Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
Original Poster
#26 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Yes, from what I can tell it can. Some of the meshes dont have the requisite XML, though, and those will have to be disabled for now. The full list of meshes, though, including non-XML ones, consists of 1,561 items.

Oh wow, VERY cool. I was going to start looking to see if this could be done to certain objects too, I guess you already figured out it can, nice!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Snaitf
Well, I'm finally done, it was NOT an easy task, but I think the results were worth it. I'd like to thank Delphy for keeping me pointed in the right direction, Echo for pointing out an easy solution to a small problem, and everyone involved in the S3PI project, screen shots and package file attached. The Sims 3 upload sections don't include a clothing category, which section should I submit this to?

Wow, that's great, i was about to ask how to do it. But it seems pretty hard, so i'll wait until there's a tutorial for total noobs in hex like me.
Just a question, can you change the colour of the graphic? I mean, i wanted to do something like this:
http://www.idealshop.com.br/loja/im..._muse_logo1.gif
but changing the colour of the graphic and the shirt.
Original Poster
#28 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StanPorco
Wow, that's great, i was about to ask how to do it. But it seems pretty hard, so i'll wait until there's a tutorial for total noobs in hex like me.
Just a question, can you change the colour of the graphic? I mean, i wanted to do something like this:
http://www.idealshop.com.br/loja/im..._muse_logo1.gif
but changing the colour of the graphic and the shirt.

You would be able to change the color of the shirt in-game, but the graphic will remain static, unless someone figures out a way to make the stencils themselves editable in CAS, but I don't see how...
Original Poster
#29 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 5:46 PM
Well, seeing as there still isn't a place to upload these files to, I thought I'd share them here in the mean-time. Here is another set of stenciled t-shirts, this time for boys AND girls.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TS3 Clothing - cuTopShirtTee - Superheroes - Snaitf.rar (56.2 KB, 36 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#30 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 5:49 PM Last edited by StanPorco : 15th Jun 2009 at 3:43 AM.
You would be able to change the color of the shirt in-game, but the graphic will remain static, unless someone figures out a way to make the stencils themselves editable in CAS, but I don't see how...

Well, i remember i tried to change the colours of the graphic, in the first female adult shirt, and all i could do was change the background.
I can't really help how to this, but congratulations mate, this was a very helpful first step. Once you figure this out, i'll get working to do some graphic tees ;D

edit: and btw, nice superhero shirts :D
Test Subject
#31 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:00 PM
Im trying to follow how you did this snaitf but I'm not managing all that well.

so far I've:

extracted the xml, caspac and stencil ddl files for the adult male t shirt.

Ive created new stencil ddl's and changed the names.

I've also edited the xml to point to these new ddl's for stencils A,B and C.

Where do I go from there to create the new package file?

thanks
Unsocialized Homeschooler
#32 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 7:28 PM Last edited by Elephant : 14th Jun 2009 at 7:39 PM.
Will we be able to have separate textures for the back?
Or would that require a new mesh with two recolorable pieces and two patterns

Snaitf, in the real world you may be considered weird for putting so much work into this.
Here, you're a god.

Thank you so much for figuring this out! I've been so bummed that we couldn't create clothes from movies and such. For example, MarieFaye makes Padme's clothes from Star Wars. Without this breakthrough, things like that would be impossible.

I myself am starting to get better at creating clothes in TS2, and the possibility of doing this in TS3 is exciting.
Original Poster
#33 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elephant
Will we be able to have separate textures for the back?

Yes, there are a possible 6 stencils for one piece of clothing, and the required varialbes to set the offsets, so you can get it placed exactly where you want it.
Original Poster
#34 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabeeto
Im trying to follow how you did this snaitf but I'm not managing all that well.

so far I've:

extracted the xml, caspac and stencil ddl files for the adult male t shirt.

Ive created new stencil ddl's and changed the names.

I've also edited the xml to point to these new ddl's for stencils A,B and C.

Where do I go from there to create the new package file?

thanks

Well, first you have to make sure you have the right xml extracted, there are redundant ones not used by the game, these appear as regualr xml files, the ones the game actually uses are encoded, and have to be edited with a hex editor, you can't just pop them up in notepad.

second, after editing the part of the embedded xml you want to change, you have to change the sizes, offsets and item numbers in the file using the hex editor (viewing as decimal). The pattern is as follows:

[Offset to end of XML][Total # of items in XML] - [Item size in bytes / 2][Item][Item #] - (repeat for each item) - [Size of filename in bytes][Filename] - EOF encrypted stuff

Import into a new package file using s3pi or postal (making sure to use unique instance numbers), and saving to the mods/pakages folder.

BTW, the stencils are DDS files, not DDL files...
Test Subject
#35 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 9:09 PM
Yeah sorry, I meant DDS was probably thinking xml when I typed..

I wasn't aware that there were redundant XML files that makes it a bit more confusing.
I'll keep poking around, I was hoping I could avoid having to use a hex editor but oh well.

Where did you find the embedded xml, is that the same as the caspart or am I completely off? I'm pretty sure I know how to import the stuff into a new package file its just the sizes, offsets etc that I'm struggling with.

I think I may have to leave this to the experts, thanks for your help anyway. You've done a great job so far.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#36 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:05 PM
Yeah embedded XML is in the casparts that I showed you earlier Rabeeto.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#37 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:19 PM Last edited by Delphy : 14th Jun 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Snaitf, have you worked out what each of the 6 Stencils actually do yet? I noticed you've only been changed Stencil A on each of your packages.

Edited to add: Your "offset to end of XML" value doesn't seem to hold true for many of the normal casparts. In amHairPoliceman for example, it has a value of 0x2B1A (11034). Problem is, offset 11034 is 1 byte prior to another string later in the file (bare).

In fact, I think it's actually Offset + 8 (ie an offset from the end of the header), since then it takes you to the TGI list at the end (and, in fact, it's marked as a TGI list offset in the spec).

So, it should be:

DWORD version
DWORD tgiOffset // From end of header, ie + 8 to get to the true start of TGI list
DWORD numXMLchunks

Then the normal XML repeat information.

Original Poster
#38 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:51 PM
Snaitf, have you worked out what each of the 6 Stencils actually do yet? I noticed you've only been changed Stencil A on each of your packages.

Well, I haven't tested any of this, but the shirt file I originally used (cmTopShirtTee) has 2 shirts with stencils, the first and the last. The first one uses stencil A and the rest are disabled, the last one uses stencil B and the rest are disabled (or vice-versa, doesn't matter tho). I'm *assuming* you can put more than one stencil on a single piece of clothing, so you could have a picture on front AND one on the back, up to a total of 6. Maybe top right breast logo, top left, center front, center back, left arm and right arm are what they had in mind, just guessing. But I haven't tried making a shirt with 2 stencils, and changing the offset to display them both, maybe I'll go try that right now...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#39 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:11 PM
I'm just about done parsing all the XML into nice easy to read stuff, but it's gonna take a while to dump the lot into text boxes and so on. Should make things easier to figure out what is what.

Original Poster
#40 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:33 PM
Well, I haven't tested any of this, but the shirt file I originally used (cmTopShirtTee) has 2 shirts with stencils, the first and the last. The first one uses stencil A and the rest are disabled, the last one uses stencil B and the rest are disabled (or vice-versa, doesn't matter tho). I'm *assuming* you can put more than one stencil on a single piece of clothing, so you could have a picture on front AND one on the back, up to a total of 6. Maybe top right breast logo, top left, center front, center back, left arm and right arm are what they had in mind, just guessing. But I haven't tried making a shirt with 2 stencils, and changing the offset to display them both, maybe I'll go try that right now...

Yes, you can use more than one stencil per clothing item, and where you create the stencil in DDS file determines where it wraps to on the shirt...

EDIT - I attached the .package file so you can look at it if you like...
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  !TEST.rar (31.8 KB, 17 downloads) - View custom content
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#41 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 12:32 AM
Okay cool. That covers the Stencils, now just have to work out the Patterns. It seems that the 6 possible Stencils overlay on the top of the 3 Patterns?

Original Poster
#42 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 1:19 AM
Okay cool. That covers the Stencils, now just have to work out the Patterns. It seems that the 6 possible Stencils overlay on the top of the 3 Patterns?

From what I can tell, the patterns enabled true/false is to tell how many differant patterns the item can use, in this case two, the main shirt, and the collar/cuffs. The patterns refrenced in the file are just what is displayed by default in the catalog (either a flat color or a paticular pattern instance), and can be changed in the CAS.

EDIT - oh and also, the encoded stuff in the bottom is DEFINATELY what mesh the clothes fit on, I mixed-and-matched the afTopNude data file with the afTopShirtBlouse data file, and got a topless sim shapped like a blouse, pretty funny looking actually. But when I changed the skin tone it DID change the color of the blouse shaped nudity. I then tried just editing the afTopNude data file to include a piece of clothing hoping to get a topless sim that looks like a sim and got no errors, but it didn't show up either, so this encrypted data probably also includes which category the clothing shows up in, since I can't find that information anywhere.
Original Poster
#43 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 9:16 AM
Ok, I'm pulling my hair out now. Basically, I found that the costume makeup files are set up the same way as the shirt files were, so I though I would try to make a new costume makeup for the game. I extracted the happy clown makeup files, edited the DDS to make him a sad clown, changed the CAS data file appropriately and packaged, but it won't show. I've tried many things, but just can't get this to show up in the game, maybe you could take a quick look to see if I missed something?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  sad clown.rar (190.0 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#44 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 2:31 PM

I am not English speaker, please excuse poor English.

Did you find image file like this?
I edited this image.(like custom pattern) and re-packaged.

It can customize the part which can choose a pattern.
Screenshots
Original Poster
#45 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomyang
I am not English speaker, please excuse poor English.
Did you find image file like this?
I edited this image.(like custom pattern) and re-packaged.
It can customize the part which can choose a pattern.

I didn't think of trying that... Doing this you could create patterns that CAN be changed via the CAS, good idea...
Test Subject
#46 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 5:15 PM
Hi, this is my first post, and I'm just starting with this, but I have some questions... Could You write some little tutorial how we can make this? For now, I've only changed dds and thumbnail, but I Don't know what to do next, what change, what to do to upload to game...

P.S. Sorry for my english...
Tentacle Of Righteousness
#47 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 5:42 PM
Also while we're on this subject I think it would be interesting to add the ability to use patterns on the sims skin itself. all that is missing in cas for that option is the paint button, so editing the core to allow this should be possible...

Alt 255
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned
to a dead channel.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#48 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 6:49 PM
Snaitf, if you have a second, could you pop into #create? Want to double check some stuff with you.

Original Poster
#49 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 10:41 PM
screenshots for delphy:

They look fine, you can in both screenshots, first one selected, then other, they look the same on my game...
Screenshots
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#50 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 11:43 PM
Cheers Snaitf. (Just as an aside to others, the problem is to do with the game caching "bad" files when you just overwrite old ones. Clearing the various caches worked fine).

Page 2 of 3