Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#51 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by strangeguy823
because most of the cases are religious-related

This is just going in circles, this has been explained several times.
Advertisement
Banned
#52 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:16 AM
because most of the cases are religious-related

Which makes them biased and considering the APA called conversion therapy pseudoscience, they have no weight in the scientific world.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:18 AM Last edited by jhd1189 : 28th Jul 2009 at 5:54 AM. Reason: Merged posts: 2744487, 2744490
Quote: Originally posted by Safyre420
liberals may have it wrong as well but they at least don't claim they are correct in the way they think because their imaginary sky faerie told them to think that way.

probably the same number of conservatives and liberals claim their ways are the correct ones

their imaginary sky faerie told them

lol marijuana

Which makes them biased and considering the APA called conversion therapy pseudoscience, they have no weight in the scientific world.

lol, this topic debate is only scientific?
Banned
#54 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:20 AM
probably the same number of conservatives and liberals claim their ways are the correct ones

Quite possibly but the conservatives use the bible to back up their statements where as liberals generally don't.

Quote:
lol marijuana

Nothing wrong with marijuana, and quite frankly if everyone on earth were to get stoned, the world might actually be a more peaceful place.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by The_French_Sim
In other words, religious pressure forces them to frustrate and delude themselves.

they become ex-gays because of their own will, nobody's forcing them
Field Researcher
#56 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:20 AM

It is worse than pseudoscience, I think it is tantamount to "brainwashing" and will inevitable do a lot of psychological harm in the long run.

liberals may have it wrong as well but they at least don't claim they are correct in the way they think because their imaginary sky faerie told them to think that way.

LOL, brilliant.
Forum Resident
#57 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:20 AM
We're talking psychology here, a science. What kind of topic do you think it is? What fields would you rather were involved?

they become ex-gays because of their own will, nobody's forcing them

Of course, of course, my bad. Then, why exactly do they decide to "turn straight", if not because a) they're scared shitless God will send them to Hell, b) homophobes harrass them or c) they're frowned upon by their highly conservative community?

It's pressure in all three cases.
Top Secret Researcher
#58 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:21 AM
look the article's sources

We don't know what these people feel inside. These men may say, "I have truly overcome my sinful illness!" and have a full-blown relationship with another man in secrecy while playing the "good husband, good father" role.

As a gay guy, I know that homosexuality isn't a choice. I'm not sure if we're 100% born gay or if there're environmental factors involved, but sexuality doesn't come with an on/off switch.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:21 AM
We're talking psychology here, a science. What kind of topic do you think it is? What fields would you rather were involved?

religion
Mad Poster
#60 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:21 AM
It is utterly beyond me why anyone would consider homosexuality to be a choice. Considering the acrimonious social stigma, atrocious lack of civil rights, and criminal violence sometimes associated with homosexuality, why would anyone in their right mind choose such a path? One's sexuality is not something to wake up one morning and decide to change- it's an innate part of human existence, and not one that can be changed. I think that people who vacillate between sexualities are clearly very confused individuals or people in denial of who they really are. At this point, we don't know from where one's sexuality originates- I'm inclined to say somewhere in the deepest abysses of the brain during gestation- but does it really matter? The assertation that homosexuality is a choice is merely a defense mechanism for homophobes to further bar homosexuals from their well-deserved rights.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Field Researcher
#61 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:22 AM

Lets go for the blind faith, religious dogma approach, this debate will be over very quickly.
Banned
#62 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:22 AM

Not really, but the only "evidence" that can be brought to the table by those religiously inclined is their holy text or personal experience and only one of those two would mean something. Give you 1 guess which one wouldn't mean anything.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
We don't know what these people feel inside. These men may say, "I have truly overcome my sinful illness!" and have a full-blown relationship with another man in secrecy while playing the "good husband, good father" role.

As a gay guy, I know that homosexuality isn't a choice. I'm not sure if we're 100% born gay or if there're environmental factors involved, but sexuality doesn't come with an on/off switch.

some people absolutely stop same-sex relationships
Field Researcher
#64 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:23 AM

They are called bisexuals or brainwashed liars.

Not really, but the only "evidence" that can be brought to the table by those religiously inclined is their holy text or personal experience and only one of those two would mean something. Give you 1 guess which one wouldn't mean anything.

Religion
Banned
#65 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:24 AM

Yes some people do, but those that do and still hold true to themselves go celibate instead of living a lie.
Top Secret Researcher
#66 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:25 AM

Now, now, play nice when talking about religion. While I believe that the Bible is just a book of great literature and teaches us valuable lessons on SOME parts of life than the end all, be all truth, we don't want this to spiral into a relgiious debate.
Forum Resident
#67 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:26 AM
It. Does. Not. Make. Them. Heterosexuals if they're still attracted to the same sex, regardless of whether they still have relationships with them or not!

If, for some reason, I gave up on all relationships, yet still felt sexual attraction towards women, would I become asexual? No, I'd be a heterosexual who doesn't get any.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Neil__
They are called bisexuals or brainwashed liars.

not bisexual, cuz if they were, they would assume bisexuality
Banned
#69 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by happycowlover
Now, now, play nice when talking about religion. While I believe that the Bible is just a book of great literature and teaches us valuable lessons on SOME parts of life than the end all, be all truth, we don't want this to spiral into a relgiious debate.

the bible does teach some valuable lessons but it is inherently flawed due to human tampering. It is also inevitable that this will turn into a religious debate, the threads about homosexuality usually do at some point.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:28 AM
It. Does. Not. Make. Them. Heterosexuals if they're still attracted to the same sex, regardless of whether they still have relationships with them or not!

did I ever say that? ex-gay isnt the same thing as straight, but comes closer to
Field Researcher
#71 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:28 AM
@strangeguy823

I'd love to stay up and bash my head against your blind faith some more.
But my world is governed by facts and one is that I have work in the morning.
Forum Resident
#72 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:30 AM
did I ever say that? ex-gay isnt the same thing as straight, but comes closer to

So, you're admitting they just give up on relationships while still feeling attraction to the same sex?
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:30 AM
the bible does teach some valuable lessons but it is inherently flawed due to human tampering. It is also inevitable that this will turn into a religious debate, the threads about homosexuality usually do at some point.

this thread is about causes of homosexuality, not about ex-gay people

perhaps we should stop talking about this, and stick to the thread's subject
Top Secret Researcher
#74 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:30 AM

So do you honestly believe that this is a happy way to live? To deny yourself of true love because of what religion or society says?
Banned
#75 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:31 AM
So, you're admitting they just give up on relationships while still feeling attraction to the same sex?

Now now frenchie, that would put me in with this "ex-gay" crowd since I haven't had a relationship in roughly 4 years. lol

Page 3 of 29