Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: What do you think about TS3?
I HATE it!
7 4.29%
I dislike it.
15 9.20%
It's okay, I guess.
25 15.34%
I like it.
47 28.83%
I LOVE it!
59 36.20%
Where are the llamas???
10 6.13%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 1:33 AM
Default Official TS3 Opinions, Reviews, Likes and Dislikes Thread
Got an opinion on TS3? Of course you do! Whether you like it, hate it, or anything in between, this is the thread where you can post your opinions about it and discuss the finer points of what you think about the game, what it is, what it could have been, and what it should be!

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 1:36 AM
All in all, I really like a lot of aspects about the game, like the career paths and opportunities... the seamless neighborhoods, and details like being able to determine the sex of your Sim baby. That being said, customer support for the game sucks hairy BUTT! That's just MY opinion
Test Subject
#3 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 1:48 AM
I like it more now than I did at first. I'm not a game person, and I only played TS2 for about the last year. I feel like I have to learn everything all over again. I never played the base game by itself, I jumped right in to expansion packs and CC, so I feel like a lot of things are missing...
I'm really liking that you can customize everything, because I like stuff to match. BUT I'm spending far too much time making everything match LOL.
I also like having traits. It makes Sims much more interesting. I do not like that they have to work so much harder to have relationships. It seems like it takes FOREVER to become friends, etc.
Inventor
#4 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 1:49 AM
I could only put "I like it" because I'll only love it when there are expansion packs released that will make it have more things (objects, building supplies, clothes, hair, etc) to make it more enjoyable or when mods and custom content are released that make playing the game more exciting. I love a lot of the things that they've added in Sims 3, I just wish for more things to be added so that I can move beyond the limited things I've been doing with my sims for now.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 2:32 AM
Oh ... Where are the llamas?

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Alchemist
#6 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 2:43 AM
I would have loved story progression in TS2, 2 thumbs up for me
Scholar
#7 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 3:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Got an opinion on TS3? Of course you do! Whether you like it, hate it, or anything in between, this is the thread where you can post your opinions about it and discuss the finer points of what you think about the game, what it is, what it could have been, and what it should be!

I love all of my Sims games! But Sims 3 really has alot of potential to be totally amazing. It's a different type of game in alot of ways, so I won't be getting rid of my TS1 or 2 because I do occasionally want to play in the "old" style. I like having one playable family/sim and seeing what happens when he/she interacts with other sims and tries different things, especially with all of the different traits I can choose from. I would like to see new meshes and custom content, but I'm thinking our MTS artists will eventually be able to get their talented hands on some modding tools at some point and create some amazing stuff for the newest additions to our simmies' "family".

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Instructor
#8 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 3:18 AM
I play it everyday so I must like it. The one thing I really want more than anything at the moment is the ability to build our own neighborhood from scratch. I think that would rock soooooo much in this game. Sure right now you can demolish everything and start over, but I'd like a choice of maps. I'd find a nice simple one and I'd start small, a few businesses, a few families and as time progressed I'd expand and expand until my small town had grown into a bustling city filled with the descendants of those first few families.
Test Subject
#9 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 3:59 AM Last edited by Verno77 : 19th Jun 2009 at 4:59 PM.
Overall it's really good, but there are a few things that bug me.

Rabbit Holes: I really don't like rabbit holes, because, as a lot builder, I would rather have the opportunity to create my own restaurant or theater or store and upload them to the exchange. Currently, there's a limited amount of community lot types to build.

Useless Seamless Neighborhood: I love the idea of the seamless neighborhood, however household you aren't in control of do nothing. It would be cool if your household and other households affected each other in meaningful way. Why don't they throw their own party's or drop by for a visit instead of just calling your sim. Why not have Sims in the law enforcement career cause problems for the criminal career and vice versa. Maybe a journalist can get a sim in a government or law enforcement career fired and blacklisted from the neighborhood. Also It would be nice to have gobs of info on the neighborhood on demand. Maybe have a "view neighborhood history" option in the menus.

Needs More Events: In relation to the above complaint, nothing really interesting or unexpected happens to your household or neighborhood. I would love to see alien invasion or a zombie outbreak occur. Maybe an economic depression can make your sim lose his job and prevent him from getting a new one. More stuff needs to happen to shake up your sims lives a little.

Little Death effect: When a family member or a well know sim dies it seems to have no effect on the sims, especially if they have a many good moodlets. It would be more realistic if deaths dramatically decrease a sims mood no matter how many good moodlets they have.

The Trait Fit: There are a lot of traits to choose from, but if you’re trying to create an actual sim it can be difficult to select traits that fit the character. They need to be more simplistic. Often, a part of a trait fits a character well, but not the whole trait. Also some traits fit a character, but are more extreme then the characters actually trait (e.g. neurotic vs worrywart).

Limited Male Hair (With Limited Appeal):
Ok, the male hair in The Sims 3 sucks. It's just a bunch of emo and goofy hair styles. There's nothing normal for an adult sim to have.

Well that's all the bad stuff I can think of. I can't think of an good things specifically. I do like the game, but all I can think of are ways to improve it.

Quote: Originally posted by alyria80
I play it everyday so I must like it. The one thing I really want more than anything at the moment is the ability to build our own neighborhood from scratch. I think that would rock soooooo much in this game. Sure right now you can demolish everything and start over, but I'd like a choice of maps. I'd find a nice simple one and I'd start small, a few businesses, a few families and as time progressed I'd expand and expand until my small town had grown into a bustling city filled with the descendants of those first few families.

there's suppose to be a neighborhood editor coming, but there hasn't been any news on it recently.
Test Subject
#10 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 6:08 AM
I like this game, but the enabled llamas never come...
That being said, I love the trait system, and I've never had the above problems. The male hair was solved with the 1000 free sim points that the game comes with. As for death, my Sims spend two days in craptastic moods. Of course, this was before I started making ambrosia.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Verno77
-Useless Seamless Neighborhood: I love the idea of the seamless neighborhood, however household you aren't in control of do nothing. It would be cool if your household and other households affected each other meaningful way. Why don't they throw their own party's or drop by for a visit instead of just calling your sim. Why not have Sims in the law enforcement career cause problems for the criminal career and vice versa. Maybe a journalist can get a sim in a government or law enforcement career fired and blacklisted from the neighborhood. Also It would be nice to have gobs of info on the neighborhood on demand. Maybe have a "view neighborhood history" option in the menus.

I very much agree. Sims currently not controlled by the player act almost not. When I thought about the seamless neighbourhood, I figured that finally, other Sims propose to you or fall in love with you without you really knowing their inentions. Or that you're invited out to the bistro and find a ring in your champagne. Other households throwing parties, inviting you to their wedding/birthday/funeral and not attending having serious social repercussions. As in reputation (people think you're emotionless when not calling your friend after that friend lost a husband, e.g.).

Also, moodlets need serious advancement. A 2 day long positive moodlet after getting married is simply not enough. And if your partner dies, especially when only being a young adult or an adult, every once in a while the Sim should be extremely down and depressed, if the Sim doesn't move on and find happyness otherwise.

There were just a lot of features so highly praised and hyped that expectations were running wild. Clever marketing wouldn't have allowed that and clever developers would have met the expectations.
I still remember that one early marketing trailer-type-movies where they talked about endless possibilities of stories and mentioned that young teenager sitting in front of the large window on the 2nd floor and the boy-teenager from across the street was watching her from his 2nd floor window, having a crush on her.
Sure, I can recreate that story (provided that not-controlled female teenager doesn't move into a household of 6 with her mother, leaving the father behind because he got 3 babies sent from heaven), but those stories aren't created by the game. What if I play that girl, and suddenly that boy I was just friends with confessed his love? That'd be really fun! (Especially the drama that follows.)
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 11:55 AM
i voted for "i love it" and i really do.. i still have sims 2 installed but i don't play it anymore.. the only thing i miss in sims 3 is the variety of all things like furniture, building stuff and so on.. but that's just a matter of time

the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
and you have burned so very, very brightly, roy.
Test Subject
#13 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 12:42 PM
Default More deco content!!!!
There're many aspects of Sims 3 that I like, but the lack of deco objects is really disappointing. I mean, look at the misc deco stuff! I want much more! MUCH MORE! One of the things that really made me love Sims 2 and it's expansions was the respectable amount of deco items; plants, wall hangings and so on. Sims 3 lacks variation when it comes to decoration, and that's really a shame, because it is indeed a great game.
Inventor
#14 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 3:11 PM
I've not logged in to World Of Warcraft since I got Sims 3, and I have 2 accounts...

I think that says enough.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Scholar
#15 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
I've not logged in to World Of Warcraft since I got Sims 3, and I have 2 accounts...

I think that says enough.

LOL...me either! I let my account expire (it expired just before I got my Sims 3) and haven't put in my game card code because I'm so into my Sims. I kind of figured that would happen though. I am kind of bummed cuz I'm remodelling and can't play for a few days (doing demolition on my kitchen).
Happy Simming!

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Instructor
#16 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 4:53 PM
There are a lot of things that nag me. The borked Story Progression is one. How the sims move is more like Sims 1 than Sims 2. The pathing issues. I mean, please! In Sims 1 they would get all confussed trying to move past one another, but in my game at least, it was less of an issue in Sims 2. They've moved backward in that regard. I don't like that married couples have to do all kinds of romantic lead-ups to be able to do more advance romantic interactions. Once you're married, you shouldn't have to hold hands and flirt endlessly to bring "massage" back into the pie menu. Talking on the phone to friends and acquaintences should have more of a positive impact. And if your sim is charismatic, it should have even more. As it stands, it has little to no impact. The "move in" option shouldn't disappear if you've started your sim and their interest in a romantic direction. Once the relationship gets that high, the "move in" option disappears from the pie menu. Which isn't really logical. You should be able to have a sim who you know better than a mere acquaintence move in, when now, it's some sim you slightly know.

All those things aside, I've been enjoying exploring the game and what you can do with it.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 5:05 PM
Locking previous thread, What's your opinion on TS3? - more opinions can be found there.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 5:11 PM
Hi all. I've not been on this board for ages because lately, I have been playing a lot less as work comes first - but I had to go buy TS3 eventually! So I did, I think I got the game on monday, and have been playing it every day since.

My opinion, so far:

The most confusing aspect for me is how to get one town with several playable characters - like it used to be. I ended up creating many different games and eventually moving all the created characters into the same town, thinking that would be the end of my problems.
But just to illustrate how confusing this turned out to be:

My main character (Aeris) lives as a loner outside town and loves her gardening.
I then created her boyfriend Sirius and moved him in with her. But after playing a few days I found that you need so much attention for one sim that I moved Sirius out to his own house thinking that everything will be just fine and I'll play both characters alternately.

However, what really happened is that Sirius moved into another house, then fell in love with some girl, ( this is in his own game); in Yuki's game ( a guitarist in town) he lives alone ( in the house I allocated for him) and chats up every girl in town, but when she went to visit Aeris she found Sirius still living with Aeris. When I switched back to Aeris' game, Sirius lived in said other house and had in fact acquired a partner ( a different one again!) Needless to say Aeris was furious and I ended up killing Sirius off completely, and have now reinstalled him in her game in her house and in her life.

This is terribly confusing and frustrating. I'm on of these people who like to play the whole neighbourhood, and the system is bound to bring on more and more troubles the more people I play.

I also miss a height option - sims can now be fat and thin but they still are all the same height. How much does it take to incorporate that into the game???

Anyway, so far, that's the only bad points I can find.

On to the good points! :D

For the first time ever, I find the jobs intriguing. I never let any sim work in S1 and S2 , not for long anyway, because it just took time from the things I wanted them to do ( which was mostly having friends, fun, and lots of children XD). Now I love finding them different jobs, creating the different traits, and watching the Sims being totally different and wildly various people. That is just fantastic. ( so far, I have two outdoors types, one a gardener, one a rock collector; then a guitarist, and *grins* Mulder and Scully from the X-files, who are both workoholics, geniuses, and Scully is extremely unflirty while Mulder is quite the opposite. )
This is the best upgrade ever for the sims, in my eyes. Also for the first time ever, I don't ignore the ready-made sims in my town which I totally used to ( I used to kill or replace townies with my own a lot) - now I find them interesting and finally worth getting to know. It also helps that they don't all just look silly anymore. The ready-made Sims 2 guys, for example, were always the most geeky and ugly Sims in my hood - who'd want to date them???

As for Create-A-Sim:

As a Second-Life- resident, the CAS screen is highly overdue and nothing too astounding, I would also appreciate if we could still hone our sims faces after creating them which is easily done in Second Life but apparently a no-go in TS3. Waiting for soemthing like insimenator to fix this.

I love the clothing part, nothing quite like getting up in the morning and MAKING yourself your dress of the day.

Furniture , it drove me mad after a few tries to change each and every aspect of some furniture, so I mostly just ignore it.

Great is also that normal flowers and trees don't have to be tended anymore - my sim can concentrate on the plants that yield fruit, rather than having to water flowers and replace them all the time. ( where's the weather? hopefully soon to come!)

My verdict, 8/10, with the saving troubles being the one big bad point.
Test Subject
#19 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheShady
I very much agree. Sims currently not controlled by the player act almost not. When I thought about the seamless neighbourhood, I figured that finally, other Sims propose to you or fall in love with you without you really knowing their inentions. Or that you're invited out to the bistro and find a ring in your champagne. Other households throwing parties, inviting you to their wedding/birthday/funeral and not attending having serious social repercussions. As in reputation (people think you're emotionless when not calling your friend after that friend lost a husband, e.g.).

Also, moodlets need serious advancement. A 2 day long positive moodlet after getting married is simply not enough. And if your partner dies, especially when only being a young adult or an adult, every once in a while the Sim should be extremely down and depressed, if the Sim doesn't move on and find happyness otherwise.

There were just a lot of features so highly praised and hyped that expectations were running wild. Clever marketing wouldn't have allowed that and clever developers would have met the expectations.
I still remember that one early marketing trailer-type-movies where they talked about endless possibilities of stories and mentioned that young teenager sitting in front of the large window on the 2nd floor and the boy-teenager from across the street was watching her from his 2nd floor window, having a crush on her.
Sure, I can recreate that story (provided that not-controlled female teenager doesn't move into a household of 6 with her mother, leaving the father behind because he got 3 babies sent from heaven), but those stories aren't created by the game. What if I play that girl, and suddenly that boy I was just friends with confessed his love? That'd be really fun! (Especially the drama that follows.)

Social interaction in The Sims 3 fails to achieve realism, because all the sims love one another no matter what. there's no fear of rejection, because it's as if all sims are attracted to one another and everyone's a perfect match to one another. Sims with all opposite traits could probably get married after a few 100 flirts and hugs in a row. It just doesn't matter, which ruins the significance of any romantic relationship. In The Sims 3, the teen boy doesn't need to watch the teen girl from the window, because he can just go right up to her and start flirting, without any fear of rejection, no matter how pretty she is, how ugly he is, or how incompatible they may be.
Scholar
#20 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AyaMaja
There're many aspects of Sims 3 that I like, but the lack of deco objects is really disappointing. I mean, look at the misc deco stuff! I want much more! MUCH MORE! One of the things that really made me love Sims 2 and it's expansions was the respectable amount of deco items; plants, wall hangings and so on. Sims 3 lacks variation when it comes to decoration, and that's really a shame, because it is indeed a great game.

The initial Sims 2 shipped with much more attractive furniture and clothes.

Imagine a world without hypothetical situations
Test Subject
#21 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stygia2002
LOL...me either! I let my account expire (it expired just before I got my Sims 3) and haven't put in my game card code because I'm so into my Sims. I kind of figured that would happen though. I am kind of bummed cuz I'm remodelling and can't play for a few days (doing demolition on my kitchen).
Happy Simming!

I see there are a few of us that haven't been back to play WoW since starting Sims 3. The hubby had sent me some items through the mail and he had to retrieve them so they didn't end up sitting for 30 days and get purged.

Test Subject
#22 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 8:03 PM
Default Room for improvement
I like what theyve done with it, but... kinda like sims2, it really wont be fun w/o mods and custom stuff. hoping to see lotsa mods and what not soon ;/ the fate of ts3 hangs on it.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 9:33 PM
I have a renewed love for Sims 2 and have put three away for now. I find it very, very boring...

"In the game of Life". It is better to aim at something and risk a miss, than it is to aim at nothing and hit.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mistressgemini
The hubby had sent me some items through the mail and he had to retrieve them so they didn't end up sitting for 30 days and get purged.

If they sit for 30 days, they get returned, not purged.

My guild needs me (best priest they have) so I can't play TS3 as much as I'd like. While I lament the lack of buy mode/build mode features, a lot of the functionality I miss from TS2 came from mods, not the game itself. I'm happy with TS3 though, for sure. I wish people (including me) could stop comparing it to TS2. While it's a sequel with overall similar gameplay, it IS a new, different game and should be treated as such IMO.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#25 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 2:50 AM
I am bored by TS3 and I can't figure out why. I have tried careers and gardening and fishing and collecting things and having babies and touring buildings and visiting neighbors and living "homeless" (though that Sim's life was so easy with all the picnic lunches and openly-accessible showers that I decided she was less homeless and more a freegan). I have played CAS-made Sims and I have rotated through the Bachelor/Goth/Langerak/Landgraab houses in a complex storyline (bless Pescado's hack). I've had Sims in Sunset Valley and Sims in Riverview. My next attempt will be to configure the Awesomemod to Sims 2 style aging/time, clear out all the playables from Sunset Valley and move my own CAS-created Sims in. In essence, to play TS3 as if it were TS2 with glorious sunsets.
Page 1 of 21