Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 6:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Why wont my downloads show up in game?
I downloaded the historical skirt and blouse from TSR. They never showed up in game. Yes, Ive checked many times and I did it correctly. Some other downloads, both from TSR and MTS2 havent shown up either.

The majority of what Ive downloaded has shown up. Is this happening because we are in such an early stage that not everything works correctly yet?

Anyone else have the same problem or who can offer a solution?

I dont have the Installer monkey (doesnt work with my computer for some reason)...but yes they are in the right place, how else would the rest of my downloads show up...?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 3:58 AM
i have the same problem. if it shows up as a package file in my downloads folder it won't be in my game, but if it shows up as a custom content file, it will show up in my game loader and i can install it from there. what do i do?
shiny!
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 4:45 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • Sims 3 - Installing Custom Content
    You appear to not have read our great guides to downloading and installing custom content for Sims 3.

Game_Help:TS3_Custom_Contentwiki This link contains everything you've ever wanted to know about installing .package and sims3packs.

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 7:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dorotea
I downloaded the historical skirt and blouse from TSR. They never showed up in game. Yes, Ive checked many times and I did it correctly. Some other downloads, both from TSR and MTS2 havent shown up either.

The majority of what Ive downloaded has shown up. Is this happening because we are in such an early stage that not everything works correctly yet?

Anyone else have the same problem or who can offer a solution?

I dont have the Installer monkey (doesnt work with my computer for some reason)...but yes they are in the right place, how else would the rest of my downloads show up...?

What do you call the right place?

If its a file that looks like a plumbbob, it goes into your downloads folder in My Documents.
After that file is in that folder, you need to open the Launcher and install that file. Almost all TSR files need to be installed by the launcher after they are in the Downloads folder. I believe this is the problem.

If it is a package file it needs to go into your premade Packages folder.

They go here:
C:Program Files>Electronic Arts> Sims3>Mods>Packages.

I've never seen a file NOT work. It is always a user error.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 9:56 AM
Sisaly, that is not correct.

– Downloads do not go in My Documents.
– It is irrelevant where a .sims3pack is if you want to install it with the Launcher.
– .sims3packs don't usually need to be installed with the Launcher.
– The Packages folder is not premade.
– Files can very well be broken / not working – it's not always user error. Examples: hair under OS X; incompatible/outdated mods.

Dorotea, please refer to the FAQ that callistra posted. The info in there is complete and correct.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#6 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 11:39 PM
wow, so rude....and i still don't know what i'm doing wrong.....
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 11:57 PM
Sisaly, stop arguing. This thread isn't about you. Thanks.

chi_hibaya, did you do the FAQ that callistra posted? Putting a package file in your downloads folder won't help anything, which is quite clearly explained in there. If you get stuck with the FAQ, please let us know at what point.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#8 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 1:13 AM
A suggestion for the wiki directions, maybe update to list the difference if you have 64-bit Vista. Because then you don't create the folder in C:/Program Files/~ but C:/Program Files (x86)/~.

Maybe that difference is causing some to get hung up with this?
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#9 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 1:24 AM
And, for some Vista users, if you install by hand and do not use the monkey, you should extract the contents of the archive elsewhere and then cut and paste the files into the mods/packages folder.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#10 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 3:27 AM
does anyone have a link to it, because i can't seem to find it
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 4:12 AM
Link to what? The Sims3pack Installer Monkey? It's in the link given by Callistra.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#12 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 5:30 AM
and i'm looking for the link given by this callistra person but i can't find any posts or threads made by this person. i already looked through their profile
In the Arena
retired moderator
#13 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 5:42 AM
the link is in Callistra's post - the one with the 'wiki' superscript
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 11:03 AM
chi_hibaya: post #3 of this thread.

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#15 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 1:12 AM
Just to clarify, because I think things are getting a bit confused here and perhaps a bit heated when it doesn't need to be.

There are three types of files for TS3 custom content that you'll usually run into:

Package files:

These files go in Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages and you will need a downloaded Resource.cfg file in your Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder to enable the game to read files from the Mods\Packages folder. Mods\Packages is not present on its own and will have to be created.

The easiest way to install .package files is to use the Helper Monkey, as it makes Mods\Packages, as well as a Resource.cfg file, and lets you just double-click package files and it will automatically copy them into Mods\Packages for you.

Items installed in .package format will not be recognized as "custom content" by the game - that is, no special symbol and will not show up under the * symbol for custom content. They'll just be lumped in with default content.

Sims3pack files

These files can be installed a few ways:

A) Double-click on the file to have the launcher run and to copy it to the "to be installed" directory. That is, My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads - you don't have to move files around or do anything yourself, just double-click the file, wait, and then install it using the Launcher.

B) Manually move the sims3pack file to My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads yourself. You will still have to install using the Launcher.

C) Use a third-party program (there are at least three - jfade has one, Delphy has another, and TSR has a third one) to install multiple sims3packs at once.

If you use either option A or B, you will need to run the game's launcher and install the content to your game before it will show up in-game. There will be a special symbol on any areas that need your attention on the bottom left line of buttons in the launcher. You can just select all and install on any of these buttons to get all the content in-game.

Sim files

These files are just the sims themselves, and go in your My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\SavedSims\ folder. You may have to manually create that folder yourself. Just place any .sim files in that folder and they will show up as premade sims in Create a Sim for you to use and modify for your own new families.

To find a file's type: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...acking_Idiots_4

That's written for Sims 2, but the same methods for finding file type in Windows apply for all programs.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.