Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 7:39 PM
The reason he is considered a he is because Oregon seems to be one of the most liberal states in the union... hence my "figures they're from Oregon" comment. We were the first to legalize gay marriages (though i believe it has since been un.. legalized. is that a word? :D), so I'm assuming that its an Oregon (and possibly other states though I'm not so sure on that) law that if you have specific hormone therapy and do all these specific things then you can legally be considered a male. Though it could be a Hawaii thing, did he have the surgery in Hawaii or Oregon?

~*I'm a she*~
The Booty calls to you, you cannot resist it
I use Target and Kodak Gallery for my pictures, you should too... :D
My MTS2|Livejournal|Yearbook|Facebook
Advertisement
#27 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 7:47 PM
If you want to get right down to it.. Its still a woman having a baby, lol. i don't see anything really different from this.. Other than she wants to be a he. :D
Scholar
#28 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pixelhate
He/she will make all other men jealous. All men wants to know what is to be pregnant, otherwise why are men cultivating such big bellies ? ;-)

I think they're hoping to give birth to a keg, not an actual baby

Quote: Originally posted by haylifer
Erm.. I dunno. It wouldn't work, would it? If s/he's a transexual, and if s/he got still to get rid of the ladyhormones... And also there's testosterone around there! Surely that'll affect the pregnancy? I think there'll be complications o.o *voice of pessimism*

I think the hormone treatments he got last for something like 1yr (this is just a guess though). As long as he's past that point, I'd think that the pregnancy should be ok since he still has ovaries & a uterus to produce the correct female hormones (and no testicles to keep producing male hormones). If he's already gotten pregnant and miscarried twins, then it's probably been a pretty long time since his last hormone treatment.
shiny!
retired moderator
#29 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 10:17 PM
It's.. a tabloid.. geez people will believe anything :\

Newsflash.. The Sun is NOT a credible source Until someone comes out with one, I won't give such a thing another glance. But IF it were to be true I'd greatly fear for the health of the infant, since all that hormone therapy and things he/she went through could result in some nasty birth defects.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 10:26 PM
I think politics should stay out of the uterus. :C Point blank.
Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra

Newsflash.. The Sun is NOT a credible source Until someone comes out with one, I won't give such a thing another glance. But IF it were to be true I'd greatly fear for the health of the infant, since all that hormone therapy and things he/she went through could result in some nasty birth defects.

Just google "Thomas Beatie", it's not just the Scum. And like someone has said, the hormones are completely gone after a year, and as he's been pregnant before, it's highly likely he was way past a year since he stopping taking them.

Why is it always 'Oh, this will cause birth defects' anyway? Did people miss the bit at the bottom saying 'Doctors say that they are expecting a healthy baby girl'?

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Original Poster
#32 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra

It has since been reported on National news in the UK, as the "man" has apparantly spoken to a US gay magazine "The Advocate". Here's a link to the UK news programme website.

Although.. when it was reported on the programme, they interviewed some of his supposed neighbours and they said they knew nothing of it.. and that they thought it was a hoax!
So I'm not quite sure at the moment.. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
He could have tried to hide it from his neighbours before selling his story to a magazine though I suppose...

As, SilentPsycho points out, there are several newspaper sites running the story now, not just The Sun...
shiny!
retired moderator
#33 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 1:33 AM
Hmm okay, interesting.

There are unwanted consequences and problems which cannot always be detected pre birth. Whether or not the baby will be born healthy and remain healthy is yet to be seen. Taking hormones and things necessary for sex change aren't just as simple as ceasing to take them like coming off aspirin or something. It changes the chemistry of your body.

anyway pretty much all I have to say in the matter but it is interesting.
#34 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 1:46 AM
I saw this on Good Morning America yesterday--that seems like a credible source to me.
#35 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I guess what I don't get is how this person is considered legally male. I guess there is some surgery and hormones involved, but... just because you look like a man doesn't make you one.

People can legally change their sex if they have undergone treatments from a doctor. This usually includes hormone therapy and psychological therapy as well. They also have to live as their chosen sex for quite a bit of time as well. One has to petition the court to change their sex, and usually name change as well. It's never taken lightly, but people do it every day.

Also, HE apparently wrote an article about being pregnant for The Advocate. You can read about it here if you'd like.

Personally, I think what he is doing is wonderful. He and his wife wanted a child and she was unable to have them. I'm sure when he decided to become pregnant it wasn't something they both took lightly. He had to stop taking his hormones and who knows what that could do to his body anyway. I think as long as this child is going to be in a loving home, and I'm sure it is, there's nothing wrong here. I don't think the child is going to be traumatized when he or she learns about how they came to be. If anything, it'll help them to be more open-minded about the LGBT community.
#36 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by *katie*
Ok I came across this story in my paper this morning and it interested me...

The full story is here but to sum up, the "man" who is 5 months pregnant is actually a transexual, so he was born a woman.
As it is a tabloid, there obviously may be some untruths in the story... But what are your views?

Is this science gone too far? Or do you think it's perfectly acceptable?
What sort of life is the baby girl going to have? There is an opinion in the column in the left hand side of a doctor (supposedly anyway..) who believes her quality of life will be diminished.. do you agree?
If he gives birth successfully will this lead to similar cases cropping up?

This seems highly unlikely. Most trans gendered people take hormones that prevent pregnancy. Also, he doesn't have the correct reproductive organs to give birth, or get pregnant for that matter. This just seems like complete bunk to me.

But if it is hypothetically true, no, I don't think it would necessarily have any adverse effects on the child, so long as it is brought up in a stable, loving, and supportive home. Love and nurturing crosses all gender lines.
#37 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ferret II
WTF? Haha I dunno what to say about this.

I do... thanks to Monty Python. "Where's it going to gestate, in a box?"

(yes, I did read the article, and I know he technically has all the parts, but still, tell me that quote was NOT the first thing that came to mind for anyone who has seen "Life of Brian.")
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spiderviveka
Also, he doesn't have the correct reproductive organs to give birth, or get pregnant for that matter. This just seems like complete bunk to me.

Actually, he does. He still has the womb that he was born with, still has the vagina, etc. It's actually pretty risky to remove them from a FTM transgender, not to mention the clitoris is usually enlarged in order to create a sexually stimated basis for a penis creation surgery, so that isn't removed either.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by robokitty
In any case, this whole trans-sexual story sounds like complete hogwash. I think we all know what really happened:

That made me lol. I think I should make that guy a sim and put him in my game. Maybe his kids will have Pirate McSkittles' genetics. :nod:

I think it's quite amusing to hear that happen, but of course it never popped into my mind to hear about it. I wonder what's going to happen to the child. They'll probably be confused, unless they tell her the whole story about their father in the very begining. Otherwise he/she will probably say "I came out of daddy?" and learn in Sex Ed (a few years later) and come home and say "That's impossible, guys can't have babies."

#40 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nekochanpurr
If you want to get right down to it.. Its still a woman having a baby, lol. i don't see anything really different from this.. Other than she wants to be a he. :D

He wants to be a he.

(Sorry. It's a pet peeve of mine.)

And that's what gets me. As someone who's actually contemplated doing this... For me, I would soooo much rather adopt a baby than become pregnant. Long before I knew I was trans, the idea of me having a baby in my belly was always just sort of... Eww, Wrong, creepy, it didn't seem to fit, y'know?

So... I guess he might have preferred to have his wife be pregnant, but since she can't, he sort of has to. Or, maybe it just doesn't matter to him. (I still sew. I don't wear earrings, or dresses, I cut my hair, I quit dancing, but I still cross-stitch. I know it's girly, but I like it. :P)
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 5:47 AM
I don't know... to me it sounds like he wanted to be transgendered so that he could marry his wife, not because he couldn't identify with being a woman. Otherwise it seems like he would have had a similar reaction to the concept of being pregnant as you, Lockshockbarrel. And yet he says being pregnant feels "incredible".
Field Researcher
#42 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentPsycho
I fully support this. So what if it's a guy, it makes no difference to the fact that this is something that he and his wife desperately want and will treasure of the rest of their lives. I do admit though, the one downside is the way that other people have treated them, such as his own brother and the first doctor. The ignorance and stupidity displayed there just made me feel sick.

I do agree hundred per cent with you. How people treat each other is a big problem in this society. But I'm still shocked!
Not because he wants children but because he is pregnant. I read a Norwegian article about his pregnancy today and a Norwegian doctor said that he had to have a vagina. He said that they usually removed all female genitalia under sex change and in this case maybe this man stil has his vagina?

Or..... I'm gonna be childish now.......
Maybe he has spent too much time stargazing?
#43 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 6:41 PM
But She is still a she. That's why i don't see anything really amazing about this.

Quote: Originally posted by lockshockbarrel
He wants to be a he.

(Sorry. It's a pet peeve of mine.)

And that's what gets me. As someone who's actually contemplated doing this... For me, I would soooo much rather adopt a baby than become pregnant. Long before I knew I was trans, the idea of me having a baby in my belly was always just sort of... Eww, Wrong, creepy, it didn't seem to fit, y'know?

So... I guess he might have preferred to have his wife be pregnant, but since she can't, he sort of has to. Or, maybe it just doesn't matter to him. (I still sew. I don't wear earrings, or dresses, I cut my hair, I quit dancing, but I still cross-stitch. I know it's girly, but I like it. :P)
Forum Resident
#44 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 8:50 PM
But She is still a she. That's why i don't see anything really amazing about this.

not legally he isn't

~*I'm a she*~
#45 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 10:03 PM
She's still got the parts.

Now, if she was born a he, with all male parts, then i might have a heart attack or something, lol. She can be whatever she wants. =P
#46 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 12:21 AM

No, I can see why you wouldn't be astounded by a biological female having a baby. The pet peeve thing is just that transsexuals aren't guys who want to be girls, or girls who want to be guys, they're girls who want to be girls and guys who want to be guys, they were just born the wrong way.

And Endersgirl, I noticed that, too. What was it it said, he had a sex change because same sex marriage was illegal? I dunno, that doesn't really seem like a transsexual to me. So... maybe he's just doing what has to be done for them to be a happily married family. Although, I think he would have to be at least slightly male or androgynous, because a female, a true female, wouldn't be happy as a man.

I dunno, I'm not him. :P
#47 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lockshockbarrel
He wants to be a he. (Sorry. It's a pet peeve of mine.)

It's one of mine as well. This person identifies as male, and is legally male, so why can't we all call him by the masculine pronouns?

Quote: Originally posted by endersgirl07
I don't know... to me it sounds like he wanted to be transgendered so that he could marry his wife, not because he couldn't identify with being a woman.

I disagree. This is definitely not something one takes lightly. I love my girlfriend but just because gay marriage isn't really legal in the whole US, I'm not about to become a man just to marry her. I am a woman, and identify as one. I don't understand how anyone would think or take transitioning lightly like this.

Quote: Originally posted by The_Oceanborn
I read a Norwegian article about his pregnancy today and a Norwegian doctor said that he had to have a vagina. He said that they usually removed all female genitalia under sex change and in this case maybe this man stil has his vagina?

They do remove genitalia with a sex-change. But what he (Beatie) had done was not a complete (surgical) change. He only had top surgery, and took hormones. For some FTM that's good enough for them.

No, he's not. Yes, he was born a female, but he didn't identify as one. He is now LEGALLY a male, and I'm sure would like to be addressed as one.
#48 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 7:03 PM
Thats nice, but just because someone wants something, doesn't mean they always get it. I don't see why you make a big deal out of it and try and start fights.. I'm not going to fuel your fire. As long as she has the parts, its nothing special.
Forum Resident
#49 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 7:22 PM
Thats nice, but just because someone wants something, doesn't mean they always get it. I don't see why you make a big deal out of it and try and start fights.. I'm not going to fuel your fire. As long as she has the parts, its nothing special.

Thats the thing. He did want and then get it. He had his sex legally changed to male. Just because you refuse to believe, see, whatever it doesn't mean that it isn't.

~*I'm a she*~
Scholar
#50 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 7:30 PM
Wait.. the law overrides biology?

Page 2 of 5