Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
The U.S. didn't enter into WW1 or WW2 until it got personal (the Lusitania in WW1, Pearl Harbor in WW2)... whereas other countries fought with each other from the beginning due to previous alliances.

The sinking of the Lusitania was a factor in the US getting involved in the war, but it wasn't the deciding factor. The Lusitania sank in 1915. After that Wilson vowed, "America is too proud to fight." He then also demanded the Germans stop attacking passenger ships, to which they complied. The US didn't enter the war until 1917, after Germans sank seven U.S. merchant ships and the Zimmerman telegraph came out.

But I do get what you were saying. The US wanted to stay out of both wars, and were able to do so until events happened that directly involved American citizens and interests.
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 29th Apr 2010 at 7:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
I started this thread because I want to express my disapproval for engaging any country in international political affairs. I think countries like Poland and not only may only lose due to having been engaged in some pointless projects that may only do harm to societies.

My point is to emphasis the fact that there's no point in sending troops to Middle West or Africa, because it only worsens the relations between the Western and Eastern culture. I think negotiations should be possible to avoid sufferings of many innocent people.

Imagine the feelings of local people in Afghanistan, Iraq being under control for unknown reasons for them. They want to live their lives in a normal way the same as we do. They don't feel guilty for all the damage and harm that terrorists did. Terrorists are only groups of desperate people who got lost and brainwashed. There is a stereotype in a western culture that any man covered with a traditional Muslim outfit with his/her eyes only visible is supposed to be a terrorist. I don't understand how can such people who believe this crap be so shallow in forming their ideas. This is a huge and bad generalization we should be ashamed of.

I got inspired by watching the movie entitled 'Peacemaker' where such topics were put forward.

As far as Poland and other countries that don't want any conflicts are concerned I would like to state that my country has been free for only 20 years from the fall of communism. We don't want to suffer any more because of some people who want to 'bring peace' to Afghanistan or Africa. Those people want to have control over oil and have more money because of it. Why doesn't American army invade North Korea? The answer is simple. There is nothing worth taking control of. There is no oil, no gas or any valuable resources.

Maybe I sound like a person that knows little or nothing about politics, but I want to introduce thoughts of ordinary people living in the areas affected. They treat foreign soldiers as invaders and have right to do so. Maybe I sound anti-American, but this is not my point. I think fighting doesn't solve anything and only worsens the situation. And countries engaged may not only gain nothing but also lose more than they can think of. Especially countries like Poland that cannot even deal with its current affairs.

Another point is a project of anti-ballistic program that was about to be installed in Poland. What for? Do we have any danger from any country? Why do those people want Russia to feel anxious about some pointless program offered by the Americans (by saying Americans I don't mean people living in America but their government or political structure responsible for the project)?

I just hope we as people on Earth realize that conflicts are bad. I hope it will not be too late.

Good post. I feel the same about the dutch fighting in Iraq/Iran etc. Its just about the oil. And to lick the USAs feet. It makes no sense to fight for war unless as a last resort. The way ALL muslims are demonized as terrorists is ridculous. It makes more sense to send help.

Its not bad to help the people there a bit to modernise. Not change all of the culture. But do help a bit get some strange ideas away. As much as it may be "their culture" to kill sisters for family honor who are suspect of something unhonorable (like beeing alone with a man) that part of the culture DOES needs an update.

It was quite shocking to read in a large part of Iran a woman in a police uniform is considered EXTREMELY offensensive. (semi veiled woman in a very baggy bodycovering suit) Because a police woman comes in contact with "strange" men shes considered a woman of loose moral. So she may be killed or raped. Teaching people some things would help the average citizen (female) there more than all the war.

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Theorist
#28 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 1:40 AM
I don't understand what you mean by the US being overly aggressive, We were attacked what else would we do, wait for them to attack again? If people attack your country you don't just sit around and do nothing.

Hi I'm Paul!
Scholar
#29 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
Well I don't quite agree with you about changing the Muslim society. I watched a movie where a Muslim woman told that the society need to be ready to accept the changes. Women in Islam who comply to the rules are safe. Maybe it sounds a little bit awkward but this is how cultures work. You cannot impose rapid changes and expect people to approve them. The law imposed on people in Islam is very strong and cruel in fact and many people from the West might find it unfair.

Actually, the current fundamentalism in many Islamic countries is very recent. The exact timeline is a little hazy for me, but I think Iran became fundamentalist in the '70s. Try reading the graphic novel Persepolis to get a basic idea of how things happened. That really is a very short period of time and if they were capable of taking the radical shift to fundamentalism in the first place, I think they can take a relatively rapid shift back to a more moderate society.

People from the west find it unfair because it is. It is morally wrong to systematically hold down, shame, and punish women simply for being women. Many people think that we should tolerate it because it is part of their culture and culture is supposed to be inviolable, but it is wrong to tolerate this level of moral wrongdoing and it isn't as ingrained into their culture as many people seem to think.

Page 2 of 2