Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 12:47 AM
Does anyone know of a site where you can see exactly what content comes with the various stuff packs? I've seen the LGR videos on Youtube, but he doesn't go over every little detail and I'm still trying to figure out if Showtime, Hidden Springs, Outdoor Stuff, or Town Life Stuff are worth the price.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Does anyone know of a site where you can see exactly what content comes with the various stuff packs? I've seen the LGR videos on Youtube, but he doesn't go over every little detail and I'm still trying to figure out if Showtime, Hidden Springs, Outdoor Stuff, or Town Life Stuff are worth the price.

SimsVIP usually shows a preview of some of the content within the addon packs. What you're looking for will be found under the "Game Guides" and "Store Content" menus.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Mad Poster
#53 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 1:34 AM
Thanks! That's awesome!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 3:02 AM
I finally decided on whether to buy GEN or WA and went with GEN..I wish I had made my mind up a few days ago because it's no longer on sale on Amazon, lol. I'm downloading now. I spent a few days weighing the features on both and I think between the two this one has more of what I'm looking for. I can't really afford it and was going to hold off for a while longer, but my impulses got the better of me. :P

When I bought Pets 3 months ago, it didn't work out for me and I had to uninstall it so I was left still wanting an EP and got bored with just having Ambitions and LN. Oh well, I'm only human and my birthday isn't for another 3 and a half months. Hope I'm not disappointed, lol! My PC is only about 18 months old but it seems the newer EPs are too much for my integrated card to handle so that's why I only considered those two.
Test Subject
#55 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 12:15 AM
What is your most favourite/least favourite expansion pack, and why?

Most favorite - This is really hard because it's tied between pets and generations. x _ x I'm just really into the family life and I always wanted to put my pet in the game and have more creatures in the world besides sims, fishes, and bugs. Now, I have deer, strays, wild horses, and the lone unicorn running around. My town seems more lively since the addition of pets. I love having pets in my game, and I think my sims do too since I always see someone playing with the family pet. <3 I like generations because, FINALLY, something for the kids and old people! I guess this expansion means so much to me because I made one of my sims have an imaginary friend and they fell in love and grew up together and it was so beautiful. ;A;

Least favorite - Showtime or World Adventures. World Adventures gets boring after an hour because you just do the same quests over and over again just in a different world. The worlds aren't even that exciting. Like when it came to France, the team should have done Paris instead since the capital city of France has so much MORE to offer! The Eiffel tower has two restaurants and it's so beautiful at night. Not to mention the Louvre! World Adventures is the epitome of lost potential as there were so many things they could have added, but I guess it's cause it's the first expansion pack and they didn't want to take any risks since the expansion already had so many problems, and more problems keep occurring as they release new expansion packs. Seriously, Showtime just broke it. = _ = But the good part is, if you like taking pictures of your sims, there's some nice sights to have photoshoots at.

The reason I don't like Showtime is because it was just blah. It was like Late Night and Ambitions combined, and the singing is always off with the sims. I also find it really stupid that singers can't be added to bands. The only reason I think this is better than WA is because of the new items like the pool table, the raging bull, the karaoke machine, etc.

What is your most favourite/least favourite stuff pack, and why?
I don't buy stuff packs because I don't need them especially when I don't need to rely on stuff packs to make my lots prettier since I the items in expansion packs are enough.

If you could rank how much you like each expansion or stuff pack in order, what would your order be?
Pets
Generations
Late Night
Ambitions
Showtime
World Adventures

If you had to remove an expansion, which one would it be, and why?
World Adventures considering it could have been a whole lot better.
Inventor
#56 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 11:02 PM Last edited by PSDuckie : 15th Aug 2012 at 1:07 AM.
Default Which expansion should I buy?
I stuck with TS2 until Showtime was released because I had a fully EP'd TS2 and none of the EPs for TS3 - then I went out and bought World Adventures and Ambitions and loved them. I've been a TS3 convert ever since and have only used TS2 for videos and stories (none of which have been good enough to put on MTS, but I'm trying!) When Origin gave me a coupon, I immediately used it on Late Night and loved that too.

So here's my question. Which expansion should I buy next? I'm torn between Generations and Pets, though Showtime is also on the table.

The reason I bought the expansions in release order is that TS1 and TS2 required them to be installed in order. If TS3 is the same way, Generations is the obvious choice. However, I like the idea of making a horse, hence Pets. Actually, the features in all three expansions look awesome! I don't know which one to get!

As for answering the questions:

My favorite would have to be World Adventures. The tombs are a lot of fun to explore. As for my least favorite...that would have to be Late Night, if for no other reason than that they didn't add a film studio to Sunset Valley! In Ambitions, they added the new career buildings to Sunset Valley - why not Late Night? Keep in mind that these are out of the three that I have played, not out of all six.

I don't do stuff packs. I buy the EPs for the new features and rely on CC for new items.

If you could rank how much you like each expansion or stuff pack in order, what would your order be?
Again, out of the three that I've played:
-World Adventures
-Ambitions
-Late Night

If I had to get rid of an EP... This is a tough one. I'd actually get rid of World Adventures, even though it's my favorite EP. Yes, the tombs are awesome. But there are a few bad things about the expansion. First, the travel limit. I hate it. Second, the moodlet that you get when you get back that keeps you from traveling again. I don't like that either. Finally, the fact that the traveling is all you get for your $30. Yes, it's an awesome EP. Yes, it's my favorite EP. Yes, it's absolutely worth the $30. But if I had to get rid of an EP, World Adventures would get the ax.

EDIT: I finally decided to get Generations AND Pets. They both sounded awesome, plus I'm tired of playing Bridgeport.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 7:09 AM
My favorite EP is probably Ambitions. I love the professions, especially the Stylist.
My least favorite is WA. I just don't like Adventuring. I like my vacations ago be leisure and relaxation.

My fave SP is Fast Lane. Basically because of the long plunge neckline dress. Its my fave is the whole game.
Least fave KP stuff or Master Suite. I just didn't care for the items in MS and KP stuff is Candyland. Not my thing

Ambitions
Pets
Late Night
Show time
Fast Lane
Town Life

I actually removed Show Time because it was the only EP not required for a lot of the worlds I have downloaded. If not for the it would be WA.
Test Subject
#58 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 5:50 PM
I have to say that my favorite EP (at least of the moment) is Pets, which I'm a bit surprised by -- TS2 Pets were super annoying. However, I've been playing a family with a loyal dog for the last few weeks and if he isn't the cutest thing on four legs I don't know what is.

If I had to pick one to go, I think I'd probably lose Showtime -- but only because I'm not entirely sure I use any of the interactions it's brought in yet. It'll probably grow on me with time, though.

FWIW, I didn't own any stuff packs at all until I caught wind of this sale -- http://www.videogamecoupons.org/exc...-popular-games/

If you click through the "Click Here" button (and past the popup) it takes you to the Origin website, and they have most of the TS3 EPs and Stuff Packs on sale for direct download at something like 60% off. I found out that I apparently _will_ buy a Stuff Pack -- if it's $8 and I don't have to fish through bins at Target for it. :D
Top Secret Researcher
#59 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 8:46 PM
I haven't yet had a favourite EP -- perhaps I'll be a base-game girl to my dying day.

I can put in a positive word for Ambitions' self-employment options, and for the general cuteness of Pets. But there is a certain rhythm or feeling about the game that, for me, all of the EPs seem to miss or change for the worse with about half of their features.

Perhaps there are not very many people who share my view. Certainly EA's marketing people must hope not. I suppose they would tear their hair out over the idea that someone can live and breathe Sims, even to the point of buying extra copies of the base game to make sure I'm never without a disk when I want to play -- but then I don't buy the add-ons.
Test Subject
#60 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 2:39 AM
My favorite is probably Ambitions, I really like the Investigator career and the new Doctor opportunities.

My least favorite is Pets. They are cute, but I find most of them annoying, I usually forget I have them, and decide after a day or two to get rid of them, and it really takes up too much of my graphics card and disk space for me NOT to be getting all I can out of it.

Favorite Stuff Pack: Master Suite Stuff. I feel like it sex's my game up a bit.

Least Favorite: it's a tie between Katy Perry Stuff and Diesel, I haven't even bought Katy Perry Stuff, and just the idea of it gives me a headache. I love me some Katy Perry, but seriously. . this was overkill and a waist of a perfectly good necessary stuff pack. Diesel. . . I mean. . .EA's clothes always. . ehh idk. . .but the fact that they thought this was okay just baffles me. I mean, and it costs twenty dollars for clothes we'd probably never wear and a few coffee tables and a bed. . it left me confused.

Best to ehh; Expansions:
Ambitions
Showtime
Late Night
Generations
World Adventures
Pets

Best to ehh; Stuff:
Master Suite Stuff
Fast Lane Stuff
High End Loft Stuff
Outdoor Living Stuff
Town Life Stuff
Katy Perry Stuff
Diesel Stuff

I had gotten rid of Pets. Not even sure why I bought it, I didn't like TS2 pets. but this was an upgrade from that one, but. . ehh, not a pets fan.
Test Subject
#61 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 1:39 PM
I am about to make the plunge on getting some EPs and trying to decide what to get? Are there any really useful features that aren't obvious from the nature of the EP? For example with Sims 2 Nightlife added the ability to pack up your furnishings in inventory for moving and Seasons added the ability to store leftovers.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 22nd Sep 2012 at 5:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CASuchanek
I am about to make the plunge on getting some EPs and trying to decide what to get? Are there any really useful features that aren't obvious from the nature of the EP? For example with Sims 2 Nightlife added the ability to pack up your furnishings in inventory for moving and Seasons added the ability to store leftovers.

Ambitions - Laundry
Late Night - Vampires (but those are also included in Supernatural)
Pets - The creepy ice cream truck that stops at the same lot for hours
Mad Poster
#63 Old 22nd Sep 2012 at 5:36 AM

i would have to say supernatural was my favorite so far, and my least favorite is world adventures. supernatural added a lot of really interesting stuff, and i guess the fact that it isn't like 'real life' kept me more intrigued. i love playing a realistic game but supernatural was a much welcomed change and kept me playing for a longer time than any of the other expansions. plus the things it adds (bee keeping, rocking chair etc) are really great. and moonlight falls is my favorite neighborhood i got the least amount of use out of world adventures because really there's nothing in it besides if you go to the adventure neighborhoods (france, egypt, china) which really aren't that interesting to me. the entire ep is basically quest based and you have to explore the tombs that you're told and retrieve what you're told to retrieve. it does count as a vacation i think, but it's really not about vacation and relaxing because you have to go on adventures. plus the tourists/explorers are really annoying. you always get tourists in home worlds and explorers in vacation worlds.

i guess my favorite is diesel stuff, just because i got use out of a shirt. i can never recall if i use stuff pack items or not. i think my least favorite is the katy perry one, unless you really like the 'style' of having a bunch of candy objects and ridiculous clothes.

supernatural
pets
showtime
late night
ambitions
generations
world adventures

i would remove world adventures. the only thing it adds that i liked were the cameras and the fireworks, but i can definitely live without.
Test Subject
#64 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 5:38 PM
So I have decided to take the plunge and move on to Sims 3. I have already decided which expansions I AM getting, but I'm torn on Showtime. I feel like it's sort of required if I want to enjoy the celebrity system in late night. And I'm pretty sure that you need the celebrity system for the clubs of Late Night to work properly. But I am still conflicted.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SakuraKonekoChan
So I have decided to take the plunge and move on to Sims 3. I have already decided which expansions I AM getting, but I'm torn on Showtime. I feel like it's sort of required if I want to enjoy the celebrity system in late night.

I don't think you need SHT to enjoy the celebrity system. You have the base-game rock star RH career where celebrity system works well with, and with LN you get the movie career + bands. But of course if you become a singer with SHT, being also a celebrity works well with that.

I'm not sure what you mean by this part

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure that you need the celebrity system for the clubs of Late Night to work properly. But I am still conflicted.

The celebrity system came with LN. So if you get that EP you get the celebrity system.

I'm really looking forwards to playing SN and getting seasons next month, then coming back and re-thinking my favorite list. I do have SN, but I have not done anything with it yet, just played rock paper scissors, smussled, downloaded the mod so my normal hood doesn't get zombies and have one girl go and work in the fortune teller job. I still have 4 more households to play before I get to play the lady who will become a witch.
Test Subject
#66 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_

The celebrity system came with LN. So if you get that EP you get the celebrity system.

I meant if you turn the celebrities off in options, doesn't that mean you can't get access to the more exclusive clubs in LN? Maybe you still can, and I'm worrying over nothing.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SakuraKonekoChan
I meant if you turn the celebrities off in options, doesn't that mean you can't get access to the more exclusive clubs in LN? Maybe you still can, and I'm worrying over nothing.

I just checked the different bar types from the wiki. It seems that Fusion lounge will have three celebrities in it at any given time.

Quote:
A maximum of three celebrities will visit this lot at any one time. Party Animals and Excitable and Dramatic Sims like Fusion Lounges, while Bookworms, Cowards, Loners or Shy and Neurotic Sims will not autonomously visit here.
But also normal people.

About exclusive lounges it says

Quote:
Exclusive Lounges also attract Sims with a wide range of traits: Star Quality, Snobs, Schmoozers, Dramatic, Charismatic, and Ambitious. They deter Sims who are: Evil, Frugal, Loners, Neurotic, Over-Emotional, or Slobs. They also attract Sims involved in the Film career.
So it's not celebrities who are drawn here but I guess these traits are good for people who plan on being celebrities.

There are then the VIP sections that you can access by bribing the bouncer, but if you don't have any celebrities in the game I guess those sections will stay empty because I've never seen a none active sim bribe. Celebrities just walk in the section without problems.

So I guess the answer is yes and no. You shouldn't get lonely in the bar, but you might get lonely in the VIP section.
Test Subject
#68 Old 6th Oct 2012 at 10:18 AM
My favourite EPs are Supernatural and Pets. I love the supernatural people that are added with supernatural, and all of the new items and interactions (like turning sims into toads... ). I also like pets, because it is the first EP I bought for both Sims 2 and 3. Sims 2 pets was so boring, but it has improved so much for Sims 3, which is great!

My least favourite is definaely World Adventures. When I picture a holiday, the first thing I think of is lying on a beach somewhere sunny, not raiding a tomb. I just find it boring. I actually only bought it so I could download lots and worlds, and it was on sale .

I would rate the EPs I own in this order:
1) Supernatural
2) Pets
3) Late Night
4) Ambitions
5) World Adventures
Test Subject
#69 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 5:52 AM
Hmm, favourite would probably be Late Night, just because the city landscape is so unique and I love vampires, or World Adventures because it lets my sims escape the humdrum of their daily lives .

Least favourite, hmm, well the zombies on Supernatural are really starting to annoy me, but it's early days so we'll see. Otherwise it'd be Showtime... I really just don't use most of it's features.

Least favourite would be Katy Perry Sweet Treats, which I didn't buy and the main reason would be, because I'm all Katy-Perry'd out.

Favourites are definitely Master Suite and Outdoor Living. Plenty of new, well used items for my game.

Late Night
World Adventures
Generations/Ambitions (equally good)
Pets
Supernatural
Showtime

Showtime, because I could live without it if I had to.
Test Subject
#70 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 5:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I don't think you need SHT to enjoy the celebrity system. You have the base-game rock star RH career where celebrity system works well with, and with LN you get the movie career + bands. But of course if you become a singer with SHT, being also a celebrity works well with that.

I'm really looking forwards to playing SN and getting seasons next month, then coming back and re-thinking my favorite list. I do have SN, but I have not done anything with it yet, just played rock paper scissors, smussled, downloaded the mod so my normal hood doesn't get zombies and have one girl go and work in the fortune teller job. I still have 4 more households to play before I get to play the lady who will become a witch.

Hahaha, sorry, I had to laugh at this one. I'm not a big fan of Showtime, and the acronym you used to describe it sums it up perfectly for me... Showtime = SHT.
Test Subject
#71 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 3:37 PM
My favourite expansion pack is Pets, unfortunately I can not play it anymore on my current laptop because it runs on Leopard. I did play it however on another computer when it came out. I love the world Apaloosa Plains. It looks beautiful and is very spacious. I like the architectural style. The pets look good in this type of world, especially the horses. During the time when I played the Sims 2 I always thought it would be fantastic to be able to have my sims ride horses. So I was very happy when Pets came out.

My least favourite is Showtime, I don't use any of the futures (singing career, acrobats, magicians, simport, starlight shores). The whole getting famous/rich and living in a type of Los Angeles world doesn't appeal to me.

My favourite stuff pack is Outdoor Living Stuff. I use the items that were included in almost all of my households and when I build houses. You can definitely make your garden look more realistic.

My least favourite stuff pack is Katy Perry's Sweet Treats. I didn't buy it however, so maybe my judgement is wrong. The items, that seem to be made to look like food and that have bright colors don't look like items that would go well with the way I play the game.

Expansion packs:
- Pets
- World Adventures
- Ambitions
- Generations
- Supernatural
- Late Night
- Showtime

Stuff packs:
- Outdoor Living Stuff
- Town Life Stuff
- Diesel Stuff
- High End Loft Stuff
- Master Suite Stuff
- Fast Lane Stuff
- Katy Perry's Sweet Treats

Showtime, I could easily play the game without. Like I said above, I don't use any of the feautures nor items that were included.
Forum Resident
#72 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 1:15 AM
I'm currently trying to decide between ordering Generations, Show Time, or possibly Late Night (that one is more expensive, though...) because Amazon has them for about $20 each, with the exception of Late Night that is 27. I'm leaning towards Show Time because it looks different than anything currently in my game, but any suggestions would be helpful.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 1:33 AM
1.What is your most favourite/least favourite expansion pack, and why?
Most favourite: Generations. I loved have more options for the kids and teenagers and being allowed to send them away to boarding school
Least favourie: Supernatural. I was getting sick of the Zombies always popping up everywhere.
2.What is your most favourite/least favourite stuff pack, and why?
If I had to pick one, my favourite would be the Diesel stuff pack and my least favourite would be the Fast Lane stuff.
3.If you could rank how much you like each expansion or stuff pack in order, what would your order be?
I. Generations
II. Seasons
III. Diesel Stuff pack
4.If you had to remove an expansion, which one would it be, and why?
I would get rid of Supernatural, but that means getting rid of the awesome objects and clothes that come with it. I guess I will just have to put up with the Zombies

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 29th Nov 2012 at 5:37 AM
I wasn't sure where else I should post this question, so I'll try here first. xD

Does anyone know if there is a site where I can see images of all the new CAS items & buy/build items from each expansion pack? I would find this helpful in deciding which games I'd like to get. Or, if there is a better place to post this, let me know!
Instructor
#75 Old 2nd Dec 2012 at 3:13 PM
Since it's better to end on a positive note, I'll start with the bad stuff first.

Least favourite EP: Generations. It didn't add very much to the game to begin with, and I pretty much didn't like any of the stuff it did add. Well, okay, there were spiral stairs, and horny babymaking garden gnomes, but that's it. Most of the new features it added were either annoying, or just didn't do a lot for me personally. I absolutely HATE the Imaginary Friends; honestly, I think they're the worst "occult" that EA has ever made - creepy (not in a good way), ugly, and a dreadful annoyance. I quickly downloaded mods to stop them from being spawned on newborns and nuked them from my game entirely.

Least Favourite EP: Katy Perry's Sweet Treats. Don't get me wrong. I like Katy Perry; I've got several songs by her on my iPod. I also like candy; in fact, I'm very good at baking it myself. However, as much as I hate to say it, all candy themed clothing and furniture is butt ugly.

Well, okay, the candy clothes are kind of useful for some of my "crazy" female sims, but the furniture I will NEVER use... it's just way too over the top and doesn't suit the personalities of any of my simmies (and because most of my Sims are male). Plus, since the SP doesn't have very much to begin with, it doesn't include enough other items to match the candy theme, like walls, floors, rugs, curtains, and other furniture. Bleh.

Though, that seems to be an issue with most of the Stuff Packs (and it's the reason why I don't really like them overall); they simply don't include a wide enough variety of objects go with their theme.

If they made pack to cater to dark and evil simmies, though, I think that would be awesome. :lovestruc

Fave EP: I'd have to say World Adventures. Seriously, it's so cool, it's like awesome-o-saurus! As a devoted player of many adventure and RPG type games, I think exploring tombs and collecting stuff is SO wickedly cool. Also, I love mummies. Mummies are great. And a lot of the buy/build objects and features included are very versatile and fun.

Though I must say Pets and Supernatural come in pretty close to the top as well. I love Pets because pets are awesome (plus OMG PONIES AND UNICORNS!) And Supernatural was cool because, of course, of all the awesome new occults. I absolutely hated the whole zombie apocalypse thing, but it did have its redeeming qualities. Fairies and witches FTW

Favourite SP: High End Loft Stuff. I really like the new furniture it has, it's very nice and pretty easy to match with different decor styles and themes. Diesel was also pretty neat. (even though I'd never heard of it before, at first I thought it would be another car pack, lol.)
Page 3 of 10