Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #4 - posted on 19th Feb 2018 at 4:46 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 552 (Who?), Viewed: 125169 times. | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: This thread went and got reaaaallll stupid
Page 3 of 23
Instructor
#51 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:09 PM
Yeah, I also associate churches with weddings. I somehow expect a wedding to have the sounds of church bells when I imagine it. Same with funerals... I'm really used to funerals being portrayed at churches - the whole Christian ceremony and the "ashes to ashes..." everything.
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:15 PM
Religion has socalled law side. Religion says that it is bad to kill, hate, steal. And when I say: STOP! to religion, I can kill, steal, hate, one year be male, one year female lol, and this is bad, and I will have no conscience.

Abandoned account...
Instructor
#53 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan17
Religion has socalled law side. Religion says that it is bad to kill, hate, steal. And when I say: STOP! to religion, I can kill, steal, hate, one year be male, one year female lol, and this is bad, and I will have no conscience.


Okay... someone else will have to do it for me. I'm too overwhelmed to reply here.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: retired moderator
#54 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:45 PM
Morality can be dictated by religion, but morality is not religion. I am not Christian and I do not subscribe to any recognized faith. Yet I do not kill or steal, and I have very little hatred (only for some seriously fucked up individuals who really deserve it). Lack of religion (or lack of christianity) has nothing to do with individual morality. Your moral compass is part of yourself - not your religion. There are a lot of Christians who do some pretty horrible stuff - including killing, stealing, and hating.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 1:26 PM
grumpy_otter - To clarify: my response wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the poster who said a wedding isn't the same without a church. I totally get what you mean; churches are associated with weddings because it's tradition.

ivan17 - people don't need religion to tell them that murder and theft are bad. Notice how Christianity tells us that adultery is a sin, yet there aren't laws against that. That's because laws and morality aren't made on the basis of religion. Atheists aren't devoid of a conscious and it's insulting to say that they are. Religion has led people to do some really abhorrent things: terrorist bombings, honour killings. Ever heard of the Yorkshire Ripper? Peter Sutcliffe murdered 13 women because he believed he was doing God's work to rid the world of prostitutes. Don't act like you need religion to have a conscious because that's a load of rubbish.
Top Secret Researcher
#56 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 1:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan17
Religion has socalled law side. Religion says that it is bad to kill, hate, steal. And when I say: STOP! to religion, I can kill, steal, hate, one year be male, one year female lol, and this is bad, and I will have no conscience.


Some people who are religious also do all those things, and some people who aren't religious don't do any of those things. There is no proof that an individual's level of religiousness has any correlation to their level of morality or "conscience".
Forum Resident
#57 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 2:37 PM Last edited by lovetadraw : 19th Jul 2010 at 3:10 PM.
Oh, FYI I had to hurry and finish that last post so let me finish here.

It's not that I won't pity, it's sad when something bad happens to someone. All I'm saying is, it could have been avoided. On the other hand, if someone gets shot on there front stoop, I'm not going to say I don't pity them because they went outside. But like, you're drinking and drugging while pregnant and you have a baby with issues it's kinda hard to pity you. Not that I won't.

Whatever, hate me if you want. If I make no sense, forgive me.

Oh and not to get off topic, but about homosexuality, probably way too much estrogen at anytime of a person's life my affect the brain. I'm not fetal doctor, but since baby get's what mommy gets, it makes sense to me that if when a fetus is just turning into a boy, too much estrogen could screw it up.

Transsexuals are just so... made to feel freakish. It's not fair. If there is a god, why would he purposly do that? I know that someone will say "god does cause bad things to happen, he lets things happen sometimes". One of the things transsexuals face is "be gay to my self, be gay" . I personally think it's wonderful that people found ways to fix it surgically. And hey, with all the cloning they are working on for replacing limbs, maybe they'll be able to clone the uterus, ovaries, or testes and all so they can have there own kids and all.

@ jooxis-
I know, I've broken my habit/addiction thankfully. 2 months now. As for sex, I'll admit I've never needed any self control because my parents try to be right on top of me ALL THE TIME. Like I've said, I might just do it because I can, not because I want to. If I'd ever get the chance.

@HP -
Sadly Christians are kind of told that you are to hate gays. Given that's more like the churches being @$$ holes. Christian 101, god hates the sin, and is made unhappy when people abuse things s/he gave them. But doesn't hate the sinner because he made and loves everyone. 10 years of church... ten years I can't have back.

Where does the pain come?
Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
Instructor
#58 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 3:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetadraw
Oh, FYI I had to hurry and finish that last post so let me finish here.

It's not that I won't pity, it's sad when something bad happens to someone. All I'm saying is, it could have been avoided. On the other hand, if someone gets shot on there front stoop, I'm not going to say I don't pity them because they went outside. But like, you're drinking and drugging while pregnant and you have a baby with issues it's kinda hard to pity you.

Whatever, hate me if you want. If I make no sense, forgive me.


I understand that it could have been avoided - I'm just saying pretty much anything bad that happens to us could be avoided. We have to take risks all the time.
Everybody who ever died in a plane crash "could have avoided" their death had they just decided not to go on vacation or on their business trip or whatever. But it doesn't mean we don't sympathize with them and it doesn't mean we should blame them.
I didn't say I hate you, I'm just pointing out that sex is just one of the many, many "risky" things we engage in, so it's kind of weird to single out people with STDs as the only ones you don't sympathize with.
If someone is well aware of STDs and sleeps around with hundreds of people unprotected and just "doesn't care" then yes - that would be irresponsible behaviour and I would sympathize more with the victims of this person's behaviour. But most people aren't like that.
Forum Resident
#59 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 3:11 PM
"I understand that it could have been avoided - I'm just saying pretty much anything bad that happens to us could be avoided. We have to take risks all the time. "
^"on the other hand, if someone gets shot on there front stoop, I'm not going to say I don't pity them because they went outside."


"If someone is well aware of STDs and sleeps around with hundreds of people unprotected and just "doesn't care" then yes - that would be irresponsible behavior and I would sympathize more with the victims of this person's behavior. But most people aren't like that."

I agree.

Where does the pain come?
Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
Field Researcher
#60 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCougar555
A lot of you guys believe that God/Goddesses or religions would ruin/destroy people's lives. It look like you forget the faith do have benefits for various reasons..... I respectfully disagree cos it don't ruin my life, and I don't think my friends', my family's, some people's (I personally know who) lives are ruined by Him/Gods/Goddesses. Faith just did save my life and it changed my life a lot, much better. I turned out okay. Without the faith, this will not where I am now....... So this does apply to people I know.

There is no way I can reject my religion since it does help me a lot........................ Sorry, I feel I have to step in here to make some point............ I'm sorry if my POV offend anyone cos my life is just different than yours, it's not really my intention......... I can't understand why a lot of you guys believe in religions destroy a lot of people's lives and completely ignore all of helpful & useful benefits from any faith that would affect another people's lives positively. How do you know the religion will destroy each person's life? *confused looks* It is hard for me to believe in "OMG. Why do you believe in Gods/Goddesses/Him? It is so absurd. Religions will ruin your life! It is BAD. I suggest you to abandon your faith. It will save you and it'll bring a lot of happiness to you." stuff. =(


I think that when people say that religion is bad for people, they don't necessarily reject the fact that some people find comfort in religion, but more pointing to the fact that this comfort is artificial, like a band-aid to hide a badly infected wound, out of sight and out of mind.

Also, religion DOES bring bad things for people in general. Religions teaches that we should feel ashamed for certain, totally human, behaviors, they teach that "God did it" and that scientists are conspirationnists, they teach that being gay is wrong, a sin, an abomination, etc. Some religions even teach that it is better to die than to recieve certain medical interventions that could save one's life, other religions teach that some body mutilations, often on babies, infants, or young kids, are necessary in order to be loved by whatever god it is they worship.

Of course not every religions are equal, and not every religious person within one single religion is equal, but as a whole, religions are all about faith, which means that the church leaders expect their members to blindly follow and eat their words, and most importantly, to never question them (including on scientific facts), else they face punishment, excommunication or death (depending on where you live on this big ball called Earth).

And THAT is what is bad about religion; the sheep mentality, the repression of critical thinking and of individuality.
Scholar
#61 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 2:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan17
Religion has socalled law side. Religion says that it is bad to kill, hate, steal. And when I say: STOP! to religion, I can kill, steal, hate, one year be male, one year female lol, and this is bad, and I will have no conscience.

So.. you are saying that religion is the ONLY thing that keeps you from murdering, stealing and going transgender?


"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 2:27 AM
So, I just read the last page of this debate. Frankly, my intuition is telling me that the people arguing for Christianity here truly know little of it and that's a bit sad. I'm not claiming I know everything there is to everything. I simply believe in what I believe in. A person's opinion and faith is their own personal choice. Frankly, what my views on Christianity is, is that it's a relationship with God, trying to become closer to him not by anything you're trying to accomplish, but by responding to what he's already done. To think that any religion controls the borders of morality is not completely true. Some people use it as justification to murder, to steal, to do whatever sin that the general public knows to be wrong. It's called having a moral compass. BTK was caught from his own church, for goodness sakes. Morality is a normal thing for most decently functioning human beings, whether or not they're religious.

So I guess I'm not really arguing for Christianity, but rather for morality. Sorry for the rant. :P
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 9:32 AM
@jooxis, HystericalParoxysm, el_flel, simbalena, Vanito.

It is not important are you monotheist, politheist or Christian. If you are breaking your God/gods/goddess law, you are not member of your faith. You are just monotheist, politheist or Christian on paper.
Peter Sutcliffe, I think that he was/is crazy.

Abandoned account...
Scholar
#64 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 9:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan17
@jooxis, HystericalParoxysm, el_flel, simbalena, Vanito.

It is not important are you monotheist, politheist or Christian. If you are breaking your God/gods/goddess law, you are not member of your faith. You are just monotheist, politheist or Christian on paper.
Peter Sutcliffe, I think that he was/is crazy.

If you dont wanna break the laws of your faith.. you should stone your wife at the wedding night if shes not a virgin, you should cut out your eye if you look at a woman lustfully, you should kill your children who curse at you, kill gay men, kill witches, kill unbelievers, kill people of other religions. Furthemore you should kill anyone that commits adultery and Jesus refers to remarriage as adultery too. And kill wallmart people that work on sunday.

So.. you are either a serial killer... or just a christian on paper.


"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Forum Resident
#65 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:44 AM
^ yup...

Where does the pain come?
Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
Instructor
#66 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan17
@jooxis, HystericalParoxysm, el_flel, simbalena, Vanito.

It is not important are you monotheist, politheist or Christian. If you are breaking your God/gods/goddess law, you are not member of your faith. You are just monotheist, politheist or Christian on paper.
Peter Sutcliffe, I think that he was/is crazy.


Most "Christians" are not following all the Bible laws (in fact, doing some of the stuff the Bible tells you is okay could land you in jail in today's world, hah). People choose to follow which laws suit them and completely disregard those that don't. How many self-identified Christians are saving themselves for marriage? Very few, I'm sure. That's because saving yourself for marriage represents quite a challenge for most people so they try to justify sex before marriage as being okay according to the Bible (by interpreting it however they want). I'm also sure you have broken some of these laws as well.

Also, how can you claim that someone else is not a member of your faith? Anyone who identifies themselves as followers of a certain religion could be considered followers of that religion. You don't get a membership card or something that will accurately determine whether you're a follower of some religion.
Scholar
#67 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 1:53 PM Last edited by Nouk : 20th Jul 2010 at 2:05 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanito
If you dont wanna break the laws of your faith.. you should stone your wife at the wedding night if shes not a virgin, you should cut out your eye if you look at a woman lustfully, you should kill your children who curse at you, kill gay men, kill witches, kill unbelievers, kill people of other religions. Furthemore you should kill anyone that commits adultery and Jesus refers to remarriage as adultery too. And kill wallmart people that work on sunday.

So.. you are either a serial killer... or just a christian on paper.


This is not christianity. In fact, Jesus made it very clear that every single human is guilty of disobeying God (wich is sin), and therefore we are all equal. If a person wants to go back to God, they need to accept Jesus as their way back to Him. It is 100% vulontary. This is a complete act of mercy, as mankind as we are now cannot do it on our own power, because of the standards God has (you cannot have one sin). A christian needs to become like Jesus. Jesus did not kill, did not lie, was not violent (except on the occasion of protecting the temple), did not force others to His beliefs. In fact all He did was tell the truth and if you didn't accept it, too bad. In christianity Jesus taught the christian to pray to God to forgive them of their sins, like they themselves forgive others. This is very heavy, because alot of people have a hard time forgiving, and are easy to pass judgement.

The tasks of the christian community (church) was 1. to spread the good news like Jesus commanded and the apostles did (and guess what, they didn't kill, plunder, rape, torture, burn, force in any way, or commit freaking genocide) 2. to keep their own community as free from sin as possible, without sinning themselves (no torture, burnings, murders, outright genocide, I mean... duh?) 3. to take care of eachother like they were family 4. to keep their knowledge of Gods word up to par and to keep out false teachers, so that they would only follow the truth. 5. leaders/teachers were servants: leaders would serve the people by teaching and helping them on their way, and were held by much greater standards, and the community was allowed to criticise them based on the writings. (instead of taking the position of a 'king' and have complete immunity, and having their words made law without scrutiny)

Instead, they eventually became a religious and political system with huge power, in a large part of history the people were actively kept from reading the bible (if they could read, and if they could read latin!) and thus kept from finding out that things were wrong, and were taught to swallow everything teachers and church higherups said for absolute truth asif it came from God. We all know the results and this is a large part of why people feel an aversion against christianity.

When you look upon the complete monstrosities that some of the churches have become and have committed, in christianity they would never represent God or Jesus. And it's still going on in many ways.

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: retired moderator
#68 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 1:59 PM
ivan17 - I'm not any kind of theist. I don't believe in one all-powerful creator (or multiple ones) - not the Christian god, not Zeus, not Buddah. There are no "laws" of my faith because I don't -have- a faith. I'm -not- an athiest - I believe in things, but there is no holy book, no priests, no temples for what I believe. Morality operates completely separately from religion. It can be dictated by it, but whether or not you actually obey it is an internal process and has nothing to do with what god you may or may not believe in. If all that keeps you from being an animal is your faith, I'd say you're on pretty shaky ground - your morality should be a core of your personality and a desire to be a good person and not fuck people over, not dictated by what someone else tells you you -should- do.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 8:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HystericalParoxysm
ivan17 - I'm not any kind of theist. I don't believe in one all-powerful creator (or multiple ones) - not the Christian god, not Zeus, not Buddah. There are no "laws" of my faith because I don't -have- a faith. I'm -not- an athiest - I believe in things, but there is no holy book, no priests, no temples for what I believe. Morality operates completely separately from religion. It can be dictated by it, but whether or not you actually obey it is an internal process and has nothing to do with what god you may or may not believe in. If all that keeps you from being an animal is your faith, I'd say you're on pretty shaky ground - your morality should be a core of your personality and a desire to be a good person and not fuck people over, not dictated by what someone else tells you you -should- do.


you're not a theist but you're not an atheist either. well gee that makes sense.
Undead Molten Llama
#70 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 9:09 PM
I'm flying in to comment on something that Otter said. Again. I'm sorry if I seem to be picking on you, Otter. I'm really not. It's just that you often say things that make me ponder (at length) and that give me yet more pause and concern about how Christians and Christianity generally tend to be perceived and what people seem to think that "Christianity" is about. I tend to like to try to explain things when that happens. So, Otter said:

Quote:
This is one of the things I really hate about many Christian doctrines--that you can be "saved" if you believe, no matter how ROTTEN a person you might be.

This makes it pretty crystal clear to me that the whole idea was invented by humans--it's easy to sell an idea that has such an easy escape clause. God forbid you should preach that people must be good people to be saved.


The reason it isn't "preached" that one must be "good" to be saved is this: Christian thinking is that you don't have to be good to be saved, no, but also that salvation is just the very first step in one's life as a Christian. It's not the end of the road, not the ultimate goal. Salvation makes one a "new man," as Scripture says, wholly different than the one who existed prior to salvation. That "new man" then embarks on a new walk, a new life, which indeed lasts for the rest of one's life and involves the believer's salvation making the believer "better." (Because the belief is that no human being can be "good," at least not by God's standards, and in that sense we are all on equal footing because in God's eyes there is no sin greater than any other.) The overall idea of salvation is that one comes to Christ willingly, becomes saved, and THEN, after that, as the fruit of one's "new life," one goes forth to do the "good" that God gives one the strength to do.

So, what we think of as "goodness" isn't a requirement for salvation but, if one goes about things the right way, such "goodness" is the result of salvation. As an example, from my life: I am a past victim of rape, as I've said before if you've been reading in this and other threads. After I was saved, I eventually felt called to do prison ministry/counseling for, specifically, sex offenders, convicted rapists and child molesters, and I have done some "good" that way. My belief is that I A) Never would have chosen to do this, of my own accord and B) Would not have had the strength to do so, without God and without allowing Him to change my heart. (I once hated rapists and thought that child molesters deserved...horrible things.) But my heart has changed; I hate no one and believe that even the lowest can be saved...and I credit God for that change in attitude, not me. So now I do "good" toward these people that current society believes to be amongst the lowest of the low not to "earn salvation" (because I already have that) but rather to become the person that I am supposed to be. I do not say any of this to "blow my own horn" but merely to show how God changes lives AFTER one is saved, NOT before. (Which isn't to say that people can't do good without being saved. Of course they can and do, often! It's just that, for some of us, we find our life's work via God and not without Him and, for some of us, we can't let go of things that are better left behind without God's help.) God changed me, changed my cherished prejudices which I thought entirely justifiable because I had been hurt, and through me He has changed the lives of a few of these offenders. This is how God works, and I am honored and very humbled to be a part of it...but one must be willing to let Him do such work in oneself, to go where He leads rather than to do what one wants or what one thinks is best. Not every person, much less not every Christian, will allow that to happen. There is a song by a Christian singer/songwriter that I have always liked, that I play and sing often as part of my own personal prayer. The first verse goes like this:

Got a stack of books so I could learn how to live;
Many are left half-read, covered by the cobwebs on my shelf.
Got a list of laws growing longer everyday;
If I keep pluggin' away, maybe one day I'll perfect myself.
Oh, but all of my labor seems to be in vain;
And all of my laws just cause me more pain;
So I fall before you in all of my shame;
Ready and willing to be changed


THAT is the attitude that Christians are supposed to have: "Ready and willing to be changed." Not just "to change" but "to BE changed," and that "be" is scary because it means that the change is not always or entirely under one's own control. Now, there are many, MANY Christians out there who say they believe in Jesus as the Son of God and who are therefore are saved. There are, I feel, many who really don't believe in Jesus but who DO believe that they can fool God as easily as they can fool people. There are also those who say that they are saved and who may genuinely believe in Jesus as the Son of God, but who do not allow for change in their lives, who cling to their "previous" lives, and so...may or may not be saved; I honestly don't know and can't say because that's not my job, as a Christian.

But fortunately, regardless, there are indicators of whether or not someone who says they're saved is truly "letting God in," so to speak. Guess what those indicators are? Their "works," the things that they say and do. This is quite clearly spelled out throughout most of the New Testament but most obviously in Galatians 5:

Quote:
The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.


Now, according to Scripture, we all have a "sinful nature," even after being saved. It is simply who we are, or if you take Genesis literally, what we chose. The point of salvation, according to Christianity, is not that one suddenly becomes sinless and perfect because that doesn't and more importantly CAN'T happen. What does happen is that one receives help -- that being the indwelling of the Holy Spirit -- to overcome one's nature and to live as God wishes us to live, IF one is open to be changed. (Again, not just "to change" but "to BE changed.") The point is that those who are saved and who are allowing God to work in their lives will indeed show more and more of the "fruit of the Spirit" and less and less of their "sinful nature" as time goes on. It is nothing less than a guarantee. In general, the more "fruit" they have, the closer they are to God.

So, I advise all of you who complain about "Christians," no matter where they live, to look to this Scripture because it applies to every last Christian around the world. It is the measuring stick by which anyone, Christian or otherwise, can size up anyone calling themselves Christian. If a Christian shows more of the qualities of a sinful nature than they show of the qualities of a Spirit-filled life, then they are failing as a Christian, even if they are and remain saved.

So yes, you can be saved even if you are rotten...but if you are saved and do what you are supposed to do, you will generally not remain rotten. That's the thing. In fact, that's the entire point. In short, salvation is supposed to be rehabilitation, not an "easy out." Because if my own life is any indication, it's actually "easier" to not be saved because what happens afterward is often not "easy" at all.

So I'm taking another stab at documenting a neighborhood. This one stars Benjamin Long. Pathetic attempts at humor can be found here.
I caved and made myself a Simblr. Woe is me. There are downloads available there that aren't here on MTS because I'm lazy that way.
Test Subject
#71 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 9:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanito
If you dont wanna break the laws of your faith.. you should stone your wife at the wedding night if shes not a virgin, you should cut out your eye if you look at a woman lustfully, you should kill your children who curse at you, kill gay men, kill witches, kill unbelievers, kill people of other religions. Furthemore you should kill anyone that commits adultery and Jesus refers to remarriage as adultery too. And kill wallmart people that work on sunday.

So.. you are either a serial killer... or just a christian on paper.


Remarriage is considered adultery in the Bible because people get divorced when marriage is supposed to be for life and then they get remarried and have sex with that person. I was kind of suprised when I read this, but it makes sense. When you marry someone you pledge yourself to them for life, including with your body. (I'm going to remain a virgin until i am married because I believe that sex is God's gift to married couples and because I want to give that ultimate gift to my husband.) Anyway, so divorcing them and doing someone else isn't exactly right. I believe that a justified divorce is when someone is abused in the marriage or cheated on repeatedly. Then I think that since their original spouse didn't respect them and obviously wasn't commited to the relationship that finding someone new that you could spend your life with is justified.
The Bible also talks about marriage. It says that if you aren't married, stay that way. But if you cannot resist temptation (sex) then get married. Makes sense to me, but I want to get married I'm not just interested in sex.
Alot of that murder stuff was found in the Old Testament I'm guessing? We're different people that those who were around before Christ so they had different rules. We don't abide by those but we learn from the stories in the OT. Except for the Jewish religion. They reject the NT claiming Jesus was a prophet and not the Messiah. I'm just stating what I know.
Scholar
#72 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 9:46 PM
There are many version of christianity. While some believe that 'believing' and worshipping god, and asking for forgiveness gets you in heaven, other versions think you must live a good live to go there.

Just like the debate of wether jesus is the son of god or is god himself, christianity varies from place to place in what it believes.


"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Undead Molten Llama
#73 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 9:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanito
There are many version of christianity. While some believe that 'believing' and worshipping god, and asking for forgiveness gets you in heaven, other versions think you must live a good live to go there.

Just like the debate of wether jesus is the son of god or is god himself, christianity varies from place to place in what it believes.


You are indeed correct, Vanito, that there are many "versions" of Christianity. They're called "denominations." A Catholic has different beliefs than a Lutheran who has different beliefs than a Baptist who has different beliefs than a Mormon, etc. Beyond that, individuals even within the same denomination have different interpretations of different specific issues and different specific Scriptures. That's the result of people, you know, thinking. Of people NOT being sheep.

This is precisely why I bristle when you go off saying things like "USA Christians believe 'X'," as if we all believe the same things. Hardly! "USA Christians" have beliefs every bit as diverse as Christians in any other place in the world. It's just that our media and, apparently, the media in other countries like to focus on specific individuals who have "newsworthy" beliefs that get emotions flaring and ratings pouring in. Yippee.

For a Christian, I think the key to finding the truth is putting aside what you think is right or what you are told is correct and getting to know God for yourself. At least, that's what has worked for me.

So I'm taking another stab at documenting a neighborhood. This one stars Benjamin Long. Pathetic attempts at humor can be found here.
I caved and made myself a Simblr. Woe is me. There are downloads available there that aren't here on MTS because I'm lazy that way.
Instructor
#74 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeastmode
But if you cannot resist temptation (sex) then get married. Makes sense to me.


You see, this I find ludicrous. I've seen this opinion shared around the internet among Christians and I can't believe anyone can think it's a good idea to get married because they're too eager to move on to the "sex" part.
I've seen young teenagers complaining on Christian message boards that they are having a hard time with their relationship and feel very tempted to have sex - and people there are actually advising them to just get married as soon as possible and poof!- problem solved.
Getting married is supposed to be about having a future together, growing old and all that. When you're controlled by your hormones you're probably going to make a mistake if you marry the first person you're tempted to sleep with.
Instructor
#75 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCad
I'm flying in to comment on something that Otter said. Again. I'm sorry if I seem to be picking on you, Otter. I'm really not. It's just that you often say things that make me ponder (at length) and that give me yet more pause and concern about how Christians and Christianity generally tend to be perceived and what people seem to think that "Christianity" is about. I tend to like to try to explain things when that happens.


I think we have established that we have a mutual respect and healthy discourse so Please! Feel free to pick on me anytime!

I appreciate what you said about being saved, and I understand about accepting Christ being the first step--and then you have to go on to try and live up to that ideal. It just seems like such a "get out of jail free card." Let's say you are awful awful person during your life--and on your deathbed you say "Jesus, come into my heart! I was wrong all along and I accept you!" or whatever it is. Scot free--into heaven.

But ME--who gave up god at age 29 after 12 years of struggle. Who gives to charity, who volunteers time, who never passes a flat tire on the interstate--who does her best to fill her students with the thirst for knowledge--who has never knowingly hurt another being in the last 37 years (because I am supremely regretful of the time I did) -- I have to go to hell because I don't accept the idea of a deity?

I have extreme respect for your life--you have been through things that are amazingly tough and you have come out of it not bitter, but with a zest for life--how wonderful! And if "God" helped you get there, then okay!

But I really struggle with the idea that I--a person who really tries to do good all day long-- would be consigned to eternal punishment because I don't believe in one thing.

Edit to Jooxis--apparently that's why Bella married Edward. He wouldn't boff her until they tied the knot.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 23
Back to top