Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 28th Nov 2009 at 7:27 PM
Ah, good to see the patch didn't write waterfalls out of the game completely ^^.
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 1:28 PM
Mootilda, thanks for that, I already knew about that method but didn't think to try it. I likes me waterfalls
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#28 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 1:32 PM
What is that about the roofs cutting/not cutting walls? What did it mean? My roofs seem to be acting exactly the same as they always did.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Site Helper
#29 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 7:24 PM
Not sure about TS3, but I've been making attics in TS2 recently and I have found that some roofs which intersect regular walls will make the space next to the wall unusable. I assume that they've managed to fix that for TS3. This problem only occurs when you have regular walls and roofs on the same level; I can provide a (TS2) picture if you'd like.
#30 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 7:49 PM
Oh I see. I thought for a moment they meant no more roofs edges sticking into the next room Now that would be a worthwhile fix!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Site Helper
#31 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 7:58 PM
So, do roof edges still stick out into the next room in TS3? You'd think that they'd have fixed that by now.
#32 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 8:02 PM
Yup!

(added verbiage to make message long enough)

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#33 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Not sure about TS3, but I've been making attics in TS2 recently and I have found that some roofs which intersect regular walls will make the space next to the wall unusable. I assume that they've managed to fix that for TS3. This problem only occurs when you have regular walls and roofs on the same level; I can provide a (TS2) picture if you'd like.
No, they haven't managed to fix it – problem is still the same in TS3.

But I found that gabled roof walls seem to be most problematic in that regard (both in TS2 and TS3) – one can often work around the issue by using a different type of roof for the same-level roof whcih will not block those tiles (but that's not always an acceptable solution of course, in terms of aesthetics/style ..).

In this house for example, I originally had a gabled roof above the two windows on the right, and the double bed on the top floor was unuseable (only the right side could be reached, because the roof wall of the gabled roof blocked access to the tiles on the left side of the bed). In the version I posted, with the half-hipped roof, sims can access the bed fine.

(This is this house http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=369966 in case it's not clear from the two pics what's where)

Other than that, I'm also still looking for the mysterious roof fix promised in the patch description .. I only installed the 1.7.11 patch recently (it was delayed for OS X), but I haven't yet managed to find a difference with my roofs.

ETA: another thing that is new since the patch – and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere (but I'm not looking very closely at WA threads) – is the menu you get when changing the lot type:

This includes an option for "No Visitors Allowed", has anyone tried that? One could probably do interesting things with it .. also, has anyone tested how this works together with the "normal" lot type selection, by content? For example, if you make a graveyard comm lot using this menu and then add bookcases, will it be both a graveyard and a library?
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
#34 Old 29th Nov 2009 at 9:34 PM
plasticbox, I noticed that menu when trying to place one of my lots. It was actually hard to place it as it was both a pool and a fishing hole. I can't remember which I chose to finally get it to place.

It's a great idea but when the lot serves two purposes, it's a pain
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 11:36 AM
I just came back from a trip and diving back into the game I noticed something about the stairs and their new supposed "stackability" : i did manage to put 2 flights of stairs one above the other, but for some reason the one that is the most below wouldn't work right after a while (the sim never climbed it to the top, she kept going back down, like with the old problem we had with stacking stairs), so i had to move it one square over and now it works…
I'm not entirely sure this isn't a weird bug, because the upper stairs worked perfectly fine before and I could swear the bottom one used to work also…(I had a one week hiatus, so I don't remember, but my sim was saved downstairs, so she must have climbed down fine anyway).

I'll test more anyway. Are your stacked staircases working fine ?

I'm still clueless about the roof fix too
I did notice there are only 3 settings for the roof-curve slider…
Field Researcher
#36 Old 5th Dec 2009 at 2:14 AM
I have seen the stairs problem in my game too. They kind of get stuck in a loop in the stairs. Only if you move them (the sim) by force for example with teleport cheat, will they get out of it.
And, I have tried out some of the lot category options. You can for example change a City Hall lot to a library, you get a message that "certain objects will be removed", BUT that doesnt happen. Lot is then both City Hall and library. Very good.
Also interesting that it looks like they are planning different categories for residence lots. Apartments, maybe?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#37 Old 5th Dec 2009 at 9:40 AM
I've sometimes had unuseable stairs pre-patch too (stairs that *should have* worked and weren't blocked), that became suddenly useable after deleting and rebuilding the stairs. The game seems to become "level confused" quite easily .. it doesn't always figure out correctly what's on which level, particularly with stairs and stair railings. So if you have a puzzling stair problem, try nuking and rebuilding the stairs, it might help.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Field Researcher
#38 Old 6th Dec 2009 at 10:18 AM
Okay, so I have tested this on multiple games and have had friends test it, and it APPEARS that EAxis have FIXED floating Ceilings! I don't know if anyone knew this or not, but I could not be happier.. I don't play the game, but it drove me insane because I knew it was there. Now, its not and I can sleep easy

I didn't see you there. Hello. *runs* | Visit my CFF World thread
Mad Poster
#39 Old 6th Dec 2009 at 4:47 PM
Hmm, have been testing for bad cc so I haven't tried any type of build that would bring the floating ceilings. Will try tonight and if corrected, I can finally smile.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 6th Dec 2009 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomvanroosmalen
it APPEARS that EAxis have FIXED floating Ceilings!

I can confirm (in MY game at least), that YES the floating cielings are fixed.

ClicknPsycho
Site Helper
#41 Old 8th Dec 2009 at 12:17 AM
With the floating ceiling problem fixed and the create-a-world tool on its way, I may actually consider giving TS3 another try.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 8th Dec 2009 at 11:55 PM
well I hope it you like better this time round
Scholar
#43 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 2:09 AM
Mootilda, it's much better now with WA. I was sorely disappointed with the base game, but as we know, each EP adds a bit more to the game. I think I might get another couple of weeks out of this EP
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 1:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
Mootilda, it's much better now with WA. I was sorely disappointed with the base game, but as we know, each EP adds a bit more to the game. I think I might get another couple of weeks out of this EP

although it's replay-ability seems to be unlikely
Scholar
#45 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by the_alien_among_us
although it's replay-ability seems to be unlikely

Why? Is this because of the reset thing? It resets if you save it as a different game. I did that and it worked. I had used a sim I don't play to test it out, in France. When I used my own sim, the stuff in France had been untouched.

I don't know if I could be bothered to play all of that over again anyway. Once you've done it, it would be too easy next time
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
I don't know if I could be bothered to play all of that over again anyway. Once you've done it, it would be too easy next time

that's what I meant. sorry for the confusion.
Scholar
#47 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by the_alien_among_us
that's what I meant. sorry for the confusion.

I got my sims holiday homes in all the worlds so that's what it will be used for in the end, just a place for them to go on holiday, like Bon Voyage. I did a mod to let them buy holiday homes at level one visa and put it up here too but I'm still waiting to see if it gets accepted.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#48 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 12:12 PM
This is getting slightly off topic – please have in mind that this is the Build Mode forum. For discussion of other WA features, like visa and whatever, can I ask you to please use the discussion forums? Thank you.

Lab Assistant
#49 Old 13th Dec 2009 at 8:09 AM
Since I helped i get off topic here is me helping it back on topic.

There is a tutorial at TSR by Gosik that exploits the bug\'feature' of pools being viewed as the same level as the post-patch basements, Gosik has joined the pool and the basement up.

http://www.thesimsresource.com/tuto...ements Tutorial

Side note, any more confirmations on the fix for floating Ceilings (I haven't played for a few days and most likely won't play till after Christmas).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 12:22 PM
Ooh, that's kind of nifty. I wonder what would happen if you put a door in there, instead of a window… sims walking underwater ? I have to try that :D

No news about the floating ceiling, no. Me, I was too busy with salvaging my games from the latest patch -___-.

Speaking of which, it says it corrects the sims walking on pool water (like mine does), but my naked priestess is still doing that even after the patch… Go figure. Anyways.
Page 2 of 3