Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 10:47 AM
It's a very creative and cool show. Whoever replaces Tennant will do a good job as long as the writing stays on the same level as now.

Personally I miss Eccleston, but mostly because I was insanely attracted to him....
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 5:58 PM
Wait, wasn't James Nesbitt in line to replace Tennant at some point?

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Field Researcher
#53 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alissa888
Wait, wasn't James Nesbitt in line to replace Tennant at some point?

Whoa, really? That would be... interesting. :howdy:
#54 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 8:55 PM
James Nesbitt and Robert Carlyle have both been rumoured to replace David Tennant, but David Tennant hasn't actually stated whether or not he wants to continue as the Doctor in 2010 - he's waiting to see how his Shakespearean tour goes next year (seeing as how it's completely sold out, I'd say it'll go fairly well) - but both Nesbitt and Carlyle have said they don't think they could fill Tennant's shoes; so it's a fair bet these are simply rumours.

Moffat'll probably push for Nesbitt, as they've worked together a few times - but bear in mind River Song will be in future Doctor Whos, and she said her Doctor was "older around the eyes", so Tennant may very well be staying on.
Field Researcher
#55 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 9:17 PM
Both are capable actors. My only concern with both of them is that they're a little too old. It's quite a leap from Tennant.
Original Poster
#56 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by humblebumble
Both are capable actors. My only concern with both of them is that they're a little too old. It's quite a leap from Tennant.
If they can go straight to Tom Baker from John Pertwee, and to Peter Davison from that, I guess anything's possible.
Forum Resident
#57 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 2:07 PM
I thought I saw a brief mention of Sarah Jane Smith being in the episode? Don't tell me more -- It's not on until Friday night here. But that would be very interesting.

I have become obsessed with Doctor Who lately. I have been downloading all the old episodes from the 60s, 70s and 80s, almost all of which are on the Internet.

(I'm not sure of the site policy on linking to torrent downloads for NON-PIRATED material, like the old Who episodes, so you'll have to find it yourself. But it's all out there, and all free to download with BBC acquiescence.)

My favorite Who was Tom Ford, from the 70s, and also his companion, the oh-so-cute Sarah Jane Smith (Elizabeth Sladen) , the same actress, in her 60s now, that plays Sarah Jane Smith in the spin-off series today, but back in the 70s in moddish clothing, she was a doll. I thought there was an attraction subtext going on between them, but the Doctor (Tom Baker) had to dump her back in London in a rather sad episode so he could take care of tricky business on his home planet, Gallifrey.

I'm also impressed with the black and white episodes with the first Doctor Who, William Hartnell, back in the mid-60s. Some of them have really godawful special effects (The Web Planet is so awful it is hard to describe.) But the series was darker in tone. My two favorites of the Hartnell episodes so far: The Space Museum and The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

(Apparently the Daleks invaded and wiped out the earth in the year 2150. Doctor Who's teenage granddaughter, Susan, decides to stay behind and help rebuild Earth with one of the human freedom fighters.)

I'm going to watch some more old Who now!
Scholar
#58 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 1:05 PM
2150? Wait, how would that work out? Jack Harkness is from the 25th century and he's never mentioned anything like that...

Theorist
#59 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 1:13 PM
He always lived on a totally different world, He never visited earth * came from a tiny place in a town called "Beau" * and then joined the military time travelers, maybe he didn't know.. *Shrug*

Hold on... "Doctor Who's teenage granddaughter" WHAT?!!?

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Field Researcher
#60 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 1:20 PM
Yep, he has a granddaughter called Susan who travelled with him in the first series or so with William Hartnell. She's the reason why Barbara and Ian came to join William Hartnell's Doctor - they followed Susan into the TARDIS. Heck, if the Doctor can have a daughter (be it a 'clone' of himself) then why not a granddaughter? I suspect his probably got a few kids, grandkids and so on out there in the Universe.

And Jack did loose two years of his life whilst being a Time Agent, so maybe he only found out about it during those two years?
Scholar
#61 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 1:20 PM
Whoa, wait, I thought he was from Earth, some place that is then called the 'Boeshane Peninsula' (The Face of Boe), but they had bigger problems than the daleks?

Yup, the Doctor has a granddaughter, I don't know how that works, either.... in fact, you should see his daughter (i.e. his gender confused clone....)

EDIT: Lol, you beat me to it

Wait, when did Jack lose years of his life?

Field Researcher
#62 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 1:25 PM
He mentions in the very first series with Christopher Ecclestion that he lost two years worth of memories whilst working as a Time Agent and is hoping to find answers to why it happened (i.e. accident or something more sinister).

edit: From the Doctor Who Wiki:

Quote:
Jack Harkness worked as a Time Agent until he discovered that the Agency had erased two years of his memory, two years he wanted to have back.(DW:The Empty Child)

I believe it was thought she was adopted, but then again, who's to say the Doctor didn't have children, who then went on to have Susan? He is 900+ years old
#63 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 1:34 PM
He did have wife and kids at some point though.

The Doctor had a big emo about them when Jenny was cloned from him.

(Why wasn't she in the finale episode hmmm? How rude.)
Theorist
#64 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 1:36 PM
Oh, It's spelt "Boe" *My Bad*

This seems like a job for... *Duh-Duh-Duh-duh!* Russell T Davies!

I thought Jack never visited Earth in "His Present" time, Shame all the episodes aren't up on iPlayer!

Maybe his Granddaughter was/its the last "True" Child of him, (This is excluding Jenny for obvious reasons :p) *Oh the confuzzleations*

EDIT: ooooo ooooo!! Maybe the time agents wanted them never to know about what happened to the home planet! *shifty eyes from everyone*

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Scholar
#65 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 1:53 PM
Oh, yeah, he did get rather emo, didn't he? Plus that time when he was like 'I was a father once' and Rose had a momentary breakdown over it.

Wouldn't his granddaughter be half-time lord then? Because seeing as he killed them all (genocide..... he really seems to like it) there wouldn't be anyone for him to... you know... have time lord kids with?

I think the Time Agents really didn't know what was going on. Plus apparently their homeworld kept getting attacked by aliens, so methinks it's really Earth. Every aliens species in the universe apparently wants to have a go at Earth in Doctor Who....

Abd thanks Anyerfillag , completely forgot about that!

Field Researcher
#66 Old 25th Jul 2008 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alissa888
Oh, yeah, he did get rather emo, didn't he? Plus that time when he was like 'I was a father once' and Rose had a momentary breakdown over it.

Wouldn't his granddaughter be half-time lord then? Because seeing as he killed them all (genocide..... he really seems to like it) there wouldn't be anyone for him to... you know... have time lord kids with?

Hahaha, I laughed my head off when he said that to Rose; showed her that there was someone even more 'special' (I don't class her as special, even after the finale) then she was.

He could have settled down with someone way before the Time War - who's to say the Eighth Doctor didn't have kids before it all started or he didn't have kids before we were introduced to him as William Hartnell. It doesn't mean that Ten himself had the kids, it could have been The Doctor but in a previous regeneration that had them.
Forum Resident
#67 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 12:26 AM
Well, in the recent episode where they cloned a "daughter" for the Doctor, he told Donna Noble that he had had children before, and he didn't seem to have fond memories of it.

And what a cutie the clone was, played by Georgia Moffett. In real life, she's the real life daughter of the same actor that played the fifth Doctor Who. Pic here:

The Doctor's first companion was his granddaughter was Susan, played by Carole Anne Ford.

She didn't look anything like this in the series, but I thought this was an interesting pic of Carole Anne Ford, apparently modeling lingerie. The style of it gives you a sense of how far back in time the Who series really goes.

Here she is with her "grandfather," the first Doctor Who, William Hartnell.

Scholar
#68 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 2:19 PM
WOW. How long has the Doctor Who franchise gone on for?

Anyerfillag: Lol, Rose really did get annoying sometimes. Like Really.

Also, if he did settle down with someone before it means he killed his own wife(maybe) and kids....?

Field Researcher
#69 Old 26th Jul 2008 at 3:45 PM
Its been going on since 1963 - these series with Eccleston and Tennant are referred to as New Who and everything from 1963 till the Doctor Who movie with Paul McGann is referred to as Classic Who.

There was also two movies during the 1960s with Peter Cushing as The Doctor and Bernard Cribbins as his companion in one, aka the actor who played Wilf (the man is a legend).

Doc Doofus: And Tennant, the current Doctor, states that Davison (the Fifth Doctor) was his Doctor You can imagine the geekery when he met him

Alissa: If the Master can survive, you bet a few others will probably have as well (come on Romana!).
Forum Resident
#70 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alyssa
WOW. How long has the Doctor Who franchise gone on for?

From 1963 to today... um, 45 years, I guess. That's a lot of old episodes, eh? Interesting, isn't it, that The Dr. Who show is probably older than most of the people on this forum.

The BBC has a wonderful guide to the old episodes here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/clas...ide/index.shtml

It breaks them down by which actor played the doctor that season. They have summaries of the stories, favorite quotes, goofs, reviews, etc. And they include summaries for some missing episodes from the mid sixties.

I'm glad they brought the Daleks back for last night's episode. The Daleks have been the real villains in Doctor Who since the beginning, the third episode, The Mutants (or The Daleks), in fact.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/clas...ks/detail.shtml

The best episodes are usually with the Doctor versus the Daleks. They also revived Davros, the inventor of the Daleks. Which is really fun, because I got to see him die just a couple of weeks ago in the old 70s episode, Genesis of the Daleks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/clas...ks/detail.shtml

Sarah Jane Smith was the Doctor's companion in that episode, which explains her astonishment to hear the voice of Davros in the finale half-episode last night. They really tried to connect a lot of sprawling loose parts together. It was a genuine nerd-fest. I'm sure some of it went over my head. The talk about the backstory on the missing planets, for instance.
Field Researcher
#71 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 6:05 PM
Just got back from the Doctor Who Proms (part of the BBC Proms season at the Royal Albert Hall) and it was just amazing - definitely worth the 6am start They had all sorts of DW monsters there, along with Freema, Noel, Camille and Catherine. Murray Gold, the composer for DW as performed with the orchestra and RTD was somewhere within the crowd.
Original Poster
#72 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anyerfillag
Just got back from the Doctor Who Proms (part of the BBC Proms season at the Royal Albert Hall) and it was just amazing - definitely worth the 6am start They had all sorts of DW monsters there, along with Freema, Noel, Camille and Catherine. Murray Gold, the composer for DW as performed with the orchestra and RTD was somewhere within the crowd.
*glares at enviously*
Alchemist
#73 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aimsme
*glares at enviously*

*Joins*
I so wish i knew then i could've bugged my parents to take me there
Original Poster
#74 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2
*Joins*
I so wish i knew then i could've bugged my parents to take me there
The annoying thing is, I knew it was on, but I was on holiday that day so I couldn't go.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 8:19 PM
Hey, I'm envious at my friends who saw Tennant in Hamlet, so I know the feeling

Turns out Murray Gold was sat behind me the entire time; I only noticed when a swarm of kids surrounded me, queing up to get his autograph. I managed to get Freema's autograph (god she's one gorgeous woman) but ran for it when the crowd went insane - the screaming was just OTT and some hefty woman stood on my foot as I was trying to squeeze through the crowd - ouch!

Davros was by far the best entrance - no one in that Hall who was a DW fan could contain the squeel when he came up through the floor and perched above us all.
Page 3 of 5