Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#51 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 5:45 AM
My sister had Windows Vista so I know about it a bit. However my own computer, was an Windows XP for like 10 years, until it died in 2010 (I don't know how old XP is though, I got it after Windows 2000 was no longer around, or was it 98 I am not sure). And I went to Windows 7, which I found already had problems, wouldn't play some old school games like Dungeon Keeper (Back from the 90's. Worked on 98 and XP). But regardless I am not throwing this one until it probably dies. Literally, I think the only reason I don't have Windows 98 anymore, is because well it died, is old and wouldn't support anymore games. Then got Windows XP and even thought it starting doing stupid things from 2006-2010, and every year it was something big, I didn't give it up, replacing graphics card, sending it off to places, wiping things off. Finally it died off, and so will the fate of Windows 7, depending how long this computer lasts for (The graphics card in it now is dying or eventually will, and it's a two year old computer......)

So, for me, who knows maybe when my computer finally dies down and I decide to shell out whatever I paid for the next one, it might be a better Windows 8 or even some other Windows, I dunno Windows Gold or Windows Platinum (Not actual computers, just naming stuff that could be in the future or something, or Windows 9)

Btw I did try looking for a Windows XP when the old one died, but they stopped being produced before I changed, I think I almost got Vista but I said no, might be because of people saying it was bad, I don't remember any trouble on my sister's computer though (Minding the fact my Windows XP seemed to have more trouble then her Vista. But her Vista was newer, and didn't have games such as Sims 2 and Oblivion constantly played on it)

My Sims 3 Random Legacy Challenge: The Amberstones
http://amberstonelegacy.blogspot.com.au/
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 6:16 AM
The secret is to have your preferred OS on disk, and buy your next desktop without an OS pre-installed, so you can install your own. That's how I have XP on my current desktop, which is only about a year old.

As long as computer hardware will allow XP to install, I'll have an XP machine for Sims 2. When websites stop supporting XP, forcing me to something else, I'll have two computers: My XP machine for my game, and another for everything else. The latter will probably be a Linux machine, because I'm not a fan of Microsoft OR Apple.
Theorist
#53 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 6:40 AM
Quote:
Hey guys, just dropping by to let you know that so far, The Sims 2 is working perfectly on Windows 8. The University patch refuses to install though, but the Nightlife patch contains all the Uni fixes so that makes up for it fine. --Carbonote101

Maybe it's a non-issue?
Test Subject
#54 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 7:23 AM
I was going to get windows 8, but the installer said about 1/3 of my programs (including Sims 2) were not compatible.
The good news: I'm glad the installer told me ahead time & am less mad at Microsoft than I would have been had I bought the program and found out later.
The bad news: Isn't the whole point of an operating system to operate programs?

So as frustrated lifelong Windows user, I have to ask...should I just get a Mac?
transmogrified
retired moderator
#55 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 7:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chris_bresie
So as frustrated lifelong Windows user, I have to ask...should I just get a Mac?

Not for this reason, no. Apple also frequently updates their operating system, and the latest Mac OS doesn't provide Rosetta support, so now a lot of older programs designed to run on Apple's old PowerPC platform are obsolete.

Plus, Apple is phasing out the optical drive. No, Apple, I am not ready to purchase all my media as a digital download. Stop making me hate you! Aren't I already angry enough about the iPod's battery life?
Mad Poster
#56 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
The secret is to have your preferred OS on disk, and buy your next desktop without an OS pre-installed, so you can install your own. That's how I have XP on my current desktop, which is only about a year old.

I believe they now limit the amount of times an OS can be installed. I seem to recall reading computer magazines with angry letters in from people who wanted to use the same disk to install XP on several home computers, like you could with previous Windows installations. I do know my best friend's XP computer recently died of old age and refused to reinstall. All the disks and codes were correct, she spent hours on the phone with Microsoft, but it just wouldn't work again. Could be she's just unlucky though, and it's not a bad idea to have an OS disk around anyway.

Quote: Originally posted by chris_bresie

Depends on whether you want to play all the games without an emulator. Sims 2 was only released up to Bon Voyage on Mac.
Instructor
#57 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 11:50 AM
My brother had Windows 8 for a bit, I didn't like it at all! Then When he tried to install One of his favourite games, it said it wasn't compatible. He went straight back to windows 7 saying "Not looking back"
As for Windows 7, Sims 2 runs fine on my computer. I never played it on windows Vista, as my vista computer broke a day before i got the game. XP i have to say was my favourite operating system, I loved that and all my games worked perfectly! I never got things saying Incompatible, i miss my XP computer now. The first person in my family to get vista realized how bad it was.

Formally known as TotallySimsCrazy. Still addicted to custom content.
Simblr
Mad Poster
#58 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 1:37 PM
Okay, we've got Carbonite 101 saying Windows 8 does play the sims2 and everyone else saying it doesn't. What gives, and, guys, whatever will we do??

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Field Researcher
#59 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 1:48 PM
My friend has a Mac and had to buy a separate disk drive because it was not part of the computer itself. Shouldn't Apple and Windows update technology without getting rid of popular, successful technology that is a little bit older?
Test Subject
#60 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 2:01 PM
Hey guys, this is Carbonite101 from the TS2 and TS3 forums. I can confirm that for me, The Sims 2 and all its expansion packs and stuff packs work. The Uni patch doesn't though, but Nightlifes patch fixes those problems anyway. However I am using the Double Deluxe for my base game installation so I have no idea if the original editions patch works or not.
Theorist
#61 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 2:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElectricSimmer
Hey guys, this is Carbonite101 from the TS2 and TS3 forums. I can confirm that for me, The Sims 2 and all its expansion packs and stuff packs work. The Uni patch doesn't though, but Nightlifes patch fixes those problems anyway. However I am using the Double Deluxe for my base game installation so I have no idea if the original editions patch works or not.

According to Windows Compatibility Center Double Deluxe is compatible with Windows 8 whereas the original Sims 2 base game is not.

I guess this means that if people wanted to play TS2 on Windows 8 they could buy a copy of Double Deluxe...but I can imagine why people would resent having to rebuy a game they essentially already own!

(Mind you, according to Windows the TS2 original game is also not compatible with Windows 7 and I play it fine on Windows 7!)

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Instructor
#62 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mendota
One comment here even said that they would go to Linux. Right... good luck running any Sims under that.

You would be surprised, at the sheer, number of people who are playing windows-based games on linux using wine or virtualbox (with a windows VM).

All TS2 Downloads Link
All TS3 Downloads: Link
All Other downloads: Link
Skyrim SKSE 1.6.x gamepad key support: Link
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 5:17 PM
I finally have Windows 7 running the way I want it, so I don't want to upgrade, plus TS 3 runs like a champ on it so why tinker with something that isn't broken?
I play TS 2 on an older Vista machine and have never had a single hiccup with it. Nope, not going to upgrade there,either.

I don't trust Windows with a new version. They have a tendency, much like EA Games, to release things before they are thoroughly tested.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#64 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
I'm a Vista fan, say what? After about a year's worth of modding and tweaking to get rid of stuff that wasn't necessary, it ran much smoother than my computer with 7 ever has (plus WordPad/Paint/etc. didn't take up nearly as much space when running). I have no intentions of getting 8, once 7 stops being supported it's off to the Linux crowd for me.
But you shouldn't have to spend a year's worth of "modding and tweaking" to get a computer's OS to run smoothly. It shouldn't be like a game, where you mod it to fit your specific needs. It should be something that works smoothly out of the gate, so that anyone, from a young child to an elderly person, can use it intuitively. Although props to you for being a Vista fan. I've never met one before.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
But you shouldn't have to spend a year's worth of "modding and tweaking" to get a computer's OS to run smoothly. It shouldn't be like a game, where you mod it to fit your specific needs. It should be something that works smoothly out of the gate, so that anyone, from a young child to an elderly person, can use it intuitively. Although props to you for being a Vista fan. I've never met one before.

I know, I'm signing autographs, get 'em while you can!

*sets up card table*

It worked for me right out of the box, but to get it how I wanted it, I had a plan set up from the start of what I wanted it to run like, what happens when _______ happens, how it utilises tasks and manages memory, etc. It's more me being totally obsessive over controlling most aspects of what goes on, I hate relinquishing control. I'd be that one pilot who would absolutely despise auto-pilot.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Meet Me In My Next Life
#66 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 10:39 PM Last edited by Simonut : 29th Oct 2012 at 2:26 AM. Reason: typo
There is a close friend of my's who son is a real "Geek" and work for Microsoft Beta testing program. He's told us that Window 8 is not that great and needed a lot of work and that the Security is not as good as Window 7 he did not like it at all.

I had my Computer desk top custom made cost me an arm and a leg ( but worth it ) for I wanted it for hi- tech 3D games, but I only play my Sims 2 ( lol ) and even the company that build my computer told me to stick with window 7 at first I had to get use to window 7 and the way it operated. I was so use to my Window XP ( that I still miss just bit ) but even if I go in the future for an upgrade it will not be Window 8 I still have my Window 7 package box; from the company that build my computer they told me to hold on to it.

I was tripping when I first got Window 7 and if I could not play my Sims, I was going throw my PC out the window.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Instructor
#67 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 11:28 PM
Well, I just took the plunge. Like I said, I actually enjoyed the pre-release. When I went from Vista to 7, I did a fresh install. This time I did the upgrade where you keep all your programs intact. So, while I don't know if the installation bug is no longer there, I do know I still have my game. (whew! )
Mad Poster
#68 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
There is a close friend of my's who son who is a real "Geek" and work for Microsoft Beta testing program. He's told us that Window 8 is not that great and needed a lot of work and that the Security is not as good as Window 7 he did not like it at all.

As the pattern goes, good one, bad one, good one, bad one, etc, and so on. Plus, Windows 7 wasn't even released that long ago (well, by my standards). The beta was open to developers (and the curious, haha), I tried it and hated it from the get-go. But then again, it was really early on when Skype wouldn't even work on the beta.

This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Mad Poster
#69 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
I know, I'm signing autographs, get 'em while you can!

*sets up card table*

It worked for me right out of the box, but to get it how I wanted it, I had a plan set up from the start of what I wanted it to run like, what happens when _______ happens, how it utilises tasks and manages memory, etc. It's more me being totally obsessive over controlling most aspects of what goes on, I hate relinquishing control. I'd be that one pilot who would absolutely despise auto-pilot.

But will Sims 2 be playable on WINE once you switch to Linux?
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#70 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 12:58 AM
I play sims on Wine all the time.....wait, are we talking about the same thing?
Mad Poster
#71 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 2:10 AM
Sims 2 - not regular sims... or is Sims 2 now playable on WINE without all the glitchyness that I had seen in a youtube video?
Mad Poster
#72 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 2:45 AM
I last looked into Sims 2 on Linux just a couple months ago, and found no claims by anyone saying it was working well for them at all.

My question is that even if, theoretically, someone were to figure out how to run Sims 2 on Linux, would all our hacks and CC work too? If not, I'd have to continue with my current setup.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 3:21 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I tried out the Sims 2 on Windows 8 earlier today and it seemed to run fine. My version of Sims 2 is an Origin download, though, so I don't know if that makes any difference or not. It's also the Sims Double Deluxe version.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 6:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
I last looked into Sims 2 on Linux just a couple months ago, and found no claims by anyone saying it was working well for them at all.

My question is that even if, theoretically, someone were to figure out how to run Sims 2 on Linux, would all our hacks and CC work too? If not, I'd have to continue with my current setup.

There's somebody in this thread who said that they've done it, and a coworker of mine, our Linux guy, runs it (and a lot of other games) just fine . . . again, it takes a little jiggering and if all else fails, there's always other programs like WINE.

But back to the Windows 8 debate, yes?

What I'm wondering is why nobody spotted the incompatibilities of SOOOOO many programs before the public beta. They usually, you know, check?

Test Subject
#75 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 8:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmesqualor
Well, I just took the plunge. Like I said, I actually enjoyed the pre-release. When I went from Vista to 7, I did a fresh install. This time I did the upgrade where you keep all your programs intact. So, while I don't know if the installation bug is no longer there, I do know I still have my game. (whew! )

I had to do the Keep Nothing install because I didn't have the other options for some reason O_o i'm guessing bad Win7 install so it didn't get detected properly.
Page 3 of 22