Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Beautiful Vista buff adjustment - Little LOTte lot editor (Updated 8/28)

by TigerM Posted 26th Aug 2009 at 8:44 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:12 PM by Nysha

111 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 100 Feedback Posts, 10 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 9:34 AM
How interesting! Does it come with instructions? How do I, the totally uninitiated in the internal workings of Sims 3, know what values to use? Is it dangerous to just experiment around with random values? Gotta think about this one a bit, but thank you for sharing this!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 9:37 AM
oh, COOL! SWEET! BV MOODLET IS BACK! .
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 9:38 AM
Can't really break anything with this one. All those numbers do is modify the mood sims get on the lot, and the base lot value. Typical numbers are 15-30 for lots with a beautiful vista, and up to 15000 for the value modifier for some of the prime locations. You can look over what existing lots have.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:01 AM
Very neat idea, I only found out about the beautiful vista thingie so thanks for this tweaker utility. You have 2 download files is he first only for windows and the second for both? Again thanks for the upload.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:04 AM
This looks really useful, thanks very much!
Test Subject
#7 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:26 AM
Thank you very much ! I read yesterday that you shouldn't destroy lots with the Beautiful Vista moodlet. But there was no solution on how to restore it. And today you bring that solution ! I'm happy !
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 10:28 AM
For sure, I'll try it. Thanks TigerM !
Instructor
#9 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:03 AM
This has to one of the most anticipated things for TS3. So many have been disappointed by loosing their Beautiful Vista Moodlets on lots, me included! Thanks for the nice little program to fix my game lots. Now I can put houses where I want!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:16 AM
Yay! It's out, and I have been anticipating the use of this tool. Thanks for your brain and figuring out this phenomenon. Going now to put back what I destroyed.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:17 AM
Thank you for this great tool, it helps a lot. Now you can stop torturing your 1337 sim
Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:20 AM
This is nice and getting closer to a lot re size tool wich i am hopeing will we here soon
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:30 AM
Thanks! This will be very usefull
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:59 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 28th Aug 2009 at 10:57 AM.
I'm glad to see that you figured this out.

There seems to be a problem though, running this in mono/OS X – when it doesn't find the game files, it becomes completely unresponsive and the only way out is to kill X11. What I'm doing is run it, then do File > Open, then cancel (because at that point I remember that I need to move the game app first) -- brain fart. I don't. I only need to go to /Documents, not /Applications. I'm not getting any errors in Terminal.

I'm trying this with the exe only and MonoFramework-2.4.2.3, both with and without the Carbon System.Windows.Forms driver. I'm on OS X 10.5.7, X11 2.0 (XQuartz 2.1.6).

How are you looking for the game files? Would it be possible for you to somehow prompt the user if it can't find them? (ideally with an option to enter the path manually, as I can't seem to browse outside userland in mono – this is probably a mono issue, but since I did a completely standard install I'm probably not the only one who has this issue) -- again, brain fart, sorry. This isn't an issue here since we only need files in /User anyway.

2009-08-28: All fixed now.

OS X users: if you need info on where to find mono and how to get stuff to run on your system in genereal, look at this thread.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 12:40 PM
Hmm, thanks for the report, I normally test under mono on Linux but I was tired when I submitted this so skipped it. However I tested it just now I couldn't reproduce it... Of course Linux isn't OSX, but mono is, more or less, mono.

It is certainly possible to allow entering a path to look in. I'm curious, though, why you think it was the searching for files that is causing the problem? It actually does that as a background thread, since strictly speaking they aren't required, they just make things look nicer. So unless there is some threading peculiarity on mac, I can't see how it would be any different.

Does it work ok if you actually open a file instead of cancel? Or if you just don't do anything and let it sit for a bit? When it stops responding, is it spinning up on CPU time, or just doing nothing?

If all else fails, I can put in a fail-safe where it will skip searching files if it was unable to complete it, or a parameter to force skipping the search. However I'm really confused why this one wouldn't work. When it is searching, first it checks the registry for the Sims 3 install location. I believe mono emulates registry access to allow a limited amount for applications storing settings. Either way, it will be much like the key didn't exist, and at the worst throw an exception, which would then be handled. Next it tries to get your documents folder, and navigate to the downloaded content, to get the information for Riverview (If present). Again though that should all be protected by exception handlers, and be happening in a background thread as soon as the app starts.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 1:30 PM
Wow, what a good idea!
Thank you, sensei.

What is it exactly that disgusts me about you? Don't worry about it.
Test Subject
#17 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 1:34 PM
This Is Great!! Thank You !!
Instructor
#18 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 1:44 PM
Thank you for a much-needed solution to a(nother) stupid EA-made problem.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 2:24 PM
Wonderful mod, gosh you don't know how much this is appreciated by me. I do want to report something, just finding the right words to explain is hard right now, so I hope you understand me.

I am playing a totally clean (except for community lots) neighborhood template, meaning that the BV buff were wiped from all the lots that should have them. I am using it as a test hood for Awesomemod. I was concerned about losing the buff and that is why I downloaded this tool.

So I used the tool to put values in lots that should have the BV buff, also put it in parks, like Pinochle Park cause I dropped a revised one in that space. There shouldn't have been a BV buff there, as the tool shown when I clicked on it. So I added my values to it and saved the file. As the attachment shows, I have 2 BV buffs, one for parks, and the one I put values is for residential.

Is this tool just for residential lots, or is this the way it was intended to work? It didn't crash the game or anything, just wanted to know so I can adjust the values on community lots.

Attachments didn't work, so I uploaded the pics:

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#20 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 2:30 PM
Pretty cool :-)
Scholar
#21 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 2:39 PM
YES! You are my hero. :lovestruc

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 3:09 PM
This is indeed wonderful!! Now I can really enjoy my game!!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 3:33 PM
This is great! Thank you! The install instructions are hilarious.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#24 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 3:52 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for providing a non install version. I am in the process of building a new computer and run all my sims apps from a secondary drive, so I won't have to re-install any of them.
Test Subject
#25 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 4:08 PM
Good job!!
Thanks for share~
Page 1 of 5