Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 4:03 PM
OK, now I finally got my lot to load, and they move like molasses. ..even on maxis-made lots. UGH!!! I've been reinstalling my backed up skins one by one.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 3:45 AM
I had to reinstall TS2, just cause i instaleld it on C, and wanted Ts2 and EP on D, it all works fine, altho the game is pretty lacking in entertainment so far, and as for new items and meshes... Sheesh..... lol.. but the game appears to run excellent, although Slightly lagging...
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 5:28 AM
IMPORTANT!!

If you have a career file in ANY FOLDER in your sims 2 directory the game will crash when loading the lot. Casey had his careers in a folder called dlbackup. His lots kept having this problem and he couldn't play. He moved them to the desktop and the problem vanished.

It doesn't matter if they're in downloads or not -- so the person that said she/he made a "Real Downloads" folder and started with an empty downloads folder -- that's why it didn't work.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#54 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 5:34 AM
BriAnna - Good catch! I will update my FAQ. I already said to remove any careers, but didn't go to grave detail. If you have it in The Sims 2 directory outside of Downloads, it will still be caught.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 5:37 AM
Thank Daysies! He was starting to bruise from keyboard-to-head syndrome.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#56 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 5:40 AM
Oh, dear, BriAnna! That's definitely not good! Anyway, I've updated my FAQ.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...8436#post278436
Scholar
#57 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 1:51 PM
Even though I made sure I had removed all downloaded Careers (I knew from the start that these might cause problems with expansions, because the did in Sims1 so I put them all into a subfolder for easy removal) and hacks, I had the same problem with the families refusing to load.

So, I next removed the entire downloads\ folder, and then all was well.

I didn't realize that careers could sneak in with lots, though - I'm sure that's what it is, I put back all the "named" downloads and the game still works fine.

So, now I have left a bunch of "all - number" named files, some of which CleanPackInstaller does recognize, some it shows no descroption. None are marked as careers or hacks, though.

I'm going to try to find it (them) using the other methods you suggested, if I still can't find the bad files, I will just get rid of the entire load of the "no description" files.

No big deal, I managed to save most of my downloads anyway, if something is missing that I really wanted I'm sure I'll find it again.

Anyway, thanks so much for this post. I was at a loss because I never realized that custom careers could "sneak" in too, and I was about to give up and just delete all my downloads.
#58 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 1:55 PM
so which files do i clear off? i mean, i remember abunch of hacks..but its difficult to find them all with these downloadable programs.
Test Subject
#59 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 1:31 AM
Ok I am gonna be totally honest and say I am computer illiterate. Websites I can work, files I can't. I'm terrified because I have no idea how to recognize the difference between a clothing, picture, hack, career or any different file. I downloaded so many and I'm entirely unsure how to recognize what to remove and what not to and I really don't want to have to delete every item... any help to recognize what file extensions should be pulled?
Test Subject
#60 Old 10th Mar 2005 at 1:35 AM
Oh and a really good question as I begin to pull files... if you only remove some items such as the Alienware computer... and the computer is installed in one of your houses and you go and open that house, what happens then?
#61 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 4:05 AM
Default non compatable mods
it is the custom content after i removed my custom content it went fine it seems to have compatibility issues with university
Moderator of Aardvarks
#62 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Janelloyd20
Ok I am gonna be totally honest and say I am computer illiterate. Websites I can work, files I can't. I'm terrified because I have no idea how to recognize the difference between a clothing, picture, hack, career or any different file. I downloaded so many and I'm entirely unsure how to recognize what to remove and what not to and I really don't want to have to delete every item... any help to recognize what file extensions should be pulled?

There are some programs that will help you organize your downloads. Clean Installer is great with this. Hacks will show up red, duplicates will show up pink, and it will let you know if a file is a wall, floor, object etc. Might give it a try: http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/

Objects that are deleted will just not show up in your game if they are already loaded, it will not cause problems deleting custom content even if it is currently used in a house.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 27th May 2005 at 1:34 AM
Default Nope, not the problem
Quote: Originally posted by ladydrb58
The problem is the download folder. If you remove it, the games loads in seconds and plays just fine. The only thing I had downloaded was new meshes for clothes. I moved my download folder to the desktop and everything works.
I am going to check threads in regards to SimPE and the recolor to see if there are any other conflicts. I have not added anything new to the game because it seem as though anything not Maxis in the download folder will cause the expansion not to play.

I took out the entire download folder with everything... hacks, objects, genetics, clothes, floors, walls, you name it. The game loaded quick as a flash, but I cannot get into any lots at all. Nothing, nada.

Gillian
Test Subject
#64 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 9:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Helper Monkey
I just got University and installed, everything went fine. To test out the new objects first, I tried loading an old family. When loading, the bar completely fills up as usual, but when the bars clear - right before it loads the lot normally, the game does nothing (or at least I think). So far I have waited 30 minutes. Some say it is creating NPCs or reformatting files... but it can't be creating University NPCs when I haven't selected a University for the neighborhood yet. When it comes to reformatting files, it shouldn't take this long. Here's some details on my computer/sims folder:
3.4 GHz processor
512 MB RAM
256 MB ATI Radeon X600 video card
NO Hacks in the downloads folder
Very few objects meshes and/or object recolors
The family is not using ANY custom content in the house or on the Sims (Angela Pleasant and Dirk Dreamer)
My neighborhood character files for Pleasantview total less than 200.
With the details listed, is this load time normal?

i got same proble what you have to do is delete your hacks you downloaded and redownload them one of your hacks are bad thats what happen to me i downloaded the cleaner thing and out of 147 files 40 were red which means bad hack. I delete the download folder and the game loaded fne after that
Page 3 of 3