Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#51 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 7:06 PM
I had to look it up, because the Duggars being catholic just didn't sound right, in the back of my mind. But, even though the official catholic church's position is no artificial methods of birth control (notice, the policy is against artificial means, not birth control itself) in no way implies American catholics are devout at following it. In fact, the vast majority of catholics in the US practice all sorts of birth control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 7:38 PM
Who gives a shit about what any western person thinks,
Catholics are against condoms in AIDS ridden Africa,
The only hope of holding back the death toll is the use of protection,

Catholics are against that,
Fk the west, it can look after itself

Think further than your pulpit.
think about life.
I hate the Catholics, they are killing people with their bullshit virgin birth lies.

BTW Mary wasn't a "virgin" it was a miss translation, she was a "young woman"

In those times a young woman was anything above 12, YES, God could have been a paedophile.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world" Richard Dawkins.
Nail 'em up I say. Nail some sense into 'em
I can't prove you aren’t, at this minute, wearing a pink tutu, By all theistic logic, I must infer that you probably are.
Scholar
#53 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CuddlesdaTeddlyBear
You know, some parents would be horrified to hear you say that but there are children out there having sex that young. I remember there was a rumor going around our primary school that a nine year old boy had sex with an older girl in one of the bathrooms. If I had a teen I would rather they have protected sex with my knowledge then shove abstinence down their throat and they sneak around behind me having unsafe sex and wind up pregnant, or worse.

I know a few parents like that too (USA internet people). One is a mom with ADHD.. who expects her ADHD son to listen to her. He ain't even listen to her when he has to get off her computer. She has to beat him off the thin. Its just a matter of time till he has some girl preggy. She truly believes he wil stay abstinent because they are christian.

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vanito
I know a few parents like that too (USA internet people). One is a mom with ADHD.. who expects her ADHD son to listen to her. He ain't even listen to her when he has to get off her computer. She has to beat him off the thin. Its just a matter of time till he has some girl preggy. She truly believes he wil stay abstinent because they are christian.

I wish her all the best. Someone mentioned earlier that teens always find a way to do or get what they want. If she can't even get him off the PC when she says so there's no way she can keep him a virgin until he's married. I do hope he doesn't get an unwanted pregnancy though. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Scholar
#55 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:48 PM
I wish her all the best. Someone mentioned earlier that teens always find a way to do or get what they want. If she can't even get him off the PC when she says so there's no way she can keep him a virgin until he's married. I do hope he doesn't get an unwanted pregnancy though. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Shit happens. Problem is her taking advice from a 2000 year old book over common sense. Several women I know from the USA are shocked at the idea their teen might be having sex and not telling them. They mean well but they do not live in nowadays reality.

Test Subject
#56 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 12:28 AM
What do you mean when you say, "should they be treated as regular adults"? If this means they would be entitled to consume alcohol, drive an automobile, vote, and gamble, my answer would be a definitive no, as I do not believe giving birth automatically entitles someone to all adult privileges. These teen parents are simply children who have managed to get themselves into an adult situation. However, they should be held responsible for the well-being of the child, and if they are unable to provide, appropriate legal measures should be enforced.

Personally, I think it is a huge mistake, but I suppose it is a personal choice. Quite frankly, it pains me to see teenage parents because, in general, very few teenagers are able to handle the responsibilities of being a parent. Sure, some families are wealthy and can handle the fiscal aspects, but that does not change the fact that people under the age of 18 are still "children" in a sense. I cannot think of a single person (including myself) who has not changed significantly since their teenage years. I admit that I would not have been able to do it, but then again, I have never wanted children in the first place.

I honestly do not know what the hell kids are doing these days. When I was in school, it was a big deal if someone got pregnant at the age of 16, 17, or 18, but now I am hearing about 11-15 year olds getting into the same situation. Schools needs better sex education programs, but unfortunately, these situations are always going to happen somewhere.
Alchemist
#57 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 2:59 AM
hmm...tricky.
i think it depends on the parents.
and i know thats kind of a not-really answer, but i have more to add.

personally, i think if you really want the kid, and if you know youll love them and care for them like a real parent should--go for it. some teens make FABULOUS mothers and can handle the responsibility, patience...basically, everything it calls for.
HOWEVER there are of course, also teen mothers who have no clue what theyre doing, and either it wasnt their idea, or they thought itd be more fun than it turned out to be...and those are the kinds of people id want to feel discouraged from early motherhood.
like myself.
i for one KNOW i wont be ready for a baby until im in the right state of mind and financial position, and i intend to hold off on popping anything out of my uteri until i can safely say i'll be able to give it the love, attention, and support that it needs.

i also believe that at least SOME teen parents are made by stubborn grandparents or willful partners. say for instance, you become pregnant. now, YOU may not have a problem aborting, but say your parents are insanely religious and will hear none of it. [ or if youre male, say your girlfriend gets pregnant, and although you and she both want an abortion, your parents and/or her parents freak out at the idea. ] they are still your parents, and you are still a child--you have no choice but to go along with them, unless you wish to compromise your cozy standpoint [ food, shelter, love ] with them.
of course i think thats the absolute WORST thing a parent could do to their child--force them to have a child that they do not want nor know the first thing about--but im not going to rule it out as a possibility.

Vanito also said quite a bunch that i agree with. its ignorant to suppose your child is completely in the green, simply because you did not see them do it with your own eyes. shit happens...but its what you DO with that shit that either grows a farm or breeds disease.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Scholar
Original Poster
#58 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LarsVegas
What do you mean when you say, "should they be treated as regular adults"? If this means they would be entitled to consume alcohol, drive an automobile, vote, and gamble, my answer would be a definitive no, as I do not believe giving birth automatically entitles someone to all adult privileges. These teen parents are simply children who have managed to get themselves into an adult situation. However, they should be held responsible for the well-being of the child, and if they are unable to provide, appropriate legal measures should be enforced.

Personally, I think it is a huge mistake, but I suppose it is a personal choice. Quite frankly, it pains me to see teenage parents because, in general, very few teenagers are able to handle the responsibilities of being a parent. Sure, some families are wealthy and can handle the fiscal aspects, but that does not change the fact that people under the age of 18 are still "children" in a sense. I cannot think of a single person (including myself) who has not changed significantly since their teenage years. I admit that I would not have been able to do it, but then again, I have never wanted children in the first place.

I honestly do not know what the hell kids are doing these days. When I was in school, it was a big deal if someone got pregnant at the age of 16, 17, or 18, but now I am hearing about 11-15 year olds getting into the same situation. Schools needs better sex education programs, but unfortunately, these situations are always going to happen somewhere.

mangaroo said I had to make it sort of like an argument. So I just said that. I guess, should they be allowed more freedom and less prejudice?

Yeah... there's twelve year olds on Maury knocked up.

Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
its ignorant to suppose your child is completely in the green, simply because you did not see them do it with your own eyes. shit happens...but its what you DO with that shit that either grows a farm or breeds disease.

I seriously want to see how many teens would keep doing the things they are now if they were watched 24/7 by their parents, like security cameras.
Test Subject
#59 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 3:42 AM
If you can financially and emotionally support the child, then have it. If you even THINK you MIGHT NOT be able to do it, don't have the kid. I hold this true to all age groups, not just teens.
Scholar
Original Poster
#60 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tanus
If you can financially and emotionally support the child, then have it. If you even THINK you MIGHT NOT be able to do it, don't have the kid. I hold this true to all age groups, not just teens.

Teens always say they can, "Oh, I'll just go to college with daycare." and "My parents will watch it." and "The dad (or mom) will help me raise it and marry me." Sadly, they just aren't prepared. They're so misled and then they all end up broken up (or in really shitty low-income relationships, for those few) and annoyed of the kid. I've seen teen parents; they are not ready both financially or emotionally. They bitch at the kids and hate their lives.

Some people are just never ready, so it's a good thing they don't have kids, and at least some people knew not to marry or have kids (like Neil).

Most teen parents can't even graduate from high school, and then I can't think of any who did graduate college.
Scholar
Original Poster
#61 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 4:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HaphazardSim
The day people stop reacting like it's the apocalypse every time someone mentions not wanting children is the day things will start to change, right now parents mention wanting grandchildren and some teens find this to be a great way to get instant recognition and attention.

That's the bad part. I don't know why parents encourage their own kids to breed; they already hated their kids and found it such a hassle to take care of them (come on, we've all been there) and then they tell you to have some more? Like I said before, kids look up to their parents, so they'll usually listen to and do what they want — especially in the less developed civilizations or societies. Then they go and say, "It's so unbelievable! Jana had her first at fifteen! We told her to be careful; there were a lot of examples out there..." No, you encouraged her to have a kid. Look in the mirror.

Quote:
I believe the focus should be on the girls because at the end of the day they are the ones who have to go through pregnancy and, if the father takes off, will be stuck with the child care no matter how minimal. This places the girls at a higher risk of dropping out than their male counterparts, and let’s face it, society is harsher toward women than men, a pregnant teen mother will face more prejudice and hate than a teen father.

I'm sure there are some cases, but I've never seen a teen father here. They usually dump their unwanted kid with the mom and take off, continuing the endless cycle. She gets stuck and they can abuse it because no one will date a teen girl with kid(s).
Alchemist
#62 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 9:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HaphazardSim
I believe the focus should be on the girls because at the end of the day they are the ones who have to go through pregnancy and, if the father takes off, will be stuck with the child care no matter how minimal. This places the girls at a higher risk of dropping out than their male counterparts, and let’s face it, society is harsher toward women than men, a pregnant teen mother will face more prejudice and hate than a teen father.

so very, very true. its like how in the abortion debate everyone whom was against abortion, was hating the female. where does the male happen in these equations? the sad truth is, nobody hates the male who runs around knocking up every girl he sees. the girls are the ones to be heavily blamed and insulted, when the boys are just as responsible for what happened.

Quote: Originally posted by 1ove
I'm sure there are some cases, but I've never seen a teen father here. They usually dump their unwanted kid with the mom and take off, continuing the endless cycle. She gets stuck and they can abuse it because no one will date a teen girl with kid(s).

likewise. its really sad to see, too, especially if the boy was one of those that said " oh yeah i'll be there, i'll help you with it " then decide after the baby is there, they cant handle it and jet off, without a worry or care in the world.

Scholar
Original Poster
#63 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 9:55 AM
likewise. its really sad to see, too, especially if the boy was one of those that said " oh yeah i'll be there, i'll help you with it " then decide after the baby is there, they cant handle it and jet off, without a worry or care in the world.

The whole thing is a sad situation. I've been to Wal-Mart or the mall on more than one occasion and seen some fifteen year old girl snapping at her two kids, "Emmaline! Get your hand out of my purse!" and cussing at them, the whole nine yards.

They've said that supposedly boys born to teenage moms are three times as likely to end up in jail, while girls or siblings of teenage mothers are "inspired" and think it's perfectly acceptable to pop at twelve as well. The cycle keeps going and going. Selena Gomez said she will be a virgin until marriage now, but many kids aren't smart enough for that decision, and so the cycle keeps going.
Alchemist
#64 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1ove
I've been to Wal-Mart or the mall on more than one occasion and seen some fifteen year old girl snapping at her two kids, "Emmaline! Get your hand out of my purse!" and cussing at them, the whole nine yards.

children raising children. madness, much?
like the blind leading the blind...how can you help someone grow up when you yourself are in the process of doing so? :/

Sim Princess in Pink
#65 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 10:30 AM
Its not the age that makes a bad parent, its the person themselves. So in theory I don't think teen parents should be looked down upon anymore then what say a 25 year old woman does.

I was 19 when I fell pregnant and had my daughter when I just turned 20. Many people thought I was too young, and I noticed a change in how some people looked at me which really bugged me. One example of how bad some people treat you is this; When I found out I was pregnant I went straight to the doctors to book an appointment to see a midwife for the first time. Before I knew it the receptionist asked me "Are you sure you don't want to get rid of it"!! I was disgusted, as this was obviously a dig at how young I was.

I am only 21 now, and my beautiful little girl is coming up one, and I couldn't ask for a more perfect life. I am still with her father and we are very much in love, although we have been discriminated against for being so young and settling down.

The only thing I have to say which may be a tad negative is I do feel sorry for underage pregnant girls as they have yet to live their lives and are about to miss some of the most important years of their lives by consuming all their time into a baby. Although I was only 20 when I had Keira, I still managed to go out with friends, party hard and have a overall great time for a few years. Now I couldn't be happier with the life I am leading, and we are probably going to have another child within the next five years .

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LouBarratt88
Its not the age that makes a bad parent, its the person themselves. So in theory I don't think teen parents should be looked down upon anymore then what say a 25 year old woman does.

I was 19 when I fell pregnant and had my daughter when I just turned 20. Many people thought I was too young, and I noticed a change in how some people looked at me which really bugged me. One example of how bad some people treat you is this; When I found out I was pregnant I went straight to the doctors to book an appointment to see a midwife for the first time. Before I knew it the receptionist asked me "Are you sure you don't want to get rid of it"!! I was disgusted, as this was obviously a dig at how young I was.

I am only 21 now, and my beautiful little girl is coming up one, and I couldn't ask for a more perfect life. I am still with her father and we are very much in love, although we have been discriminated against for being so young and settling down.

The only thing I have to say which may be a tad negative is I do feel sorry for underage pregnant girls as they have yet to live their lives and are about to miss some of the most important years of their lives by consuming all their time into a baby. Although I was only 20 when I had Keira, I still managed to go out with friends, party hard and have a overall great time for a few years. Now I couldn't be happier with the life I am leading, and we are probably going to have another child within the next five years .

I may be nitpicking but technically (legally) 19 is already an adult (in most countries, at least). Maybe you just looked really young for your age but the receptionist was uncalled for to ask you that. Kudos to you because you are one of the few that were mature in mind and prepared for the new life you were bringing into the world. The fact that daddy stayed around too is very romantic and makes me wish I could find someone as dedicated as him.

I don't frown on anyone who goes out and has fun while raising a child. Seriously, some people think that you're a bad mother if your baby isn't attached to your hip 24/7. Kids are stress. Full-stop. You need to have some fun or you'd go crazy. It's when the child is neglected or you drop the responsibility in someone else's lap (like it's grandparents) then I have a problem with it.

I wish you and your family all the best.
Sim Princess in Pink
#67 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 10:47 AM
I may be nitpicking but technically (legally) 19 is already an adult (in most countries, at least). Maybe you just looked really young for your age but the receptionist was uncalled for to ask you that. Kudos to you because you are one of the few that were mature in mind and prepared for the new life you were bringing into the world. The fact that daddy stayed around too is very romantic and makes me wish I could find someone as dedicated as him.

I don't frown on anyone who goes out and has fun while raising a child. Seriously, some people think that you're a bad mother if your baby isn't attached to your hip 24/7. Kids are stress. Full-stop. You need to have some fun or you'd go crazy. It's when the child is neglected or you drop the responsibility in someone else's lap (like it's grandparents) then I have a problem with it.

I wish you and your family all the best.

I thought 21 was classed as adult...maybe I am wrong. Thank you though . And yes, I agree it is hard work and it is a shock to go from going out almost every other night with friends to only going out once every 3 months. But I am happy with that, I love my daughter more then anyone or anything in the world.

Yeah I know people who do that with their children which really infuriates me, they pawn their child off so they can go out and get drunk all the time, spending child benefit on booze instead of what their child needs. Thats where immaturity comes with the being to young to have a baby.

Please, Call Me Lou :D
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LouBarratt88
I thought 21 was classed as adult...maybe I am wrong. Thank you though . And yes, I agree it is hard work and it is a shock to go from going out almost every other night with friends to only going out once every 3 months. But I am happy with that, I love my daughter more then anyone or anything in the world.

Yeah I know people who do that with their children which really infuriates me, they pawn their child off so they can go out and get drunk all the time, spending child benefit on booze instead of what their child needs. Thats where immaturity comes with the being to young to have a baby.

Yeah, 21 seems a more adult age but here, an eighteen year old is classified as an adult and can be kicked out of a parent's home and charged as an adult in court. Your daughter is lucky to have you and her father, most people here who have babies at your age are, as you said, dumping the kids in someone else's lap and using the baby money on personal items for themselves. I wish the government paid more attention where the money they paid out in assistance went. There'd be alot less fraud going on and the children would be taken from those irresponsible parents and given to families who would appreciate them.
Scholar
#69 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 1:06 PM Last edited by jhd1189 : 27th Aug 2009 at 7:36 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 2820644, 2820701
One of the problems here is teens resonsibility awareness or the lack of it. If a parents attitude is "I am the parent you do as I teach you" till they are 18, they are kept stupid like kids. They learn the parent will make desicions keep the "kid attitude" that responsibility and worries is a parents thing.

Kids dont always listen. As kids they learn that if they dont listen mom and dad will be pissed for a while and punish them if they find out. And no big consequences after that. If they continue to be treated like that as teens they will keep that same kid expectations and keep the same attitude.

Their biggest worry will be 'mom and dad will be pissed if they find out' the same way they were as kids. Thats what a "kid attitude" is and its all that a "kid attitude"-teen has learned in their life when they are old enough to sneak around to have unsafe sex or do stupid things. The responsibilities or consequences of things are still a parents issue to them, far away from them, not something they ever learned to think or decide about. Babies? They don't have learned to think for themselves about consequences. Cold hard reality hits upon them once the parent cannot learn them anymore but then its too late.

Teens are no kids. But treat them like kids and they will keep thinking like kids even when they make a mess. They never learned anything else or to learned make a proper desicion. It was always been a parents issue to worry and punish after their mistake.

At some point they will have to learn to think more like an adult, because they get opportunities where they can mess up like adults do. They need to learn adult-like insight to react like an adult. That means talking with them on a more equal level because they need to get insight in desicion making like an adult has. And communication instead of lecturing to them like an 8 year old. Teens behaviour is reactive to what parents learn them. Lecture them like a kid and they will keep the mind of a kid and act like a kid. Talk with them more and more like an adult and they will learn to think like more like an adult over time and learn to make desicions more the way adults do.

Self responsibility is a taught skill if they first time they get in touch with it when they are fucking and making babies its too late.

so very, very true. its like how in the abortion debate everyone whom was against abortion, was hating the female. where does the male happen in these equations? the sad truth is, nobody hates the male who runs around knocking up every girl he sees. the girls are the ones to be heavily blamed and insulted, when the boys are just as responsible for what happened.

If someone points their finger to the teen mom its shows very well how they view a teens reponsibility. Teens fault. No way that teens parents could have been lacking in education in the finger-pointing parent eyes. Impossible. So it must be the teens fault. Prefereably the teen mom. Finger pointing shows what kind of parent people are. And where parents view the responsibility of a teens education. 9 out of teen pregnancies in the USA could have been prevented. This forums reactions give a good hint at where the problem lies. Off course never with the parents. Thats completely impossible.

Scholar
Original Poster
#71 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian_Trooper
Yes I have to agree with you especially when it comes to the single groups. Every one has this idea in their head that you should be married to so so over there. They don't have any thing for singles for singles groups when it has to do with the church. It's all about singles and it's always about marriage. Actually it's about eating food all the time and single discussions about dating. I think people eat more then they date.

I was referring to Duggars and Quiverfull specifically (as you can see in my later responses, not sure if you read them). I'm clueless and not Christian; I have never even been to church.
Scholar
Original Poster
#73 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian_Trooper
This was more or less to you personally and I went on about a little more.

You edit your posts a whole lot. When I saw it, there were only two lines.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:54 AM
I hate teen parents.
I hate them.
I hate most parents.
I'm full of hate I know. :D

But these people...give their lives away before really living them....

Why not just commit suicide? Seriously.

Page 3 of 5