Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 4:20 PM Last edited by feldynn : 8th Jun 2009 at 4:27 PM. Reason: Screenshots now showing
Default Tutorial - How to create a basic roof with different slope angles
This is a quick tutorial describing how to set roof sections with differing slope angles. Basically it's the exact same technique as used in TS2, though it seems to be much more reliable in TS3, so if you've used it before in TS2 you shouldn't have any issues .

NOTE: The "adjust roof height" slider is a global change, it will adjust the WHOLE roof whenever you change the roof height so once you have all your roof sections at the desired angles you cannot change the height of individual sections. You have to demolish correct sections, adjust the ones you want and "undo" the demolish.

Each step has a corresponding screenshot with a basic explanation of what to do, I thought about linking them directly into the post but I decided not to as it started to clutter it up.

Step 01
Create your basic wall structure. For the purpose of this tutorial I've used two rooms with a one-square gap between them, with a wall divider above the gap to help illustrate the differing roof heights.

Step 02
Add the roof sections / styles as you desire. For the purpose of this tutorial I changed the colour of the roof wall sections to help illustrate the difference between the two sides once they are height adjusted.

Step 03
In this tutorial (see the screenshots) the left side of the roof is section 01 and the right is section 02. Adjust the height of roof section 01 to the desired level using the slider.

Step 04
Remove roof section 01, my prefered method is to hold Ctrl and left click while in the roofing tool but the Sledgehammer tool works just as well.. use whichever deleting method you feel comfortable with.

Step 05
Use the slider to adjust the height of the remaining roof section (Roof 02).

Step 06
Click the "Undo" button, this should replace the previously deleted section of roof (Roof 01). Since the roof height was low when the roof section was deleted, it is restored at that same reduced height and not the current roof height.

You should now have 2 roof sections at 2 different heights, the left being low and the right being high. As in the note at the top you cannot adjust the height of each section independantly, you have to remove the pieces you don't want to change and replace them (i.e. undo the delete(s)) once you've made the adjustments.

Step 07
Apply the same technique to an actual house. I've only experimented with two differing heights as described in the tutorial so I don't know how many different heights you can have use with larger houses, but I don't see why you couldn't have 3 or 4 or more so long as you start with a full roof then delete each piece once the height / angle is set and "undo" the deletes at the end.

As an example I made a basic house (similar to the structure in the tutorial screenshots) to hopefully show how it might look to have roof sections at different heights. The two side roofs are set high about to the level of the top of the wall, the top roof and the piece above the door both have a fairly low roof height.

Hopefully this all makes sense and is helpful to anyone wanting to have some fun with roofing, if I've made any glaring mistakes or errors please let me know
Screenshots
39 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 7:50 PM
Ooh, I can't wait to try this out! Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:44 AM
Oh! Clever way to get around the issue. Guess that only proves that Maxis got lazy and didn't re-implement the seperate slider option. Hope they'll add it soon. :/
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 4:56 PM Last edited by QBUILDERZ : 10th Jun 2009 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Had to shrink picture

Thank you for the tutorial, but I think you can cut back on the steps, I managed to do the whole house using only 4 of the steps...

place
delete
change
undo

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Instructor
#5 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 9:58 AM
It was a blow to builders when we were unable to have different roof pitches, this is a most needed tutorial...thanks
Test Subject
#6 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 9:23 PM
Hi ))
I from Russia, know English badly.... This my first message))
I if fairly have understood nothing from written and I will not be afraid to ask:
How I have understood it tutorial on barn building?
Instructor
#7 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:17 AM
Ok, you seriously rock! I've been wondering how to do this. Thanks so much.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:31 PM
Thank you! Much appreciated!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 3:29 PM
Yes!! I am so glad someone figured this out! Thank you. A whole new group of houses I can now rebuild from Sims 2!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 10:47 PM
fantastic that this hs been figured out - it's soo simple too! Thank you.

Kat - I like to build, create & write.
Find my creations at:
Sims 4: http://loveandscenerysims4.tumblr.com/
Sims 3: http://www.sims3adventure.com
Sims 2: http://www.modthesims2.com/member.php?u=1436640
Test Subject
#11 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 1:21 AM
So, if I'm understanding this right, with this emthod you can have only 2 different angles on a given lot, correct?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 6:39 AM
No Jacin,
If you have N roofs, just remove N-1 roofs adjust the last one then Undo N-1 times
a screenshot of 3 bellow
Screenshots

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Inventor
#13 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 6:49 PM
I have to say this is great! I have used it on several of my homes. The last one I have 5 different roof heights!

Thanks! *HUGS*
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 6:06 AM
Wow awesome

Makes me raise my eyebrows though, since as Illinair said, it proves that there wasn't some deep technical issue preventing the devs from simply making the slider work like it does in M+G :p
Test Subject
#15 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:11 PM
Devs could make this game great, mabye legendary. They're just too lazy to heard to the community and realize even the easiest-to-implement whish.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 5:07 PM
This tutorial was really easy for me to follow. Everything came out as mentioned until I went from step 6 to step 7. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't understand how that roof ends up looking like a gambrel roof. Seems as tho I am the only one who is confused and any help would be appreciated. Other that that, great tutorial!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 1:34 PM
To do the Gambrel style roof you use the same basic technique in the tutorial (placing roof, delete sections, adjusting height, undoing deletes, etc) it's just how you treat the sections of roof. In the tutorial you have 2 different roof heights (roof 1 and 2) and 2 sections of roof, the basic Gambrel roof still has just 2 different roof heights but there are 4 roof sections.

The quickest way (assuming you've built all 4 roof sections and they're the default height) is to increase the roof height so the sides are just below the top of the wall / edge of the top roof. Don't worry that the top roof and the piece over the door are high and silly looking, that'll get fixed next.

Delete / sledgehammer the two side sections, then lower the roof height so the top section and the doorway section are a lot lower / flatter, hit the Undo button to bring back the side roofs and you should have a basic Gambrell.. hopefully .

I threw together a few quick screenshots that hopefully help illustrate what I'm talking about , hopefully it all makes sense.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Jun 2009 at 4:59 PM
Thank you so very much feldynn!! I have been struggling since Sims 2 trying to make gambrel roofs and I got so frustrated that I never finished. I'm going to finish building my house now and if it comes out good maybe I'll even upload it! So thanks again for all your help
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 12:24 AM
Lovely. I was struggling to figure this one out, and thought I had on accident...but then couldn't remember what I had done! I was amazed that the developers didn't add this as a basic build tool. Oh well.

That's what we have MTS for.

( ̄▽ ̄)ノ_彡☆バンバン!

DO NOT under any circumstances upload any of my lots to the exchange!
Field Researcher
#20 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 6:16 AM
My god, I can't believe I haven't read this until just now!! Thanks so much, a VERY much needed tute indeed, I was dying without individual roof angles!!

Grab more of my houses and sims @ LL30 & LJ
Random sim pics - Bits & BobsLivingSims
Test Subject
#21 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 5:32 PM
Thank you soooo much! I was struggling with covered porches since they had funky steep roofs that covered the windows of the upper stories! I am so glad I can fix this now!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#22 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 6:39 PM
This is more of a useless post than anything but I wanted to say that I used your technique as well as beefysims1 for my tutorial and I wanted to make sure that I gave you your credit and that you were aware of it

Thanks!

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by QBUILDERZ
This is more of a useless post than anything but I wanted to say that I used your technique as well as beefysims1 for my tutorial and I wanted to make sure that I gave you your credit and that you were aware of it

Thanks!

Pfft it's not a useless post .. I did see the mention in your tutorial, wasn't necessary but thankyou and thankyou for popping by here too. It is much appreciated, and good to know that what I write actually makes sense outside of my own head .
Mad Poster
#24 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 5:11 PM
Is there any way to place a roof (Sims3) when the height is uneven? I have my outside walls on the ground, in the middle of the house is a foundation area to make a raised floor. This raised floor has a roof over it way up on top, but this roof cannot be dragged over manually to connect to the outside walls, it says: cannot be placed because roof height uneven. If I try putting on auto roof it won't show any roof at all.
Test Subject
#25 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 10:41 PM
THANK YOU, without IRSA from sims2 ive been nuys, this is great , would have never thought of it .....
Page 1 of 2