Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 7:50 PM
After reading the posts on this thread, I will admit that people tend to take it lighter when it's a black person insulting a white than the other way around. In my opinion it doesn't make much of a difference. I know blacks have been treated like crap in the past, so have Native Americans, and Asians, and pretty much every race. Insults, intolerance, assault, anything that involves beating down someone because of their skin color shouldn't be accepted. Neither should one race be held higher than another because of the past. If you want to focus on America's history, a lot of the people who were sent to America from England were considered criminals, and pretty much anyone that wasn't approved of by society. They continued the cycle and it's likely to come full circle all over again. As long as people have something against another race and take it out on the race as a whole, without provocation, no one of any race is justified.

Before anyone asks if I'm white or not, half of my heritage is unknown. The half I do know is mostly from Europe and Norway, but from the other side I have Native American features. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't an absolute race that I am a part of because it's a mix. That's how a lot of America is any more. So if you want to go by inheritance, we all share the same history which makes racism, discrimination, prejudice even more idiotic. But then that's just my opinion.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 10:18 PM
"Treated like crap" is a pretty tame description for slavery, genocide, and torture. Sometimes I think the only reason the US woke up from that sort of casual evil is that Jews were too White for anyone to pretend they were brown (or yellow, or red, or slavs, or whatever.) Then sometimes I start listening to the anti-immigration crowd and some of the Tea Party folks, and I realize that our politics has gotten a little more sophisticated thanks to liberalism - but not much.

It wasn't that far before WWII that people were in the White House chatting seriously about Teutonic ideals and Aryan Destiny. Trying to minimize that to paint what other people do today as equal just seems a bit improper.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 4:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by urisStar
This is a subject that gets emotionally charge and most people, depending on their skin color, only retreat to their defensive mode and therefore only hear what they want to hear, and so, their responses is mostly always coincides with their skin color.

People's responses don't mostly always coincide with their skin colour.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 7:03 AM
Mistermook: Yeah, I was trying not to swear, but you at least get the gist of what I was talking about when I said they were treated like crap.

I'd be glad that there is some progress, otherwise we'd all be tortured because of differences. Who knows, maybe things will get better in the future. I'm sure they will as long as people can learn from the past without referring back to it to make others guilty or to say that they're lower than the majority. It's either that, or it'll be whites that are considered a minority and instead blacks, NAs, whatever other races are in America will be the ones in control and seeing whites as dirt. Actually I'm sure that is happening in some parts of the USA. So racism against whites is actually going on, and it's not just blacks that are against them. There are white people that are, too.
Inventor
#30 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 11:23 AM Last edited by urisStar : 16th Feb 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
People's responses don't mostly always coincide with their skin colour.

That may be true and if it is they need to speak up more and be counted, however, here in the USA the ones that make the most noise and those that try as best they could to analyze the issue seem to use skin color as there main point of reference when having to confront this issue, at every turn. I would think that most people in the USA would by now understand that the issues facing America are so much deeper than skin color, being that they pride themselves as being the best country in the world; which only help to question, have they ever been outside of America or is it self deception and denial in its worst form?

My guest is that they think that if they repeat it enough times everyone would believe it and so far they seem to be right. Dysfunction by any other name is still dysfunctional, and will remain that way until there is courage put forth to neutralize the situations that you have to face. So much for personal responsibility, another corrupted word that have fall victim to the making of America.

I am truly a critic of this issue because it doesn’t seem that they that promote this kind of behavior think that there are people that are actually paying attention. When you can rewrite history when it becomes unpleasing to you with no backlash, I guess you don’t have to believe your own lies when you can afford to pay others to do it for you, and the masses all fall in line!
Field Researcher
#31 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 7:18 PM
IMO the most racist thing towards white's today is Affirmative Action. In Canada we have the Canadian Employment Equity Act which means that federal jobs must give preferential treatment upon hiring to Women, minorities, and those with disabilities which is no different than affirmative action. I am against it not because I am racist but because it is discrimination, if it were a white's only law I would feel the same way. Most people who are against affirmative action are against it for this reason. I heard an argument that if every employer had the colour blind approach to hiring then it would be mostly white's getting hired that would be because white's are still the majority. I agree with the poster who said that it's not just white people who are against affirmative action. Even though I am a white female if I were a minority I would find affirmative action insulting because the government is like you can't get a job without our help yeah thanks . I do agree that affirmative action is minor compared the slavery, genocide, and any other horrible racist acts in our past.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!
Instructor
#33 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 12:52 PM
Hate and Hate Crime is bad, no matter what way you look at it.

As the late Michael Jackson sang, "It Don't Matter If You're Black Or White".
Alchemist
#34 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 5:58 AM Last edited by SuicidiaParasidia : 18th Feb 2010 at 6:10 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Doc Doofus
Yeah, if it weren't for all the slavery and the lynchings and the church-burnings stuff, it would probably be a wash.

yeah but, HOW long has it been since anybody was enslaved or lynched and such?

can we PLEASE just move on, people?
i swear, they dont want equality, they want revenge. :/ on people who didnt actually do anything, themselves. white peoples' ANCESTORS did, not current-day white people...sheesh....

but yes, for the most part i believe racism is a multi-lane highway, both directions. can be given and received by anyone, as can discrimination.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 6:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
white peoples' ANCESTORS did, not current-day white people...sheesh....

Some current day white people have lynched, murdered, and physically or psychologically abused black people.
Alchemist
#36 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 8:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
Some current day white people have lynched, murdered, and physically or psychologically abused black people.

and some black people have lynched, murdered, and physically or psychologically abused white people. your point?

Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 9:11 AM
My point is that it's not all in the past.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 9:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
yeah but, HOW long has it been since anybody was enslaved or lynched and such?

can we PLEASE just move on, people?
i swear, they dont want equality, they want revenge. :/ on people who didnt actually do anything, themselves. white peoples' ANCESTORS did, not current-day white people...sheesh....

Wow, I really wasn't going to comment on this thread, but this just caught my attention. This is the attitude that gets us nowhere. What do you mean move on? This wasn't "Oh hello African person, can you please travel thousands of miles to my little farm and work for me for free? Oh and can I rape your wife and daughters too? Oh and can I sell your sons down the river, as well? Thanks!" I try not to think about slavery, because every time I do it makes me so angry...It makes me angry that you can sit there and say move on, like it was a one time offense...slavery and lynchings lasted YEARS...discrimination and racism still exist today. I do agree that racism against any race is wrong, but don't tell me to move on...and just who is they? I (as a black female) don't want revenge, I would love for there to be no need for affirmative action and no need for stuff like BET (Black Entertainment Television), but if those things didn't exist, minorities wouldn't have a venue to show their talent or get that job or scholarship. While I feel that BET has run its course (and is the epitome of ignorance now), I still see a need for affirmative action.

*end rant* -All this is from my perspective of my little corner of America, I don't know about other countries (or states lol)

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.- Proverbs 31:30
Alchemist
#39 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simneesee
Wow, I really wasn't going to comment on this thread, but this just caught my attention. This is the attitude that gets us nowhere. What do you mean move on?

what i mean by move on is get over it, its not the current day commonplace practice. going on and on and on about it like it happened yesterday only causes rifts.

Quote:
This wasn't "Oh hello African person, can you please travel thousands of miles to my little farm and work for me for free? Oh and can I rape your wife and daughters too? Oh and can I sell your sons down the river, as well? Thanks!" I try not to think about slavery, because every time I do it makes me so angry...It makes me angry that you can sit there and say move on, like it was a one time offense...slavery and lynchings lasted YEARS...discrimination and racism still exist today.

no, im not saying it like it was a one time offense. i am aware of the facts. i can sit here and say that it gets everyone NOWHERE to keep going on about it, though. i can sit here and say that its a wedge if its not a helping hand. and no, i dont count it as helpful to regard me, possible descendant of slave owners, as a slave owner myself.
and yes, discrimination and racism still exist. but not nearly in the amounts that it used to. segregation is not commonplace, though you wouldnt guess it from the way people go on about their woes.

Quote:
I do agree that racism against any race is wrong, but don't tell me to move on...and just who is they? I (as a black female) don't want revenge, I would love for there to be no need for affirmative action and no need for stuff like BET (Black Entertainment Television), but if those things didn't exist, minorities wouldn't have a venue to show their talent or get that job or scholarship. While I feel that BET has run its course (and is the epitome of ignorance now), I still see a need for affirmative action.

*end rant* -All this is from my perspective of my little corner of America, I don't know about other countries (or states lol)

i'll tell you what i feel like telling you, just like youll tell me what you feel like telling me. you dont HAVE to do something just because i say it and visa versa.
i beg to differ, though i wouldnt be able to cite any sources--all of mine are real life experiences, and unless i could track those examples down and get them to cough up a " yes, that happened ", it wont happen.
it wasnt me who raised a whip to our ancestors, so why do i get shit on about it? riddle me that?

personally i treat everyone as equal unless they do something that i believe disqualifies them. however, i get more shit for it if i do it against someone of color than another of my race. why is that? hmmmm.
i never owned any slaves, i never lynched anybody. i never even tried to make life difficult for anyone outside of my race, come to think of it.
and still i get dirty looks from colored people.

and dont even tell me that just anyone can yell racism ( and be taken seriously ) like the not-so-minor-minorities can.
example 1: someone who is of light skin applies for a job, as does someone of darker skin. the white person gets the job, but IN THIS SCENARIO, its because they actually do the job better--and the black person calls racism. they can get quite a pretty penny off of that.
example 2: again, a light and a dark person apply for a job. this time, the dark person wins. can the white person cry 'racism'? no. if they did, theyd be laughed out of court.

so yes. racism is hurtful, and yes, damage was done in the past.
but what do you expect to be done about it?
do you want me to pull a wand out of my ass and wave it so that nothing like that had happened?
theres nothing i, nor anyone else can do to erase the past. all i ask is that we move FORWARD rather than go on and on and endlessly ON about the wrongs that were committed.
yes. we get it. slavery is bad. slavery has been bad since the day *i* was born. slavery will be bad forever after. but really? past your own preconceptions there isnt much nowadays that can prohibit you from getting a 'normal' scholarship and a 'normal' job. i see plenty of successful colored people around. not everyone is out to get you. yes, there ARE assholes--but ALL sides have those. that wont change.

Instructor
#40 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 12:05 PM
I really dislike this, "yes it happened in the past but theyre right in taking action against whites for the horrible things that happened."

That's like saying, "Oh the Jews/gays/gypsies should be able to round up Germans and do what they will with them".

Maybe Japan should go ahead and nuke America right on back?

Things happen in the past, so that we can LEARN from them and move on. I can't stand violence or needless hate - some of the barely veiled comments in this thread have really grated against my personal ethos.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Mad Poster
#41 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 12:18 PM
I have to throw in my two-cents' worth.

I do not think racism is inherently hateful. There is nothing wrong with preferring your own race to others. There is hateful racism, and non-hateful racism. There is nothing wrong with white pride (and I'm not talking about KKK-like extremism), just as there's nothing wrong with black pride, Jew pride, [insert race here] pride. Why should I be ashamed to be predominantly white?

Going around attacking someone just because of their race--that's hateful.

I'm a regular poster at the American Renaissance site (amren.com). And I have some Amerind ancestry myself (at most 3%).

As far as slavery...when's Al Sharpton going to shake down people in Africa whose ancestors sold the slaves to begin with? How about the Arabs? They were involved in the slave trade. Even Native Americans had slaves. Hey--even BLACKS had slaves!

I firmly believe that race goes beyond mere skin color. There is nothing hateful about acknowledging the differences.

And I do believe in treating everyone, no matter what the race, with civility. Do unto others.

I also hate the term "reverse discrimination" because that implies that only whites are guilty of discrimination.
Inventor
#42 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 1:11 PM Last edited by urisStar : 18th Feb 2010 at 1:24 PM.
There is no race category for people other then the human race, and by finding the need to break it down into skin color just makes the intent questionable. People are all up in arm about a situation that was solely created by human beings to get the upper hand on other human beings. The ones that started this evil game are now whining because the repercussion of their need/deeds to feel superior has come back to bite them on the butt, so now they want to walk it backwards only to fine that that their own history is accusatory.

Justice is now a bad word as people let their fears get the better of them because of their ugly history while still bemoaning peace. To say get over it only show that not much of the attitudes and behaviors of those who have put this game into play in the first place, has not change, as peace requires justice, they only work together and maybe there is where the real fear comes from.

Have anyone ever tried to make flesh color that resembles those who are so-called white? It takes more than white paint to get it right and if you don’t add some black to the orange, white, pink and sometimes a little green and or red, you end up with a mess as its true consistency to what you are trying to come up with. Food for thought!

By the way, surely it is common knowledge that when you die everyone ends up black in the end and there is not much you can do about it, talk about justice!
Mad Poster
#43 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 1:27 PM
Well, there are races of people just as there are different breeds of dogs. They're all dogs, but different breeds.
Instructor
#44 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 3:45 PM
Essentially, yes, we are all the same, but who knows what colour we were originally. Surely it would have taken time for the humans who remained in sun belted areas to adapt darker skin tones, just like it would take a very long time for our Nothern European friends to turn pale.

But over millions of years, there are extensive differences - they fascinate me really. I find people from other ethnicities insanely attractive.

But what fascinates me more is the debates on psychological differences between cultures and/or races of people. Humans are pretty amazing, why hate? :D

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Test Subject
#45 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 4:48 PM
When white people call black people chocolate. what is there to stop black people calling white people white chocolate. maybe black people and as racist

im a milky way and i dont believe in racism. i hate it
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 5:43 PM
I agree with you Suicidia, in that scenario, yes the white person should've got the job if they did better work, but that is often not the case. Usually its 2 equally qualified people, and the white person gets the job.
Right now, I am in the Deep South. There are still places I won't go, because I get looked at wrongly, or shown improper attitudes by some whites. There's a section of town I wouldn't advise any sane white person to go to, because some of the minorities there will give you a hard time and nasty looks. Racism is bad regardless.
And since when have we been colored people?!

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.- Proverbs 31:30
Instructor
#47 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 5:53 PM
Reading some of these posts I feel the need to throw this out there:

In the US at least, race is not just a "skin color". Being a part of a certain race almost means being part of a certain subculture, and implies other differences and stereotypes that go along with your physical appearance.
Inventor
#48 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimMegaptera
The modern academic definition of racism seems to be that it requires (a) hatred and (b) systematic oppression by someone who is in control of the situation.

Racism against black people in America is based on the fact that they used to be slaves here, then they were segregated, before the government finally decided to give all human beings the same rights. There are lingering effects that can properly be called racism -- hatred by white Americans towards black Americans often comes from long-standing views passed on through a family, and black Americans' higher rates of poverty come from the fact that the neighbourhoods they live in started out segregated (and underfunded by government).

Black hatred against white people is prejudice, but not racism because there are no established institutions that promote it or carry it on and that have power over white people.

The difference between prejudice and racism is a helpful one because it explains the difference between large scale power structures and smaller scale hatred. I would argue that if a white person expresses hatred of black people, that is indeed more serious than the other way around, because they have more power to take liberties away from black people.

The classic example is of white women accusing black men of crimes, and black men being hauled off to jail without a fair trial; while if a black woman accuses a white man of a crime against her nobody listens. This is a historically known pattern, not just something made up, and does still exist today although certainly not in the same numbers as it used to.

Thank you for putting it in words better than I did. You said exactly what I was trying to say, only better.
Inventor
#49 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimMegaptera
@thetinhouse, I apologize if I was too specific -- I was using the American situation as an example, as it's what I'm the most familiar with. Of course the power distribution is going to be different or the other way around in different places. In America it's whites who have traditionally had the power and who still have most of it now; in other places it may be someone else. Apply the concept to your experience rather than the specifics.

And Australia... and many other countries where whites have invaded a land and called it their own. Looking back at human history, I think every single developed country has shown racism and slavery as a human trait.
Inventor
#50 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
Well, there are races of people just as there are different breeds of dogs. They're all dogs, but different breeds.

Breeds of dogs are classified differently than humans and their classifications and sub-groupings are given more substance than color, hair texture and head/skull measurement.

There are no different races of people, there are different cultures as in society, mores, background, traditions, customs, way of life, and ethnicity speaks to culture, having the same meaning as culture.

The term race as in different races/racial grouping has been problematic from a scientific point of view as it is from a social one. The feeling is that the term has no biological validity; others use the term to specify only a partially isolated reproductive population whose members share a considerable degree of genetic similarity.

“In certain broader or less technical senses the term RACE is sometimes used interchangeably with the term PEOPLE. PEOPLE REFER to a body of persons united usually by common interests, ideals, or culture but sometimes also by a common history, language, or ethnic character: We are one people; the peoples of the world; the Swedish people. NATION refers to a body of persons living under an organized government or rule, occupying a defined area, and acting as a unit in matters of peace and war: the English nation.”

“ European physical anthropologists of the 17th and 18th centuries proposed various systems of racial classifications based on such observable characteristics as skin color, hair type, body proportions, and skull measurements, essentially codifying the perceived differences among broad geographic populations of humans. The traditional terms for these populations—Caucasoid (or Caucasian), Mongoloid, Negroid, and in some systems Australoid—are now controversial in both technical and nontechnical usage, and in some cases they may well be considered offensive. (Caucasian does retain a certain currency in American English, but it is used almost exclusively to mean "white" or "European" rather than "belonging to the Caucasian race," a group that includes a variety of peoples generally categorized as nonwhite.) The biological aspect of race is described today not in observable physical features but rather in such genetic characteristics as blood groups and metabolic processes, and the groupings indicated by these factors seldom coincide very neatly with those put forward by earlier physical anthropologists. Citing this and other points—such as the fact that a person who is considered black in one society might be nonblack in another—many cultural anthropologists now consider race to be more a social/communal/community or mental/psychological construct/erected/created than an objective biological fact.”

In my own words: Racial Grouping has been nothing but a psych scheme to puff up men of little to no self-esteem and a promotional tool to justify slavery, Jim Crow and the rest of that ugly/nasty behavior, pure and simple!

Source: reference.com

Page 2 of 12