Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#26 Old 4th May 2009 at 6:39 PM
Most of the people who went did not get to play; they said they had problems only 3 installs with game per 3 computers

some talk about it at uk ea forums
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 4th May 2009 at 9:28 PM
I managed to get to play. In addition, I was able to watch other people until my turn came. Full report will come later.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Original Poster
#28 Old 4th May 2009 at 9:43 PM
just got home after a looong day i will have a full review up tomorrow afties the manchester session went fine. They were running a little late and one poor lady couldn't play because there was no wheelchair access but for me it went smooth
Mad Poster
#29 Old 4th May 2009 at 9:57 PM
Great! I'm looking forward to those reports. Please make them as detailed as possible.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 4th May 2009 at 10:33 PM
Here's the basic notes. Enjoy, and I'll try my best to answer any questions.

CAS

- There is a colour palette for EVERYTHING! Clothes, eyeliner, blush, eyes, hair, you name it, it’s there. I ended up with two silver haired Sims with the deepest blue eyes you have ever seen.
- You can put freckles and/or beauty marks on your Sims.
- There’s Multicoloured blush.
- Jewelry comes with the base game.
- In the hair section, the view is of the side of the face so you can see what it looks like properly.
- There are reasonable bikinis and swimming costumes! And with the colour palette, you won’t wish to gouge your eyes out anymore!
- There are three separate voices for each age group, and you can adjust the pitch to whatever you want.
- Traits are placed in five categories – Mental, Physical, Lifestyle, Social, and All.
- There are high-heeled shoes. :P

Gameplay

The game play in this was absolutely brilliant! It was definitely my favourite part. Here’s the quick list of what I saw/learned.

- No familyfunds cheat, alas. Motherlode still works though.
- There’s no auto-load when you place a family in their first home.
- When you move to a different home, you can do it via the computer. That gives you options on who will move with you, and if you will take the furniture with you or not.
- One of the surprises happened when the person I watched entered their home for the first time and found out that her home was on an ancient burial groud, and she was asked whether she wanted to immediately get rid of the ghosts, or if she wanted to manage it. She said yes to the second choice, so the lot had several ghosts in it. Later, the Repoman appeared and offered to get rid of the ghosts for her, and as she was getting bored of them she said yes. Ghostbuster Repoman to the rescue!
- SIMS CAN USE CORNER COUNTERS!
- Leftovers can be put away in the fridge.
- If you have no car but still have a drive way and a place to park, the welcome wagon arrives in a car.
- Flamingos can be included in the CAST, so we saw red flamingos.
- Most expensive car was 105,000 simoleons.
- There’s an option to sit on the edge of fountains.
- Tables and chairs are automatically locked together, so when you move the table the chairs come with it. Likewise, when you delete/sold the table, the chairs are deleted/sold too.
- There’s an extra-long dining table.
- Buy and build mose are either in the usual categories, or in a picture mode where you click on the item you want.
- Deja-vu furniture! There were several Sims 2 style furnishings that had been updated for the Sims 3.
- You can Engrave Epitaph on the graves, which allows you to write a short message.
- Video games within the game include NFL, Skate, and Need for Speed.
- There are ceilings.
- You can learn about Sims when you chat with them, e.g. traits, money level, careers, whether they are single, in a relationship, engaged, or married, etc.
- You can hold a baby and talk to others. Not sure about other actions.
- There’s a food called Goopy Carbonara. Yes, you get to eat Goopy.
- You can tell your Sims to automatically invite someone over by clicking their picture in the Relationships section.
- 3 volumes for Stereo – Low, Medium, or High.
- You can watch TV in High Definition.
- You can buy new cooking recipes at the bookshop.
- Computers go in the middle of desks.
- You can actually see the gossip! For example, when two of my Sims gossiped, pop-up came up saying “People are saying Tori Kinura is actually an alien, living undercover in our neighbourhood!”.
- When your Sims move to a new home, they can ‘Enthuse about New Home’ to other Sims.
- Each bookshelf has different books on it, and you can choose which ones to read. Books include the following – ‘The Crumplebootom Legacy: A Tale’, ‘Demand Excellance or You’ll get Mediocrity’, ‘Zombies? Zombies!’ and ‘The Noble History of Socks’. There’s also a number of baby/pregnancy related books for expecting mothers to read.
- Teens can hang out on playground equipment.
- Sims can get an ‘Unfinished Room’ moodlet if the room they’re in isn’t wallpapered and/or floored.
- The paper is delivered by children, and there’s a different one each day.
- When you get a job, they tell you the name of your boss so you can go and smooze them to your heart’s content.
- Advanced warning if kids/teens will bring home a friend.
- Teens and children have a curfew to be home by.
- You can talk classes at the rabbit holes which increase your skill levels.
- Raising your skill levels can give you advantages, i.e. if you increase your athletics skill, you get the option to ‘Work Out Without Making A Sweat’, meaning your Sims won’t get smelly.
- When you read the newspaper, pop-ups appear tell you what’s happened in the news.
- A townie gave birth to a baby girl called Tawanna.
- Buyable décor includes a giant Military Guard Tower.
- Teens don’t have Lifetime Wishes until they grow up.
- If your teens and children do really well at school and end up on the honours list, you may be able to choose their new triat when they grow up. The better you do in school, the better the trait will be if you can’t choose.
- Criminal career’s workplace is the ‘Outstanding Citizan Warehouse Corp’.

Trait-Related Stuff

Okay, in my time playing, I created three Sims – Puck, and his twin teen children Pietro and Wanda.

Puck - Green Thumb, Good Sense of Humour, Kleptomaniac, Dare-devil, and Family Orientated.

Pietro - Hot-Headed, Kleptomaniac, Snob, Athletic.

Wanda - Artistic, Flirty, Hot-headed, Lucky.

Puck ended up stealing a dustbin from the local park, and loved to hug his children. He was also able to talk to plants, although I don’t know if all Sims could do that or if it was because of his Green thumb. He was also able to have special options to entertain other people, and thanks to the Dare-devil trait could take an 'Extreme Sleep' or an 'Extreme Nap'. His Lifetime wishes that I had to choose from was Become a Master Thief, Become an Astronaut, Be Surrounded by Family (raise 5 children from baby to teen), Have a Perfect Garden (Grow 8 Plants/Fruit), and Lap of Luxury (100,000 simoleons).

Pietro often wandered off to admire himself in the mirror, and was able to ‘Brag about Fishing Accomplishments’ after he caught a minnow. He was also able to ‘Talk about Self’ and ‘Talk about Possessions’. He was able to learn athletic Skill faster, and had the option to ‘Imply Your Mom’s A Llama’.

Wanda also had the last option, as well as several others. She had several special flirting behavours, such as ‘Confess Attraction’, ‘Give Marvelous Massage’, ‘Use Pick-up Line’, and several others. She often rolled up the wish to flirt a lot. Her Lucky trait often gave her an added moodlet which made her happier, while her artistic side often showed up in being able to ‘Talk about Art’, as well as an option when you click on her to ‘Go to Art Gallery’.

The girl next to me had the Evil trait on her Sim. She had options to 'Take an Evil Shower', 'Have an Evil Bath', 'Donate to the Undermine Cupid Trust', 'Practice World Dominations Speech', 'Have an Evil Bath', 'Have an Evil Sleep', as well as other options.

Opportunities

Over my time playing, I got the chance to see several Opportunities for my Sims. Puck had to go straight from his work at the Outstanding Citizan Warehouse Corp in order to deliver a package to City Hall. Pietro got school credit and cash for fixing the school’s boiler after school, and was later asked to catch a fish and deliver it to the Landgrabb Science Faculty for an experiment. Wanda had to read ‘Demand Excellance or You’ll get Mediocrity’ for school credit, and later got the opportunity to work for Doo Peas Corperate Tower for school credit and cash.

Well, that's it for my notes. I took many of them.

Oh, and Mortimer's parents are bloody hot.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

Mad Poster
#31 Old 4th May 2009 at 10:50 PM
That's a nice review, and quite a lots of new info and details. Did yo get a chance to check out the building options and see if the two tile grid around the lot where you couldn't build was still in place ?
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 4th May 2009 at 11:04 PM
Thanks.

Unfortunately, there is still a barrier around the edge, but I THINK it's only one tile. Not sure though.

By the way, forgot some things. Re-editing the report. Look again in the few minutes in the Traits section.

Mad Poster
#33 Old 4th May 2009 at 11:11 PM
Thanks. I suppose one tile is still better than two. Anyway, when sims can watch movies in high definition, is the image that we see actually better or is it somethign that only sims perceive?
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 4th May 2009 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Thanks. I suppose one tile is still better than two. Anyway, when sims can watch movies in high definition, is the image that we see actually better or is it somethign that only sims perceive?

Not sure. I didn't actually have a TV, it was when I watched someone else that I got to see the HD thing. I don't think it's just restricted to movies though.

Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 5th May 2009 at 2:36 AM
Yay SilentPsycho! Thanks so, so much for all the info!

I wonder what's the difference between a regular nap and an 'Extreme Nap' or 'Evil Nap'? Can Daredevil sims nap anywhere and Evil sims giggle devilishly in their sleep? LOL

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Mad Poster
#36 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:05 AM
It sounds awesome but I will still wait for an expansion pack to come out 1stt hen play it.

I have questions about skin tone and etc. Do they really look clay or does EA just show us bad images? Are there face templates or do you simply scroll the bar identifying how big the nose/ears/eyes, cross out the unnecessary, are?...

Thank you :D
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 5th May 2009 at 7:56 AM
Kyle, I think the clayness might depend on the creater. Mine looked a little bit clay, but that's because I'm not a good Sim-maker, plus you have to get used to the new CAS. One thing though, is that in game once they actually start doing stuff, you don't really notice stuff like that.

And there's both face templates and sliders. You can choose from two icons at the top of each section - Basic or Advanced. Advanced has all the sliders and stuff. Hope this helps.

Happycowlover, I'm not sure, I forgot to look at Puck when he's sleeping, but I think Extreme Sleep made his energy bar go up faster, but I really didn't test that bit properly.

Field Researcher
#38 Old 5th May 2009 at 1:54 PM
Very awesome, PsychoSilent. So ... would you say that you were pleasantly surprised? Did any of the stuff that Parsimonious Kate mention in her long-gone review there for you to be upset by ... or did they manage to fix some things?
Original Poster
#39 Old 5th May 2009 at 2:23 PM
my two hours
a walkthrough of my experience

loading cas I knew exactly the sim I wanted to create, and the exact traits I wanted to use. I made jimmy: a kooky but adorable nerd, who was a hopelessly romantic bookworm, clumsy, absent minded and never nude. Messing about with the sliders I could create him exactly how I imagined him.... but when I created a new sim just to mess with the sliders, I found that it was hard to create a rugged, chiselled male face
(but then again when I first created Sims for the Sims 2 they all looked the same)

The colour options where wonderful, the eyes(god the eyes are gorgeous they actually move) hair and clothes could match my sim exactly. The deeper more extreme colours did look a little flood filled so a neon raver’s outfit would look rather like bad cc, but the clothes where great (although a graphic tee and skinny’s is really the most alternative you can get)

Another thing I loved was the skin tone slider, all the cc skins I have in game don’t add up to the wonderful ethnic variety you can get with the slider... then again one little pet peeve was that the skins didn’t go pale enough . It would have been nice to have a porcelain powdered skin tone, without it looking alien.

Another great option is the accessories, the choice of glasses was great and there where gloves and god knows what else. Also Sims can have freckles and beauty marks which is another plus.

moving on I found that you have sliders to change your Sims voice (think mysims) so no more monotone same voice Sims.

On to traits I found them really great, there is just enough choice without leaving you scrolling for hours (although I wish the shy trait was still there) I also found you can choose your Sims favourite food, colour and music type I didn’t figure out what this did exactly but I’m betting it would have given some perks.

At the end of my sim making I got to choose jimmies lifetime want he chose to be a chess champion(or something like that) which involved maxing out the chess skill and the logic skill.
After I created jimmy, it was time to move him in I put him in a quaint little home in suburbia (you can choose to buy houses furnished or unfurnished) and set him off on his new life.

Buy and build mode again had colour wheels for everything, you can now build walls one tile from the edge but a lot of the furni is Sims 2 recycled (for example the seasons country set was there) but the stuff is pretty and the quality upgrade makes up for it.

To start I sent jimmy exploring (with the help of a few motherlodes) and while the beach waterfall and lake where extremely beautiful, I found there was little to do other than fish. The community lots as many had feared are rabbit holes. The library I found is a comm. Lot but the art gallery, bookstore, 50’s diner etc where all just pretty shells. Each rabbit hole has relevant sounds when one is close enough but for me choosing ,eat>> eat alone $18 on a pie menu for the fifties diner was a little pointless when you can just eat at home and watch the animations, anyway...

Most community lots have a Varity of options, the bookstore for example lets you browse, buy or get a part time job and when your Sims are rich you can buy out shares of community lots and become a partner (picking up your profits each week).

Also I found that books are no longer magic if you want to learn cooking and mechanical skills you can no longer use the all in one green book. You must buy volumes (e.g. cooking volumes one to three) to learn skills and stock your bookcase with the things you need.

(A cute item is a motherhood guide which I think will give parenting skill when finished (i didn’t have time to finish it))

Moving on I shall now completely switch subjects and go onto wants and needs. First off you CAN! see all the Sims need bars hurrah! but also you can ignore them and wait for little pop ups that tell you what your sim needs.
(e.g., one is: sleepy 3 hours which basically means in 3 hours time your sim will pass out so get em in bed)

Wants where a bit of a letdown for me, when it started it was great my sim had three wants. Finish a book, study a logic book and play chess, which I could promise (locking it) or ignore it (deleting it) after that though I had a period of almost a full sim day where my sim was want less... which for me was a bit annoying.

Sims also get perks which up Sims moods just for doing basic activities. One perk for example is: had a good meal, which lasts for eight hours. This perk slows down hunger decay until its time is up, giving more time for the fun things in life. One thing I found is that things take much longer in 3 than 2, friendship making is tres difficult, and sleeping even on triple speed takes a hell of a long time.

Social interactions are grand (if some a little silly) as my sim was a bookworm and a hopeless romantic he had around 20 extra social interactions, most of them for the romantic trait but also things like talk about books. I also found when I played another sim, that learned skills carry social options...
for example a sporty military sim had the option to salute and to express her need for exercise .

Also different options discover different things, complimenting a Sims home I managed to find out she was a snob, and talking about work led me to find out she was also a workaholic.

watching Sims travel was great (although when your Sims on a bike expect them to cycle straight through people and cars :P)
and a journey from one side of town to the other is super quick thanks to grand theft auto style driving.

At work you have a drop down menu for options which increase or decrease a Sims job performance in turn increasing or decreasing a Sims mood. In the science career I had the following options

Work extra hard

Work normally

Meet colleges

Geek out with colleges

Help boss with research

Do solo research project

all resulting in different outcomes of job performance. The day at work is really just watching the rabbit hole, but the scenery is beautiful so it’s not really a pain. And is much better than waiting at home for the carpool. Like with shops, career buildings have several options, from becoming a partner to simply touring the place (the science building also has the option to hand in bugs for scientific research just a little thing i like :P)

for jimmy to advance in his career he needed a higher gardening skill which led me to realise one can harvest fruit from any tree no matter if it’s on your home lot or not.

When I got to this point in my game however i pressed the wrong button and buggered the game so I started fresh with premade Sims again here is an incoherent babble of my finding.

first I played the Goths and one of the cutest things i found is that wittle morty and Bella are bestest friends already! How cute is that. You can just see them growing up as each other’s first love :P

Another thing i found is that i got bored with playing them so i moved on to another family. A family with dun dun dun a BEBE!

Here is where I confirmed my fear that babies are just human pigs in blankets, sitting there doing nothing but blink and poop. Because of this I wanted to age up the little blighter and set the ageing to top speed (which is way to fast) within the next few sim hours, the baby was a toddlie and the adults where elders.

At this point my butt was really hurting, and I was fed up with random town folk staring at my computer game and going ooh Sims oi give us a go....

so I proceeded to strop and watch my Sims take care of themselves. Left to their own devices I found that Sims ARE STILL DUMB!

Within a sim day the toddler was starving, about to pass out with zero hygiene (no social worker came though so I’m wondering if toddlers can die) and the dad of the house had wandered off to paint leaving food in the oven causing the whole ground floor to burn.

(Here I found that furniture however has a burned state so your Sims can enjoy a baked couch or crispy counter.) Now I’m gonna moan a little about this, because Sims still play the guitar or paint rather than eat when there starving. They still play catch for hours when they have no hygiene and they still watch TV when they really should be sleeping (don’t expect a sim to get to work if you haven’t got it an early night and a good meal)

this was a peeve for me but overall I did like the game, what I will say is that Sims three is like the Sims 2 it’s a base game missing a lot; void of perfection and in need of something extra. A game that doesn’t leave you with a dire need for more, but enjoyable and a game that has really evolved from the Sims 2.

ooh wait I almost forgot inventory. Things in a Sims inventory can be used just like they could if they were on the table, simply click on ... for example the laptop in a Sims inventory, click on chat to ... and your sim pulls it out of their pocket and places it on the nearest table comm. Lot or not.
So with a strange bubble of a review with too many awesome and then I found outs I end with your questions ( I didn’t answer many build/buy question cause that part of the game doesn’t really interest me too much.) if your question isn’t her I’m sorry but I didn’t find it out, if you want to know something else please ask. A lot happened in two hours so I may have forgotten something you would want to know.

Is Brianna married?

Couldn’t even find her

Will houses eventually appear on empty lots? What I mean is will townies your not playing put a house on an empty lot and move in?

I didn’t see that no

Can your sim once it moves out of a house move into another one or do they go to the sims bin first?I think I read they can move immendienly into another but I don't remember where I saw it.

They can move immediately using a phone or computer. they can also choose to take their furni or sell it.

How far away from the beach is Lake Falls?Also are there any more places similar to Lake Falls?

Only one waterfall type place, and lake falls is very far away from the beaches’ (there’s two) it’s nestled in the mountains.

Can sims walk and hold hands at the same time?Also can they walk and talk at the same time?

They may be able to autonomously. but there is no pie menu option and I didn’t see any townies do it.

Can bikes be rode off road example on the beach in the sand?

What i saw Sims only used transport on roads, then the bikes poofed and they started running

How many miles of beach is there Sims can go to?

There is a lot of beach... a lot a lot

Can sims talk on cell phones while their walking?

I don’t think so, no.

When Sims chat online can they see the Sims picture their chatting with?

At first when you choose who you’re chatting with you do, but once you’ve chosen the picture goes.

Is there online personals?

No

Is Riverview connected to Sunset Valley or is it a different neighborhood?

I didn’t see Riverview but I’ve heard it is a different neighbourhood you can download at launch

Does Riverview have its own beach,lighthouse,movie theater etc?

See above

Is the romantic and tender kiss in the sims 3?

There are a lot of kisses

Also, do the different traits picked in CAS make much difference to the expression the Sims normally have on their face? Will nice sims smile more? Mean sims now have a somewhat angry look on their face even when having a good conversation.

I saw minor differences in normal tasks but you do see autonomous actions when they walk around etc
Also, you can tell traits now by the way Sims react to things. A lazy sim doesn't stand up straight when there are no actions queued next. A sloppy sim will pass gas and laugh about it after getting food all over while eating. A neat sim rubs his or her hands together in glee when asked to clean up. A romance sim struts and others think about him or her with hearts. What reactions you notice about these traits and aspirations would be interesting.

You can tell if you look but its not extremely obvious

I know others will be curious about how many different hairsyles there are for the different age groups and genders as well as style options for clothes.

There are a lot of hairstyles for adults (no dreadlocks though poo) but for toddlers there are three not including hats and kids don’t have it must better, clothing has quite a big varity few complaints with that.

Then, there's a quick run through what furniture styles exist and how to mix and match the wallpaper and furniture. Will the woods of the windows and doors and sofa legs and table tops all match now? So much to explore, so little time...

Every tiny bit of every bit of furni is changeable so yes everything can match the choice of furni is about as big as sims 2 is at base game level.

I would love to find out more about babies/toddlers! it seems we have very little info on them. Are there more interactions than TS2? Can babies leave the house with you? What objects are there for either of those life stages?

Toddlers have quite a few interactions but babies are worse than Sims 2 (toddlies can jump in the toy box :P) for furni think Sims 2 base game, there are two cribs one cheap and expensive. No changing tables and one highchair the toy selection is Sims 2 base game with playground bits as well.

Just curious, still gonna be foundations right? =P
yup

I just have one question: Can you see how sims with the Absent-Minded and Hopeless Romantic traits act? I hope it's not too much of a bother.

Absent minded i didn’t really see much off come through except a few animations, hopeless romantic however gives around 15 new romantic social interactions all available from a relationship bar of zero.

Can you also check whether there is still the 2tile border around the lot that you cannot build on?

Now it’s one tile
Alchemist
#40 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:09 PM
I'm not happy to hear the Sims are still as dumb as door knobs lol
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:39 PM
Mine weren't too bad, although I did discover that Puck enjoyed reading 'A Wizard in Pallaia' in the graveyard a bit too much. That's another thing, Sims can carry books in their inventory around with them and read them at places like the park or graveyard autonomously. I even saw one townie reading the newspaper while sitting on the edge of the fountain.

#42 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:58 PM
Was there an option to invite the sim over you was chatting with and thanks for answering my questions.
Original Poster
#43 Old 5th May 2009 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sharkloverplayer
Was there an option to invite the sim over you was chatting with and thanks for answering my questions.

if you mean on the pc, no the options are the same as sims 2
#44 Old 5th May 2009 at 4:26 PM
You said there was two beaches.Did you see another lighthouse on the other one?
Original Poster
#45 Old 5th May 2009 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sharkloverplayer
You said there was two beaches.Did you see another lighthouse on the other one?

no, the other beach is small. Nestled inside some hills/cliffs it's a bebe beach
Mad Poster
#46 Old 5th May 2009 at 9:17 PM
Great review honeynutcows! Enjoyed reading it, thank you for sharing.
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 5th May 2009 at 9:18 PM
LOL the 'Imply Your Mom’s A Llama’ thing is funny
Instructor
#48 Old 5th May 2009 at 9:48 PM
Wow, now I really can't WAIT!!!

I don't care that the Sims are just as done. If we can manage to deal with it now, we can manage to deal with it still.
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 5th May 2009 at 10:03 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you honeynutcows! I know you had a lot of fun.

Bummer that Absent-Minded sims don't have much special about them, but Hopeless Romantic sims sound very intriguing.

I like that sims are still ditzy. I wanted AI to improve but I don't want my sims to be too smart, that'd take the fun away from the game.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Alchemist
#50 Old 5th May 2009 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
Thank you, thank you, thank you honeynutcows! I know you had a lot of fun.

Bummer that Absent-Minded sims don't have much special about them...

I guess Sims are absent-minded enough without that trait.
Page 2 of 4