Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 3:52 AM
I believe this is too Opera ? Anyone heard about her ?

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKhmFSV-XB0

Jackie Evancho is her name , and she did a duo with sarah Brightman !

- Shaar: I only have *ONE*god ! and it's ME! -
- My mind is rpg , My heart is Music and My gender is Art -
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 3:55 AM Last edited by RoseCity : 18th Mar 2012 at 3:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
Nessun dorma

- Franco Corelli

- Mario del Monaco

- Luciano Pavarotti

People are still discussing who of these three (or some other one) was the best Calaf. Rather pointlessly, I think, but one thing is sure: differences in interpretation are fascinating.

An obligatory warning: as far as these clips are concerned, differences in sound quality are (much too) obvious, Corelli's being the worst.

On the basis of the 3 clips, I'm voting for Franco Corelli. Because the 'vincero's are what the whole aria is building toward and he makes them sound easy, even the last one with a smooth transition from the B to the A.
I had to laugh when the people encircle him and strike poses while the chorus is singing 'Il nome suo nessun sapra..' and he's looking down like where the hell did you guys come from?
I like the Mario del Monaco one, but he kind of blows off the last vincero which for me takes him out of the running to be the best. Although I guess he isn't required to hold the notes - it's just what I'm used to hearing.

Quote: Originally posted by Bodhie
I believe this is too Opera ? Anyone heard about her ?

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKhmFSV-XB0

Jackie Evancho is her name , and she did a duo with sarah Brightman !

It reminds me of what you might hear at a recital, not professional level singing. Yes, I realize she's a kid. But I have no idea what famous opera singers were doing as children or how they learned - probably protecting their voice was the most important thing. And they changed the aria - left out 'O Dio, vorrei morir' and a 'Babbo, pietà' and ended on a high note.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 7:42 PM
Ok I'm posting here something from my roomate (for you all to enjoy ) . She say since there are differents peoples here on this forum , she say that you guys (who know Opera better then me ) you may like this stuff .

1 - Frühling (Printemps) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSCN...&feature=fvwrel

2 - September (Septembre) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GasnP2KgFII

3 - Beim Schlafengehen (Going to sleep) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De_G...feature=related

4 - Im Abendrot (Au crépuscule) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfGo...feature=related

Ici, les 4 lieders en allemand et en traduction anglaise she say : here the 4 lieders(she say lieders are poetry + music*By Richard Strauss* done by a soprano of XXe siècle done by l'austro-allemande Elizabeth Schwarzkop) , in German *allemand* and in English (translated maybe?) .)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_L...r.C3.BChling.22

Hope you guys like this stuff , enjoy !

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 19th Mar 2012 at 5:49 AM
Laura Claycomb

She is rather good. Her voice, is obviously, Soprano ^.^ I really like her voice, I am not sure even why. I guess I can feel her emotions behind the music

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Test Subject
#30 Old 19th Mar 2012 at 11:18 PM
Default :d
Shes gives out free stuff! :D
Mad Poster
#31 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 12:22 AM
@ Levera - Her voice is very beautiful.
@ Bodhie - Love her interpretations of the Strauss 4 Last Songs.

Milada Subrtova - O silver moon (Mesicku na nebi hlubokem) Rusalka/Antonin Dvorak
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#32 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoseCity
@ Levera - Her voice is very beautiful.
@ Bodhie - Love her interpretations of the Strauss 4 Last Songs.

Milada Subrtova - O silver moon (Mesicku na nebi hlubokem) Rusalka/Antonin Dvorak

She has such a beautiful voice. @_@ <--- my dazed face

I would love to go to an actual live Opera, I do believe that would be so amazing, and a beautiful tone to my ears :D

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 21st Mar 2012 at 12:41 PM
We don’t have it here but to be honest In the last 3 Month I may have watched 4 hours TV all together.
Because I moved in a new house and there was a cable problem so I had a TV but could not reseve any programs…grrrrrr but know finally it works…
The only think I know about it was the persiflage from southpark.

*.*:*.*:*.*:*.*:*.*:*.*:*.*:*.*:
We do not see things as they are.
We see them as we are.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 4:54 AM
It's not as good as seeing it live, but somebody put the Opera National de Paris production of Rusalka from 2002 with Renee Fleming on youtube.
Part 1
Part 2
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 8:53 AM
Rosecity, you cease to amaze me with your taste in Opera. I absolutely loved it.

So, here comes my question:

Does anyone like "The Phantom of the Opera"?

Mad Poster
#36 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 9:16 PM Last edited by RoseCity : 14th Jun 2013 at 8:55 PM.
Not opera, but you might like it.
Pie Jesu - Gabriel Fauré - Requiem - Oxford Camerata
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoseCity
Not opera, but you might like it.

Pie Jesu - Requiem - Gabriel Fauré

That was utterly amazing! I loved it So amazing. Thank you, Rosecity!

Does anyone here like Sarah Brightman? She wouldn't classify as "Opera" but she has a beautiful voice

Think of Me---Sarah Brightman

Lab Assistant
#38 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 8:04 AM
I LOVE sarah Brightman :lovestruc but then...Jackie Came and she did a duo with Sarah..and Sarah got squached But I still love Brightman because she has awesome song like 'Deliver Me' and 'time to say Goodbye'

Jackie + Sarah Duo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qecULT01iE

Test Subject
#39 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 6:16 PM Last edited by Kierkyguard : 16th Jun 2013 at 7:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Yazoo
Alright, I know. I probably would be the last person that anyone expected to like Opera. But I don't like it. I love it. The power behind the singing, is just utterly amazing. Sounds almost an angel (In my ears) as they sing. Their voice is beautiful, and just...Powerful. I do have a few favorite opera singers:

Nana Mouskouri

Maria Callas

Luciano Pavarotti

And there is more. But I just love their singing.

Soooooooo is there any other people like opera? Hmm hmm hmm :D

I absolutely adore Opera I'm a soprano in training myself. I love love LOVE Maria Callas... Also Diane Damrau, Mirella Freni, Monserrat Caballé, Janet Baker and Cecilia Bartoli.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 3:37 AM
I love the little I've heard, but am not the least bit knowledgeable about it. If I could afford it, I'd go see it. I went to Carmen once. We were stuffed into a balcony and it wasn't my favorite tale, but I still enjoyed it immensely.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 5:24 AM
Instructor
#42 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 6:46 AM
I know famous songs,by composers, but tend to mix them all up! Perhaps, I'm more interested in the music, then the lyrics? Seeing I prefer a tenor, like Pavarotti & Bocelli. But, I don't like the high octave soprano in women. However, I like Sarah Brightman, and grew up with Nana Maskouri's music, her voice is beautiful. But, going to an opera, does not interest me. I can appreciate the training and gift of a high soprano. But can only handle it in small doses.

Who knows though, maybe if I saw an opera live, i'd feel differently?
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#43 Old 15th Jun 2013 at 9:44 AM
I enjoy listening to classical and operatic singing. I have only been to one opera - Carmen (done with a modern take) as they're far too expensive to go and see. I also enjoy musical theatre.

I sing in a local choir and we perform stuff from Vivaldi's Gloria to a Queen (the rock band) medley! I am an alto.
Test Subject
#44 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 12:48 PM
Opera is giving me a headache.
#45 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 2:35 AM
Sure, I'm using it right now--oh wait a second, we're talking music here?! Oh crap

Then no, not really. *blushes*
Undead Molten Llama
#46 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 3:25 AM
Meh, sopranos. Give me a good contralto any day. Like Eula Beal (with bonus Yehudi Menuhin on violin). Or Marian Anderson. (Look her up; she was awesome.)

That said, I'm a professional classical musician with a deep, dark secret: I pretty much hate opera. Mostly it's because of its focus on sopranos, to be honest, whom I just don't really appreciate. No offense to anyone who might be one, but...I just never have appreciated soprano singing. Don't really know why, other than my ears just do not well tolerate the upper end of the ranges. (For the same reason, I'm not really fond of violins, either. That's why I play the cello. )

I do like classical vocal stuff very well, but my tastes run more to the choral (I LOVE Masses and oratorios) or the solo recitals of not-sopranos. I'm good with altos. Tenors. Baritones. (YUM!) Countertenors.

In fact, I REAAAAALLY like countertenors. Almost as much as I like baritones. And the nice thing is that they're enjoying a popularity resurgence. (Look up Bejun Mehta.) Countertenors can often go as high as a your average female soprano, but their voice lacks...I dunno...the shrillness. The tone is different than a mezzo, too. It's just...unique.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#47 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 8:51 AM
Oh iCad, i'm with you on this one, but that might be because I'm an alto

I love choral music but then again I'm biased again cos I sing in a choir. The choir has recently performed Faure's Requiem, with a violin, cello, harp and organ accompaniment! It was beautiful!
Undead Molten Llama
#48 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by karen lorraine
Oh iCad, i'm with you on this one, but that might be because I'm an alto

My bias likely exists because I'm a woman who sings tenor. I can appreciate, from a technical viewpoint, a good soprano, but honestly, half the time I want to tell them to STFU. If anyone ever wrote an opera with no sopranos and no diva-esque tenors...Well, that'd be an opera I'd go see. Otherwise...Meh.

Quote:
I love choral music but then again I'm biased again cos I sing in a choir. The choir has recently performed Faure's Requiem, with a violin, cello, harp and organ accompaniment! It was beautiful!

Hey, I can play 3/4 of those instruments! Well, OK, I imagine the harp was a concert pedal harp, which I CAN play, but I prefer my lever harp, which is more of a folk instrument. And I love playing organ, when I get a chance to play one. Anyway, Faure's Requiem is lovely, and I especially like the Agnus Dei...But then, that's usually my favorite movement of any mass. They always make me cry, but in a good way. I don't think I could ever sing a Mass, because I'd be too busy bawling in various parts. I get misty-eyed enough when I'm accompanying.

Oooh! And I also wanted to ask in my other post but forgot: You mentioned a Queen medley your choir sang. (I love it when choirs do popular stuff.) I wanted to ask what songs were included. I imagine "Bohemian Rhapsody" would be a natural, but what others? *is Queen fan* Gotta love a rock band that includes not one but TWO countertenors. Woo! :lovestruc

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
#49 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 8:42 PM
This isn't what you would typically call an opera, but Repo! The Genetic Opera is a great one. It has Sarah Brightman in it. (Also Alexa Vega, Bill Mosely, and Paris Hilton)
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#50 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Hey, I can play 3/4 of those instruments! Well, OK, I imagine the harp was a concert pedal harp, which I CAN play, but I prefer my lever harp, which is more of a folk instrument. And I love playing organ, when I get a chance to play one. Anyway, Faure's Requiem is lovely, and I especially like the Agnus Dei...But then, that's usually my favorite movement of any mass. They always make me cry, but in a good way. I don't think I could ever sing a Mass, because I'd be too busy bawling in various parts. I get misty-eyed enough when I'm accompanying.
Yes the harp was a concert pedal harp. It was a new arrangement by David Hill http://youtu.be/-A5dPI0_4Kk. We hired a professional harpist and used 2 students for the cello and violin and a local organist (who is also a music teacher) for the Faure, it was awesome! We have 2 very good sopranos who sing in the choir so one of them sang the soprano solos and we had a guest baritone singer, not a professional but a very good amateur.

Quote:
Oooh! And I also wanted to ask in my other post but forgot: You mentioned a Queen medley your choir sang. (I love it when choirs do popular stuff.) I wanted to ask what songs were included. I imagine "Bohemian Rhapsody" would be a natural, but what others? *is Queen fan* Gotta love a rock band that includes not one but TWO countertenors. Woo! :lovestruc
Lol, yes I love Queen too The medley contains the following songs: We Will Rock You, Another One Bites the Dust, We Are the Champions, Bohemian Rhapsody and then reprises We Are the Champions.

A couple of years ago we did a concert called Baroque to Rock. We started with the Vivaldi Gloria and finished with the Queen Medley.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Page 2 of 3