Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#51 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
For me 'normal' breakfast is buttered toast

And if I put a slice of cheese or ham on my buttered toast in the morning, that's "bizarre"? .......ooooookay.

Sorry to keep beating this horse but I just can't let myself be viewed as a weirdo haha
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#52 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by christx101
http://www.goveg.com/contamination_hormones.asp

Neerie wasn't saying hormones aren't added to meat, but that the pesticides etc in non-organic vegetables are just as bad as hormones in meat.
Forum Resident
#53 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lemoncandy
And if I put a slice of cheese or ham on my buttered toast in the morning, that's "bizarre"? .......ooooookay.

Sorry to keep beating this horse but I just can't let myself be viewed as a weirdo haha

missroxor wasn't saying that it is normal for everyone to have buttered toast for breakfast, just for her. Just like having a full breakfast with sausages, steak and ham might be normal for someone else, but isn't for a different person. 'Normal' is different for everyone, and varies dramatically between each culture and the individuals within those cultures. I become nauseous when I smell cooked meat in the mornings, so I choose not to eat it. A 'normal' breakfast for me is rice cakes with margarine and vegemite, or porridge with honey and soy milk. That's not to say that my father (or anyone else), who likes bacon and eggs for breakfast, is abnormal or bizarre.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Neerie
Humans are omnivores, and I don't plan to go any other way anytime soon
I love eating meat and fish, I love eating legumes, I love eating fruits and veggies, I love dairy products, and I love grains. I honnestly have no idea how I would be able to live without all the variety of food that is available to me. I love eating, I love cooking.

This is me right here, I eat everything (except products made with/containing pork) and enjoy it. My meal, except for breakfast, has to have a salad or veggie-based dish and some meat with it so on average I eat meat twice a day and I'm slim and perfectly healthy.

I have no intrest in being veggie but I'm not against veggies or vegans either unless they feel the need to lecture me about meat.

~~~ Give me a dream, a wayward symphony ~~~
Field Researcher
#55 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 3:28 AM
I love meat.
I can see how people are opposed to it quite easily, but I've tried to become a vegetarian a few times, but I'm frequently anemic, so I need the iron from steak and whatnot.

Plus, it's so yummy I can't resist.

potterhead
call me bria
Field Researcher
#56 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 5:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
As I said before, I never said I had plans to become a vegetarian or vegan, just that I can quite happily go without meat for ages as I like a lot of veggie food.

I also never said veggie food was boring (hence why I eat a lot of it), if you read it again you will see that I said I could never be a VEGAN because I find their diet boring (No offence to vegans, it's just not for me). I'm sorry you don't enjoy the food you eat, I do enjoy mine.

LemonCandy It just seems such a bizarre concept to me. As bizarre as someone saying they have a strawberry sundae for their main meal of the day The only sandwich I would ever have for breakfast is a bacon sandwich, maybe fried egg but since I'm trying to be healthier I probably wouldn't even do that now. I don't generally eat croissants for breakfast, I'm not French For me 'normal' breakfast is buttered toast and cup of tea or cereal with milk if I'm in a hurry. If I have more time like on a day off I have either scrambled egg on toast or Granola with mixed berries and yoghurt. Oh yeah, If I'm at my Mum's in Scotland then it's usually porridge with milk or a rather unhealthy fry-up inc black pudding of course

PS I hate anything smoked, only non-smoked bacon for me and I'm not keen on the fatty bits either, I grill them crispy :D

I never said I didn't it was simply sarcasm.
The other one
Original Poster
#57 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 12:08 PM Last edited by missroxor : 31st Oct 2009 at 8:28 PM. Reason: word repetition
Quote: Originally posted by lemoncandy

Thanks Tenielle

LemonCandy I didn't mean to get your back up and I certainly didn't mean to have you forever branded as a weirdo

I only ment to point out the recurring theme, as I said in my first post to you, you're the second person to mention having sandwiches for brekkie. Maybe our meanings are getting lost in translation though? I wouldn't put ham on toast for breakfast (or any meal really) but if I were to throw some cheddar on top of my toast I would call it 'toast 'n' cheese'. If there is a second slice of toast on top then it becomes a 'toastie'. I guess Americans probably call it a toasted sandwich? ...Still though, unless I'm in some really bizarre situation where my day gets all mixed up and my meal times are out of whack I wouldn't have a non-toasted, run of the mill sandwich for breakfast, it would just be odd to me.

ChristX
Thanks for clearing that up for me,...for a minute there I thought I'd converted you to meat so you too could enjoy eating!

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Field Researcher
#58 Old 31st Oct 2009 at 7:34 PM
I'm omnivorous. I don't tend to eat a lot of meat just because I'm a picky eater. I could never go fully vegetarian because I love sushi way too much, but I could probably manage pescetarian.

I used to want to go full on vegan due to the animal cruelty thing...but unfortunately, animals being killed and eaten is how it's always been. Humans are just another animal. Cheetahs eat gazelles and zebras, fish eat bugs, snakes eat mice, etc. If the animals can be killed safely and humanely, I don't have a problem with it. (Which I know isn't always the case right now.)

I made it my own personal goal to drastically cut down the amount of meat I consume and have done a pretty good job with it. I only eat meat for 2-3 meals a weak now.

Cait

"If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is ‘God is crying’. And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is ‘Probably because of something you did’."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 1st Nov 2009 at 5:41 PM
I eat everything that tastes good.

I was a vegetarian for a few months because I don't eat loads of meat, just once a week or so. I then decided just to stick to my regular diet of everything in moderation. My favorite pizza is vegetarian but I just hate meat on pizza.

Weight/nutrition has never been a problem for me; I just eat when I'm hungry. I also buy vegetables and fruit because fiancé likes to make smoothies.

I'm indifferently curious.
8/2010
9/2011
Instructor
#60 Old 1st Nov 2009 at 7:02 PM
Yeah, I've been a vegetarian for just over a year now
anyway, I have many reasons.
I don't want animals killed for me, and people making profit of killing animals I find it disturbing. I don't think humans are superior to other animals, so...

edit: and just so you know, I do hate PETA

“When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?”-Marilyn Manson
Forum Resident
#61 Old 1st Nov 2009 at 8:50 PM
For the individual who asked how to become vegetarian one step at a time, this is how I changed my diet:

The first step for me was to simply quit eating hamburgers. (The mad cow disease really bothered my daughter. She asked me nicely and sincerely to just avoid hamburger.) Giving up hamburger isn't so difficult when you can still have steak. It is mostly a routine that you change. You might eat less fast food or you might just change what you order, but it was a combination of the two for me.

The second step was giving up all red meats. Lean meats are just healthier, unless you're anemic; so with fish and fowl still available, I took the next step. That step was easy for me since I didn't really eat a lot of red meat.

Then I was at a health fair and one booth presented information about how some people were eating too much chicken. People were actually developing allergies as a result of the high levels of their intake. It made me reevaluate my choices. To rely on one main alternative isn't a healthy choice. It seemed to me that chicken was the new red meat substitute. So, the new New Year's resolution was to give up the chicken and turkey "white" meats.

I continued to eat seafood until I found flax seed oil. Now that I can get Omega 3s without the fish, I am completely vegetarian. While I am very happy with where I am, I still am striving to be more vegan.

Somewhere along the way, I quit drinking milk. I used soy milk as a substitute for awhile, but I feel the same about soy as I do about chicken. It seems to be the main alternative, so I choose almond or rice milk instead on the rare occasions when I use milk at all.

For me, this is the year to give up unhealthy cheese. That too is the vegetarian alternative at many fast food places. We all know it is fatty and not good for us to eat too much of it. It is one source of calcium though. I choose goat and sheep sources over cow milk for cheeses right now as they have less casein.

Diary products cause a mucus build-up, at least for me. The difference that cutting out diary made was overwhelming. If I have a diary product one day, the next day, I have excess mucus as a hangover.

I am very conscious of how foods I eat affect me. I actually lose my vision if I have MSG. Eating even the egg white will give me a headache.

We are all different. We make the choices that seem right for us at the time, or not. (Meaning, that there are times when we might indulge in fast food, junk food, a really sweet dessert, an extra helping, etc. and we enjoy it, though we may pay for it later.)
Inventor
#62 Old 2nd Nov 2009 at 12:02 AM
I've been vegetarian for nearly 16 years, since the age of 9. My reasons are fairly complex - I've tried to explain them here many times before. I have no problem at all with the concept of humans eating meat, or even with us rearing animals for slaughter. BUT, I believe that if we do that then we must do that with the animals' best welfare at heart, which is something that simply cannot occur in a large commercial situation. Most animals are well treated, but welfare breakdown can be absolutely horrendous when it does occur.

I would never eat meat again in any case because I could never stand the taste or the texture and even now I find the smell of cooking meat quite nauseating, but I would have no problem at all with the idea of raising my own animals and slaughtering myself or having them slaughtered in front of me. That way I would know that they had lived with a very high standard of welfare and died quickly with no fear and no pain.

So, I guess I don't see eating meat as right or wrong as such. If you eat meat, you've every right to do that and I'm not going to say anything against that. I'm not going to call you a murderer, or throw red paint at you. But I think a lot of people just buy the packet of meat off the supermarket shelf with an 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality, and it is that I think that is wrong. I think that people ought to have some basic understanding and respect for where their food comes from. Also to realise that even if they feel the life given was greatly inferior to their own, that a life was given for them to have that steak, or roast chicken, or burger.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Instructor
#63 Old 2nd Nov 2009 at 9:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ciane
For me, this is the year to give up unhealthy cheese. That too is the vegetarian alternative at many fast food places. We all know it is fatty and not good for us to eat too much of it. It is one source of calcium though.

Have you tried poppy seeds? It's an excellent source of calcium if you want to avoid eating cheese.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 2nd Nov 2009 at 3:43 PM
i am just a picky eater. There are times when I can eat meat and times where I really don't like it. Now that I am pregnant the smell of meat cooking makes me sick to my stomach but since my iron is low I have to eat just a little every day. As for milk I hate the taste of it. Same goes for eggs. My mom loves fried eggs but when she was pregnant with me couldn't eat any for nine months. To this day I hate eggs.
Top Secret Researcher
#65 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Oprah
Have you tried poppy seeds? It's an excellent source of calcium if you want to avoid eating cheese.

And an excellent source of opiates if you avoid taking heroin!

It's true, I saw it on mythbusters!
Forum Resident
#66 Old 3rd Nov 2009 at 9:16 PM
Default poppy seeds
I've only had it added to other foods like bread or chips, but thanks for the tip on poppy seeds. I find a lot of added calcium and omega3s in other foods. It's the B vitamins that I need to supplement mostly.
Test Subject
#67 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 1:05 PM
poppy seeds? yeah i saw that too on Mythbusters xD

well I pretty much eat everything that's i can cook up :3

Hello :]

I'm a 3D modeler. I've joined to play some custom Sims, to gather some inspiration and maybe, and i mean, maybe use parts of the sims models in my own creations, credits will be given fully.

I'm Vamp-Kun on DeviantART
Alchemist
#68 Old 4th Nov 2009 at 10:20 PM
i used to eat stuff like Hungry Man dinners and the burritos [ frozen ] i mentioned earlier, but then they

" IMPROVED " it...

after which, it tastes/tasted like SHIT.
so i stopped buying it ._.

has anyone noticed that its whenever someone thinks they can improve an already sufficient/enjoyable food product that it ends up failing?

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Test Subject
#69 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
i used to eat stuff like Hungry Man dinners and the burritos [ frozen ] i mentioned earlier, but then they

" IMPROVED " it...

after which, it tastes/tasted like SHIT.
so i stopped buying it ._.

has anyone noticed that its whenever someone thinks they can improve an already sufficient/enjoyable food product that it ends up failing?

all the time, sadly ._.

I'm a 3D modeler. I've joined to play some custom Sims, to gather some inspiration and maybe, and i mean, maybe use parts of the sims models in my own creations, credits will be given fully.

Instructor
#70 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia

Agreed. If you want to scare me, just write "New", "Improved" or "Now more (whatever)" on some of my favorite products. Lately, I've stopped eating my favorite sandwiches after they "improved" it. It used to be a slice of turkey, cherry tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, honey and dijon mustard dressing and wholegrain bread with walnuts. After the "improvement", the cherry tomatoes were replaced by classic tomatoes which I don't like, the walnut bread was replaced by boring white bread, the original dressing was replaced by mayonnaise and, as a "bonus", they added bacon and roasted slices of onion. What once was light and delicious food turned into a smelly, greasy monster with cheap ingredients, I certainly wouldn't call that an improvement
Inventor
#71 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 2:17 PM
Meat lover. I could never be a vegetarian because I don't like that many vegetables and I don't see the need. I see sheep as animals. They are cute. But I don't mind that fact that soon I might be eating that animal. I don't really think about it because it doesn't really matter to me. Its food once it is on my plate and I'm not blinded to the fact that it came from something living.
I've had a ostrich burger once. Tasty. Game pie. Lovely.
At the same time, my good friend is a vegetarian. I respect her decision and I see why she does it. Not everyone has the same views. I'm not going to force feed her meat and she isn't going to make me feel bad for eating it.
I'm a 14 year old teenage girl. I'm not a crazy murderer. I just like 'the old ways'. Meat is meat. My views aren't even that strong. I just really love bacon.
(Please note that I actually love fruit and potatoes, some vegetables too. I don't just have bacon for breakfast, lunch and dinner. )
However (I just remembered so I had to edit) I don't eat beef including gelatin which is unusual for someone my age (all my friends are always stuffing their faces with haribo). My sister is trying to find some vegetarian marshmallows if anyone has heard of them please let me know.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
Test Subject
#72 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 3:43 PM
Sheep? I used to be a Shepperd, (however that silly sounds ) and i really cared for my sheep before getting 'em for feast. good cared sheep is a delicious sheep. (for all meat-ies )

Lab Assistant
#73 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HereToRipStuff
good cared sheep is a delicious sheep. (for all meat-ies )

I've heard the same is true for bunnies.

I've never eaten rabbit but I know a few people who have; they raise them outside, on their farm and it helps with over population.

My signature has nothing to do with eating rabbit, haha, it's from rayman raving rabbids.

I'm indifferently curious.
8/2010
9/2011
Test Subject
#74 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Picos
I've heard the same is true for bunnies.

I've never eaten rabbit but I know a few people who have; they raise them outside, on their farm and it helps with over population.

My signature has nothing to do with eating rabbit, haha, it's from rayman raving rabbids.

Your signature is funny ^^

well.. i have eaten a wild hare, and I must say, it is a feast worthy of a king.

now.. i don't know if you're all gettin' a watering mouth or not

Forum Resident
#75 Old 6th Nov 2009 at 2:27 AM
Wehn my mother was younger, she used to trap or shoot rabbits. She got a hare once, as well. She would then skin then and otherwise prepare them, and my grandmother would cook rabbit stew.
Although I know many people wouldn't have an issue wioth the killing of the rabbit, and then eating it, I just can't come to terms with it, myself.

Page 3 of 27