Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#26 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 12:49 PM
Mine was hands down Superstar. Showtime just isn't the same
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 3:25 PM
The game was not the game until Living Large came along. The Sims was interesting to start with, but it became exciting with Living Large and that's easy to forget. After Living Large, my favorite expansion of all time was Unleashed because I totally love the Louisiana theme from the paneled walls, velour love seat and curtains to the food booths in old town and the jazz player on the community lots. I love Old Town and the families that came with Unleashed, especially the Goths Sr, Claire, and the Hicks. The game play added with gardening was also sorely wanted. And the music - the music! It's my favorite of all time. I listen to a lot of Cajun, Acadian, and Zydeco at home, so this was right up my alley.

After that I liked Makin' Magic the best. But really, I love all the expansions. They all brought much to the game. I remember how fun it was when Hot Date came out and your Sim could finally leave his home! But he couldn't bring the whole family, so I was really thrilled when Vacation came out. When Unleashed was first announced, I thought it would be possible for kids to head down to the neighborhood playground by themselves. I was disappointed that they couldn't. I was also disappointed with how quickly their motives tanked on the community lots. It seems like the perfect place to go and hang out with the neighbors.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Instructor
#28 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 4:01 PM
I really loved them all, however, I'd say Superstar. That's because when I first got it, I didn't like how slow it was to make money, I'd constantly use the slot machines to try increase funds-rosebud never worked for me, I always got the message "no cheating!". Anyways, I almost gave it away, but I stuck with it. Then once I passed the "busker" stage, and actually got into studio town, I really started to enjoy it. I remember trying to figure out what the directions were for my Sims to take, and the frustration from the directors when I had it wrong! I loved seeing my Sims names get into the paper, and seeing them finally get their star! The one thing I hated, and this was before I started going to any Sims sites, was when my Sims were ready to leave Waylon the bartender would be standing in the street. It took having my Sims needs going way down before it would load my neighbourhood. Once, they got home, they'd usually pass out on their lawn!
Mad Poster
#29 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 4:16 PM
Waylon is annoying. He's a bartender with a star over his head and he stands in traffic, causing jams, regularly! I downloaded a fix for him here. (You don't have to register, just scroll down the page.)

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#30 Old 11th Aug 2012 at 3:23 AM
I had so much fun with Vacation when I was younger. I loved the ambiance of Makin' Magic and Hot Date and Superstar gave us so much more to do.

But overall, Unleashed wins. Unleashed opened the game up and brought it to new levels, with a larger neighbourhood, pets, farming and all that. Plus, I love the New Orleans theme it had going on.
Forum Resident
#31 Old 11th Aug 2012 at 12:36 PM
Hot Date was a BOMBSHELL. People who started off with Sims 2 can't imagine it. Original simmers were stuck....in the neighborhood with all of nine houses. NINE HOUSES! But Hot Date added this whole other area that Sims could "visit", which was a completely new concept. And Unleashed bettered it -- not only did it make the neighborhood comparatively huge, but it added gardens, even if the gophers and such were annoying as all get-out.

As much fun as I had with Superstar and Hot Date, I think Unleashed was the best.
Scholar
#32 Old 11th Aug 2012 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smellincoffee
Hot Date was a BOMBSHELL. People who started off with Sims 2 can't imagine it. Original simmers were stuck....in the neighborhood with all of nine houses. NINE HOUSES! But Hot Date added this whole other area that Sims could "visit", which was a completely new concept. And Unleashed bettered it -- not only did it make the neighborhood comparatively huge, but it added gardens, even if the gophers and such were annoying as all get-out.

As much fun as I had with Superstar and Hot Date, I think Unleashed was the best.

I remember those days, being stuck on your home lot permanently. Although I only remember 8 lots? Hot Date was certainly revolutionary...I can leave my lot, yipee!!!

My absolute favourite was Makin' Magic though. I loved that magic town so much I just wanted to hug it like a cute little puppy. Unleashed was probably my second favourite with Vacation a close third.
#33 Old 11th Aug 2012 at 5:32 PM
1. SUPERSTAAAAR
2. Unleashed
3. Vacation
Scholar
#34 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 8:41 AM
I'm certain there were ten lots in the original neighbourhood. Four in the middle, two on the coast against the river, the two giant lots (one had the mansion on it) and the two small lots.
Test Subject
#35 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 10:32 AM
the complete collections the way to go!
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 3:42 PM

Googled somwhere, all credits to creator. So yes, there were 10 lots.
Test Subject
#37 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 4:56 PM
I loved Makin' Magic, although I never really progressed as far as I would have liked with it. I adored Magic Town itself , and it's the one expansion pack I would really like to have seen updated and added to Sims 2. I'm a little surprised that EA didn't see fit to cash in on the Potter craze by coming up with their own heavily disguised and not at all parasitic version of Hogwarts-style, which is only Scottish Baronial Gothic after all!
I also loved Superstar and all the kitschy sets in Studiotown, even if the whole premise was a bit shallow and show-offy!
I didn't enjoy Unleashed very much. I found that the demands of the pets interfered with my people's storylines too much for my liking and became a nuisance, so almost every lot ended up with the 'No Animals' sign in the end!
And I didn't really get very much fun out of the Vacation one - never enough time to keep the Sims happy and fulfilled and also give them a good time!
Apart from the expansion packs I miss silly little things from the original Sims, like the cheap little side tables. They would look so good in some of my Sims 2 houses!
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 7:16 PM
It's great to see the map. I have a couple printed out myself (forgot what site I got it from but I'm sure I have it bookmarked somewhere). It's easy to Forget that some of the empty lots are numbered and can be built upon, especially some of them way up at the top or in the corner.

As for favorite expansion pack? It's so hard to say, I love them all and got them all when they came out. I remember how excited I was when Livin' Large came out with all those new bright , crazy, tacky objects and wild animal prints. And House Party made it fun to have parties. And I Love Superstar and the Celebrity Town.
Test Subject
#39 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 8:31 PM
Definitely The Sims Makin' Magic, it was the best hands down. i loved they little dragon you could have as a pet that would accidently set fire to everything and the skeleton maid and dueling. The original sims game was the best out of all the sims, it was so fun, i still have all the expansion packs but unfortunately the main disk broke
Instructor
#40 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 9:20 PM
it's between Superstar or Unleashed. It's a hard choice!

Formally known as TotallySimsCrazy. Still addicted to custom content.
Simblr
Field Researcher
#41 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 4:55 PM
For me it's definitely Makin' Magic! And the music was EPIC.
Test Subject
#42 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 2:01 AM
I loved Superstar. Although I could never get them past like, 1 star.
Instructor
#43 Old 23rd Aug 2012 at 11:24 AM
vacation..for some reason the holiday expansions are always my favourite, even though I don't expect them to be.

Bustin' Out!
Inventor
#44 Old 28th Aug 2012 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smellincoffee
Hot Date was a BOMBSHELL.

I remember the wonder of a totally new world. (Well, it wasn't a new world in the TS3 sense but it certainly felt that way.) Hot Day and its interactions remained my favourite right to the end. I am still missing it in TS3.
Test Subject
#45 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 12:29 AM
Makin' Magic or Unleashed. Makin' Magic was a lot of fun and I love the spooky yet whimsical magic world and their take of witches in general. However Unleashed expanded the neighborhood a lot and added pets. I'm upset that the sims 2 didn't have magic like it did in the sims 1 the magic in sims 2 is so lame in comparison. Sims 3 supernatural looks cool but i'm not buying the sims 3 for awhile.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 9:27 PM
I loved Makin' Magic, Livin' Large, and Hot Date. All of those games just skyrocketed the enjoyability of TS1 for me. I loved how the former two expansions did the supernatural angle, and Hot Date was so much fun for obvious reasons.
Alchemist
#47 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 10:36 PM
Unleashed
Vacation
Hot Date

Ahh the Sims 1 days. This thread brings back a few memories
Test Subject
#48 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 3:02 AM
Makin' Magic, Unleashed, and Vacation equally.

MM for it's build/buy music, moving portraits, roller-coasters, carnival games, popcorn, mini golf, and cotton candy; UL for pets and gardening; Vacation for its Vacation Island because it was the closest thing to seasons in the Sims 1. :lovestruc
Test Subject
#49 Old 10th Jan 2013 at 9:59 PM
I loved Makin' Magic. There were the dragon eggs that grew into pets that would eat the flowers and the roller coaster! I remember the first time I played it, it was (graphically) fantastic!

Also, there was a website with downloadable content called Grim Sims. They had all kinds of beautiful objects. I wish it were still around. I kept all my Sims 1 content for years, even after my computer failed. When I switched external Hard Drives, I deleted everything.

Still, I miss it. Nighttime Sims, Sim Freaks and Grim Sims were AWESOME back then. Around the Sims too. And Simorpher and Persimmon Grove. Ack! Too many to count!
Theorist
#50 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 12:41 AM
My top picks in order:

Hot Date - For the added things for couples to do.
Makin' Magic - For the special oven. I loved making the bread and elderberry pie.
Vacation - Who doesn't love to travel?

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Page 2 of 4