Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 3:16 AM
Venues (which need the bandatron) are pretty good, though it's hard for a Sim to build up enough talent badges to qualify for management (unless you hit upon a townie that's good in lots of things).

(Reminder for noobs--a Sim requires 5 talent badge points to qualify as manager. Gold badge is 3 points, silver 2, and bronze 1.)

My Landgraab family currently has 3 businesses--the electronics store, a furniture store, and Cover Me Clothing. I have managers for all 3 now. I get a business up and running and once an employee qualifies for management, they're promoted. I like to "cross-train" my employees, too--once they've gotten, say, a silver register talent badge, I have them work on sales and "train" another Sim on register.

(Reminds me of the time I worked at KFC. I knew how to do just about everything, and I was being considered for management at one point.)

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 22nd Sep 2012 at 6:33 AM
I recommend a flower shop because it seems really easy and it stocks the shelves pretty well with money $$.
I also think you should get into cuisine and win a food contest for a jackpot $$.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 22nd Sep 2012 at 6:06 PM Last edited by gazania : 22nd Sep 2012 at 6:17 PM.
When my Sim couple was super-broke and I didn't want to use a money cheat (yes, sometimes, I don't use cheats), they invested in an easel, paint-paint-painted to skill up, and opened a home business art gallery in their tiny (1x2 lot) house. Good for just two poor Sims (one does the register, one schmoozes with the customers) in a small venue. Not the hugest easy-money-maker, but they commanded quite a price for the masterpieces. (Too bad most artists can't do this in real life.) Then once they got the money, they moved up to a bigger place and got into a more lucrative business.

(I know you wrote that you wanted a single-Sim business, but one Sim could schmooze and sell in-between looking in on the children once in a while. That's what I did. It might work a little better with child than toddler Sims, though, unless you have the "stay out of the toilet" cheat, or use some other method to keep Junior out of the bathroom. I did it with toddler Sims; however, my poor parent was exhausted by the end of the day.)

And ... I didn't realize there was a huge time gap between posts. Sorry!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 5:02 PM
Heres a list of many busness ideas:

Supermarket
Grocery
Bakery
Spa (need BV for massage table)
Salon
Toy Shop
Electronics
Furniture shop
Garden Centre (need Seasons)
Cinema
Arcade
Resteraunt (need Nightlife)
Coffee shop (need University)
Clothes shop (you can also do a H&M if you have that stuff pack)
Book Shop
Pub
Swimming pool
Iceskating/roller rink (need Seasons)
Gym
Jewelers (need BV)
Flower Shop
Robotics
Gallery
a 'knick knacks' shop (like a charity shop)
Pet shop
Car shop
Shop selling things made with freetime stuff (eg pottery)
A Farm shop (selling produce/fish you have grown on your farm. This is a good way to get a better price for those items rather than selling them straight away. Need Seasons)
Bowling Alley
and SO MUCH MORE!!!!

You can also get creative with a few of these ideas, for example create an ikea if you got the ikea stuff pack, or a wedding furniture/clothes/salon shop if you have celebration stuff hope these give you a few ideas!

Guess what cheese
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 5:48 PM
My most succesful business was a bookstore, also selling easels, chess-tables and telescopes. One of my families have a toystore, and a flower/garden shop located in a greenhouse. I once made a tree-nursery, a huge lot with a lot of trees and shrubs for sale. And an art gallery, selling paintings and sculptures!

I really don't like bakeries, because your sim needs to cook 24/7 to be able to restock.. This is also why I don't like to sell from the craft-stations.

And, maybe a stupid question, but what on earth is a bandatron??
Mad Poster
#31 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Suzanne239
I really don't like bakeries, because your sim needs to cook 24/7 to be able to restock.. This is also why I don't like to sell from the craft-stations.

And, maybe a stupid question, but what on earth is a bandatron??

The bandatron is the ticket machine that came with OFB. For bakeries, you don't have to cook if you sell jello or the cakes (or foods) that you can find in the buy section of the catalogue.
Test Subject
#32 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 8:49 PM
I bought a small lot, and did the lake. Sims like to fish! And bandatron!
Mad Poster
#33 Old 5th Oct 2012 at 2:30 AM Last edited by FranH : 5th Oct 2012 at 6:28 PM.
I just created the first "Shrink Shop", ie, a counseling center for those sims who have personality clashes with each other.

It's not easy to set one up, but it can be done, with a lot of hacks on the lot.

It involves: Inge's meeting controller, her hacked doors, a set of 'captive chairs', lockable doors (that is with the EP that enabled the function, Uni, I do believe ), a hacked flamingo, a visitor manager from ChristianLov, Two Jeff's Visitor Controller, the bandatron and a very willing 'therapist' to do the talk session in her office.

She didn't succeed totally the first day, but she's on her way to making some of the most cantankerous sims in the neighborhood less hateful toward each other.

It also makes money!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 11th Oct 2012 at 8:35 PM
Two other ideas, a sculpture garden and a lamp shop!

I think I'm going to use the Goth residence as the sculpture garden, either to sell works of art or to charge visitors using the bandatron..

Edit: would you also be able to sell tombstones...?? :P
Site Helper
#35 Old 11th Oct 2012 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Suzanne239
would you also be able to sell tombstones...?? :P
That sounds like a really bad idea... likely to corrupt your neighborhood. That is, unless you sell purely decorative tombstones that are not attached to actual sims.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 11th Oct 2012 at 10:47 PM
I have a funeral parlour run by my mafia family. It sells coffins, flowers, a corpse on a table and decorative headstones. Please don't set real tomb stones for sale!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#37 Old 12th Oct 2012 at 12:09 AM
Oh, what an idea-I had a funeral parlor once, where the relatives of the deceased came to pay their respects. (I was using a funeral hack)

It was fun watching the deceased spook all the attendees. "I thought he was DEAD!"

But there are a lot of places where you can get the flowers (especially gravestone flowers..) and deco tombs. Even catacombs and full size effigy tombs.
Test Subject
#38 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 10:57 PM
Hi the easiest way for me was going to furinture and just puting old junk and in the sell bar I made it sold and I got lots of simolens( if I spelled that correctly. Most of all HIRE EMPOLYEES!
#39 Old 5th Feb 2013 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by teoMihai1
Hi! I've got a family of two married adults and I'm planning to have them have children. I was wondering if anyone could give me an example of a home business that's easy to be ran by a single sim and that can bring a decent amount of money. Thankyou very much! :D

Currently I am playing a medieval game. So I assign all of my Sims medieval jobs and career pathways. I have three households that are all shepherding families and one household that is a wheat-farming family. How I maintain the businesses is a bit complicated. Initially I put some sheep or wheat on the property. I start the home business. When the home business begins, I make the sheep and the wheat objects (custom objects) to be sellable and assign "Average" as the price tag. All my current families are free peasants. They own land and sell their products to neighbors. "Restocking sheep" in my mind means that the sheep reproduces and multiplies in number, begetting more sheep. The amount of money it costs to restock sheep is interpreted to mean the amount of money it takes to feed and nurture the sheep for growth and development. "Restocking wheat" in my mind means that the wheat fields are being re-planted, and the cost spent on the restocking is interpreted to mean the cost spent on sowing the fields. I encourage my Sims to make a good sale and a friendly relationship with the customers, so customers may return for more wheat or sheep. The wheat or sheep in the customers' inventories may be sold in the game, because I want to transfer the money into simoleons/resources, which may be used to purchase food and increase food points for the refrigerator in their homes. That way, it looks like they are "buying and using sheep and wheat" in my game.

The Gast Family - Sophie Gast - Shepherd
The Collin Family - John Collin and Mary Collin (husband and wife) - Shepherd
The Hart Family - Matthew Hart - Shepherd
The Woodhouse Family - Aaron Woodhouse and Alice Woodhouse (brother and sister) - Wheat Farmer

I am still in the midst of setting up a functional medieval neighborhood. For financial support or personal aspirations, my Sims may enter career jobs.
Test Subject
#40 Old 12th May 2014 at 9:43 PM
Default Shrink/Therapist?
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I just created the first "Shrink Shop", ie, a counseling center for those sims who have personality clashes with each other.

It's not easy to set one up, but it can be done, with a lot of hacks on the lot.

It involves: Inge's meeting controller, her hacked doors, a set of 'captive chairs', lockable doors (that is with the EP that enabled the function, Uni, I do believe ), a hacked flamingo, a visitor manager from ChristianLov, Two Jeff's Visitor Controller, the bandatron and a very willing 'therapist' to do the talk session in her office.

She didn't succeed totally the first day, but she's on her way to making some of the most cantankerous sims in the neighborhood less hateful toward each other.

It also makes money!

How do you get a shrink? Do you have a regular sim that has the career?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#41 Old 12th May 2014 at 10:32 PM
They didn't get a shrink- they pretended a playable was a shrink. Don't touch the in game therapist, it will blow up your game. He is a universal untouchable object in your installation files, not a sim.
They set it up with the mods mentioned and it was a playable sim. As I said on the other thread you can do things with mods and a little imagination.

Hopefully Fran H will elaborate on just what she had her playable therapist do. My guess is they had an unlocked shrink outfit, talked to the patient, perhaps had them use the electric chair career reward. I'm interested to know what else she did.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#42 Old 13th May 2014 at 4:08 AM
I'd call it 'group therapy' for actual accuracy. While I could have had a 'playable' therapist in costume on hand, what I did do was have a bandatron, some hacked chairs, (which make sims stay seated) and a mood flamingo hack (hidden from view, because sims love to kick flamingos!)

How I played it was: A pixel would buy the building, and set the price on the bandatron, choose which types of customers he wanted (all adults, of course), sit down and wait. 'Patients' would show up, pay their fee and proceed to sit down and talk for hours. He made money from his 'talk therapy' because everyone was always feeling better when they were there.

For individual patients, he had an office upstairs which he only allowed 2 people to visit, and locked the door for privacy. This actually requires a different hack which selects sims and teleports them into the lot. (Inge's meeting controller, if you're curious.)

I couldn't play both scenarios at the same time, because people would be pounding on the door, so it was either 'group therapy' or individual counseling on any given day. The individual therapy wasn't expensive but it still did cost money.

List of hacks involved in this arrangement (actually required to make this lot work as intended):

Two Jeff's VIsitor Controller
Inge's meeting controller
Inge's Sim Transporter bush (multiple sims)
Gnohman's hacked mood flamingo of ecstasy
XPTL's hacked chair

Just thinking of that lot reminds me that I should recreate it, as a 'marriage counselor' or 'family relations' counselor..
It was fun, and profitable!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#43 Old 13th May 2014 at 4:22 AM
What chair is that?

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#44 Old 13th May 2014 at 5:25 AM
I just opened the Sweat Spot, a family-run business that specializes in selling sports equipment.

Take the Hard Hat Challenge. A relatively quick challenge designed to be added into almost any established hood.

Hollow Tune - Brick 'N' Mortar.

{San-Yip-See-Ah}
Mad Poster
#45 Old 13th May 2014 at 6:05 AM
One of the neighborhoods I'm currently working on is kind of a twist on the traditional vacation 'hood (it's actually a shopping district- I grew up in a town that most people just visit, so I wanted to be able to play the "other side" of the vacation dynamic- the people who live there permanently!) Obviously no hotels here, since it wouldn't be any use, but I'm gradually trying to work my way through the other stereotypical vacation elements, and one that I was particularly fond of (before my game crashed without my having saved it! ) was a souvenir shop, where I intended my Sims to mark items like the native-Sim pottery, various Western-looking sculptures, etc. for sale (kind of like the gift shops in my El Tovar and La Posada hotel lots, except functional!)

Curse you "This application has crashed. This application will now terminate." window!!! CURSE YOU!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#46 Old 13th May 2014 at 6:18 AM
You can make pretend hotels though. You just need the sleep on community lot mod and main doors and your sims can take a room and sleep there. No room service but it could have a restaurant.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#47 Old 13th May 2014 at 12:09 PM
Quote:
What chair is that?

I know you cannot find it here...but if you wish, I can send you the link to the chair that I've got. I've asked XPTL297, and he's ok with sharing it. I can also do this for the hacked flamingo, which isn't readily available either.

It's called 'the captive chair' and it makes sims sit until summoned to move. It's also autonomous.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#48 Old 13th May 2014 at 12:32 PM
Thanks, I'd like that; XPTL's items are hard to get.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#49 Old 14th May 2014 at 3:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Thanks, I'd like that; XPTL's items are hard to get.

Pls do Fran, and I have a question guys. How do you use SimPE? Is there a thread that I can follow? Can someone link me pls? Thx in adv.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 14th May 2014 at 3:37 PM
There is a lot of XPTL mods here: http://sims2graveyard.com/index.html

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Page 2 of 3