Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 3:19 PM
Default Railroads???
why DOES CAD HAVE A RAILROAD BRIDGE AND A RAILROAD CROSSING, EVEN A OLD TRAIN YET NO RAILROAD TRACK OR RAILROAD SYSTEMS TO USE OR RUN??? is THERE A WAY TO MESH IN A SIM RAILROAD?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 3:48 PM
Because having a working railroad system is a lot more difficult than making a few decorative items. You may be able to make some decorative items to make a more extensive railroad system, but even then it wouldn't be functional, and it'd be a BIG job.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by catanzariti247
why DOES CAD HAVE A RAILROAD BRIDGE AND A RAILROAD CROSSING, EVEN A OLD TRAIN YET NO RAILROAD TRACK OR RAILROAD SYSTEMS TO USE OR RUN??? is THERE A WAY TO MESH IN A SIM RAILROAD?

CAW does have tracks, you just need to activate them.

If you look here on MTS you can find a package which will enabled the tracks so you can make a railroad.

But the hard thing is make it anything but static, but if you want to use it as a decor its possible.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 1:18 PM Last edited by Arisuka : 23rd Apr 2011 at 2:41 AM.
I discovered this article a while ago. I'm a bit bummed because the person doesn't say whether or not the train actually moves (they do say 'animated train' though), because when I've tried this method, I do get the train and the sound of it, but it doesn't move anywhere. I tried it in my regular game on a lot in Sunset Valley.
This effect is from EP1 made for France. I'm curious to know, how the train looks like in there. I haven't really played in France so I don't know yet.
I'm making an industrial city, with big railroads going through the city. That's why I'm eager to get this animated train working. And if it doesn't, maybe I'll just put the effect in there because the sound is pretty cool because you can hear if from further away in the world.

Would anyone else be interested in trying the fog emitter's animated train effect? It would be interesting to see if anyone will get it function properly!

---------------------------------------

Update:

Okay I have now discovered the following. You can get the old steam train work as a animated, moving, full-on sound making, honking and steaming train! I put a fog emitter on a lot, then typed in command traininter. The train appeared immediately, and started moving straight ahead after entering play mode. It goes a pretty long way, and then disappears. I thought the animation would only be for one time, but after TWO DAYS the animation was repeated from the beginning! Damn I jumped on my seat as I didn't believe it would repeat, and I was doing other things...
Anyway, you can get animated trains now! And they seem to appear randomly or every two days. I still gotta investigate that one better.

Update again:

Okay the trains appear randomly, I got four (and they just keep coming) appearances in one sim day. Man I jumped again...
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd May 2011 at 5:38 PM
ep1train works too, and those spawn more often
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd May 2011 at 7:56 PM Last edited by Arisuka : 2nd May 2011 at 9:09 PM.
Okay, cool! I wonder if there's some kind of difference between the two commands, like maybe the command ep1train requires WA to be installed to show up...? Anyway, it's great that both commands actually work! Now it would be good to test out the spawning more throughly, to see if there's some specific pace going on... *goes off to do some more testing*

Some results:

I played for over two sim-weeks on a lot with two spawners, both with different commands, traininter and ep1train. A train spawned immediately after putting in traininter, but I got no signs from ep1train at all. After that, I got no trains whatsoever from either of the spawners. I played on other lots, came back to the original lot, saved, exited the game, reloaded, but no trains appeared at any point.
After that, I started another game and played for five sim-days. No trains showed up.
This is kind of a setback... Maybe the effect is completely and utterly random? If you'd be willing Armi, could you do some further testing with the spawners? I'll keep on testing too, this whole thing seems rather confusing now...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 2nd May 2011 at 9:40 PM
If you use the method in this thread:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=429946
Then you can get the neighourhood train effect from France into your world, as yeabil did. This way you don't have to put the train on a lot for it to work, and it seems continuous.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 2nd May 2011 at 10:26 PM
Stw402 did a continuous train in Exotic World last summer. He explains what he did in his "Building a world Part 1-6". The info is about halfway down the tut.

http://builders.forumotion.net/t100...-world-part-1-6
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#9 Old 3rd May 2011 at 12:24 AM
auntielynds That is the method which requires the effect to be placed on a lot (the same as Armi and I talked about before). :/

simsample Thank you so much for the link, that seems to be exactly the thing needed for this!
So basically for the train effect to be part of a world, you need to extract the desired effect from the world it is included in (in this case, France), then you just move the desired effect's file from that world into the custom world using s3pe? Sounds simple and very handy!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 3rd May 2011 at 12:39 AM
There must be a better way- I'd like to find out how to make these objects buyable, but I can't seem to find their OBJDs in any of the game files. So until someone figures that out, this is the way to do it- import the file from another world, as you rightly deduced. If you wish to have more than one train in a world then you would need to import the object twice without overwriting, and then change the ID number of one in the WDET and OBJN of the layer file.
Test Subject
#11 Old 4th May 2011 at 12:06 AM
This is the file for the train, it's selectable in caw and in game under landmarks.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i3d21...package.package

I actual made this file for my current world I'm building but never got around to using the object in the end.

Place the object in you mod folder like any other custom object, it should work. It works the same way Simsample made the "Various In-Game Objects enabled for World Creation" found here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=427515
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 4th May 2011 at 5:09 PM
Thanks Stw- I couldn't see that in the game files, you must have sharper eyes than I do! Great job.

(For those that don't know, Tamlo is Stw402 who wrote the linked tutorial above)
Test Subject
#13 Old 4th May 2011 at 5:37 PM
The train object, I've not got around to test the animation yet, you will probable need to go in game to do that, I can tell you I'm currently working on compilation of objects to be used in Caw, the objects are taken from all the EP's so far, it will be a compilation of objects not a full set, you will able to add about 100 extra objects into caw when I release this. It will also include extra sound files, treasure spawners to be used in caw. Most of this can already be done, it will just save you the trouble of doing it yourself.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#14 Old 4th May 2011 at 6:22 PM
I did some more testing on the ep1train, and I have to say it works like a charm. What's different on it compared to traininter, is that it doesn't spawn at the same point the emitter is on, but some way away from it, so that's why it may have not "worked" for Ari (i assume you looked very closely and therefore did not see the train spawning further away.)

The ep1train spawns indeed some distance away from the emitter, then it travels towards the emitter, and about same distance away from it again. Then 2-8 hours later, it does it again.
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#15 Old 4th May 2011 at 7:20 PM Last edited by Arisuka : 4th May 2011 at 7:48 PM.
Hmm, the lot I tested these in, was in a 'tiny' world map, so maybe that had something to do with it? I dunno, I didn't see it anywhere though I looked to the distance, closely and from further away... D: I'll test again... Does the ep1train appear immediately after entering the command? Could you maybe take a screenshot of the distance where it appears from the emitter?
Test Subject
#16 Old 4th May 2011 at 9:42 PM
The ep1train works several hours after you place the emitter, to test the train yourself place the emitter and then save your test world and enter the game, before you go rushing to where you located the emitter, save your game and exit back to the main menu, some of the emitters don't seem to work correctly the first time you load in a world, so exit to the main menu, this will allow the world to correctly read the emitter the next time you load in the world.

Next load in your test world and start a new game, while the game is running, move the camera to where you located the emitter you should very shortly start to see the train.

A little old this pic, but you can still see the train in action, I placed 2 emitters next to the old broken train station and if you look carefully you can actual see a second train coming out of the tunnel

Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#17 Old 6th May 2011 at 2:59 PM
Tamlo31

Oh yeah, I noticed that many of the world effects (such as the science facility's smoke and drainpipes' spill water) weren't working in Twinbrooks when I went to test the train effect in there, and it's apparently why I didn't spot the train in France either... Well, it's good to know that at some point they will eventually kick in. :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 16th May 2011 at 9:36 PM
Great picture Tamlo!
In case people haven't seen them, the objects Tamlo liberated are posted here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441902