Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 5:49 PM
Default Neighbourhood Lifespan?
Okay so I understand that other neighbourhood families will progress (get married, die etc) when a simmer is playing but I was reading elsewhere and it was sounding like you can set the lifespan to 250-1000 days. Is this the lifespan of individual sims or of the whole neighbourhood? And if its of the whole neighbourhood what happens at the end? Does it restart?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 6:38 PM
That is the lifetime of your sims and also that of the sims in the whole neighbourhood. You can not set the lifetime of your sims only, so whatever lifespan you give them applies to the whole neighbourhood. When townies die, new ones will take their places and so on.
#3 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
You can not set the lifetime of your sims only, so whatever lifespan you give them applies to the whole neighbourhood.

You can turn household aging on/off, though.
#4 Old 13th Apr 2009 at 2:17 AM
The lifespan is for the Sims IN the Neighborhood...not the lifespan of the Neighborhood itself! So nothing needs to restart, Sims are born and die all the time and the lifespan is set by you, but it applies to all Sims.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Apr 2009 at 11:53 AM
Oh okay I understand thank you
Instructor
#6 Old 13th Apr 2009 at 3:33 PM
Although, if you don't create new families, I'd imagine that the neighborhood would eventually die, because with the seamless thing, random townies become somewhat... awkward, considering you can see and visit every living space in the hood. So I think we won't really have "townies" per se anymore.
#7 Old 14th Apr 2009 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blaztro
Although, if you don't create new families, I'd imagine that the neighborhood would eventually die, because with the seamless thing, random townies become somewhat... awkward, considering you can see and visit every living space in the hood. So I think we won't really have "townies" per se anymore.

That's not true...the other Sims in the neighborhood are marrying and having kids, creating new families. So the Neighborhood has an extremely low chance of dying, in fact there is probably code in the game that causes the Sims in the neighborhood to want to have kids if the population gets too low. Possibly.

It would never die really though, just get low of population.
#8 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 8:09 AM
I bet they would have some random townie like peoples move into the town if they ran out of too many sims, too.. As long as there were houses for them. Well.. Maybe. It'd be fun. lol
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 9:35 AM
I read in one of the previews that some random townies moved into a lot while the person was building it. I think we'll have to do a lot of townies kickout in order to give our sims some housing. I kind of wish that the population control will cause children to be born too and not just spawn new adult townies.
#10 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 5:05 PM
I read in one of the previews that some random townies moved into a lot while the person was building it. I think we'll have to do a lot of townies kickout in order to give our sims some housing. I kind of wish that the population control will cause children to be born too and not just spawn new adult townies.

How would that happen? Doesn't the neighborhood pause while you're in build/buy mode?
#11 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 6:26 PM

But they do have kids and stuff, right? So they'd have to reproduce to keep it going.. I think?
#12 Old 16th Apr 2009 at 12:00 AM
The neighborhood population is kept under control by Sims having babies, or not having babies. I haven't read the preview saying anything about townies moving into houses, like game-created ones. Got a link? And I doubt as you are building a house a townie would move in, sounds like you misread.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 17th Apr 2009 at 3:31 PM
The way I understand it is that the other sims will reproduce and keep the town going. I dont think it could die out unless u just kill everyone off. BUt even if that happened you could creat your own sims and put them in houses and have a whols bunch of pretty new sims.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 18th Apr 2009 at 1:27 PM
Do these babies get random townie names...like Goopy? Is there any way to change names in game for babies that are born without you playing that family?
#15 Old 20th Apr 2009 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySwig
Do these babies get random townie names...like Goopy? Is there any way to change names in game for babies that are born without you playing that family?

I hope not. But if they do, I really hope a Sims 3 version of SimPE will be available soon after the release because I'd want to edit any names I don't like. I actually do that now, but only with the somewhat decent looking townies that I want my sims to marry.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 27th Apr 2009 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySwig

It's been confirmed you can go to City Hall to change your Sim's name or their baby's name.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Test Subject
#17 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 1:33 AM
I just see the game progression here. The playground being an entire neighborhood instead of just 1 lot. Of course they needed to add things like sims reproducing to remove the player the load of work to keep your population running, etc. But I am sure they gave us the necessary control to make the game like we want or at the least that is what I hope for.
#18 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 5:18 AM
I see this "Free-will-have-babies" feature as an actual problem.

I mean.. what if you put two sims in a house and wanted to create a story for them but you wanted to put that on hold and focus on another family beforehand. You come back after you finished and see that the first family had kids, got married or died!

I mean.. is it just me or are we going to have less control over these Sims' lives in Sims 3.. ? >.>
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 4:41 PM
^^^You can choose the level of free-will for the neighbourhood though - low, medium, high i think it is, so if you put it on low they wont make those kinds of decision by themselves
#20 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 4:49 PM
I think it would be much better if you could choose the free will on individual houses as well as the neighborhood.

Does anyone know, if sims age if free-will is on low?
#21 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AngieSim

I mean.. what if you put two sims in a house and wanted to create a story for them but you wanted to put that on hold and focus on another family beforehand. You come back after you finished and see that the first family had kids, got married or died!

I mean.. is it just me or are we going to have less control over these Sims' lives in Sims 3.. ? >.>

I believe you can choose how long your sims live for, too.. So you can just up how long they live, put the free will on low, and it should, in theory anyway, be ok.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 28th Apr 2009 at 8:59 PM

There's an option to turn off the Story Progression, meaning they won't make the big decisions.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
#23 Old 29th Apr 2009 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentPsycho
There's an option to turn off the Story Progression, meaning they won't make the big decisions.

REALLY? So they won't get married?! <3 <3
#24 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 12:31 PM
REALLY? So they won't get married?! <3 <3

Yep.

Also having different free will/story progression controls for each house would probably cause a lot of problems with the neighbourhood simulator...or would at least complicate it. So that's probably why it's not included.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 5th May 2009 at 12:36 AM
Bottom line, does anybody know if you can turn aging off for characters/the entire neighborhood maybe?
Page 1 of 2