Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#51 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 1:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
No one at MATY downloads files for the heck of it. No matter what the date reads, there is always an ongoing thread about AwesomeMod where you can find all the info you seek in there. I think the problem with a lot of Simmers who creep out as soon as they hear "MATY" is that they are too lazy to search and read threads - and this is also the reason they get bullied by other forum members.

Well, sifting through a million posts that just say 'lurk moar!' and 'GTFO tard' trying to find useful information is a pain. When I was using awesome mod, I personally had no problems asking questions and posting on their forum, because I'm used to their culture.
But I stopped playing Sims for awhile, and when I came back, I just didn't want to read through pages and pages of MATY schoolyard crap trying to keep up with changes to the mod. And, no, not all the changes are listed on the download thread.
Add to that the undocumented and unconfigurable features of awesome mod, I just stopped using it and never looked back.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 6:06 PM
I have had both and if you want everyone to do what you want while you're not playing them you will want the Awesome mod. Twallan is what I ended up with. It is more flexable and more interesting situations happen--on their own. I'm very happy with my choice. You do have to mind your "p's and Q's" over at Maty. It is better to lurk and find your answer.

[SIZE=3]
"I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?"

~Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986
[/SIZE]
Field Researcher
#53 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 5:15 AM
Agreed. I prefer Twallan's mods, simply because I don't want core mods in my games. Besides the fact that I find Twallan's mods more flexible, and the only thing that AM has that I love is that it fixes core-bugs, I can live with those left-out bugs, they are meaningless or fixable at best. Twallan + AM is the best combo, yet, the fact that if I remove AM my save games become corrupt = nty. I can control anything with Twallan, or not, and it, as well as AM, simulates and uses specific options that trigger specific events. Any of them or both will make the game immensely better. And if you don't mind core mods, then by all means get both.

"And every now and then people find the bugs, and they interpret those as cool failures in the Sims terms. For them it's like a treasure hunt, you know." Will Wright

The thing you have to love about the Sims community ----->Its creativity.
Instructor
#54 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 5:41 AM
Actually between Awesomemod and Twallan's mods is a hard decision. Both are great!

There are advantages and disadvantages between 2 great mods. I just hope they can work together.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 5:53 AM
I use Twallan's mods for everything. The irrational hacker in me dislikes core mods like AM, and the lazy gamer in me likes the easy config options in Twallan's work, so it's win-win all around. Also, first-brand loyalty; Back when I was new to game modding in general, SuperComputer (predecessor of MasterController) sounded safe and useful, especially in comparison to Awesome, which IMO is more subjective and controlling.
Field Researcher
#56 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 6:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tasselcat
I use Twallan's mods for everything. The irrational hacker in me dislikes core mods like AM, and the lazy gamer in me likes the easy config options in Twallan's work, so it's win-win all around. Also, first-brand loyalty; Back when I was new to game modding in general, SuperComputer (predecessor of MasterController) sounded safe and useful, especially in comparison to Awesome, which IMO is more subjective and controlling.

Couldn't have said it better myself. +1

"And every now and then people find the bugs, and they interpret those as cool failures in the Sims terms. For them it's like a treasure hunt, you know." Will Wright

Inventor
#57 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 8:34 AM
Not to sound stupid - but which version of Awesomemod are you guys using? Because I have generations and the 1.22 patch and when I got to the AM thread at MATY there is an old version of the mod which doesn't indicate that it is compatible with generations.

I have used Twallans SP mod but the new one (I used the base and the expanded version) created a lag on my PC even though it has pretty good specs. I tried to track down lag issues and configured SP but it didn't help. I also got many script errors and so I decided to live without until a new update will fix this. I would like to use awesome, but as I said I haven't found a newer version. I searched the MATY forums and when someone asks questions that I also would like to be answered they are all ranting and bashing like little kids. I mean it's funny in some way and Pes comments are hilarious and entertaining but if you want just simple support you are on your own. That's the only downside for me when using awesome.

As for Twallans mods I have to say that they get more and more complex. He constantly adds new features which means that we have to update to the latest version quite often. And sometimes it happens, that I than have problems with the newer version. It's good that new features are added constantly but it would be good to provide more simple (older) mods too. And on the other hand it would be great if there was a mod that brings together all his mods, or a selection of them.

But either way, both Twallans and Pescados mods are a great addition to the game and it's great to have a variety we can choose from.

You never know what’s comin’ for ya.
Test Subject
#58 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 1:26 PM
Twallan's mods & core are better, and is much easier to tweak and edit as well.

The awesome mod IS more powerful & quite functional, but frankly the author was raving mad when he did it.
Field Researcher
#59 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by himawara106
Not to sound stupid - but which version of Awesomemod are you guys using? Because I have generations and the 1.22 patch and when I got to the AM thread at MATY there is an old version of the mod which doesn't indicate that it is compatible with generations.

I have used Twallans SP mod but the new one (I used the base and the expanded version) created a lag on my PC even though it has pretty good specs. I tried to track down lag issues and configured SP but it didn't help. I also got many script errors and so I decided to live without until a new update will fix this. I would like to use awesome, but as I said I haven't found a newer version. I searched the MATY forums and when someone asks questions that I also would like to be answered they are all ranting and bashing like little kids. I mean it's funny in some way and Pes comments are hilarious and entertaining but if you want just simple support you are on your own. That's the only downside for me when using awesome.

As for Twallans mods I have to say that they get more and more complex. He constantly adds new features which means that we have to update to the latest version quite often. And sometimes it happens, that I than have problems with the newer version. It's good that new features are added constantly but it would be good to provide more simple (older) mods too. And on the other hand it would be great if there was a mod that brings together all his mods, or a selection of them.

But either way, both Twallans and Pescados mods are a great addition to the game and it's great to have a variety we can choose from.

Pescado did already release a version of AM for generations. I don't use AM so i can't tell you which version.

The lag that you may encounter is because of the SP handling so many things of so many inactive sims at the same time. It is hard on your performance. I run the sims 3 with all graphic options set at max, and I get a bit of more lag with the mod. There's no way to keep it simpler, how much simpler do u want it to be lol? it's simple option/click.

AM's flaw isn't the forum, since the forums isn't part of AM's functionality, that would be a flaw in the AM's community instead(but you guys have to admit it is damn funny to read the forums over there). I haven't found any downside for neither, I mean any REAL downside (i've had crashes with AM and script errors with twallans sometimes), and the fact that AM is core-mod is a flaw for ME, since like they say, once you save with AM, you have to live with AM for the eternity. Hence why I prefer XML/Injector mods, I can reset and remove them and keep on going and not get any mod attached to my save file.

Inventor
#60 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 8:35 PM
@jcalispupo01: Actually I found today what was causing this extreme lag. I checked with Master Controller how many sims I have and I had 99 service stuff NPCs. So I deleted them all and installed the register mod to manually select sims from the world filling the roles. And now it works better again although I get some script errors when I play.

You never know what’s comin’ for ya.
Field Researcher
#61 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by himawara106
@jcalispupo01: Actually I found today what was causing this extreme lag. I checked with Master Controller how many sims I have and I had 99 service stuff NPCs. So I deleted them all and installed the register mod to manually select sims from the world filling the roles. And now it works better again although I get some script errors when I play.

Glad you corrected the errors. Script errors are usually the common bugs of EA, and if you use the core mod called ErrorTrap (excellent mod for correcting/avoiding bugs) you may get a lot depending on the mods you use, but you can disable being notified without any harm done. Because the tiniest of bugs will be reported, the difference with playing with and without these mods is, that you don't get the bugs reported in a file. You can just attach the scripterrors and report them to twallan if it concerns you and he'll tell you what's the error.

P.S: I personally almost never pay attention to them as long as my game runs smooth and with no weird bugs. It is good to report them though so that twallan can improve the following version.
And I said earlier I disliked core-mods, but the fact is, you can use ErrorTrap and remove it without any harm to your saved game, and it's only function is remove/trap bugs that might render your saved game unload able.

Lab Assistant
#62 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 11:04 PM
Well, I don't think I was quite fair when I first reviewed Twallan's mod. Had forgotten I just deleted my cache before that load-up, my game doesn't hang nearly as much now. That being said, I really like the story progression, and the expanded careers, and the personalities.
I really love the personalities and how my "Town Bully" teen is now a protégé of the "Town Thug." I do wonder if the "Town Robin" will could eventually even the cash of eveybody into obsolescence. What if you made a town and everyone had a default amount of money? Would robin just stay inactive?

I did take the woohooer out of my game at Twallan's suggestion that its incompatible with AM. I'm guessing it has to do with the consequences of adult+younger than young adult relationships that's enforced by AM.
Field Researcher
#63 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Either way, you can choose to use AwesomeMod for its other features and use Twallanian Story Module anyway: AwesomeMod will recognize when you installed the Twallanian story driver and let it take over. It comes down to whether you want pretty stories, or a game.

...pretty stories or a game? Seriously? Both mods make the game 100x better, if u want a game, you'd want any of the two or both. And actually, your supposed "pretty stories", most of them DO happen, and the gossips and stories are based on actual actions that occur.

But you are right indeed, with AM you have no assurance that your actions will run the city down to dirt. Just try using AM and removing it, there you go, your actions caused ur city to be unloadable. /joking

P.S: Is it just me or did anyone else notice how that post was bashing Twallan SP?

Test Subject
#64 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 12:37 AM
I prefer Twallan's mods. I first switched over to them and really enjoyed it but I wanted to try AM and see which one I preferred. AM actually broke my game a bit. It slowed down completely and became very choppy and plain painful to play. Removing it and re-installing Twallan's mod made my game a dream again. Never going back. AM is very powerful but I prefer the more "user friendly" Twallan mod's. I also really like the fact that I change my settings while playing.
Forum Resident
#65 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jcalispupo01
And actually, your supposed "pretty stories", most of them DO happen, and the gossips and stories are based on actual actions that occur.

P.S: Is it just me or did anyone else notice how that post was bashing Twallan SP?

I don't think Pescado was bashing Twallan story at all.. he was just stating that they have different goals. Twallan himself has said this, it's no secret, it's actually in his description of the SP mod. Albeit it was said a little sarcastically.. but this is Pescado we're talking about.

Also, Pescado is right. They are stories. The stories aren't based on actions that occur, the actions occur because after Nraas SP has generated the story, it pushes the Sim's involved to go and act it out.

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Field Researcher
#66 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 2:53 AM Last edited by jcalispupo01 : 18th Jun 2011 at 3:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by severedsolo
I don't think Pescado was bashing Twallan story at all.. he was just stating that they have different goals. Twallan himself has said this, it's no secret, it's actually in his description of the SP mod. Albeit it was said a little sarcastically.. but this is Pescado we're talking about.

Also, Pescado is right. They are stories. The stories aren't based on actions that occur, the actions occur because after Nraas SP has generated the story, it pushes the Sim's involved to go and act it out.

Therefore, if the sims act it out, they are not merely stories, they occur, only difference is, you get the notification before it happens. I rather have an entertaining game that generates cool stories that actually happen than something else. But I get ur point, they are not stories based on actions. However, a better choice of words would be that twallan's sp mod is for people who want a living interesting neighborhood.

Stating that one mod is for ppl who want a game and other for those who want pretty stories is pretty stupid, why? because both give you a more SOLID and ENTERTAINING game. And calisims already stated the rest.

P.S: Maybe Pescado meant something else, but whatever he meant, he chose the completely wrong words, and yes, we never forget its Pescado we are talking about

Test Subject
#67 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 4:27 AM
I think both mods are lovely.
I'd been using AwesomeMod up until recently, because it hasn't been working with the Generations patch, so in the meantime, I tried out Twallan's mod(s) yesterday, and I think it's great!! I'll probably be getting AwesomeMod again once it updates, but I think I'm going to be keeping some of Twallan's mods in my game.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#68 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 7:37 AM
While it's a bit futile to make assumptions about what one user meant by saying what they said, you have to remember that the early versions of twallan's SP were really just "pretty stories". I.e. messages and notifications and an eventual re-writing of the set-up of the town. I don't know when twallan changed that to have those stories finally act out but what Pescado described is what twallan's SP initially was about. Basically, it used to be an enhanced version of EA's default story progression.
So, maybe Pescado just wasn't completely up-to-date in this case.
Forum Resident
#69 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 8:02 AM
For everyone who said you can't uninstall Awesomemod: you can. You type 'uninstall' in the cheat bar for whatever saves you want to keep BEFORE you remove it, and then you can continue them. Many of Twallan's mods require you to reset the entire town before you remove them, so it's hardly such a big difference.

For me, the story progression difference is for whether you want to play with lots of families in one save or just one (or maybe two or three). From what I've seen of it, Twallan's SP gives the other sims in the neighbourhood lots of interesting stories, but if a lot of the story-telling is being done by you, Awesomestory is better at letting the rest of the town be the 'boring, ordinary' people - and setting the other sims as 'chosen' makes them stay the same. At least, I find that.

I also like that Awesomemod is one thing that does everything I want it to, and I don't have to get lots of different mods and configure them, and I also find Awesomemod global configuration MUCH easier. That's not to say I don't use Twallan's mods - Relativity and Porter are great and very useful.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 8:16 AM
I have Twallan's story progression and master controller, and frankly, I love them. They haven't caused any lag in my game, even though my computer isn't exactly the newest, fastest or with the best graphics card. I love how you can change how story progression treats the town, households or even separate sims. I love setting it to fast speeds and a lot of the time, I end up playing just to watch what's going on in the neighborhood. Master controller is great too, I love being able to change my sims if I want or use it to look up information on a sim's pregnancy. If your computer can take it, you should go for it.

I haven't tried Awesomemod as I'm fairly new to using mods and core mods scare me a little. When I first tried mods on ts2, they caused my game to crash and burn (Presumably due to my ignorance about mods and how they can conflict. I was pretty young at the time.) I'm glad I decided to go out on a limb to try mods for ts3, but I still nervous about core mods. Anyway, I'm not going to knock awesomemod until I try it.
Instructor
#71 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 8:27 AM
When I had awesomemod, game had a lot of bugs and run very slow. Twallan's mods are much better. I have Master Controller, DebugEnabler, Story Progression, woohoower, Porter, overwatch.... I didn't see any bugs in may game, after installing those mods So I vote for Twallan.
Field Researcher
#72 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 2:34 PM
I was mod free up until Generations and now my game will not run AT ALL without ErrorTrap, Master Controller, and Overwatch. I don't know what these mods do to fix my game, but prior to installing all three at once, my game would freeze completely within 2 minutes of play time. So twallan, I have to thank you for saving my game.

I tried Story Progression but unfortunately I don't have the patience to take the time and learn/jigger the settings so I'm doing without for now. But I literally could not run my game without the above three mods.
Instructor
#73 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 2:49 PM
When I was still sort of new to modding and stuff, Awesomemod scared me. >.< MATY still scares me. But yeah, it was just the way people on the site were and the whole thing about how 'once you've installed it you can't delete it without it messing up your game' (not true, by the way). I used Twallan's SuperComputer and StoryProgression for a good year or so, then decided I wanted to try Awesomemod. I installed it, tried to start my game, and it crashed. I still to this day have no idea why. So I got rid of it, but then decided to try it again a few months later. It was okay, but I still much preferred Twallan's mods. I deleted it a few weeks ago when I was clearing out all my old mods, and can't see myself ever using it again. I think I'll stick to MasterController for now. And SP. And Careers. And Overwatch. And Woohooer. Yeah, you get the picture... >.<

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#74 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 3:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCarey
For everyone who said you can't uninstall Awesomemod: you can. You type 'uninstall' in the cheat bar for whatever saves you want to keep BEFORE you remove it, and then you can continue them. Many of Twallan's mods require you to reset the entire town before you remove them, so it's hardly such a big difference.
Yes, and the reason is the same: If you yank out a thing a sim is using, your save becomes unloadable. That's why the initial "don't uninstall carelessly" warning was issued, and an "uninstall" command added for that purpose.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#75 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 3:33 PM
JM, is there any proper documentation on Awesomemod's features and commands somewhere? Something other than a long discussion thread - more a manual? I know you don't tend to document but surely one or more of your minions has taken on the task.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Locked thread | Locked by: simsample Reason: Descending into a debate about rudeness.
Page 3 of 15