Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2012 at 9:32 PM
Default Can't install Sims 1 and all it expantions
I have all sims 1 and all it expantions, I wanted to play them plus my other sims game( sims 2 and 3)

When I try to install my sims 1 games , I get a message saying I need to download updates for it to install them. How can I update the updates? Where do I get it?
I have been searching for it and I have no clue where to get them.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Sep 2012 at 9:56 PM
Here are all the patch updates for Sims 1 http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims...e-sims-patches/ . You just install them the same way you do patches on Sims 2 or 3 click and run
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 2:18 AM
Default Still can't play
It still not letting me play the game after i installed all the updates, it still says i need updates Why does it keep saying it?
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 3:55 AM
If the patches are not working than I really can't say. I have the complete collection and have never had a problem installing the game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 5:52 AM
Default can't play my sims game
the patches aren't working, and my computer always say want to update them. then i click yes and I get a message do you want to unstall them
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 6:41 PM
What are your computer specs? I've installed Both the base game and all EP's. And later on my new computer the complete collection. Sims 1 has Never asked me to install any seperate or stand alone patch. The patches always come with the following EP. So if you have all EP's , I don't think you would need to install patches seperately. At least I never have.

Is it Possible your computer is telling you that you need some Other type of computer update or patch, for instance a windows update, a Driver update for graphics card, or any other number of updates?

Are you installing the base game and EP's in proper order?

ALSO you say you are getting a message after you click "Do you want to uninstall them" ? That Sounds like you may need to run it In Compatibility mode. When I was installing my base game and all EP's, whenever I got to Vacation it gave me the uninstall message, until I learned how to run in compatibility mode. What OS are you running? (windows vista, XP, 7 etc?)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 7:51 PM
my computer is lap top and it new, I have Window 7, the message I get is " It has come to our attetion that you have installed another sims expantion pack after The sims Deluxe Edition. For this to work properly, The Sims Deluxe Edition installar will update your installation. Select Okay to proceed. When I click Okay. It unstalls it
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 8:21 PM
This happened to me and I wish I had written down the solution. There is one or should be one. One thing is to bypass the typical menus, go into "My Computer", right click on the disk in the CD drive and run a) in compatibility mode and b) as an administrator. It may not be as straightforward as that. You may have to look around until you can find the option in the menu.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 8:25 PM
I can't play it that way, When i go to the disk and play it, I get the same message
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 2:54 AM
Did you see this thread? http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...stpost&t=482208 Simsample offered some advice that I've never tried but that sounds very reasonable.

Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 8:54 AM
I have the sims 1 collection installed on my laptop and it works a treat. I do'nt think there is away to get updates for the inidival games anymore.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 10:09 AM
@ Artimis - The update dialog happens as you install each expansion, something you wouldn't see with the collection. I think there may still be a patch download tucked away in some corner of the internet for Sims 1, possible at one of the places that has things like the Maxis content downloads like Face Gold, Sim File Cop, etc.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 7:57 PM
I try the other way too and still getting the same message and I have download the patches and I still get the same message and it won't let me play
Mad Poster
#14 Old 22nd Sep 2012 at 12:05 PM
I wish I knew what to say, Shadow07Sims2. I haven't yet tried to install The Sims yet on my new computer with Windows 7, and it's possible that I'll face the same issue as you. In the past, I've found help by searching google using my systme + the Sims or Sims expansion. For example, "Sims Vacation + Vista".

If I find something that works for me, I'll let you know, but it won't be for a while yet since I'm not ready to install the game.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Sep 2012 at 5:36 PM
I already got help with it and it worked
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 23rd Sep 2012 at 6:24 PM
Just out of curiousity Shadow07Sims2, how did you get it to work? What did you do to get it to work?
Test Subject
#17 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 12:14 AM Last edited by scalpearl : 27th Sep 2012 at 5:14 AM.
I'm having this problem too, everytime I try to play it says it needs to update, but the patch is already installed. Then it just asks if I want to unistall. :/
Strangely though, when I first loaded up Deluxe and all the eps a few days ago, it ran perfectly. Then it suddenly shut down, saying there was an error with Makin Magic. When I tried to play again it asked if I wanted to uninstall MM so I said yes, and it uninstalled everything! So I loaded up everything except MM, with the last EP I put on being Superstar (I know I'd been doing them in the wrong order), then it said it needed updating etc, then I got the 'do you want to uninstall Superstar' message and it uninstalled everything again. *sigh*
Since then I have tried only installing Deluxe, but when I try to play I get the 'need to update' then 'would you like to uninstall' message. I've tried to run it as Administrator but get the same messages.
I have Vista.

ETA I've now got Deluxe running! Tried installing it in a different spot - now to see if I can get the EPs going.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 1:11 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 28th Sep 2012 at 5:11 AM.
Ok, now I can't get my game to run. Windows 7, The Sims installed just fine, but Living Large won't play. I get a message about having to insert the correct CD. What other spot do you install the game to? Sim Sample suggested "C:/games" but is that C: Program Files (x86), then Games?

Do I need to uninstall everything and reinstall to a new location or can I manually move files to the new location?

I'd be grateful for any assistance you can offer. Thanks!

*Edit* The next CD (House Party) installs and plays just fine. I think this happened before on another machine. There must be a problem with the disk for Living Large. I would still like to know the pathway that you used to get your games to work in case I encounter the same problem down the road with another expansion (I'm playing each expansion for a bit before adding the next). Thanks.

Test Subject
#19 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 5:53 AM
Yeah I used that advice and installed it to C:\Games\TheSims and so far it's running ok.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 6:57 AM
Thanks for answering. I'm still a little bit confused.

Is that just "C:\Games" and not "C:\Program Files (x86)\Games"?

To verify: If it's just C\Games\etc..., then if you go to Computer, you would see the following folders:

PerfLogs
Program Files
Program Files (x86)
SWSetup
Users
Windows
Games <--- And this is where you install The Sims?

Test Subject
#21 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 9:18 AM
I spoke too soon ... it's doing it again When I try to start play a screen comes up saying I've installed another EP after Makin Magic (err, no I haven't!) and it needs to update ... then it asks me whether I want to uninstall MM - which will uninstall everything.

VerDeTerre, last time I installed I entered C:\Games\TheSims as the location - sorry, I don't have any more details. I'm not really sure what I'm doing ...
Mad Poster
#22 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 10:30 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 28th Sep 2012 at 10:12 PM.
That rots. I looked online and read some advice about this. Are you running Sims file cop and cleaning the registry before you reinstall? Always make a back up of the registry before making any changes to it.

I believe that does make a difference as does installing the expansion packs in order, running the game in XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode (Go to "Computer" and the drive that has the Disk in it with the icon of the Sims, right click and choose "Open", scroll to icon for the start application, right click that and choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility"), and playing as an administrator (Go to "Start", "All Programs", open "Maxis", then "The Sims" and right click either the 600x800 or the 1024x768 version of your game and choice "Run as an Administrator").

*Update* (And I have no idea what this means). Typically, on the past four computers, I've installed the games in this order since it was the way I got them: The Sims, Living Large, House Party, Hot Date, Vacation, Double Deluxe, Sims Unleashed, Super Star, and Makin' Magic. On this, the fifth computer, after I installed Double Deluxe, the game would not play from the Vacation CD and tried to do an uninstall as you experienced. Further, under "Programs" and "Maxis" there was nothing! After installing Pets, files were once again under "Programs", "Maxis". They disappeared after installing Superstar, but I was able to play the game as an administrator by opening the files on the disk and right clicking the launch exe file. Files appeared again under "Programs" "Maxis" after installing Makin' Magic. All weird weird weird. The best part was when I entered one of my Sim's homes after installing Vacation and his skin was invisible until I had him change into normal. Since I did not dress him in any downloaded clothes to begin with, I found it very odd.

Test Subject
#23 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 3:07 AM
Quote:
Go to "Computer" and the drive that has the Disk in it with the icon of the Sims, right click and choose "Open", scroll to icon for the start application, right click that and choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility"), and playing as an administrator (Go to "Start", "All Programs", open "Maxis", then "The Sims" and right click either the 600x800 or the 1024x768 version of your game and choice "Run as an Administrator").

Thanks! I tried this - at Start the option to Run as Administrator was there, clicked and yes it plays now! :D
Mad Poster
#24 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 10:51 AM
Awesome! I think there's another way, too, where you don't have to keep clicking "Run as Administrator" each time you go to play. It involves setting your account up as an administrator and isn't recommended if your computer is in public places. It would allow changes to everything on your computer and that's why it's considered risky. I think my other computer is set up that way and this one isn't because I plan to travel with it.

Glad you can play your game again

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 6:51 PM
When I did this, I used the Desktop Icon , and only had to do it once ever. The game ran in compatibility mode for windows XP and as administrator forever after. And it didn't affect anything else on the computer, or any other games.

edit: I suppose my account is the administrator. It's a desktop that only I use, sometimes my family. And mine is the only account on it. If I make any "important changes" it does Prompt me with a few warnings first though.

Did you get your game to run VerDeterre? I notice all the people who have difficulty getting the game to install and run seem to have deluxe, or double deluxe.
Page 1 of 2