Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#15801 Old 15th Apr 2018 at 11:08 PM
@ConvictedDreamer
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#15802 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 4:47 AM Last edited by Frogsnack : 16th Apr 2018 at 5:01 AM.
Of dreams and dreamscapes (or something less poetic this really isn't a large update for this story lol).

1.26 The Eater of Itself

@ConvictedDreamer- these have probably been around a while, but I literally googled 'sketchy sims 3 lot' to find it. Some seem simple but useful for all kinds of things, I think I'm going to bookmark them myself. One is literally called the 'House of Ill Repute" And the Roxberry Lounge looks good.
http://www.mysimrealty.com/Sims3_Co..._LateNight.html

Glad to see so many updates this week, and from everyone who was writing when I started (so "long ago" lol) The gang's back together, it feels go~od :3
Screenshots

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Scholar
Original Poster
#15803 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 6:50 PM
New stuff posted...

Goldbeard RLC: Chapter 141: What Measure is a Clown
Lawful Chaotic: 1.7 Second Gnome Spawns
Scholar
#15804 Old 21st Apr 2018 at 8:31 AM
I have another update, Chapter 4.3
Field Researcher
#15805 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 3:47 AM
In which things are only as magical as you believe they are, or I am a sappy romantic in a platonic way right now.
1.26 It Really Is Magical
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#15806 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 11:58 AM
Scholar
Original Poster
#15807 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 4:44 PM
Yay! Stuff to read! :D

I have updates of my own...
Goldbeard RLC: Chapter 142: All Night
Lawful Chaotic: 1.8 Voters Love Babies
Field Researcher
#15808 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 1:34 AM Last edited by heatherfeather19 : 28th Apr 2018 at 11:24 PM.
@Big Mud I avoid building/decorating when I can. It wears me out and I just want to get back to playing! :P

Update: Chapter 9.12 "Snow Day Daze"

Edited to fix the link >.<
Scholar
#15809 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 9:12 AM
Joining the update train with Chapter 4.4
Field Researcher
#15810 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 10:23 AM
So guys, I have a question about the rules, regarding teen part-time jobs and rabbit-hole careers, and, I suppose, the NRaas Careers mod.

NRaas Careers gives the ability to add extra part-time jobs to the game, and some of those part-time jobs are directly linked to a rabbit-hole career. If your sim reaches level 3 of their part-time job and they join the full-time job of that same career, they gain 'experience' towards the career which gives them instant promotions. I would've had no issue with that whatsoever, but I recently realised the jump is a bit ridiculous. If a sim maxed their part-time job, they will automatically jump to level SIX of the full-time job. O_o That's a bit much, isn't it?

I saw it happening before with Mia, but I thought she got 3 levels from her part-time career (which would make sense to me) and 3 levels from her degree, but the sim I just had it happen to doesn't have a degree, and that sim jumped directly to level 6 as well. So basically, doing this will cause your sim to skip 3 levels.

Are we okay with this?

Call me Ann, or ConDre/condre.

_~...~_
Scholar
Original Poster
#15811 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ConvictedDreamer
So guys, I have a question about the rules, regarding teen part-time jobs and rabbit-hole careers, and, I suppose, the NRaas Careers mod.

NRaas Careers gives the ability to add extra part-time jobs to the game, and some of those part-time jobs are directly linked to a rabbit-hole career. If your sim reaches level 3 of their part-time job and they join the full-time job of that same career, they gain 'experience' towards the career which gives them instant promotions. I would've had no issue with that whatsoever, but I recently realised the jump is a bit ridiculous. If a sim maxed their part-time job, they will automatically jump to level SIX of the full-time job. O_o That's a bit much, isn't it?

I saw it happening before with Mia, but I thought she got 3 levels from her part-time career (which would make sense to me) and 3 levels from her degree, but the sim I just had it happen to doesn't have a degree, and that sim jumped directly to level 6 as well. So basically, doing this will cause your sim to skip 3 levels.

Are we okay with this?

I've never messed around with the Careers mod, but it seems like this is cheaty. Weirdly, #2 under mods specifically allows it. Is that a new feature of the mod, perhaps, that was added long after this challenge was written?

There are several rules I would change if I were to rewrite the challenge, but doing so could lead to confusion and disagreement so I've been afraid to try to have that discussion. We also have so many players who are only here sporadically who would miss said discussion.
Field Researcher
#15812 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 11:28 PM
Yeah, that really is a bit much. Maybe mastercontroller them back to level 3 or so? I definitely get that they would have a career boost, but they're more than halfway to running the company from just their part time job experience. xD

I'm definitely okay with talking about the rules/possible changes. Er, maybe I shouldn't say that because I'm almost done with my legacy.
Field Researcher
#15813 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 12:32 AM
A Silverly update!

1.16 Out
Scholar
Original Poster
#15814 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 12:35 AM
Nobody's ever done! They just start a new legacy. ;D

One thing I could do is create a "new" rule set for the group to workshop, leaving the "old" one up for people who still want to use it... then again "if it's not broke, don't fix it" may apply here. Hmmm.
Lab Assistant
#15815 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heatherfeather19
Er, maybe I shouldn't say that because I'm almost done with my legacy.

Don't tell us you're not planning to continue on with generation 11!

Quote: Originally posted by NutsAndDolts
One thing I could do is create a "new" rule set for the group to workshop, leaving the "old" one up for people who still want to use it... then again "if it's not broke, don't fix it" may apply here. Hmmm.

I don't see why we shouldn't reexamine the rules! After all, we've had discussions in the past and some interesting points came up. Keeping the original rule set intact and just offering the option of revised rules sounds good though
Field Researcher
#15816 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 12:46 PM
I too think we should reexamine the rules, maybe try and think of any new stuff to add too (i don't have any ideas, i'm just absently spitballing), I mean, it can't hurt, right?

Also I agree that the Diffy's can never end, I need more floor sims, cats and sims named after TV shows! The antics are necessary!

eternal trash x

currently suffering through a degree, but at least i'm a woman in stem i guess

live laugh love besties x
Lab Assistant
#15817 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 3:06 PM
Finally an update (like 4 months late). So much insanity in my life right now and my game was being a butt so I kind of shunned it for a while.

Chapter 3.6: Happier

I'm not opposed to a revamping of the rules although I feel they work pretty well as they are.

~*Keyneky*~

-Also, I can kill you with my brain.-
Field Researcher
#15818 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 3:45 PM
Another Silverly update!

1.17 Cramped
Field Researcher
#15819 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 4:38 PM
Yeah, I thought that careers thing seemed a bit cheaty. XD

Well, I'm definitely not averse to re-examining the rules a bit. I kinda feel like as long as there are people playing the challenge, it's still evolving. I've even been contemplating adding another option to my Marital Structure rolls just to give a little more chance of rolling something non-couple - in my play-for-fun legacy I rolled couple variations 5 generations in a row. I'm a bit tired of couples. -_-

And we should add a Free-Loader/Moocher career where you can only make money selling the gifts other sims insist on showering your sims with. (< Totally not serious about this one. I'm just annoyed at constantly having to shift-clicking away the junk that clutters up my family inventory. XD)

_~...~_
Field Researcher
#15820 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 5:21 PM
Moocher could be an interesting career. It could like also incorporate the option to steal stuff with the klepto trait xD Then again, can someone really live off of trying to steal a car but actually stealing the light next to it?

Usually with martial rolls, I even it out more, so like 5 integers for each option instead of one having like 9 and others having 1, purely because I like interesting rolls! (also I have the kids more even-ish too, I've gotten rid of the option to have one because that's too little for me, I love massive families in my games xD)

Also, just a heads up: my old laptop kicked the bucket (hard drive broke, v sad, Ariadne the laptop is dead, let's all give a warm welcome to Persephone the laptop) and I literally backed up nothing. I'm not really classing it as cheating by recreating and remaking current generation people (heir and help) because I've done too many cheaty things to consider this cheating tbh, it's just a heads up that my sims /will/ look different because, well, under spoilers because I'm rambley

eternal trash x

currently suffering through a degree, but at least i'm a woman in stem i guess

live laugh love besties x
Scholar
Original Poster
#15821 Old 1st May 2018 at 1:43 AM
That's a good point about the weighting of family structure rolls. I think I'd like to reexamine how the careers are weighted, too. If we could even them out, we might not even need a special secondary income section... you'd just roll for income for every adult using the same, more evenly weighted chart. It would simplify things.

So should we just ban the careers mod entirely? There are already so many careers, I never saw it as necessary to have custom ones (which seems like the mod's main feature), but I'd like to hear the opinions of people who use it.

Stealing is a lot different from mooching, I think. xD

I also have some updates...
Goldbeard RLC: Chapter 143: The Good Twin
Lawful Chaotic: 1.9 Born to Rock
Field Researcher
#15822 Old 1st May 2018 at 8:05 AM
I don't think we should ban the mod entirely. I actually use it for its other features - mainly the custom tones and extra after-school activities, but I do like the variety it gives for part-time careers. Maybe we should just ban sims from having the associated part-time job if they rolled a rabbit-hole career? That's the only time it's really cheaty, imo.

And I definitely agree we should look at the weighing of the rolls. I like the idea of making the marital structures/careers all equal - I never noticed they aren't because I normally use the app to roll.

_~...~_
Lab Assistant
#15823 Old 1st May 2018 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Keyneky
Thank you for the info. I spent far too much time last night trying to get the basics of meshing down. I did not succeed. I did, however, find exactly what I wanted but for TS4. Now I'm undertaking the task of converting those for TS3. As of right now I have the letter A done. Wish me luck!

Remember way back when (this past January) when I spent way too much of my time trying to find deco simlish letters for my sims? No? That's cool. I did end up finding some for TS4 here. I somehow managed to figure out how to clone and convert these for TS3 using TSR Workshop. (Thanks YouTube!) This is what I managed to make (large picture, sorry about that):

Yay, me? I'm going to place some of the blame of my long break on this endeavor.

~*Keyneky*~

-Also, I can kill you with my brain.-
Field Researcher
#15824 Old 1st May 2018 at 3:27 PM
So a bit late to the discussion but I love the idea of a moocher career, or as a thief you sim would have to be good enough friends with townies to get access to their homes more than once, so they could steal the bigger items. I tried a 'live off what you steal only' challenge once (self titled, I never uploaded rules or anything), and basically sims can even steal toilets but kitchens are difficult, they never seem to steal counters so I had to buy a few things but had a very eclectic house. So even a variant of the 'great collection' (whatever it's called as a hobby) would be 'display all stolen trophies in the home, only sell duplicates' would be interesting and makes for some fun deco.

As for the careers mod it's on my list to try because I thought you could homeschool with it, but I'd like to use it eventually.

Also separate rolls for each adult would be a cool idea (I like this idea for extra kids actually), but I do like how they're divided now, but then again I haven't played a lot of them yet. I think owning different types of businesses around town could be a roll option too, like if they're a chef they could buy the bistro or own the bakery, that sort of thing. And then there could be a separate roll, 'live off your parent's fortune, part time jobs only' where your founder just sits on their parents wealth (for gen one there could be a monetary bonus or waiver of the roll)

Scholar
Original Poster
#15825 Old 1st May 2018 at 4:18 PM Last edited by NutsAndDolts : 1st May 2018 at 4:50 PM.
@ConvictedDreamer Thanks for the feedback on the career mod. I think that sounds reasonable.

@Keyneky Awesome! Can we download your work somewhere?

@Frogsnack You aren't late to the discussion! It's ongoing.

I hate the idea of a moocher career (I also have no tact), but I can easily add it and just exempt myself from rolling it if there's enough interest in having it. (I already do this for dumpster divers. Because eeeewwwwwwww.)

There's a "none" "career" (section D #14), where the sim is unemployed. If we end up merging section C and D, you will have a chance of rolling that for your heir, not just the spouse. That presents a problem for generation 1 if you have a single parent and they roll unemployed, but we could (a) allow a re-roll in that case or (b) laugh and remind that person they can still do opportunities.

I don't want to add a bunch of rolls that basically have your sim be unemployed, since we already have one, and people may find it very boring, especially if they play the challenge to give structure to their sandbox game.

I'm not sure what you mean by separate rolls for kids? Please explain? Do you mean roll for # of children each adult in the household has? That could lead to overstuffing (especially with full house rolls) and confusion about whether or not a kid counts twice if you control both parents.

I kind of like the current weighting on the number of kids, because I think rolling 5 kids should be rare as opposed to a one in five chance, but that's open for discussion too.

Currently you're allowed to own any business around town (including rabbit holes, parks, bars, IP resorts and the premium content bakery stuff, which I know nothing about so I don't know how fair this is). There's a roll that requires you to own some (section E #12, Property Mogul), but otherwise it's up to your own discretion. Saying culinary career people could own the bistro or a bakery if they wanted would add nothing to the challenge if we didn't (a) enforce it as a requirement and not an option, or (b) restrict owning properties. Discuss? Which do you guys thinks sounds better? Is it worth changing at all?

I'd also like discussion on the "blogger" career. The rules say your sim can always have a blog, but can only seek donations if they rolled the blogger career. It was added when University Life was new and nobody had messed around with it yet. I haven't actually rolled it yet, but I did have one sim start a blog (non-profiting), and there isn't much to it. It's very much just a side activity that sims can't devote much time to (they'll get negative moodlets and bad reviews if they post too much). Given that level of inactivity, should we merge it as an option of things to do with the journalism career or something, or leave it as-is?

Sports Agents also unlock a specific type of blog they alone can create ("sports review" blog or something; I'd have to open my game and look at what it's called exactly), so if we did merge blogging with Journalism I'd say the sports agent should be allowed to have a sports blog as well.
Page 633 of 676