Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#26 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 6:47 PM
What would we be doing without glitches. Great work Tee. This is something I will never ever use. So much work and so little benefit.
Advertisement
mature minion
retired moderator
#27 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
What would we be doing without glitches. Great work Tee. This is something I will never ever use. So much work and so little benefit.

Ha ha, thanks!

Both for the praise and the amusing comment :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#28 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 10:22 PM
Thanks for that, Tee Hee Hee!
dodgy builder
#29 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 12:10 PM
I can't make this work. Have tried several times. What am I doing wrong? When I try removing pieces of the basement it allowes 1 wall open, but then it always add the 2'nd wall.

By skaribanan at 2011-10-05

By skaribanan at 2011-10-05
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#30 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 1:35 PM
I couldn't make it work either. I just put a "too stupid" sticker on myself

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
mature minion
retired moderator
#31 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that technically you don't need to remove the walls, you could build a much larger basement and hide the height gap that way. I just removed the ones near to the window for the convenience of not having to slope my basement away and/or reduce the cost of the lot for the same effect.
dodgy builder
#32 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 9:14 PM
Hm ... I can try adding some basement much lower.

I'm never stupid, and neither are you Sometimes I just attack the challenge from the wrong angle, or think too much. That's life *eating popcorn*
mature minion
retired moderator
#33 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 9:32 AM
Hm ... I can try adding some basement much lower.

I'm never stupid, and neither are you Sometimes I just attack the challenge from the wrong angle, or think too much. That's life *eating popcorn*

I've just realised a MUCH MUCH easier way of removing the walls, can't believe I've been doing this the hard way for so long "herp derp"

We already had a really quick and simple method for removing basement walls from this thread and this one!

Using the pool tool press ctrl and drag out a pool delete area touching the basement wall you want to remove. This will take the wall off the basement easy peasy

Can't believe I've been doing this in such an awkward way when we had this method
dodgy builder
#34 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 6:02 PM
I have made it with the pool tool trick. I think the first option you made was something I lost in an expantion or patch, because I do think I had it at some point. Making this was more or less the same as the open to ground basement, just adding the stairs on the inside. I have some troubles with stresswalls, hope I can get rid of them.

Anyways i didn't like those floating stairs. So I made a slightly different option. The bottom basement behind the stairs will not be useable I think, but that doesn't bother me. Some pictures.

Bottom: Nice little seating area infront of the stairs. Nothing behind it.

By skaribanan at 2011-10-15

Bottom basement pic: Added more basement at the back, to make more room above, I think

First floor: Can make good rooms behind the stairs. Just have to make sure the roof is high enough.

2 floor: Perhaps a roof terrace

mature minion
retired moderator
#35 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 6:18 PM
Anyways i didn't like those floating stairs. So I made a slightly different option. The bottom basement behind the stairs will not be useable I think, but that doesn't bother me.

I've found an even better work around for the stairs too now

I don't know if anyone remembers an old glitch to cause a ground cut out to remain after you get rid of the stairs? Well I just thought about how useful it would be and now applied it here. Essentially it involved placing your stairs into the basement, then building foundation one square back from the top of the stairs.

After that you build a second staircase down from the foundation to the top of the basement stairs (it will look like one long flight now)

To get the four square long cut out of the ground to remain simply delete the basement stairs first then delete the stairs from the foundation to ground level

*CAUTION* the only way to reverse this is by the undo button or replacing the stairs and deleting them in the opposite order so be careful not to break your precious lots :D
dodgy builder
#36 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 12:27 PM
I need a picture of that option Tee, very curious
mature minion
retired moderator
#37 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 12:56 PM
I'll do a quick picture tutorial later today (after a big roast lunch!), its completely changed how I'm going about this whole thing :D
mature minion
retired moderator
#38 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 5:52 PM Last edited by Tee Hee Hee : 18th Oct 2011 at 6:08 PM.
Hi there everyone, finally back with a quick tutorial on how to remove the floor to create a excavated space for you to use with basements (no more limitations on 4 or 8 wide rooms!)

On with the show!

Hope that helps! When you combine this with the "peaking out basements" and other tricks this has certainly allowed me to create some much more exotic architecture, which may be featuring soon in my uploads...no promises though, busy with real life etc.

Any questions about this feel free to ask

N.B. this is only reversible by the undo button or by replacing both stairs and deleting the higher set first! Don't say I didn't warn you!
#39 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 5:58 PM
I don't understand the function of placing that foundation and removing it? What does it do?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
mature minion
retired moderator
#40 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 6:04 PM
I don't understand the function of placing that foundation and removing it? What does it do?

It allows you to have the cut-out of ground that stairs normally make into a basement without the stairs. So we can don't have to hide the stairs like we did using the earlier technique.

It makes it neater and easier (in the long run)
#41 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 6:43 PM
Lol I'm really not getting this at all You need stairs into the basement don't you, if you want to use it? But you don't need stairs down from a foundation that no longer exists, so why put them in in the first place? Just put the stairs down to the basement and leave them there? If I place a foundation and stairs and delete it again, nothing magic seems to happen to my lot that makes it any easier to have basements poking out of the ground. I still can't do it.

mature minion
retired moderator
#42 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 9:08 PM
Lol I'm really not getting this at all You need stairs into the basement don't you, if you want to use it? But you don't need stairs down from a foundation that no longer exists, so why put them in in the first place? Just put the stairs down to the basement and leave them there? If I place a foundation and stairs and delete it again, nothing magic seems to happen to my lot that makes it any easier to have basements poking out of the ground. I still can't do it.

You need stairs at some point, but you don't want them everywhere down every bit of wall do you?

This allows you to only have stairs where you want them, not where you would otherwise need them to remove the ground. Why don't I go away again and show you a few examples of what this can allow you to do?

P.S. if you're getting confused it's probably not you...far more likely that I'm having my own fully formed thoughts and then not fully explaining them on "paper" here :D
#43 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 9:10 PM
No I think it's me. I didn't understand the original and I haven't understood any of it. I am actually wondering whether I actually understand what the goal is, either. An actual basement made solely with the basement tool, that isn't covered by soil - is that right? Cos usually I just use the foundation method and acheive a similar effect.

mature minion
retired moderator
#44 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 10:37 PM
Essentially the main thing that you can do with this that isn't normally possible is to have a wall separating two different height areas without any need for a buffer square hiding the height difference. You can get a real retaining wall using this effect, and sunken basements that have sloped terrain around them and windows with the bottom below the ground, all sorts of things otherwise impossible to do!

I understood it, but I am not sure I see the benefit of this over using a foundation? I think it would only be preferable if you didn't have to have the extra wall above, if you could have the ground appearing to be on top of the roof without rock camouflage. And then there are the stairs half way up the wall to make it look weird...

Thanks anyway for the tut

That is the bit of the equation this changes...no need for wierd wall hanging stairs!
dodgy builder
#45 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 11:00 PM
Interesting Tee Gonna try that. We beat him to it lolz

I'm in the middle of connecting this thing to a house. Easier said then done. I may use part of your thing, and let some stairs stay in place. Will report back if I get some good idea's.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#46 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 11:18 PM
Thanks for that latest bit, Tee Hee Hee! That's very useful, I wish I had known this when we were working on reproducing Domangcop's basement building in this thread:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=430919

It will be especially handy for building sunken courtyards like this:
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...06125524064.jpg
Without having to have the steps all around.
mature minion
retired moderator
#47 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 11:44 PM
Just to give you a practical example of something new to do with this technique... have a look at this

P.S. there is a roof on there, I was just looking at the wrong level, have a peek at a wider angle!

dodgy builder
#48 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 9:45 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 20th Oct 2011 at 11:24 AM.
My 2 and 3 attempt at this was much more useful.

I just bulldozed this one, perhaps something to regret lol

By skaribanan at 2011-10-18

I like to keep things simple. The house I'm working on now:

By skaribanan at 2011-10-20

On the inside of this house I have a basement livingroom kind of with lights in it. That's something I can't do at least with a foundation. There's no light in a foundation now, not even with regular walls around most of the house. Behind the livingroom in the basement I have more basement with bedrooms in it. The main house will be upstairs. I managed to chop off 1/4 wall somewhere in the basement. I think I know how I did that lol. I have to figure out if I need a fix and how to do it.

Here you see why I keep wanting more of this feature - lights. I'm also trying to figure out a way to get an entrance in there:

By skaribanan at 2011-10-20
mature minion
retired moderator
#49 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 4:36 PM
Nice to see someone else using this trick for building new things! Please show us more as it progresses
dodgy builder
#50 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 5:35 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 20th Oct 2011 at 5:49 PM.
Yes, it's fun to see what people do with it. I like it simple as I said though, so probably not much to show I hope you come up with much more Tee. You are the one to solve the math

I'm not sure I like the effect on the inside. Just a hollow something

Off topic: I'm testing out new smileys lol
http://***/smileys-hug-001.php
Page 2 of 3