Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#51 Old 2nd May 2010 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chocklitkiss
I had a pregnant sim who I just couldn't make happy. So I decided to use that Career Reward thing.....and I FRIED the poor woman!!! In front of her hubbie!!!! I barely managed to get her into a bed, and I believe she hadn't recovered fully when the baby was born....and the BABY!!!! He was a demonspawn, I swear!!!

haha. i don't remember much of what i did that was stupid, but maybe if i thought harder about it i could recall more things. when i first started playing the sims 2, it was years ago.

but i think that pregnant sims were the hardest to take care of at first. it tends to be the easiest to mess up with, because the whole 'needs decaying faster' thing was completely new.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 2nd May 2010 at 2:25 AM
(I hope posting twice to the same thread isn't a noob mistake!)

I've been busy building my first neighborhood. It's a little beach community. I started building commercial lots on the main street, across from the beach. I built a co-op grocery store, a burger restaurant, a mini mall (with two shops), and a bar.

Then I made a spa, with hot tubs and exercise equipment. I build it with a calm environment - lots of wood, shoji screens, fountains, and potted plants. Then, as a last-minute thought, I put a couple of wall speakers in the lobby. I didn't bother reading the description of the speakers - I just picked a color that looked nice against the wood walls.

Then I sent one of my Sims to try out the new spa. Those pretty black speakers were blasting heavy metal music. (Not exactly the atmosphere I was going for.) I now know to read the descriptions of items.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 2nd May 2010 at 2:44 AM
Never ever made a second floor and my houses were cramped and looked stupid from the neighboor hood view.
Theorist
#54 Old 2nd May 2010 at 12:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Beatnik226
I didn't bother reading the description of the speakers - I just picked a color that looked nice against the wood walls.

Lol, thanx for that! I've been playing for a few years and haven't figured it out. I thought that the type of music is random.
Scholar
#55 Old 2nd May 2010 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
Lol, thanx for that! I've been playing for a few years and haven't figured it out. I thought that the type of music is random.

I only noticed that last time I played - and I don't consider myself a noob in Sims terms either!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Instructor
#56 Old 2nd May 2010 at 12:42 PM
Bless me father for I have simmed (badly)..

Quote:
Took me a while (one or 2 years) to figure out you could actually erase terrainpaint by holding down shift key.

.. I didn't know you could do that and I've been playing for like.. ever since Sims 2 University came out.

-hangs head in shame-

SO NOOB.

Field Researcher
#57 Old 3rd May 2010 at 5:01 AM
It took me a while to realise that tutorial Jane couldn't get pregnant. I actually liked her and John.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 3rd May 2010 at 8:27 PM
I asked my husband to play TS2 out of curiosity to see of he likes it or not. He played for a while with out asking questions, but then he said it's a bit boring. My dad on the other hand, he freaked out and was like, " AANNNA!!! My sim peed them selves...what's that guy with a scythe doing?! OMG how can you play this game?! What's wrong with you! I quit!"

Moral: Don't try to make you parent who has no clue what sims is play The Sims
#59 Old 3rd May 2010 at 8:32 PM
"It took me a while to realise that tutorial Jane couldn't get pregnant. I actually liked her and John."
She can`t? Odd. I was teaching someone to play last night, and Jane got pregnant with Try for Baby on the first try! [This was in the Advanced Gameplay tutorial.] We didn`t keep playing long enough to see if she "showed" in the second trimester, though. Too bad the tutorials aren`t savable.

Hey, does anyone know how to convert the Tutorial neighborhood into an ordinary playable neighborhood?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Scholar
#60 Old 3rd May 2010 at 9:03 PM
Omg...and I've always wondered why the speakers only played one station of music
Site Helper
#61 Old 3rd May 2010 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
Hey, does anyone know how to convert the Tutorial neighborhood into an ordinary playable neighborhood?

I suppose you could try following this tutorial to renumber the neighborhood to something like N004 and see what happens? http://www.the-isz.com/theisz/index.php?showtopic=702

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 4th May 2010 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
I also did most of my super Noob stuff in TS1. My very first set of Sims were a disaster. He died in a tragic grill accident, I had no idea they could die so it was quite shocking. I sat there watching the grim reaper bit in fascination and then thought "hey, where'd my Sim go?"

I did the same thing!! I also had that family who died from Guinea Pig Disease, and both parents died, so I had the kids paint and sell the paintings so they could afford to eat!!

I've not had any nOOb disasters as such with TS2, just the run of the mill things...

In fact reading this thread - there's a lot of things that I didn't know could go wrong!

"Did I not just use the word 'puzzling'?"
Mad Poster
#63 Old 5th May 2010 at 8:23 AM
Yeah I just found out, that chilling in hot spring during thunderstorm is not a good thing...I only thought pools and hot tubs fell under the umbrella.
Theorist
#64 Old 5th May 2010 at 3:37 PM Last edited by vhanster : 2nd Jul 2010 at 8:46 PM.
The mistakes I did when I was new
1. I didn't see the teen sims have homeworks an I never had them do it. Result? They get Ds all the time
2. I accidentally made my sim Try for Baby and she had a baby although I didn't want her to. I called the adoption service hoping I could 'donate' the baby. I ended up having TWO babies.
3. I let another female sim get pregnant with the Grim (using cheat of course). After it was born, I forgot that I had the aging system off, and I was wondering why the baby never grew up.
4. When I first met the Social Bunny, my first thought was, "What the hell is with this townie, following around my Sim in a bunny costume? And why can I ask him to leave???" In fact, I first thought they were bug characters who appears and disappears all the time...
Scholar
#65 Old 5th May 2010 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
"It took me a while to realise that tutorial Jane couldn't get pregnant. I actually liked her and John."
She can`t? Odd. I was teaching someone to play last night, and Jane got pregnant with Try for Baby on the first try! [This was in the Advanced Gameplay tutorial.] We didn`t keep playing long enough to see if she "showed" in the second trimester, though. Too bad the tutorials aren`t savable.

Once I first learned how to WooHoo (couldn't figure it out for so long!) I went to the tutorials and had John (Joe?) and Jane Try For Baby like crazy. Didn't work.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Test Subject
#66 Old 6th May 2010 at 3:51 AM
I was so excited when i got sims 2, first thing i did was create a family with 4 toddlers and 2 children. I also put all the beds in a row and yelled at my sims when they diddnt put the toddlers to bed, i thought they could put them in a normal bed. I bought a fridge after i realized that they needed one, but didnt buy and counters. I gave up and ordered them some pizza, and then screamed at the poor toddlers when they didnt go pick up a slice. I also freaked out when some odd looking woman in a stupid suit took away my kids. The parents died a couple minutes later. Pretty sure those sims hate me..... but the 4 toddlers got adopted by Cassandra Goth and Darren Dreamer, so its not all bad.
Inventor
#67 Old 6th May 2010 at 5:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MissFish_XD
I was so excited when i got sims 2, first thing i did was create a family with 4 toddlers and 2 children. I also put all the beds in a row and yelled at my sims when they diddnt put the toddlers to bed, i thought they could put them in a normal bed. I bought a fridge after i realized that they needed one, but didnt buy and counters. I gave up and ordered them some pizza, and then screamed at the poor toddlers when they didnt go pick up a slice. I also freaked out when some odd looking woman in a stupid suit took away my kids. The parents died a couple minutes later. Pretty sure those sims hate me..... but the 4 toddlers got adopted by Cassandra Goth and Darren Dreamer, so its not all bad.

LMAO - I can imagine that house was pure chaos MissFish!

My first two sim children (kid and toddler) were both collected by the social worker. I was gutted. No WAY was she taking my sims' kids away. So I hunted high and low for a way to get them back - before finding out you could do it with Tomb of Life & Death where you can add any sim into the family, including kids put up for adoption.

Ever since then I've always been slightly paranoid about keeping kids hunger levels in the green as well as making them do their homework.
Mad Poster
#68 Old 6th May 2010 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jodemilo

Ever since then I've always been slightly paranoid about keeping kids hunger levels in the green as well as making them do their homework.

I know that feeling. Once, when playing Life Stories, I had a boy and his infant sister taken away because of failing grades. I didn't know what the notebook thing was for!

As for hunger...I let it get slightly in the yellow before Children go to school, because then they'll eat lunch there. If you send them off with Hunger completely in the green, they'll come home with it in the yellow, and you have to satisfy Hunger AND Fun before they'll do homework. And then they whine that they're tired.
Forum Resident
#69 Old 6th May 2010 at 8:02 PM
I remember the first ever lot i played was Don Lothario in Pleasantview. I had no idea what i was doing. First of all, id got him to invite nina over, and i kept thinking 'Why isn't she coming? Why isn't she ringing the bell or knocking on the door?" So i kept on inviting her over and over again but just couldnt figure out why it didnt work. Eventually, i realised that he had to go out and greet her. Duh!

Second thing i did was, it was late at night and he had the caliente sisters over and they were all in the hotub, and all his needs were low because i hadn't even realised there were needs!, and he was moaning to go to bed. But i couldnt for the life of me figure out how to get him to go upstairs. LOL. I kept trying to click the stairs to find a 'go upstairs' option.

Check out my Sims for Download Here :)
Take a Look at my Re-Model's of Houses! Here
Even the best fall down sometimes...
Even the stars refuse to shine...
I somehow find, You and I..Collide...
#70 Old 6th May 2010 at 8:31 PM
Interestingly enough, I_Love_Simming, there *is* a Go Upstairs option on the stairs. The hitch is that it is only visible when you SHIFT-click on the stairs with Testing Cheats enabled. I seem to recall having tried to enable that option in regular play with negative results.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Forum Resident
#71 Old 6th May 2010 at 9:06 PM
Oooh really? Ill have a look at that lol.

Check out my Sims for Download Here :)
Take a Look at my Re-Model's of Houses! Here
Even the best fall down sometimes...
Even the stars refuse to shine...
I somehow find, You and I..Collide...
Inventor
#72 Old 6th May 2010 at 10:10 PM Last edited by jodemilo : 6th May 2010 at 11:36 PM.
I'm phobic about letting any of my sims die - even the pets - and one day hadn't noticed that my first beloved pet in the game - a golden retriever named Lola - was actually approaching her final days and I didn't realise pets can eat from the "kibble of life" in the Aspiration rewards.

I was playing a different part of their large family lot when I noticed some kind of commotion going on near the swimming pool at the rear of the house. I zoomed in to see the grim reaper writing out the last rites (or whatever it is he's doing when he's writing lol) and calling on his mobile. It was the first time I'd seen Grimmie and was rather disturbed, but watched the scene anyway. The family's kids gathered around and then the Grim Reaper threw a final stick for Lola and she disappeared in a puff of white smoke while everyone was crying. I was devastated! lol.

So I didn't save the game and when I played the lot again I quickly got the family to make her eat the kibble of life. Phew.

That scene actually brought a tear to my eye! Pathetic I know!

Lola is still alive and kicking, although in dog's years she's probably about 2070 years old now. hehe

Oh, on the subject of pets, I didn't realise that when you get a sim to click the dog/cat and select "Praise for" and "Scold for", I'd click on "Praise for" and sometimes it would say "hostility towards others", so I thought.... errr. maybe I should praise her for that - I dunno really, what does it mean?!. So Lola ended up one fairly mixed up bipolar dog! Friendly one minute, hostile the next.
Scholar
#73 Old 8th May 2010 at 12:20 PM
I don't think this was super nOOb but I certainly learned not to do it again. When I got BV I sent a couple off on their honeymoon as the very first vacation I tried. They had been living together for awhile before getting married so they were ready to start a family. First I had them do a 7 day vacation, never again as it was interminably long. They went to Twikki island and stayed at the bungalows so they had "home" like accommodations.

I had not modified the lots in any way so they could only do room service for food or they had to go to another lot to eat at the food shacks. On the second day of their trip I had the wife got pregnant. I didn't think much about this other than I assumed the baby would be born once they got home.

She spent the rest of the vacation throwing up, eating and sleeping. She couldn't leave the lot as she became exhausted almost immediately, and she seemed to have the worst case of morning sickness on the planet. Meanwhile he explored everything, got the voodoo doll from the witch doctor and learned the fire dance (did I mention this was 7 long days?).

Yeah so no more trying for a baby on holiday and no one takes a longer vacation than 3 days.
Inventor
#74 Old 8th May 2010 at 3:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan

Yeah so no more trying for a baby on holiday and no one takes a longer vacation than 3 days.

I wish they had the option for just a daytrip. lol

I found once I'd done Bon Voyage a couple of times I really couldn't be bothered sending them on 3 day vacations (I could never do longer than that with them), so sometimes would cut the vacation short if I was bored with it. On one occasion I sent them to the Maxi's mountain resort in a hotel I hadn't checked out beforehand - it had really crap facilities - not even a restaurant. I thought - oh well, we're lumbered with this for three days. The sim whose holiday it was had invited his fiance and his parents - his mother had yet to meet his fiance but it turned out the mother decided she hated her and they actually had a fist fight in the hotel reception at the end of the holiday. It was pretty funny seeing him and his father cheer the fight on and I'd never seen two sims cross swords before like these two women did.

So what was supposed to be a relaxing holiday getting to know the future in-laws ended up a complete disaster.

I also didn't feel like trying to discover where Bigfoot was so bought "Bigfoot in a box" from Simwardrobe and added it to one of my farm businesses so he could do all the gardening and fishing chores with his gold badges and maxxed out skills. Of course I didn't realise Bigfoot would ALSO be added to the family (I didn't fancy that plodding mute around the house - hehe) so Bigfoot met a sticky end with my local hitman. Poor Bigfoot, he was such a sweet guy and probably didn't deserve it but how else was I supposed to get rid of him??

Off-topic I know, but here's a picture of Bigfoot going home in my bemused sim's car... I wouldn't fancy THAT on a blind date, that's for sure! haha
Screenshots
Scholar
#75 Old 8th May 2010 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jodemilo
I wouldn't fancy THAT on a blind date, that's for sure! haha

Hey I think I dated that guy! :D
Page 3 of 43