Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

DIY Tropical Paradise- My CAW files for your customizing!

by bakafox Posted 29th Jan 2010 at 2:08 PM - Updated 7th Jul 2012 at 10:54 PM by bakafox : Alternative link for people who can't multi-archive.

70 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 63 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Retired
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 3:25 PM
Good to see this baka!

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 3:24 PM
Awesome Baka! This is a great idea for the lazy of us. :D
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 5:26 PM
Awesome Baka! Cant wait for the actual neighbourhood of this, as I cant use CAW !

(())Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that has
//\\survived, died, or is living with cancer.
Test Subject
#5 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 7:33 PM
This is wonderful! Truly amazing. Which saw the most beautiful surroundings. Did you make neighbourhood of this map? I did'nt have such skills (sorry for my English ^^')
Instructor
#6 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 7:58 PM
wow this is great it "almost" makes me wanna update to 2.3.3 to get this lol

about the only thing i do different is make the roads dirt an the spawners of course

The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision. - L. Lavner
Test Subject
#7 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 8:11 PM
Thank you! I suck at creating terrain maps, so this is just what I need.

Suicide hotline... please hold.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 8:13 PM
o this is gREAt for playing around with CAW! thanks, and fyi i have been playing your neighborhood i haven't found any problems so far. i haven't been playing long though but i sure does look amazing.
Banned
#9 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 8:29 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 30th Jan 2010 at 6:29 AM.
I hope you dont mind but I thought I'd show off the potential anyone has when using a prebuilt like this. :D

[Moderator Edit: Large number of large pictures removed – no advertising in other people's threads please]

A majority of those are prebuilt homes. A prebuilt terrain is a godsend!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 9:58 PM
This is fantastic, thank you so much, might give me some ideas. More more more.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 10:43 PM
What a good idea!!! It does take AGES to make a world. I've been at it for goodness knows how many hours in total and I'm a long way from finishing. I think lots of people will find this really useful!!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 11:07 PM
Thanks all for the kind words!

Yes, there WILL be a full neighborhood by me using this map eventually =) I'm hoping to get it done by next weekend, but I'm back in university with a heavy workload so it could take a bit longer. Sadly the full neighborhood is WA-based, because I really really love using some WA aspects like tomb spawners and triggers.

I may do base-game version at a MUCH later date, but I'm actually working on three neighborhoods currently, this island, a sci-fi map that's fairly far along, and a steampunk/gaslight 'fanfic' neighborhood that's still very in planning stages, and if possible want to get them all basically done before I go back and do base game versions of them to match.

Inge and joninmobile really do get a lot of the credit for bringing this kind of thing up =) I probably wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

And I'm glad you're having so much fun with it Claeric =) Also I somewhat am jealous because I couldn't make bridges work for that spot at ALL thus resorting to the dyke-road. LOL

(For the curious, I think I've got about 250 hours into the neighborhood for this map so far. The CAW files I packed up and stripped down for the kit was around the 220 hour mark. I think I may be a tad obsessive.)
Field Researcher
#13 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 11:11 PM
Ok, maybe I'm just horribly, horribly retarded, but I cannot get these files to un-RAR and install. Whenever I try to do so, I get a little message that says the next part of the RARs is required - ie, when I unRAR part one, I get a little message pop-up that says "part two is required". This strikes me as ridiculously silly, because I downloaded all the RARs to the same place (my desktop) and when I try to point to the next RAR, it's already pointed to it.

I hope I've not made an utter dog's job of explaining this. I really want to play with this world - the screen shots are absolutely gorgeous. I especially like the little banana plantation in the middle!

is it can be sims tiem now plees?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 11:15 PM
Fiona: You aren't the first to have such a problem with a multi-rar I have uploaded. I'm completely LOST as to why some folks have the issue and others do not, but for people with your problem, I have it as one-file at my www.bakasims.com site. I'll just go ahead and stick that link into the main text/overview while I try and fix the issue with the multi-archives.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bakafox
Fiona: You aren't the first to have such a problem with a multi-rar I have uploaded. I'm completely LOST as to why some folks have the issue and others do not, but for people with your problem, I have it as one-file at my www.bakasims.com site. I'll just go ahead and stick that link into the main text/overview while I try and fix the issue with the multi-archives.

My guy actually figured out how to fix it. It's really fast and really simple - just rename three of the four files! Keep the first rar .part1, but rename .part2 to ".r00", .part3 to ".r01" and .part4 to ".r02" (Only without the quotation marks.) It still asked me to locate the next part after it finished unRARing the first bit, but that's pretty easy to do.

is it can be sims tiem now plees?
Banned
#16 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 12:15 AM
Bridges are a total bitch to get work, it took me quite a while, and even then I forgot to test until far after finishing building. But they work :D
Test Subject
#17 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 4:14 AM
It tells me that the .world file is broken
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 6:18 AM
Shea: what patch are you at and do you have WA? (wondering if this is the dreaded 'needs WA' thing)
Forum Resident
#19 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 1:09 PM
I can't load this. I just get a message saying cannot load world file.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 3:53 PM
I love this! It helps me with the part I find hardest in CAW, the landscape.

I have one question though. It looks like you made a custom road for this hood. I have a dirt road default replacement that shows in all of my CAW worlds, but not yours. See attached pics.

Is there an easy way to change the road texture in CAW?
Test Subject
#21 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 8:50 PM
wow thank so much for this! This was just what I was looking for. I plan to have a lot of fun with this
Field Researcher
#22 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 9:53 PM
Awesome, added to my "Greatest Finds" on the Rejected Wiki!

Grab some goodies on The Rejected

The Rejected is a shared blog and all are welcomed to join. Now you can also follow us @RejectedSims on Twitter.

I'm currently participating in the Builder's Boulevard first neighborhood project: Sanshi Suimei Please join us!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 4:10 AM
Are the people who are getting the error messages about unable to open world file running on older patch or without WA? I had hoped/thought CAW could open without WA but didn't actually test it due to being clueless about how to without uninstalling WA outright =/
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 4:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jmtmom

Is there an easy way to change the road texture in CAW?

Only if you use new road layers and make the custom roads like I did. You can't change the base game road, but all you do to change any custom roads is plug in a different texture file's location into the various fields for them, though you have to keep the normal maps as they are. You can even make your own greyscale png to use as opacity map for sidewalks to make more transparent or even invisible ones, but I haven't figured out yet how to make good rutted roads for the streets themselves by tweaking the alpha =(

So to change what I have (which was basically the grey EA flagstone but I tweaked contrast) just click on the road layer, hit the edit button, and then plug in whatever textures you want to experiment with.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 4:46 AM
Thanks!!! I have been having SO much trouble with this programme!
Page 1 of 3