Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#101 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 6:30 AM
Glad it worked, hope you'll share with us some of the conversions you make.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#102 Old 10th Mar 2013 at 11:19 PM
I am still having problems making cloned clothing. Every time I make one, package it up, put it in mods and try to select it from its thumbnail in CAS; the whole body just disappears from my sim. I sure would like to know what I am doing wrong so I can make this work.

I do not know if it helps, but I attached a 7z of my latest attempt.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  afbodyAssassin2.7z (1.79 MB, 59 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
Original Poster
#103 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 4:22 PM
You package is missing it's GEOM files. Actually your tatt one was too. My cloner changes the references, so if they're not included they won't show up. I say in the tutorial to add all the files, but you can technically get away with using only the base files.

Here's a pack I made up so you can see it.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  aftest.zip (2.07 MB, 56 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#104 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 6:22 PM Last edited by Silverprinz : 11th Mar 2013 at 6:45 PM.
OK, my misunderstanding there, I did not include them because they were used to make the bgeo files and so I thought they were only for that. Now that I know where I went awry I shall re-steer my course and have another go. Back to the drawing board.... lol. Thank you.
----
That was the problem alright, now I can do this! I am grateful for the help you just gave me, really, thank you again.
Test Subject
#105 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 8:45 PM
I just used this tutorial to see whether I could make a 'new' mesh and get it into the game and it worked. So thank you for this information.

Unfortunately, I have come over an issue I am not sure how to fix. The meshes use normal maps, however, the cloner does not pull them, thus my file seems to use the normals map of the cloned item, which, of course, does not look very good. Any ideas how I could add a new normal map?
Scholar
#106 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amaryll
I just used this tutorial to see whether I could make a 'new' mesh and get it into the game and it worked. So thank you for this information.

Unfortunately, I have come over an issue I am not sure how to fix. The meshes use normal maps, however, the cloner does not pull them, thus my file seems to use the normals map of the cloned item, which, of course, does not look very good. Any ideas how I could add a new normal map?

The normal maps can be found in the build files. They have _n in the file name.
Test Subject
#107 Old 6th Apr 2013 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
The normal maps can be found in the build files. They have _n in the file name.

Yes. But the cloner renames the files for the new item, doesn't it? I don't know how to emulate that, so that only my new item will pick up the edited normal map and not the original one. Can I just give it a random name and put that in the XML? Will the game find it?
Scholar
#108 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 12:22 AM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 7th Apr 2013 at 8:09 PM.
Yes. But the cloner renames the files for the new item, doesn't it? I don't know how to emulate that, so that only my new item will pick up the edited normal map and not the original one. Can I just give it a random name and put that in the XML? Will the game find it?

Name the normal map in the resource box
hit fnv64
take a note of the new ID
export the xml(s) from the casp
open the xml(s) in a text document and change the entry for the normal map to your new ID (in every one that you exported)
save
re-import them into the casp
commit
save

*edit for anyone coming along later* this works for the multiplier, overlay etc but doesn't work for normal maps.
Test Subject
#109 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 1:18 AM
Thank you for the help. I was sure this should work, but unfortunately I cannot find an entry for the normal map in the XML file. Is the naming different? Or could the reference be located elsewhere?
Scholar
#110 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 2:06 AM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 7th Apr 2013 at 2:33 AM.
Thank you for the help. I was sure this should work, but unfortunately I cannot find an entry for the normal map in the XML file. Is the naming different? Or could the reference be located elsewhere?

You're right, it's not listed. The only times I've used them is to overwrite the game ones.
There are a lot of references to it in the geom files, so I'm going to leave you to Grim's superior knowledge now :P

*edit* written by bloomsbase (they were talking about a TS3 window I think, not sure if the process would be the same for clothing, but if you want to try something......) I'd make a copy of your package and keep the original as a back up and give this a shot.

Open the custom package
Add the normalmap DDS file
Give the file a unique instance number and fix the type and group number
Export the 3 GEOM files(Lod1/2 and 3)
Open each GEOM with Milkshape
Go to the comments in the groups tab
Change the Normalmap instance number from the first TGI into the one you changed on your added DDS file
Commit and export the GEOM
Import the GEOM back into the package
Do this also for the other lods

Grim will be along shortly to tell you this is all wrong and only for objects or something rofl (Hi Grim =D) I'd try this out myself, but I never got round to putting milkshape on this computer.
Instructor
Original Poster
#111 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 7:06 AM
No Chickie, you've got the jist of what I would say. Thank you for helping what you can.

The only place I've seen a reference to a normal map is inside the GEOM files. I haven't broken them down, so my CASP cloner doesn't mess with them.

They are listed in the comments of the GEOM files in Milkshape. I've not messed with them to be sure that this is where the edit should take place. They are there. It's the only place I've found to reference the Normal Map files, so I guess that this is the place for the edit.

If you're inclined this is where you should start looking. Otherwise, let me look at it tomorrow, and I can give you moe info.
Test Subject
#112 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 11:07 AM
Thank you, the both of you.

After fiddling with the mesh and the UV map for so long, I am not worried about a little experimentation. The bump map is the TGIRef01 entry at the top of the comments page. I changed it to my new ID and the mesh shows up fine in game with the correct map.
Scholar
#113 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 6:08 PM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 7th Apr 2013 at 8:19 PM.
Thank you, the both of you.

After fiddling with the mesh and the UV map for so long, I am not worried about a little experimentation. The bump map is the TGIRef01 entry at the top of the comments page. I changed it to my new ID and the mesh shows up fine in game with the correct map.

So is the info I posted nearly correct? Just so I know for future reference...and should I ever get round to re-installing milkshape.
If it's not accurate, (which given what Grim says, it isn't) could you post an accurate instruction list?
I'm confused because those instructions say to open the GEOM files in milkshape and go to comments and edit the first reference, which seems to tie in to what both you and Grim are saying.

I'd love to see your new mesh btw
Test Subject
#114 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 8:45 PM
No, your directions were all accurate. I simply exported the normal map that belonged to the outfit I had cloned, renamed it in Sim3pe to match my new mesh, but left the number part alone (does that make sense?), then hit FNV64 for the new ID and exported it. I imported it into my cloned file and replaced the original map with my new one. In the lod1 file (I haven't made the others just yet, because I wanted to know that everything works before) I went to comments and looked for the ID of the original normal map. It was one of the TGI entries at the top. I changed it to the new ID, exported the lod, replaced lod1 in my cloned file with it and saved.

Here is a picture:

'Frankenmeshed' in the fullest sense. I have used a texture by Sherahbim I thought would fit the style of the game. I have fiddled a bit with muliplier and specular and am content with the lighting all over, but the overlay still looks much too dark and saturated, although it is not actually. The stretching at the front of the skirt is due to the bone assignment. I used Meshtool and the female body mesh for a fast and easy fix, but it needs some fine tuning.
Scholar
#115 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 9:17 PM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 7th Apr 2013 at 9:57 PM.
It looks really nice, so nice in fact that the stretching is easily ignorable from what I can see in the screenshot....I know you say it needs fine tuned, are you going to upload it when it's done =D (although I'd be more happy to try it out now if you upload it as is =P)

Thank you for detailing what you did, much appreciated.
Test Subject
#116 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 10:42 PM
Thank you very much. I am afraid, however, that it is much more noticeable, when the sim walks. But I will share, as soon as it's ready.
Scholar
#117 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 10:47 PM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 8th Apr 2013 at 4:18 PM.
Thank you very much. I am afraid, however, that it is much more noticeable, when the sim walks. But I will share, as soon as it's ready.

I look forward to it.
I'm also going to start envisioning you as our future resident mesher if that's ok with you (Don't run away screaming btw I meant it as a compliment lol)
Instructor
Original Poster
#118 Old 11th Apr 2013 at 10:35 PM
I have to say, Amaryll, your screenshots look great. I'm smiling like a new father to see someone making such great use of this tutorial.

Can you share with us an overview of your struggles to make this? I'm sure I've missed things in my tutorial.

I can't wait to see you upload you new outfits. If you need some specific help please PM me. I'll give you a good email that you can send me packages at.
Test Subject
#119 Old 13th Apr 2013 at 12:26 PM Last edited by Amaryll : 13th Apr 2013 at 11:32 PM.
Thank you.

I might actually take you up on that offer.

Well, I am still struggling and experimenting, but this is what I did:

I decided on recreating one of Sherahbim's outfits as a test and looked around the game files for meshes I could use for this and exported them.

Then I used your Cloner, cloned an outfit (the alchemist in this case), gave it a new name, made a new file in Sim3Pe, imported everything (I did not create a new _KEY file though; I simply imported the CASP file first and the _KEY seemed to just pop up along with it) and saved.

In MS I imported the meshes I wanted to use and hacked away at them, creating my "new" outfit.
At this point I did not pay much attention to bone weights, because I wanted to see what the Toolkit could do and there were missing bones anyway. But for the sake of better animations it might be worth trying to preserve them. I am still experimenting.

When I was content with the shape of the new mesh, I fixed the UV map and made the texture. I did this simultaneously, because the original mapping was pretty much all over the place. I "unwelded" the mesh, so I could move parts around freely.

Then I selected the whole mesh in the groups tap, and went to "weld together".
I have noticed that Sims 3 meshes seem to be big enough to weld them that way without issues, but in case there be any the mesh needs to be resized first (made bigger, welded, and made the original size again). Then I used Model Cleaner (under Tools) to split the mesh along the seams ("no" to everything, and then "ok").

Before exporting the mesh, I imported the lod1 (or better a part of it) from the outfit that I had cloned. I nabbed its comment and pasted it into the comment tab of my new mesh. Then I deleted the original lod, saved and exported my new mesh.

With the Mesh Toolkit I now replaced the bone weights of my mesh and created the morph files using the SM af nude body as reference.
I imported the morphes into MS to take a look at them and fiddle with them where I thought necessary. Toolkit usually works really well, but since a nude body is very different from a dress the morphes came out a little wonky, although it was only really noticeable on the fat morph. I am experimenting with a Sims 3 dummy at the moment to see if that yields better results.
The reason I chose the nude mesh is that most, if not all, SM outfits have their lod1 files seperated in parts. Those don't work very well with Toolkit. With Sims 3 meshes the bones might come out not assigned at all or not correctly, but the SM meshes all threw an error and exporting the meshes anyway led to the outfit being invisible in game.

The other lod files I created importing the lod 1, selecting it in groups tap, going to "weld together" and then using the DirectXTool to reduce poly count. I then used "smooth all" and exported the mesh as obj. I opened a new window, re-imported the original lod and then my exported lod2 (it might be necessary to rename the original one first), copied the comment from the original, pasted it to lod2, selected both in groups tab and used "weld together". This copies the bone assignments from the original lod1 to lod2. I deleted lod1 and used the Model Cleaner to split the seams.
Then I repeated all that for lod3.

When I had all lods and morph files I renumbered them with Toolkit.
I figured that since Sims 3 meshes explode if this is not done, I should do it for SM meshes as well. Since however this Tool is only for Sims 3 I could not renumber the morph files for teen and elder, thus my mesh does not have them. However, I just remembered that there is a Sims 3 plug-in that allows doing the renumbering in MS. So that way, I think, it should be possible to create all morph stages for a new mesh.

Then I built the BGEO files with Toolkit.

I opened my saved outfit file, imported the BGEOs, replaced the lods and image files and fixed the CASP and saved.
Since my mesh was in fact in one part I deled the lod1_X files. I did not replace the morph GEOM files in the package, I think, but I don't really remember. I was being really slap-dash, because I just wanted to see if it works. In fact I did only use the lod1 morph files to create my BGEOs, but I have not noticed a problem with that so far - the outfit morphes as it should.

God, I really hope that makes any sort of sense for you. That happens when I am trying to be short, apparently. :p

Btw. in the other thread you mentioned doing animations. So it is possible to import the SM skeleton into MS? Could you please tell me how?
Instructor
Original Poster
#120 Old 14th Apr 2013 at 4:48 AM
Wow, Amaryll, it seems you've taken a different route than I knew about doing this. I have no idea even what the Mesh Toolkit you're talking about is. I guess I'll have to look into it, but it's great to hear how another tool can be made to work with TSM. You actually make a lot of sense to me, but I'll have to wait till I mess with the tool kit to know for sure.

As for skeletons, it depends on what skeleton file you're talking about. BONE files can be imported into Milkshape, and I go over that in this tutorial, so I assume that's not what you mean. CLIP files (bone animation files) can be loaded into Milkshape after converting them to SMD files using Wes Howe's AnimTool, but it errors in loading the skirt bone original matrix. This can be fixed by editing the RigFile.ini and zeroing out those particular matrices. Something like this:

"b__upper_skirt__" "b__Pelvis__" 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
"b__skirt_upper_Compress__" "b__upper_skirt__" 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
"b__lower_skirt__" "b__skirt_upper_Compress__" 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
"b__skirt_lower_Compress__" "b__lower_skirt__" 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

This should make TSM SMD's appear right in Milkshape. I haven't messed a lot yet with modifying the animation from here, and using Milkshape, I think it would be easier to make a new animation from a base pose rather than edit one. Lately I've been on a TS3 to TSM kick, and have been trying to figure out to convert custom TS3 content to TSM. Meshes and animations almost work, so I'm trying to perfect the details, and then I hope to give you all a tutorial. I've tried to contact Wes for information on his AnimTool, but I have yet to hear back. If I know my simmer's he will be all too happy to help when he gets back. Otherwise, I have access to the file format, and I'll have to write a new AnimTool for TS3 to TSM conversion. Even then I'd love Wes' expertise.

_RIG files are the same in TSM except they are uncompressed. This makes them not work with other tools, but as far as I can tell this is the new format TS3 is also using, so hopefully someone will make a compatible tool or plug-in.

I don't know if I've answered you or not, if not please clarify what you mean by skeleton. I'm always open to helping people figure stuff out.
Test Subject
#121 Old 15th Apr 2013 at 8:23 PM
I think I have to apologize for what probably was a really stupid question. I have to admit that since I wanted to try Toolkit I only went superficially over that part of the tutorial and was sure it did not contain what I needed. I did mean the rigs, actually.

Btw. I have made another mesh based on the merchant one with the keys and I have found that if I make the hands a seperate part of the lod, using the body lod1 to assign their bone weights, and use the original dress to fix the missing bones of the other part I can retain all animations of the skirt area. This time Toolkit gave me no errors, so I figure I must have done something wrong last time.
Field Researcher
#122 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 8:05 PM Last edited by mirabellarose : 9th Dec 2014 at 8:31 PM.
I know this is an old thread, and I'm sure no one will see it, by I'm going to ask anyway. What do you mean by, "Just copy those files to your package, and save it, you get this?" I can extract the instances from DeltaBuild0 and/or FullBuild 0 (I *think.* I haven't tried it yet.), but I can't see how to put those numbers back into S3PE. I just haven't run into this before. Still kinda new at all of this.

Can you break this down, step by step? Do I need to use the hex editor you have linked in your tutorial?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: After banging my head against the wall for awhile, Googling stuff all over the place, mashing buttons and hoping I don't break anything, it seems I need to edit these numbers by clicking the Guide button in S3PE? Is that right. I'm gonna try it. Let's hope nothing explodes!

Quote: Originally posted by grimreefer24601
Ok, I think I've figured out your issue nicolien76. Is this what's happening?

This is actually a Bone Delta issue, and can easily be fixed if you have TS3 and any expansion that this model relies on. This one only used the Base TS3 game.

Open the package you're trying to convert, click on the CASP, and scroll all the way to the bottom of Preview panel. There is a section called "--- CountedTGIBlockList: TGIBlocks (0x21) ---". In this section you can find the instance of the TS3 Bone Delta file used with this model. Look for entries that are of type "0x0355E0A6" (TGI is Type, Group, Instance).

These instances need to be copied from TS3's DeltaBuild0 or FullBuild0 package (if it's in delta use that one). You may notice that these files corespond to the thin, fat, fit, etc meshes.

Just copy those files to your package, and save it, you get this.

The hands are still kindof in the skirt, but that's due to the model itself. You could further modify the bone deltas of the arms to pull them a bit further out, but that requires some quaternion rotation (if you know what a quaternion is).

Also note this particular file has no feet. Youll find many TS3 models are absent feet, because shoes are separated in TS3, and not in Medieval. You could probably add feet in Milkshape using a model that has feet.

Also notice how the dress is black, it should be purple. This is a problem in the presets, and I'm still working out the details, but it seems CTU (the tool used to extract most TS3 clothing) doesn't copy the presets entirely, and uses clones from TS3. These clones don't exisist in TSM. Also, this dress, and others I've messed with, used patterns in their presets. This might work if they were TSM patterns, but so far I've had no luck bringing in patterns from TS3. You can however copy a know good preset, and replace the overlay, mask, and multiplier instance, and get a useable model in TSM.

I hope this help you and others a bit.
Field Researcher
#123 Old 16th Dec 2022 at 12:02 PM Last edited by mirabellarose : 16th Dec 2022 at 12:15 PM.
Hey, y'all! I've been doing a little experimentation. I'm trying to find a Sims 3 mesh that includes shoes and all I could find is the Bonehilda outfit. So, I cloned the Bonehilda outfit, an EA dress, and a pair of EA shoes. I exported the dress mesh and the shoes mesh and combined the dress and shoes using Milkshape (that way I can export the mesh as a .wso file), I then imported the edited mesh and the textures from the dress—I ignored the shoes texture as I was just doing a quick test—into the Bonehilda clone. I exported the completed package file, made the changes to the CASP resource in the package file, and checked the dress in the game. The result is that it works! Buhhh...it has issues. The shoes are attached to the dress and the outfit animates correctly but the arms are lumpy looking in CAS. That would be because of the weight paint which can be fixed but, ugh, the work. The neck, of course, does not line up with the head and would have to be resized in Blender or even Milkshape if you hate yourself. Possibly, you could delete the TS3 body parts from the mesh and add in the TSM body parts. That way the arms, legs, and neck would fit better. A lot more would need to be done, of course. Again, that is a lot of work.

I did discover, per my experiments, that you can import a mesh that has foot bones into a clone that does not include foot bones—which surprises me, actually. I thought TSRW would throw an error if you introduced new bones to a cloned mesh that doesn't have the same bones. That turns out to not be the case. However, whatever you clone has to have two groups. The reason is that no group can have more than 60 bones. If a group has more than 60 bones the mesh will explode, which is LOL-worthy but probably not what you'd want. To fix this problem, EA splits a mesh into two groups so that one group will have 60 bones and the other will have whatever bones are left over. You need to clone a TS3 mesh that has two groups, as I mentioned, and hopefully, it would have two groups for at least the high LOD and the medium LOD. Even better if the low LOD contains two groups but if not, just import the mesh without the shoes. The low LOD is only seen when you're very, very far away so you won't see the missing shoes, anyway.

My experimentation, of course, involves putting together a TS3 mesh and then using the S3PE wrappers to get the mesh into TSM. If you want to clone a TSM mesh and then replace the mesh with a TS3 outfit combined with TS3 shoes, you can, I guess, but again, the neck of the TS3 mesh will not line up and will have to be resized. The shoes will fit the TS3 mesh without a problem; it's just the neck that will present issues. You would also need to combine the shoe textures with the outfit textures. That's not a big deal and can be done easily.

There is, of course, the issue of the morphs. OMG, the work involved converting/making clothes. Is it worth it?

At this point, here is what I'm thinking.
  • You can use an existing TS3 mesh and alter the CASP resource to get the mesh into the game, though it will be best to adjust the neck size in Blender or Milkshape.
  • If you use an existing TS3 mesh you may have to alter the morphs though I'm not sure how to go about that. Use the Mesh Toolkit, perhaps? Maybe you safely ignore the morphs, I don't know.
  • If you want to add shoes to an existing TS3 mesh you'd (maybe) need to clone something that has two groups for at least the high LOD and the medium LOD, then you'd combine the shoe mesh with the outfit mesh and import the edited meshes.
  • If you are combining a shoe and outfit mesh and importing the combined meshes into a new clone you'll need to also combine the textures.
  • Possibly you can skip the cloning of a new mesh and just export the simgeoms from an existing TS3 outfit package and an existing TS3 shoe package, combine the meshes in Blender or Milkshape, export as a simegeom, the import the edited meshes back into the existing outfit package. However, the outfit/shoes mesh will need to be split into two groups because of the number of bones the mesh will have. AND, the neck will need to be resized. Again, what do you do with the morphs?
  • Maybe you can just clone a TSM mesh, take a TS3 outfit mesh and a TS3 shoe mesh, import them into Blender or Milkshape, resize the neck, combine the meshes, then replace the TSM mesh with your edited mesh.
  • In any case, if you're combing an outfit with shoes you'll need to combine the textures.

OR, you could just forgo the whole combining meshes thing, take an existing TS3 outfit mesh into Blender or Milkshape, adjust the neck, do something with the morphs, I guess, import the edited mesh back into the package file, and edit the CASP resource. For shoes, take the mesh into Blender and resize it so that it covers the TSM feet then make the completed package file into a TSM accessory.

This is a stream-of-consciousness post so sorry if it's confusing.
Field Researcher
#124 Old 16th Dec 2022 at 12:29 PM
@Amaryll You will not see this post since the entire thread is extremely old, but I'd love to talk to you about what you did with bone assignments and morphs.

It is possible to transfer weights from a reference mesh in Blender—it's the method I use for TS3 CAS items—but then there's the issue of how do you export the edited mesh? Exporting from Blender using Smugtomato's addon doesn't seem to work. At least, I couldn't get it to work. There's the .wso addon that TSRW has made but I haven't used it. There is the Milkshape addon that lets you export a file as a .ms3d. I haven't tried that one, either.

At this point, it appears that Milkshape will have to be a bridge between Blender and...well...anything else. Exporting a mesh from Blender with bone assignments preserved will be an issue.

As for what you said about TSM meshes being split and Mesh Toolkit having trouble with that, couldn't you just combine the TSM mesh parts in Milkshape and then use the combined mesh as a reference for Mesh Toolkit?
Field Researcher
#125 Old 5th Jan 2023 at 8:27 AM
Man, I love talking to myself on this forum, lol. I already posted a question about this but I'll post it here, too. I was able to successfully attach shoes to a TS3 dress and get it into the game. It looks great except that there are visible seams on the neck, shoulders, and around the armpits.

I'm working on the TS3 store's 3 Tiers wedding dress. I deleted the neck and parts of the upper chest and upper back and replaced that section with the same section of the AF nude TSM mesh, then merged the vertices. This way, the neck lines up with the TSM head. However, there are visible seams that I can't seem to get rid of. Any ideas? Mesh toolkit is out because the vertices must be in the default TS3 positions and that is not the case with my mesh. I know the seams are a problem with the normals. If I could find a way to make the normals on the vertices in the seams align the problem would be solved but I haven't found an answer. Doing things manually in Milkshape makes me want to scream, so I'm hoping I don't have to futz with Milkshape. I'm currently looking into the normal edit modifier in Blender.

You can't see in the screenshot but there are shoes attached to this mesh. Also, there's an area in the chest where I didn't merge the vertices but that's easily fixed. It's those friggin' seams. Oh, and I don't know how to make the mesh work with sliders and I don't have morphs, either. Any tips on those two issues would be much appreciated.

If I can figure this out I'll write a tutorial but it's hard when it's just me and there's no one I can bounce ideas off of/ask for help.

I'm Lolabellesims. Hi! Check out my stuff at The Sims Resource and at www.tumblr.com/lolabellesims. Maybe I'll go nuts and publish something here, too.
Page 5 of 6