Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
#26 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 8:09 PM
ZenGarden, please stop posting the same problem in a bunch of different threads. Please stop double and triple posting. Both of these are against the site rules.

While you're (patiently) waiting for someone to help you in one thread, you might want to re-read the site rules, especially these:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=289713
Advertisement
transmogrified
retired moderator
#27 Old 4th Jan 2013 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
But i had to turn it back to '' true '' since the simpleTerrain false slows down my gameplay

ZenGarden, the original post makes it very clear that you should only modify the files as described if your computer has the specs to support it. The file you're altering was created by EA to prevent users from stressing their hardware to the breaking point. However, because TS2 was developed 6+ years ago, the file can't always properly identify new, high-end GPUs. If you don't know whether your machine is strong enough to handle the change, please post your specs in Game Help and reference this thread for the problem you're having.
Instructor
#28 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 2:49 PM
The Game Help thread is not loading for me. Anybody got a direct link to it?

In the meantime, here's my question: I installed just the base game on my laptop in order to make BG compatible lots (AGS doesn't work for me...long story. I still have the game with all my EPs and SPs on a desktop). All the graphics defaulted to the highest settings, so I'm wondering is safe to turn off simple terrain? I have an integrated graphics chip. Just curious, because I intend to turn it off to take pictures whether it's safe to do so or not.
Site Helper
#29 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 4:26 PM
Integrated graphics chips are rarely powerful enough to warrant this. You can damage your laptop by over-stressing it.
Test Subject
#30 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ.
Hm... let's see.

I've tried doing the tutorial while I had an old Intel integrated chipset. It wasn't a good idea.

What was happening, is that the flythroughs didn't play at all. It was very difficult for the chip to handle, so therefore it was just 'a lag' while the flythrough should've played.

Second, it was a bitch when it comes to scrolling through the neighborhood. Small dots would flash all over the hood as it would move (so therefore, 'Neighborhood Camera Drift' should never be on in my case) - and it looked like this - on random spots, and around 20 of them in a shot.

Then, if I've been in the hood for too long (or I've played the game for couple of hours and then exited to the hood) the grass would get all blurry. Which I believe is a sign to shut down your computer immediately if you have an integrated graphics.

---

To conclude, follow the link I gave you in my first post. If you find your graphics card there (under Yes-Yes-Yes, of course), there shouldn't be any problems. If your graphics card is not listed, feel free to ask if it's okay to run the game in the Computer & Software Help forum. If you have an integrated graphics, almost everything could/should go wrong, unfortunately.

ETA: Oh yes, feel free to include your specs! Although I might not know much about that, I'll show my best.

I don't know anything at all about graphics or how I can tell if I have integrated graphics or not But I've been playing the game with the gross grass and water on my laptop for a year now. I did the fix, and it worked, but my game crashed. This doesn't usually happen, but it has in the past and I don't know if it was a coincidence or it was because of the fix. I couldn't find my graphics card on the list at all, and I don't know how to get my computer specs. I was wondering if you could help? I would LOVE to play with smooth neighborhoods again if at all possible. But I also can't afford a new computer :p
Site Helper
#31 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 5:47 PM
First, find your system specs:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lp:System_Specs

Then, figure out which graphics card or chip you have. Then, google. I find that adding the word "integrated" to the search parameters will usually find articles which tell you whether your graphics are integrated or not. There is one family of chips which comes up over and over again on this site: if you have Intel graphics, you can be pretty sure that your computer is not up to playing the game.

If all else fails, you can post your system specs in the hardware forum to ask whether your computer is up to playing the game.
Test Subject
#32 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
First, find your system specs:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lp:System_Specs

Then, figure out which graphics card or chip you have. Then, google. I find that adding the word "integrated" to the search parameters will usually find articles which tell you whether your graphics are integrated or not. There is one family of chips which comes up over and over again on this site: if you have Intel graphics, you can be pretty sure that your computer is not up to playing the game.

If all else fails, you can post your system specs in the hardware forum to ask whether your computer is up to playing the game.

Thank you! I am actually super dumb about computers and stuff like that, so I just posted in what was hopefully the correct forum :p
Site Helper
#33 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 3:56 PM
Yes, that's an Intel integrated graphics chip, which means that it's not powerful enough to play the Sims 2. More information in your thread.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 7:19 PM Last edited by Chammalia : 22nd Feb 2013 at 7:34 PM.
Thank you so much!
Field Researcher
#35 Old 18th Mar 2013 at 5:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Saturnfly
I'm so desperate to try this, but I'm scared my computer will do horrible things. 3:

I know what you mean! I'm afraid things will happen to mine too.
Test Subject
#36 Old 8th May 2013 at 8:15 PM
Do you need to save the notepad document?
Forum Resident
#37 Old 8th May 2013 at 8:16 PM
Isnt this a video card issue?

If you have a low end card this usually happens right?

It happens on my crap graphics card laptop, but not my high end graphics desktop.
Theorist
Original Poster
#38 Old 8th May 2013 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by moggy2010
Do you need to save the notepad document?

No Moggy, you're just going to leave it that way... Of course you need to!
Test Subject
#39 Old 24th Sep 2013 at 3:08 PM
Unforutnately this has just made my choppy water grey, please help, I don't think I can go on living with such unrealistic neighbourhoods...
Site Helper
#40 Old 24th Sep 2013 at 5:53 PM
Is your graphics card powerful enough? If it isn't, this technique won't help (but it might destroy your computer).
Test Subject
#41 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 7:05 AM
1) How do I make a back up of the Graphic thing
2) Please guide me through this
3) I have another problem, sometimes my sims start flipping their tables...In other words, they are "stretched" out (The graphics explode out of the screen), textures sometimes come in weird, and when I view sims at their home windows...sometimes only their lower body is there. Oh and walker bys sometimes makes the lot fritz out to...I NEED HELP D;
Instructor
#42 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xxDarknessSaiyanxx
(The graphics explode out of the screen)

Do you mean like this? If so, that's a very bad thing and your graphics card could be damaged.
Test Subject
#43 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ttowntallyho
Do you mean like this? If so, that's a very bad thing and your graphics card could be damaged.

Well I dont think I can get a new graphics card...So there's like no other way to fix it for the moment?
Instructor
#44 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 9:37 PM
There's no real way to "fix" it. If you want the game to stop artifacting (exploding graphics), then you need to turn down the graphics settings and/or uninstall some EPs. But this just covers up the symptoms. I definitely wouldn't follow the OP's tutorial and just stick with the hay grass.
Site Helper
#45 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 9:48 PM
Here's an article with some advice: Game_Help:Onboard_Graphicswiki

The main thing is that you do NOT want to follow this tutorial, since it will place additional strain on an already-overworked computer.

Your best option is to uninstall almost everything. Keep the base game and maybe Uni, NL, OFB. Everything else should go. If you continue to have problems, start uninstalling the latest EP (OFB, then NL, then Uni). If you still have problems with the base game, and with your graphics options turned down, then stop playing on this computer.
Theorist
Original Poster
#46 Old 29th Sep 2013 at 11:52 AM
As I said, you need to have an adequate graphics in order to follow my tutorial. If not, you're on your own.

Any card that doesn't have all greens in the link in my original post most probably won't be able to handle the extra strain.
Test Subject
#47 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 2:09 PM
It is also possible to wiew this by simply putting the command in the cheat line.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#48 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 3:20 PM
Yes, but then you have to do so every single time you start the game.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#49 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Yes, but then you have to do so every single time you start the game.

I suppose so, I just thought it would be easier to try it out that way before messing around in advanced settings
Theorist
Original Poster
#50 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 8:21 PM
I'm not really that tech-savy, but I think it'd be better if you gave the game no other choice but to load the hq terrain texture (by renaming all simpleTerrains to false) than to give the game a command and force it to switch textures on the go. But if it works for you, you could even try and dump the cheat in the userStartup.cheat.

Just make sure you have Reflections set to on, otherwise the water will turn black.
Page 2 of 4