Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Shell Villa

by Mootilda Posted 17th Nov 2011 at 7:58 PM - Updated 25th Nov 2011 at 7:20 PM by Mootilda : Note about pets

42 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 8 Feedback Posts, 33 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#2 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 8:12 PM
Thanks for again showcasing what can be done with creativity and some damn good tools. Hee hee, cute shell house! Want.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 8:48 PM
Wow!!!!!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#4 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 9:28 PM
I know of the original house and this is amazingly alike. I never knew you could do that with a roof - gotta get building! :D
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 10:16 PM
I love how clean your adapation is, especially given how "curvy" the original design is! Very well done. Can't wait to see where your design hunger and imagination take you next!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#6 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 10:48 PM
Wow ! Very impressive realisation !
Theorist
THANKS POST
#7 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 11:13 PM
Very cool, Mootilda!
*shrugs*
retired moderator THANKS POST
#8 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 5:46 AM
WOW! Well done, Mootilda!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#9 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 6:05 AM
Wow, Brilliant! Thanks Mootilda!
Inventor
THANKS POST
#10 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 9:42 AM
AMAZING! I never thought something like this would be possible. So inspiring!!
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#11 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 2:35 PM
mootilda, you do the impossible! I love the gradual two step stairs up to the house and the curves are pure artistry.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 7:21 PM
Okay, I know it´s allready been said and might be starting to get boring but it´s really true: amazing, fantastic!! WOW!!! Freaking awesome!!!!
Inventor
THANKS POST
#13 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 1:51 AM
Wonderful house! It is masterpiece in my eyes! You are the .
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#14 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 3:49 AM
this is a really neat idea and house! good job! :D
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 19th Nov 2011 at 8:51 AM
Really amazing design, thanks!

Sim Fans UK - Free downloads, tutorials, game help and chat!

I'm selling my vBulletin 4 suite - please contact me if you are interested in buying it.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#16 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 12:54 AM
very unique house! Thank You
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#17 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 11:24 AM
Very impressive. Love it!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#18 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 4:55 AM
Highly impressive! This house is one-of-a-kind and spectacular looking.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#19 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 6:04 AM
Thank you so much! I am very eager to move my Organization XIII Sims & their cats into this lovely house soon!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#20 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 4:10 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 25th Nov 2011 at 7:32 PM.
You should be aware that some animals can't navigate 2-click stairs. I don't play with Pets, so I can't give you details. However, you may want to test with a temporary neighborhood first.

One option would be to add 8-click modular stairs, which pets should be able to navigate. If you move a few plants and a light fixture, you can easily place some stairs behind the terrace at the left side of the lot:
The new stairs are fairly inconspicuous from the front:
Screenshots
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#21 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 4:56 PM
This is AMAZING! I've seen the Shell Villa before, in my internet wanderings of alternative housing and architecture, and I fell in love with it. I'd totally live there!

IRL, I'm very passionate about "dome" homes, for their energy efficiency, and resistance to just about any natural disaster. http://www.monolithic.com/topics/featured Since getting into domes, I've often wished I could have dome homes in my game. This comes pretty close, I think! The Shell Villa is more akin to a dome than to conventional construction, for sure.

Anyway, thank you for this!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#22 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 6:08 PM
I had never seen the Shell Villa before. As soon as I saw it, I was driven to recreate it in the Sims. One might even say that I was obsessed. I was very lucky to find a site with the floor plans and elevations; many sites just show a couple of pictures and it's hard to get a feel for the house from that.

Domes are interesting (thanks for the link!), but completely impractical in the Sims. There's no way to create curved walls, make them weather-proof, or to add doors and windows.

Could you use the Sphere 360 Build Set upper pieces to create a dome? I haven't fooled around with the set, but it looks promising.
http://www.modthesims.info/d/449382
Mad Poster
#23 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 6:45 PM Last edited by Darby : 29th Nov 2011 at 6:59 PM.
I hope you enjoy looking over those domes! They're not all beautiful, some being too cave-like for my taste, but others are quite stunning and light-filled. The incredible energy-efficiency of domes is something more people need to be looking at, as well as the disaster-resistance. I live in "tornado alley", and when I see a whole town (Joplin Missouri this last summer) of conventional construction leveled by a tornado, it frustrates me no end, knowing all those same homes/offices/schools would still be standing if they were domes. A lot of money would have been saved, and most importantly, many fewer lives would have been lost, if any at all.

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Could you use the Sphere 360 Build Set upper pieces to create a dome? I haven't fooled around with the set, but it looks promising.
http://www.modthesims.info/d/449382

That does look promising - and very cool! I know the roundness is an illusion, but it looks really good, and more versatile than one might think, at first glance. Some of the examples she has of how the elements can be combined for different effects remind me quite a bit of some of the domes on the Monolithic site!

I'm not much of a builder, but I'll be experimenting with that set! Thanks for putting me on to it!

ETA: Little Nemo's pics in post #33 confirms that "domes" are quite possible with this set!!!
http://www.modthesims.info/download...5#startcomments
I'm excited... :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 2:07 AM
Hi! This download looks amazing! But I have know idea how to download it. when I push download it will say " have you read downloading for dummies?" i've read it like 12 times but still it won't let me. Can you please help me??!!!! I would REALLY like to download this becuz it is sooooooo awesome!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 2:11 AM
wait, i mite have just got it!!!! i really hope i did!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2