Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:07 AM
Default Multi colored patterns that are unchangeable? or just 1 color to be changed?
Hi hi hi ^_^

Okay... I just tackled my first TS3 pattern =9 learned how to do the 4 changeable colors, and had added a 5th that was unchangeable using the "Background filler"

Now i'm getting excited and curious with diff. ideas of what i'd like to make next.... and i'm wondering if any or both of these two things are possible.... and if so, perhaps if maybe someone can enlighten me on how to go about it...

#1 Is it possible to take a more "Colorful" pattern, lets say 7 colors or so, and import it into the game without the option to change colors? not like a texture where all the colors are similar... i mean like rainbow colors lol...

#2 Is it possible to do the above, but make it so maybe only 1 of the colors are changeable? maybe 2?

Since everything was changed into black and white with the "4 color" pattern method, i wasnt sure if i could just have an already colored image and just import it as-is.... if it has to get changed into greyscale, i dont see it being able to get as colorful as i want it to be...

anyways =) just thought i'd ask ^_^
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:05 AM
I hope this isn't off-topic for the thread, but I am confused about patterns that are colourable in the game, because it always seems to me the four channels are taken up with different parts of the object (eg legs, cushions, fabric) and not used to colour the individual dots and flowers on the fabric. So how do you drill down into somewhere you can edit the fabric colours themselves?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#3 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 5:36 PM
Inge, I haven't got far along in the pattern making to know a whole lot but I think I can answer your question. There are two different areas when it comes to coloring an object in the game. The squares that run vertically down the side of the design tool are the ones that indicate different parts of the mesh (your aforementioned legs, cushion, fabric). The circles that run horizontally below the pattern section are where the colors for an individual section are set. If a pattern is one color, there is only one circle with color in it. If the pattern is multi-colored, there are more color options on those circles. You just click the color you're wanting to change and change it individually. Does that make sense?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 7:46 PM
kawa, the thing about it "being as colourful as you want it to be" is that it's *not* how you want it to be at all - it's how colourful the *players* want it to be. In other words, the whole point of the patterns *is* that you can change the colours to be whatever you want.

Having a pattern that you *cannot* change the colour on kind of defeats the point of it.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 9:34 PM
Thanks Misty! That colour panel just isn't coming naturally to me yet :D

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 10:26 PM
I think what kawaiimiyo wants to do is make a small portion of the pattern static, while the rest of the pattern is dynamic. Um... for example if you were making a childrens pattern and it had a little cartoon rainbow. You might want the rainbow to stay rainbow colored, while still being able to change other elements in the pattern.

I'd like to know if that is possible as well.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 12:00 AM
Delphy --

I guess I should have been more clear on what I wanted to do, or the reasons for it........

The reason i want to do this, is to make "Character themes" I.E. being a "Sailor Moon" fan, I'd love love LOVE to give my sims Sailor moon wallpaper, or a bedspread! however looking at the character, just for sailor moon herself, i'll need at least red, white, blue, yellow, peach, black, and something for a background, thats 7 colors... Other characters i'd like to make have even more, some around 10 or so...

I understand how great being able to change colors is and all... however i feel the most important thing when it comes to characters, is just being able to have them, as they are, in the game, rather than being able to change their colors, (I dont care if i can turn spongebob green or purple, and I'm not so concerned if I can have strawberry shortcake wear black and blue... ) I would be happy sacrificing those options, just to be able to have those loveable characters appear in my game as they originally appear....

So thats why I asked the question, .... so hopefully it might make sense now, the reason for the #2 question... is I *do* understand how great it is to customize the patterns.... I thought well "If I keep my character in its original colors the way we all know them to be, perhaps at *least* i can change one thing in the pattern, perhaps the background"
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 12:04 AM
There probably IS some way to do this at some point, maybe, possibly. If you look at stuff like clothing, the tee shirts have graphics on them. Maybe that kind of thing could be applied to patterns, eventually? It's just not possible -right now- with the tools we have and the understanding of the way custom patterns work.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
There probably IS some way to do this at some point, maybe, possibly. If you look at stuff like clothing, the tee shirts have graphics on them. Maybe that kind of thing could be applied to patterns, eventually? It's just not possible -right now- with the tools we have and the understanding of the way custom patterns work.

Thanks for the reply ^_^ I guess I'll just stick it out a bit then, Since I'm still new at making the custom patterns, i wanted to make sure there wasnt something I was missing...
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 3:12 AM
hi , I did note theat there are a few things in game that work that way, like the kids stove have cupcakes that are alway the same color no matter what i do to it.

Npot sure how to go about making it thou , ya mite take a look at that file .

I would love some static stuff, my kids miss having some of the stuff they had in sim 2 for there rooms , and havifn them just 4 colors does not seem right or such.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 5:45 AM
So this is by no means a real solution, but I thought of a workaround that might work. If you just copied the channels from your static pattern unmodified into the channels of your DDS document and set the colors in the preview to red, green, and blue respectively, it would give you colors that were true to the original. You would still have the alpha left to make the background or select elements recolor-able in game. It’s not ideal, but i think it would work.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#12 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 11:35 AM
From what I know of the pattern technicals, it's probably technically possible to go up to possibly 10-12 layers, each with a seperate colour - some recolourable, some not.

I'd have to experiment and see if my theory is correct though.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#13 Old 7th Nov 2009 at 9:09 PM
Sorry if I'm bringing back an old post.

I'm making some patterns and I want 4 regions be recolorable while leaving a 5th one unchanged. While browsing the game pattern textures in FullBuild2.package and their xml files in FullBuild0.package, I found that I could use a background (dds with normal channels, and no aplha) as a background texture and another dds as a mask for recolored zones /as in object creation).

The xml used with the game patterns are different that those created with Delphy pattern creator or tsrw in a new package. The first part in variables include the values and name of the file for the background Image, rgbmask and specmap used, the second one <texturepart> is similar to the one created with Delphy pattern package or tsrw.

I supose that my final pattern package needs the mask dds to be added and also modify the xml file to add the values of the background image and mask.

I'm not a modder and my knowledge of sp3 is null and I wonder if someone has make it already. I include the files for the 3 patterns that I found use this technique (I supose there are more) in case someone wants to have a try
Thanks.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  quiltpatch01.rar (42.8 KB, 25 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  nurseryrhyme01.rar (36.3 KB, 24 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  kitchen01med.rar (47.6 KB, 26 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#14 Old 10th Nov 2009 at 4:48 PM
Well, I've found an anwser. This is implemented in the new pattern editor (for hsv patterns) in the tsrworkshop v0.8.0.0. wich is not avaliable yet to download. I hope that Delphy will update also his pattern packager to add this feature
Scholar
#15 Old 10th Nov 2009 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Thanks Misty! That colour panel just isn't coming naturally to me yet :D

Inge, also if you want to change the whole tone as a whole, you can. Say all the dots horizontally where a shade of blue and you wanted to change them all to shades of green, you just select the big circle and change the colour wheel, this changes them all at once.
Scholar
#16 Old 16th Oct 2010 at 6:33 AM
I have a question about this also. Is it really possible to make a pattern have only 1 recolorable channel, and have other parts non-recolorable?

The pic included is an example of what I mean. Would it be possible to only recolor the background (the tan color) and leave the other parts (the gnome, girl, trees, etc...) non-recolorable?

If so, are there any tutorials out there that explain how or can someone tell me how?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 13th Feb 2013 at 6:11 PM Last edited by pjgo : 17th Feb 2013 at 1:07 PM. Reason: Clarification
Resurrecting this thread because I would also like to know how to make patterns that are non-castable, and also patterns that are non-castable except for the background area (Is that a 1 or 2 channel?).

This tutorial seems incomplete: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Colour_Patterns

What do you do after you adjust the channels? When it is imported back into PatternPackager or TSW, how do you know what value or colour to assign? If you are making a non-castable pattern, do you work with only the red channel or...? How do you make the full-colour image show up in the Preview Output window of PatternPackager. I am only able to get an image in greyscale, and messing about with the colour picker only gives the pattern a colour cast.

I've read through another tutorial on how to make fully recolourable patterns using TSW, and I think I understand (make each channel greyscale and assign a colour to each to achieve the desired outcome, but how does that work when only using 1 or 2 channels?

When I mean a non-castable pattern, I am referring to one that contains many more than 4 colours plus shades in between, so it would be impossible to break down into 4 channels. Think of a Persian rug. I don't mean a pattern with one colour, or shades of one, like a wood pattern. How do I assign one colour to one channel when the image contains dozens of colours?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 8:00 AM
I'm terribly sorry to resurrect this as well, but I too want to be able to make non-recolorable patterns. True, recolor options are what MOST patterns are all about, but sometimes, you just NEED to preserve an image as is. Example: I wish to make a lava pattern, and I'd be MORE than happy to sacrifice the ability to recolor it if it would preserve its vibrant, glowy orange color. Attempting to recolor something to look like it did originally never looks as good as it would unspoiled.

The first pattern I attempted was malachite. My inexperience caused me to lose its perfect lightly teal-tinted pale green, and the darker greens came out brown. I would have preferred for it to have preserved its colors and been non-castable.
Test Subject
#19 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:52 PM
Resurrecting... It's a shame no one is able to answer these questions, I really want to know about this too... I read the whole thread and I read about making black outlines that are non-recolorable, but what about an image that's non-recolorable? I know it's possible because I've seen patterns elsewhere that have characters that stay the same color with options to change the background only, which is what I want to do. Has anyone here figured out how to do this since the last post?