Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Faylen
This is exactly the version I'm using _ I'm not getting why you don't have it in your dropdown. If you're recoloring this way, you should be able to save, since you haven't added a layer, though. Otherwise, try Shift-Ctrl-S, which is the manual Save As. The problem, as I said on the post before, is that when you add a layer (on purpose or by selecting areas to include/exclude) Photo Shop adds that "copy" to the end of your filename, which makes it do nothing to your skin.

Thanks Faylen for the reply......after hearing you were also using V8.0, I went back in and discovered my error..........in the tutorial, it never tells us to click on OK in the Hue/Saturation.......so it closes.......and if you do not close it, all of your other options are greyed out.......... After I clicked OK on it, I was able to continue to follow your very fine tutorial.

Thanks again
tug

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.......if you are reading it in English, thank a Veteran
Download the InSIMenator at http://www.insimenator.net
Advertisement
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#27 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 7:38 PM
Aha! I never think about "OK", it seemed intuitive to me, but if it'll help, I'll add it in.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Test Subject
#28 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:06 AM
Thank you so much for this! I really wanted to try to recolor something but didn't have a clue how to start.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 21st Apr 2005 at 4:08 AM
ok, but then how do you do it for the stupid genetics and crap lol
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 21st Apr 2005 at 11:10 AM
great tutorial...thanks a lot!
retired moderator
#31 Old 21st Apr 2005 at 1:17 PM
With genetics, it's really the same thing. You can use the clothing tutorials in exactly the same way, just you have more files to edit if you want to make skins or hair inheritable. Eye color is inheritable, dominant if the child is the same sex as the parent with the custom color, and hair recolors can be passed on if you recolor all ages in each style. Facial hair can be recolored the same way, and you can edit the alpha and make changes on just about anything that lies flush on the face.

Test Subject
#32 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 7:04 PM
Wow, im so excited, i can actually make my own stuff now!

Lemme get this straight, now i've mastered the re-colour, i have another query. Say i wanted to .. change the pattern on the bottom of the dress. Woul it work the same way? I.E i delete the pattern around the bottom in Photoshop, and replace it with whatever i want, will it change the design? So i can do stuff like get plain t-shirts in the sims, and put pictures and stuff on them?
#33 Old 24th Apr 2005 at 9:34 PM
Great guide for beginners like myself! One thing, I've got the hang of recolouring, now I'm trying to add text, and pictures to clothes, but the results come out as little black dots everywhere, I've got a feeling I'm not using the right sort of programme for this (I'm still using photoshop btw), do I need to use something different?
#34 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 1:37 AM
Ummm.....Does anyone know where to get photoshop cause I don't have it and everyone is talking about so much. Any help please? P.S. What does PE mean (or something like)? Someone said that its a program for tweaking memories, family tree etc.
#35 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 10:14 PM
Hi! I can't wait to start recolouring my stuff! I just have a couple questions. When you recolour something, do you lose the old colour you started with or do you you end up with say, the original dress and the recoloured one still in the game?
Also, I downloaded the free 30 day trial version of Adobe Photoshop (at http://www.download.com). When the trial period is up can you just go and download it again? (I know you're supposed to buy it but I'm on disability pension)
retired moderator
#36 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 1:24 AM
Lotta questions! whew! OK, If you go on to the second tutorial, selective recoloring, it'll show you how to recolor selected parts of your outfit. If you want to do something like put a picture or other image on an outfit, you need to have the image you want to copy as a jpeg, then copy and paste it onto your outfit. Depending on the image, you may need to select the image with a lasso tool and apply a mask that reveals the image only. With photoshop, you can do this easily by creating another layer so you can fool around with the image without messing up the clothes. Ask to Leave, your problem is very likely a difference between the size of the image you're trying to paste in and the size of the clothing image. I'd have to see a screenshot to be absolutely sure, but I would wager that you need to transform the scale on your image to fit the clothing. Sims2lover, photoshop is a commercial program that you need to purchase. It's about $600 new on amazon and in retail outlets, but I've seen it for less for older versions on ebay. Misty76, when you "save as" for these outfits, you're creating something brandy-new. You don't overwrite the original, so you have nothing to worry about with any other clothing you have in body shop or the game. I hope this answers everyone. . .

Lab Assistant
#37 Old 2nd May 2005 at 7:38 AM
WOW! Now i can make my own clothes. YAY. Thx so much!
Test Subject
#38 Old 5th May 2005 at 2:40 AM
Thank you very much! It's much easier than I thought it would be. :yippee:
#39 Old 7th May 2005 at 8:49 PM
My computer won't load the texture file :confused:
retired moderator
#40 Old 8th May 2005 at 7:24 PM
Do you mean the texture you want to apply (which you need to save as a jpeg) or the texture.bmp from the project folder?

Test Subject
#41 Old 9th May 2005 at 12:10 AM
I don't have photoshop so I tried using Picasa2 for the recoloring. Everything goes well untill I try to import it. Do you know what might be wrong?
retired moderator
#42 Old 11th May 2005 at 9:06 PM
I don't know about Picasa, but the problem I've seen in photoshop that causes this most often is if the files are saved as anything but .bmp, or if the program has created a copy, and the files are saved as copy.bmp. Go back into your projects folder and make sure you don't have any copies, or any files in different formats.

Instructor
#43 Old 18th May 2005 at 3:25 AM
I am having a problem with Bodyshop itself, I think. I can export the clothing and successfully recolor but it shows up as flat black in Bodyshop. I can't find any "refresh preview" button. And If I go ahead and import the item into the game it is still black. The name of the file did not get changed in any way and I can view it in windows and it looks like it is supposed to. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Oh, I do use PaintShopPro V.7 rather than Photoshop but made lots of stuff for TS1 without problems.
retired moderator
#44 Old 20th May 2005 at 3:09 PM
The refresh preview button is a little circular arrow that appears in the lower left corner of the box to the right of the mannequin. And another problem you might be having is not saving the files as BMP format files.

Lab Assistant
#45 Old 20th May 2005 at 6:28 PM
Default hello Faylen
I'm having a problem. I hope you can help me. I love skinning, but I don't understand the pj's,undies ,Ya clothes.
I see each time 2 alpha maps, 2 bitmaps. Wich one do I recolor? Or retextures to become new ones. Thanks
retired moderator
#46 Old 22nd May 2005 at 12:47 AM
The young adults all seem to be doubled up. They're identical, so if you want to, recolor one, and save as that file, and the other as well.

#47 Old 23rd May 2005 at 3:28 AM
Thank you so much for this tutorial! I've been wondering how to change the colors of outfits for ages! And now I'll finally be able to do it
Test Subject
#48 Old 24th May 2005 at 3:19 PM
Well...
Well thank you very much for this tutorial but there is one problem with this at my home. We don't have photoshop! Did you diwnload it or did you buy it or what does it cost, is it in my computer or what?! I don't know enything:S
Field Researcher
#49 Old 28th May 2005 at 12:29 AM
its just my luck to get it wrong im using photoplus 7
is it ok to use its looks almost the same as photoshop but slightly different look
what happened was when i saved the file after recolouring it i saved (just as the file says basetexturename) but it didnt overwrite it so i tried to delete the old file but still would not show up in bs
Field Researcher
#50 Old 28th May 2005 at 12:51 AM
i had another try at this and this is what happened the modified colour file overwritten the original file this time like you mentioned to do
but when i refreshed my bs this time instead of the (cutom content could not be loaded) it actually looked as though it did load this time but the colour hasnt changed
what the hell is going on lol
its so frustrating when i fail at something as simple as this
Page 2 of 12