

will be back at some point to post pics heh, liking this challenge, it's hard but fun.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 8:18 AM
Default Starving artist teen, Anai Zha Sousxie makes her debut.....
Ok, back again with some pictures to help me tell the story a little better. I liked Chloe93's idea of using pictures to show visuals of the sim's progress, so I've made a little story of my own. My pics are a bit amateurish, lol, but they tell the story... anyway...

I broke the first rule with this challenge in not building a new home for the teen and her parent sim. Instead I moved Anai Zha Sousxie and her father, Sid into a cheap, unfurnished two-bedroom Veronaville property to the value of $12,444. I then used the remainder of the family's starter $20K to furnish the place, leaving a paltry $46 to get by on.

I managed to fully furnish the house with all the basic amenities, ensuring that I bought an espresso machine for all those late nights Anai Zha was going to need to be up painting. I left out interior lighting for now so Anai Zha can build up some savings to properly furnish the house in future. Of course, I didn't bother buying a bed for Sid as his days were numbered from the outset.

Here's the house:

In keeping with the challenge I made sure neither Sid nor Anai Zha are employed. Insimenator cheat was used to supply sims with mobile phones and a relationship adjustor was used for Anai Zha's friendships with other sims. No other hacks or cheats are being used for this challenge and it has been a challenge to keep Anai Zha happy, awake and taking care of her little house on top of her budding art career. As requested for the challenge, Anai Zha's needs are never fully met, though she endeavours to be happy regardless...

So to introduce the main character of the story, meet our starving teen artist, Anai Zha Sousxie:

With natural flair and creative talent, Anai Zha has begun a lifelong career of art for arts' sake:

When Anai Zha is not busy painting a new masterpiece to sell for her living or out and about with friends, she spends moments alone with her father's gravestone in the back yard, grieving, ranting and letting him really hear it...

She even puts time aside in her evening while waiting for the paint to dry so she can pay her respects to Sid, unaware that his ghost roams the house at night when she's asleep!

The story just wouldn't have been the same had I not spent some time on Sid's death and subsequent mourning for Anai Zha, as a part of her childhood has been lost along with his passing....

So when Anai Zha is not busy painting;

She is meeting new people;

Spending time online in chat with people;

Talking to her friends incessantly on her little mobile phone;

And of course, making fast friends;

Anai Zha is almost ready to grow up into adulthood, with only 2 days left until her big day. Will be back at some stage soon with birthday pics and more of the story to come.....
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 5:30 PM
Default Anai Zha Grows Up And Continues Her Art Career....
Ok, back again with more from starving teen artist, Anai Zha's story...

Anai Zha has met and fallen in love with her hunky red-headed neighbour, Gary Fairweather. He's an adult sim and a married one too - just a handsome guy Anai Zha is having an illicit affair with. As per the challenge rules, he will not be moving in, nor having any children with Anai Zha. Here's some pictures of the loved-up couple:

Anai Zha is so enraptured by her first love, Gary;

How sweet eh? Anai Zha will continue to see this guy for awhile, at least, until she meets someone more fantastic than him anyway.

So as promised, I said I would update with Anai Zha's birthday pictures and continue on with the story from there, so - here are her birthday pics from her teen transition to adult birthday party;

Anai Zha claps her hands with joy after blowing out her candles amongst all her friends:

Everyone watches with wonder as Anai Zha turns from teen to adult before their eyes:

Anai Zha is a proud new woman!:

As an adult Anai Zha is now selling masterpieces of her artwork and pulling in amounts of more than $500 per painting. Even so, she wanted to expand her horizons and growing into an adult has enabled her to start novel writing. Her first ever novel was a best-seller immediately and sold for nearly $3000!:

To Be Continued......
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 5:35 PM
Default The Second Generation Begins!
As the challenge requires, in order to have progeny to continue on with the second generation of "starving artists", Anai Zha must either get alien pregnant, pregnant to a npc only (pregnancy with any other user-created character incurs a minus point) or adoption through the children's welfare agency. Anai Zha chose to adopt and she was busy at work on a new masterpiece the following day when the social worker showed up with a baby girl for her. Orphaned by her mother through a terrifying death, this beautiful blonde girl will be the second generation "starving artist" to continue on this challenge...

Welcome baby Ayla Sousxie, born Sunday, 17th of July at 2.47am :lovestruc

"We just know you're going to make a great mother! Enjoy your darling baby girl!" - the social worker gives Anai Zha a smile with her new baby girl:

In no time, baby Ayla makes it to toddlerhood:

And during the short time Ayla is a toddler, she earns 3 creative skill points and 2 logic skill points from her toys, to help her with her future career in the family business of selling original art. Doting mother, Anai Zha has a birthday for toddler, Ayla to celebrate her transition from toddlerhood to childhood with a cake and candles:

Happy Birthday Ayla!!!:

Anai Zha is a loving mother and tucks her beautiful adopted daughter in at night;

And then gets back to work on her art:

Anai Zha has made enough progress financially to have installed proper lighting in the house and replaced her older bath with a bath/shower unit. Still dirt-cheap items, Anai Zha is not yet making enough money to start living with more luxury items, but progress is indeed happening. It's also being helped by the addition of another easel and getting young Ayla into art as well:

Still earning less than $100 for her paintings, Ayla is not discouraged and continues to paint even when alone, collecting more creative skills as she goes:

Not to be forgotten so quickly, the ghost of Sid Sousxie haunts the yard at night, unbeknown to Anai Zha or Ayla:

Creepily, he re-enacts his painful death of a horrible disease that ultimately robbed him of his last breath:

He seems content at this point not to overly haunt Anai Zha or her child inside the house, even though at times Anai Zha has been up in the wee hours to work on her art.

Ayla is doing extremely well in school, getting A+ grades and doing her homework. With only two days left to go before Ayla reaches her teens, she is doing well in almost all areas of her life. Anai Zha is confident she will do well for the second generation of artists in the family. Here's Ayla after school, jumping for joy with her A+ report card:

Anai Zha apparently still isn't sick of her lover Gary Fairweather yet and he sometimes stays overnight, dreaming of her with love in his heart. As an adult, Anai Zha is happy to continue seeing her love without any real commitment while raising young Ayla to be a famous artist:

Next up in the story I am planning on giving Anai Zha a makeover and new clothes for Ayla when she reaches her teens. There will of course be pictures of Ayla's birthday parties over time from her childhood to teens, to her adulthood in the future. Beyond that I'm going to play it by ear, though I will endeavour to keep Anai Zha childless and growing into her elder years so she will be the next artist to die and leave her headstone in the family plot outside. Ayla will be the next generation to follow, though I expect she will be an adult herself by the time she is alone in the house.
Test Subject
#44 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 10:50 PM
Hi i know its been a long time since someone posted (i think) but just on the off chance how much money do they start with to build a house and what is the amount after their house is made?
Forum Resident
#45 Old 25th Jul 2011 at 9:26 PM
This sounds cool! I've never done a challenge before! (except for challenging myself to actually play a family for more than one real day....) I will post my pictures but im not exactly sure how to put them up so i'll get on that...
Forum Resident
#46 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 5:11 PM
Do the teens stop getting homework when the parent dies? Mine hasnt brought home any this week
Forum Resident
#47 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dreamer32910
No, you have to reduce your family funds to 5.00 or less then you have to work your way back up to earning more money and building your house. Hence why it's called Starving Artist challenge :D

Here is the link to mine
http://ourxworld-dreamy32910.blogsp...5/prologue.html

Post the link to yours and I'll read it

ps.I'm using sims 3 for this challenge.

Where does it say that? I read all the rules for this challenge and it doesnt say to reduce funds
Test Subject
#48 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 1:38 AM
Wow... This is kinda nuts.
Test Subject
#49 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 3:50 AM
Glad to see this post is still alive and people are still doing this challenge. I have to start over though so I'm on my second round. Fun challenge though!
Test Subject
#50 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:17 AM
Wauw, this is a really cool challenge but I do not think I have the patience!!!
Page 2 of 3