Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 6:37 PM
Haven't read the books, but since this is one of those things a lot of people love to hate, I've been paying attention to it. I checked out the movie, which wasn't that impressive, but I got the impression that it did the best it could considering the source material. I've also read The Host. Body snatching alien invaders push my buttons better than sparkly vampires. Sci-fi element in that book was decent enough, but it was so long winded and boring especially in the middle that I had to take a break and read another book before I went back and finished it. The main character and some of the others annoyed me a bit too.

Anyways I found this a pretty interesting read. Check out the ones about the other books in the series too.

A lurking translator who goes stealthily converting text strings into finnish when he feels like doing that, which is very rarely.
Advertisement
#52 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 6:07 PM
Oh my god, Kissamies, that is an awesome find. I laughed my butt off. I didn't realize there was so many Mormon connections, but it does indeed make sense.
#53 Old 6th Apr 2009 at 12:03 AM
Kissamies, Thank you!! That link made me laugh so much. I favorited the second part to read when I get through the second book.

Well, personally, I read the book for two reasons: To see what the fuss was about, and so I could help my mom write a lesson plan about it for her "Reading for Pleasure" class. I hated the first half, absolutely nothing happened.
I found myself liking the secondary characters because they had some kind of life to them (I really liked the two guys that fought over Bella, they were hilarious) Jacob was probably my favorite character just because I know he's supposed to be a werewolf and I'll always pick wolf over bat. Plus his dad was funny :]
Edward creeped me out as much I expected him too, but Alice and Jasper were bearable. I only liked Emmett because he was so implausible and would be such a horrible person in real life (he is schadenfraude to the extreme)
The last bit got a lot better though. THINGS ACTUALLY STARTED TO HAPPEN, ZOMG.

*spoilers for anyone who wants to read past part 1*
But yes, the best part of that book was the "sneak-peek" of the second one because in it Bella cuts her entire arm (not just a scrape, she cuts from the inside of her elbow down to the wrist) in front of the Cullen family. That was my only motivation to buy the second book, and I only wanted to get the last two once I found out she has a little devil baby that tries to kill her at one point.
I was recently motivated by someone at school to read the rest of them because she said something about Edward ripping someone's head off (YAY REAL VAMPIRE STUFF!) and the devil-baby again.
*spoiler over*

I watched the movie because that's just something I do - watch movies made from books to compare them, and I liked it better. It made laugh so many times, and Rob was super creepy (I loved him as Cedric in Harry Potter, but now he's...eugh) and Jasper was adorable, haha. Bella constantly looked like she was half asleep or about to have a stroke - she barely talked, stammered when she did and her mouth was always hanging open. Billy Burke (Charlie) and Gil Birmingham (Billy) were the best actors in it, though I did love the on-screen Eric, I wanted more of him.

Really, the movie was one of those that are so bad it almost hurts but you love it for being so awful.

My two cents. :]
#54 Old 17th Apr 2009 at 11:21 AM
I've never read the book and I possibly never will. I'm not one to read books when you can see a perfectly understandable movie, same to be said about Harry P.

I think Twilight is almost perfection. It's a shame that Bella isn't perfection herself, she's quite a plain Jane but her acting is great. I'm a bit grossed out by the goryness in the Ballet place scene, or is that just me? haha. Edward Cullen is perfection, no doubt about it. I do get annoyed about all the fan girls. Whatever YouTube video I look like, perhaps a song that is so not connected to twilight likee.. hm, Dear Maria, Count Me In - the comments are like
'This soo reminds me of Bella and Edward!'
'OMG this would be perfect for Twilight!'
I swear I even saw a comment like that on Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne.
What is the point, really?
Sure, express your love but no need to flood YouTube with Twilight obsessed comments..
#55 Old 18th Apr 2009 at 2:44 PM
I am a full blown fan. That's my opion . I just liked it. I am a teen. I bought the books, I read it. I loved it. I'm not the only one in this world. She isn't the worst writer. I thought it was great. Personally I though the movie made it suck. He couldn't resist bein in an ocean, and Jacob just had to imprint on Renesme So there, Jacob hurt her more. Edward hurt her. They are even. Don't know if you've figured out, I am Team Edwardooo! I am proud of it. I cring when I hear Jacob, or Taylor Lautner, both are grose. Taylor because he makes himself gay xP
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OMGnoWAY0752
Here I go...

Twilight. There are three major problems with the Twilight series. I'll put them in nice little bulleted paragraphs for you.

1. Edward and Bella's ABUSIVE (yes, abusive) relationship
Edward's kind of an obsessive psychopath. He watches her sleep for christ's sakes! He uses force, intimidation and coercion to control Bella's actions. He manipulates her into marrying him, which is something she REALLY doesn't want to do. He hides important information from her, and he breaks her heart to "protect her" when truly, better protection would've been to stay with her.

2. The lack of depth in the characters
Edward. Edward, Edward, Edward. He is the most shallow character I've ever read about. Ever! He is two dimensional - no - one dimensional. He has one side. He is a vampire. He is sexy. He is charming and witty and intelligent and pefect. Okay, we get it. Where are his flaws? He has none! One might say "Oh, he's a vampire! You know, a killer and stuff!" That doesn't count as a flaw. That's as silly as saying in a book about aliens that being an alien is a flaw! Where is the logic in this book? There is none!
And Bella! She is flat. Flat, flat, flat. She's a human. She is plain. She is in love with a vampire. She's about as interesting as an earthworm. And her emo phase in New Moon? I wanted to claw my eyes out so I wouldn't have to read anymore about her "holding herself together". She's nothing but a parasite. She needs another person to survive. First Edward, then Jacob, then Edward again. Ugh. She makes me sick.
Jacob is seriously the deepest character in the books! I'm still team Jacob. Oh, and I think it's super creepy that he imprinted on Renesme.

3. The pace is way too fast
Waayy too many things happen in a very short amount of time. It's almost like being on a rollercoaster.
I can't even begin to explain.

It sucks that I wasted five months of my life on that crap.

On the other hand, the movie was decent. Considering the utter crap it's based on.

Feel free to try to rebuke this, or support it.
If you can change my mind I will bake you cookies. :]

I totally agree with this - i watched this movie the other day and it was absolutely horrendous!! i cant believe they are making another one -there was no redeemable features of this drivel xx
Scholar
#57 Old 24th Apr 2009 at 2:03 AM
I read more of the book, and here are my thoughts of previous chapters.

Vampire Meeting Continuation

I will spend only a brief time on this part, since I commented so much on it previously. Here goes! Sm...dear...Edward, Alice, Emmet and Jasper are not strange and unpopular names. Just because your imagination thinks they are, does not make it so.

Gosh, I'm glad I got that out of my system! Anyway...

Naturally the only seat available in Bella's class is the one next to Edward, simply because they have to meet in some typical and cliche way. And of course she's already studied the current lesson topic, giving her reason enough to study Edward instead of listening. Onto Edward's reaction. I genuinely thought for the entire scene that SM was trying and failing to infer that Edward had become aroused by Bella - he tensed when she was so close to him, and was stiff in his seat the entire lesson. Though I must say, Bella's attempt at not watching him through the veil of hair in front of her eyes, was an incredibly bad attempt. I say it was a bad attempt because it's incredibly difficult to study someone when long hair is also obscuring your face - I say this also because SM then goes on to describe Bella's view of him, which should not be possible. SM is attempting to describe Edward through Bella, and failing.

This is the first time Edward and Bella are within a few scant centimentres of each other, and it fell incredibly flat and bland.

Chapter Two Onwards

Vague mutterings about Bella's ridiculous hatred of rain, about her clumsiness - and because Edward was not in school. Again. a case of Bella seeking out problems for herself. So someone appeared not to like you? Get over it. Bella's continual thinking about Edward being absent, for the next few pages, are repetitive, boring and bordering on the stalker behaviour that sparkle boy will later display. Bella has seen Edward three times, and her sudden obsession is out of left field, considering she tried to play herself earlier on as this quiet, outsider non-confrontational gal.

Her attitude at her mother sending two or three messages. I sense SM is trying desperately to peg Bella's mother as this weakling, clingy woman I think. But having her mother send two emails asking how Bella is...quite a few days after her only teenaged daughter has moved across State, and not to been bothered to even let her mom know she arrived safetly? That is not unreasonable.

And later on...surprise, surprise. Princess Bella doesn't like snow. Yawn.

And then, not too long after, Bella meets Edward again.

Quote:
"H-how do you know my name?" I stammered.

Perhaps because you established earlier on that, in this small town lots of people were expecting you? Because you're the only new girl in school recently? Because it was also established a couple of pages previously that your father knows Edward's father? Because you're the Sherriff's daughter?

Quote:
"No," I persisted stupidly. "I meant, why did you call me Bella?"

Because he heard your friends calling you this?

I don't know if this is truly SM trying wholeheartedly to make Bella dumb, or if her jeuvenile writing skills are rearing its ugly head again, but it reads awkwardly.

She also succeeds in making Mr. Banner appear dumb - he automatically assumes that Bella must have had Edward identify all of the phases. Not only that but her student records would have been sent over, wherein it should have been stated that Bella was in an Advanced Placement Program - Bella's apparent intelligence in this subject should have come as no surprise to the teacher.

End of chapter two. On to more akward, lackluster dialogue and attempts at injecting feeling into the paragraphs.

Quote:
Whatever the reason, Mike's puppy dog behavior and
Eric's apparent rivalry with him were disconcerting. I wasn't sure if I didn't prefer being
ignored.

Comments like this, for me, further distance the gap there is already, between helping me to feel for Bella's character. She's very harsh and, frankly, does not deserve the attention that her friends are giving her. They're worth far more than she is - they try to help, and she basically wants them to go away.

And onto the near accident: Bella posseses some type of Mutant ability, clearly. The time it takes for a skidding car to hit a stationary car a few feet away are incredibly few. Yet Bella is able to see several things happen at the same time and, not only that, see everything perfectly! Remember, this is important because SM needs to create tension!

This of course, is ignoring that while Bella saw several things happening at once...also didn't have time to close her eyes. Or jump out of the way.

Bella, Bella, Bella...you're really not helping that Damsel in Distress image you have going there. This is supposed to be the scene where Bella truly realises that Edward Cullen is not all that he seems, but it's written in a couple of paragraphs. It just left me thinking...what was the point? Something so important should have had more dedicated to it...more feeling...less run on sentences.

Quote:
And then they found us, a crowd of people with tears streaming down their faces,
shouting at each other, shouting at us.

And this comment seemed like it had been thrown in there because SM had only just remembered there were other students in the parking lot. And she has all the crowd crying like that? The sentence is very immature, and despite the talk of tears, is still empty.

And apparently SM forgets what she had written a mere page before. Bella hit her head on the icy blacktop, and there was a thudding ache above her left ear. Both of these happened, yes...after she hit her head... But Edward is seemingly a traitor for, rightly, telling the EMTs that she probably has a concussion. Bella's reaction to this, and the necessary precautions taken, are...pathetic. This kid who SM has tried to make out as intelligent, is yet again showing how childish she is.

And the Nurses are also able to determine - from what little writing there is - that they can tell Bella does not have concussion, from only an X-Ray. She's only examined after this conclusion. I don't think SM knows how hospitals work. Even is SM claims there was no research on Vampires for her book - research would have helped in times like these.

Quote:
Despite my outright lies, the tenor of my e-mails alerted Renée to my depression

Firstly, why has Bella taken to calling her mother by her given name in her thoughts? It's shown earlier on that she calls her father his given name, and her mother...mom. There's no explanation for a big alteration like this. And Smella (considering SM seems to project herself into the Mary Sue, SMeyer and Bella have now become one) must have no idea what depression is, if she can have Bella thinking this. Seriously.

I think one of the big problems with any attempt at getting into the whole Bella/Edward 'ship is...the basis of it is Bella becoming enraptured with his "mystery" and his looking like some ridiculous Adonis. She has no idea what he's actually like - and her obsession begins after he ignores her in class. The major problem is it isn't written well. A 'ship based on obsession should be dangerous, elicit, terrifying at times...all of the things that are utterly missing. These are not compelling characters. They are shallow, two-dimensional and repetitive. Smella takes an amazing creature of myth and legend and strips them of anything that makes them compelling. As a "twist" she makes them sparkle and be able to walk in daylight: from what I've seen so far, having them be able to stand in daylight and sparkle does nothing other than make them...well...sparkle like diamonds. Which, if I was a jewel thief, would be great. I have an awesome canon RP character who is a thief and she could have tons of fun with this. But it isn't a twist. And secondly, vampires walking in daylight is not new. If Smella had done her research, she would have found this out too.

Quote:
Gym was brutal. We'd moved on to basketball. My team never passed me the ball, so
that was good, but I fell down a lot.

You know what? The clumsy Bella thing is getting a little ridiculous - right, she falls down despite never being passed the basketball. Repeatedly. And then the other tedious repeat - three of the boys at the school asking Bella to the dance, all despite it being the girls' choice. I must ask...why? The character is so flat, there is very little to like. Of course though, all the boys are copies of each other in everything but name, so naturally it would be like this.

Well, more later!
Scholar
#58 Old 3rd May 2009 at 1:18 PM
Hmmm. All you people deriding the book seem to have read it pretty thorougly Why'd you waste your money, if you hate it so much?

I personally am a huge Twilight fan. I dont' know what it is, it just draws me in. I like SM's style of writing. I also agree with a lot of the comments made here. It is NOT Harry Potter quality writing. It is not Ann Rice quality writing. It is a good read, not a literary classic. OK, so it is a bit slushy. But I am not a snob about books, I just read them for fun and if the writing is a little bad or whatever, I try to just enjoy the plot anyway.

One thing I hated about the books was Edward, though. I loved him in the first book. Gorgeous charming vampire who sparkles. It made my teenage heart flutter *wub* But with the next 1500 pages of the series, he got more and more tedious. Perfect as always. Always ends up back with Bella after HE is the cause for the break-up/fight. Sparkle sparkle, OOOOH, he's growling at an enemy, isn't that hot omgz. Ugh.

And then Bella has to go and become a vampire, which pissed me off, because now she's beautiful and agile and fast and isn't Bella anymore, she's a superwoman.

Jacob was my favourite character. He had the most depth, I think. I loved Bella/Jacob scenes, and I loved most of New Moon (no Edward, lotsa Jacob!!). I cried when I read their kiss in Eclipse (not the first one where she breaks her hand by punching him). Sigh.

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Test Subject
#59 Old 6th May 2009 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SSChan
I'm pretty sure ANYONE can write a better novel than Twilight.

Twilight, as I've gathered, if horrendously god-awful - a glorified fanfiction. And the content seems to be completely inappropriate for it's target audience Especially the fourth book. Come on, horribly painful sex that continues after Bella has fallen unconcious... a grown man falling in love with a baby? Mother's shouldn't allow their girls to read this tripe.

You know, one of the things that made me angrier about Twilight is that I knew more than a handful of people, that are/used to be Harry Potter fanfiction writers and who fall head over hills with the book... Despite the fact that if they ever came across with a fanfic that was so badly written, they'd trash it in the same moment. And, also, from the fact they were countless times superior writers to SM.

I really enjoyed Twilight though. I adored it, specially the worst things about it. Spending so many (so many!) years as a part of HP fandom made me love trashy style. And I couldn't help myself in laughing through most part of the book -- and specially New Moon's depression phase -- which made me enjoy the ride a whole lot more. Reading a plotless book, with paper deep characters and an annoying first person voice would generally make me hate it but since mockery is my sheppard, I shall not be in want", I actually liked it.

Of course, that doesn't mean I didn't hate it -- I found grammar mistakes, I found an incredible number of repetitions, I found it a terrible role model for young girls, and everything else that people have already said. (For the record, I didn't spent any money on it, and ocasionally picked upon a bookstore the brazillian translation to take a look through, its shameful to say that it was better revised than the original).

Someone, at some point, mentioned it isn't much different from a Meg Cabot book, that it has the same flaws... And although I agree, you gotta admit that Meg Cabot, she writes humour books. Of course, there are romaces, but she writes it with a humorous tone, as if she was winking at the (older?) audience and saying "Yes, I know, this is stupid, right? Still don't we all go through it at some point?" while SM is actually trying to create drama. So, while I can give MC some respect for the fact that she's making fun of her characters and even of herself, I can't do the same for SM. Because SM -really- think she's an author, and really thinks she's writing drama.

Someone should give her Looking for Alaska so that SM would at least have an idea how we write drama for teenagers/YA these days.
Forum Resident
#60 Old 6th May 2009 at 7:19 PM
I bought the books because I liked the movie. God, I'm really too immature for my age. Now the books are gathering dust on the bookshelf because I don't want to touch them with a ten feet pole. I couldn't even get to the end of book one. It's so bad. Bella is such a negative character and even though I'm not exactly miss sunshine either, most of the time I feel like hitting her with something...hard.
I agree it's badly written and the characters have absolutely no depth.
Test Subject
#61 Old 8th May 2009 at 5:45 PM
I watched the movie because my (younger) sister called me as soon as she left the movies, laughing so much I barely could understand what she said, saying it was absolutely perfect and that she had never laughed more in her life in a drama movie.

SM ruined the words dazzled and sparkle for me.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 9th May 2009 at 4:04 AM
How on earth can your sister find it funny? I never read the books because of the fandom, any books that is filled with tween's fantasy(excluding the masochistic intercourse I heard people said) with giggling, immature, and negatively naive girls as the majority of its fans is not the kind of book I want to read(fyi, hardcore fangirls doesn't respond to logic)

My cousin loved Edward so much it's disgusting, I hope she knows that there won't be any guy as perfect as that in real life, she's turning 20 this year

P.S. Kristen Stewart is perfect for Bella, she looked so plain and emotionless(her face that is), I wonder what she would looked like if she played the vampired Bella(being perfect and all, one thing for sure, she's going to look sick like other vampires)
Test Subject
#63 Old 9th May 2009 at 7:47 PM
The dialog is ridiculously fake, unreal and cheesy. There is no plot, and things doesn't really make sense. It features the biggest Gary Stu in living history. And I won't even beggin with the Mary Bella Swuean. Kristen Stewart can't act for her life (although the character is so plain I'm not really sure it's her fault afterall). She found it really funny, because it's a supposedly a drama but really, it's just ridiculous.

I really didn't find the intercourse masochistic -- although I have no idea why on earth they decided that the best place for a first time, which a guy that has no fluid was on the salty atlantic sea, which surely hurt.

She's turning 20? And in love with Edward? Maybe this twilight thing is more serious than I ever thought. My sister is eighteen and finds him ridiculous, I guess it changes a lot.
Field Researcher
#64 Old 13th May 2009 at 3:56 AM
I just read Twilight and New Moon, god! Edward is so morally straight, everything is bad for Bella, and Bella is a heartless, thoughtless, selfish, ungrateful b***h! I wished I can smack them both accross their stupid brainless heads.

I hate most of the characters, especially the two leads, in Twilight, it seems SM tried to shake things up a bit after 60% of the story revolves around Edward's love for Bella and his perfections by adding some bella-thirsty vampires.

In New Moon, Bella is ridiculously over melodramatic("oh the hole in my chest" and "I can hear dead people..."), she also used others for her personal interests, which disgusts me, and Jacob is turning into a hateable character too, and of course, since SM thought that vampires should be sparkly, werewolves should be humongous

I'm going to read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn soon, and watch Twilight too, just to get done with it all(I heard some rumours about Midnight Sun, I hope it's not true)
#65 Old 13th May 2009 at 5:48 PM
Horrible! The worst series of books I have ever had the misfortune of having read! I had to force myself to finish the first three books. I only read them because I was tired of people saying I couldn't hate the books without reading them. Gah, don't even get me started on Twilight!
Field Researcher
#66 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:02 AM
So I finished all 4 books, I must say Twilight saga wasn't that great, it's mediocre at best, the book would be better with a third person narration rather than thru the eyes of Bella or Jacob

New Moon is the worst of them, too emo or something like that, while Breaking Dawn seems strangely cut short, I want some bloodshed, where good triumph over evil like Harry Potter 7
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 21st May 2009 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by OMGnoWAY0752
Twilight was written for the mindless masses.

Excuse me? I don't know about everyone else, but I think that was rude. I'm pretty much addicted to Twilight. It's suspenseful and romantic and basically everything anyone could ask for in a book. I know some people hate Twilight-I'm cursed with having a bunch of Twilight haters in my homeroom that follow me around just so they can tell me how much they hate Twilight. I think it is perfection. I think Harry Potter and Twilight are.
Test Subject
#68 Old 25th May 2009 at 3:33 PM
Dude, you spent 5 whole months on something you dislike so much, really?

Honestly, I'm a proud fan but I know it isn't the best book in the world nor do I idolize Stephenie Meyer.

I just read the first book, got swept up in their world and felt the need to read the other books as well.

I get the 'abusive relationship' comment, but honestly, there's no way Edward would be able to have a normal relationship. That'd just be so weird.

Lack of depth in characters, really? Edward has flaws! I mean come on! He's overprotective and blames himself for EVERYTHING. You call him 'obsessive psychopath', that's a pretty big flaw, isn't it?

Honestly, I just wish we lovers and haters could live in harmony. Everyone won't love it, let's just accept it and move on. As cheesy as it sounds I have gained some hope from these books, which makes them very dear to my heart.

If someone else interprets the characters and events in another way, I don't blame them for disliking it.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 30th May 2009 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
Is this really a debate? I'll share my two cents, anyway. I read Twilight to see what all the hullaballoo was about and why it was knocking some fantastic novels down on the bestseller list- I typically don't waste my time on mainstream books, but after my curiosity was sated, I wasn't impressed.

It's not that the books are bad, per se, but the writing and the literary devices are atrocious. Like you said, the characters lack dimension and are idealized to the point of annoyance. This could just be a matter of taste, but I read three books a week looking for lush description, poignant emotional imagery, and characters that overcome their innate flaws, none of which I found in the Twilight series. The plot is somewhat decent, but I think the series could have been so much more if put in the hands of a far more skilled writer, because the author uses a redundant host of about thirty adjectives and writes for a fifth-grade audience. As a passionate conoisseur of literature, I just think that they're incredibly sub-par and badly written; not badly plotted, but poorly executed. If you're looking for quality vampire literature, go read Anne Rice; don't settle for Twilight.

I agree with the Edward thing...that's why I'm Team Jacob...he is way too perfect and Jacob is human, he makes mistakes. I love Twilight though...that might just be because I'm in the "teen"' age group.

I fall up stairs.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 30th May 2009 at 12:39 AM
I gotta go with what Stephen King said about the novels: The difference between Twilight and Harry Potter is that Meyer is a bad writer.

That being said, I liked Twilight when I first read them, and loved the series...for a while. But having read them once I can't say I'm interested in going back for another round--something I generally like to do. Why? Because I feel that these were "opportunity" books; sure they were marketed at the same time as the HP books, but they didn't reach their astounding popularity until the boy wizard and his series were over, and everyone was just looking for the next big series of fantasy to cross their paths and Twilight was a convenient escape. Because of that, I don't think they live up to their full potential--the characters are very strained, because they have no dimensions.

The story is painfully repetitive, and doesn't really link up as much as other novel-series I've read do: it's constantly switching between three main plots, Bella-Edward, vampire vs wolf, vampire fight. Meyer simply took an overrated legend (vampirism and lycanthropy) and decided to run with it, and didn't give it any such manner of twist at all-- which shows poor creativity, much like the general world inside her novels. The whole scape of the series is basically 2D, and could have used a lot more planning and elaboration -- not so much basic detail but true DEPTH. Give Edward more qualities than a "perfect man who never really grew up and who has relationship-focused obsessive compulsive traits" and make the other leading male, Jacob, someone who's more than "an immature brat who's transformation abilities magically put him a step up above everyone, even though he's obviously not smart enough to be there." I also think she could've let some air out of Bella's fantasy-land as well, because she went from "whining, pathetically uncoordinated human who makes all females look bad" to "agile, graceful, perfect mother who nearly died for her baby in an agonizingly dramatic way."

That being said, all the flaws I hate about the books are hindsight, and even though I kind of liked them the first time, in thinking about the plot and the characters (as well as seeing that terrible excuse for a movie based on them) I definitely won't be reading anything of her sort of work again. It's mainly because this series has no class and imagination, so no, to answer the question: far from perfect.
Inventor
#71 Old 30th May 2009 at 12:47 AM
Ugh, I tried to read the first book and didn't even make it all the way through. SM either keeps bad notes or doesn't care if most of the things she writes don't make sense. I could have gotten past that if not for the mess that is her main character Bella. She's a whiny, self pitying damsel in distress. I swear it seemed like every chapter was either her complaining about something that was unfair, swooning in the face of "danger", or whining about how she can't live without Edward (even though she'll probably see him the next day.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 30th May 2009 at 12:48 AM
Pretty much agreed with OP's post. That, and Meyer's writing is just atrocious, and her books are simply a way to make abstinence and mormon values more appealing to teens.
Forum Resident
#73 Old 30th May 2009 at 4:15 AM
I can't be bothered reading through 3 pages of people mostly insulting the series, but I really wish people could realise that being a Twilight fan doesn't make someone an illiterate fangirl who wants to marry Edward Cullen.

I'm not singling out people here, because I didn't read the thread, but in general that's all I seem to come across. I don't care if people dislike, or even hate, Twilight. That's their choice and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

But when people go so far to label an ENTIRE fanbase, that's when I get frustrated.
I adore the books... but I also see their flaws and have fun bitching about Smeyer. Not all of us are psychotically obsessive teenies who believe Twilight is the height of amazing literature, and I just wish that some of the more aggressive haters could see that.

I really dislike seeing insults to the fanbase, with people claiming that it's dribble for mindless teenagers. You can enjoy something and see its flaws, and there are a LOT of mature, rational Twilight fans who can see its good and bad side.

It's the Twimoms and obsessive 12 years olds who worship Edward that give us all a bad name. I say we burn them.
Scholar
#74 Old 30th May 2009 at 6:10 AM
Agreed, danirawr.
I am a fan but I also realise the many flaws in the book and I'm not OBSESSED with it (well, maybe Jacob. Just a little bit!!!) You don't have to be a total Edward worshipper and bad speller to read and enjoy Twilight.
Somewhere on the Internet someone posted a good, well-rounded, non bitchy and well thought out comment about how they didn't like Edward Cullen. They weren't over the top about it, or anything. Someone writes back "omg u r so gay edward culleen - yep, they spelt it like that - is way better than u and always will be ur just a homo".

Argh! *headdesk*

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 30th May 2009 at 4:56 PM
I just finished reading this series a couple of days ago. When i first heard about the movie i wasnt too bothered about seeing it or reading the books. I picked the books up cause i had some spare cash, they were on sale and i wanted something too read. I hated the constant repeating lines of how sparkly edward was and how nothing else mattered. If all of that nonsense was taken out of the book then all four books would probably fit into the first. It was a somewhat good story when it got to the point. It took me longer to get through the jacob part as i felt kind of sorry for him. Im defintly a jacob fan more than any the other characters. I read on her site the edward side of twilight and it was nice to see it through his eyes, his was less sparkly which was a nice change.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honor that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Page 3 of 6