Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 23rd Mar 2013 at 1:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Well, maybe the autothingy didn't work - it doesn't always - did you go and look for the exe in Windoze Explorer?

exe? :o

�Hanna. Come over to the J-rock side, we have men looking like women.
Proud Cafekko, ELF, ShaWol and S♥NE x3
Advertisement
Inventor
#27 Old 23rd Mar 2013 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElectricSimmer
Just tried SimCity 4, its slow and lags a bit too, but not as much as The Sims 1. Odd, are they on a similar game engine?

SC4 works fine for me. A few lag spikes, but that may be because my hard drive is almost full >_<
also, from the looks of it they do appear to have a similar engine.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#28 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 1:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eowyn24
exe? :o

? Well, if you open up Windoze Explorer and go to the game disk, you should see on there an exe file (for executable). Pick the one with the likeliest-sounding name - you'll probably find one called autorun.exe.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 24th Mar 2013 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
? Well, if you open up Windoze Explorer and go to the game disk, you should see on there an exe file (for executable). Pick the one with the likeliest-sounding name - you'll probably find one called autorun.exe.

AH! Sorry! I thought you wrote "internet explorer" T_T (I'm not the smartest person alive)
Well I did go that way to the auto.run exe but the pop up window still doesn't come up. I click it like 100x but nothing. When I give up and take out the cd it says "Can't respond. pleae insert the cd" (something like that..).

�Hanna. Come over to the J-rock side, we have men looking like women.
Proud Cafekko, ELF, ShaWol and S♥NE x3
Mad Poster
#30 Old 29th Apr 2013 at 11:00 PM
I run The Sims 1 on Windows 7, but usually you have to run it as administrator by right clicking on the icon and click "Run as Administrator"

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Test Subject
#31 Old 10th May 2013 at 1:39 AM
Default Similar problem
Basically, I'm running Windows 8. It installed correctly, runs like a dream. However, I'm getting a few graphical glitches, such as the save and quit box not showing up until I click on the (invisible) box.

The bigger problem, though, is I decided to run it in windows mode. What comes up is a big black, unmovable box.

The weird part? If I grab the frames of the window and move it the box stays in place...but I find a perfectly running window of the game underneath. Does anyone know how I can make the box disappear?

Another issue discovered after playing around with it is not being able to save. Does anyone have a solution?
Forum Resident
#32 Old 10th May 2013 at 1:51 AM
Also another thing about it:

Every gaming news outlet has panned 8 for gaming for legit reasons.
MANY games have severe problems on it. While TS1 runs fine for me on 8, TS2 and the stories games refuse to run at all.
TS3 runs but sometimes force closes randomly.

Other games i had issues with was Left 4 dead 2, fallout 3, grand theft auto IV and Simcity Societies. All of those had either not worked or were too severely broken on this OS to play.

Windows 8 is a terrible for gaming and i highly recommend purchasing a Windows 7 disc and downgrading to 7. 7 works way better than that 8 trash.

A study done by CNET showed the reason many games had issues was while being like Windows Vista and 7, the 8 kernel is very different in some code, which was done to allow 8 to run on ARM processors on tablets. The ARM support caused this issue.
Test Subject
#33 Old 11th May 2013 at 12:08 AM Last edited by Java3 : 11th May 2013 at 9:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
Also another thing about it:

Every gaming news outlet has panned 8 for gaming for legit reasons.
MANY games have severe problems on it. While TS1 runs fine for me on 8, TS2 and the stories games refuse to run at all.
TS3 runs but sometimes force closes randomly.

Other games i had issues with was Left 4 dead 2, fallout 3, grand theft auto IV and Simcity Societies. All of those had either not worked or were too severely broken on this OS to play.

Windows 8 is a terrible for gaming and i highly recommend purchasing a Windows 7 disc and downgrading to 7. 7 works way better than that 8 trash.

A study done by CNET showed the reason many games had issues was while being like Windows Vista and 7, the 8 kernel is very different in some code, which was done to allow 8 to run on ARM processors on tablets. The ARM support caused this issue.

Intriguing. I have no issues playing TS2, apart from lag. But that's only due to the amount of mods and crud I have for it. TS3 plays pretty well, too.
I guess different computers react differently. I have yet to install The Sims 1, however. I suspect it will have issues, though. I may be wrong, however. The game may react differently with more than 2 GB of RAM. I doubt it, considering that's strange (I mean, back then, the typical computer didn't even have 1 GB of RAM, I believe. But computers can be odd to understand, sometimes.

I tried to run TS1 in compatibility mode for Windows 98, and it refused to work. If I kept it out of compatibility mode.. It would "work". It would also tend to freeze, though.

EDIT: I tried installing the game on my computer with Windows 8, but the installer would not even open. Likely due to me having a 64 bit system. Although, my 64 bit Windows 7 computer got it installed just fine.
EDIT 2: It's now working. However, I can not install Unleashed, so I'll deal with the base game for now.
Test Subject
#34 Old 2nd Jun 2013 at 1:20 AM
Well I am playing The Sims 1 on my Windows 8 Laptop and I experience the following issues:

•Loading times when you click on a home are painfully long (about 3-5 minutes)
•Any family I create in the "Create-A-Family" menu is not saved and when I move one I created into an empty home/lot, they are gone.
•Any progress I make in a home/lot does not save at all. So I could take an empty lot, build a home, save, and return to neighborhood, and its not there.
•In the tutorial home, after Bob Newbie takes a shower, a message pops up saying "The tutorial has encountered an error and cannot continue. Please reset it in (the place where you reset it, idk)"
Test Subject
#35 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Eowyn24
AH! Sorry! I thought you wrote "internet explorer" T_T (I'm not the smartest person alive)
Well I did go that way to the auto.run exe but the pop up window still doesn't come up. I click it like 100x but nothing. When I give up and take out the cd it says "Can't respond. pleae insert the cd" (something like that..).

Well, my instruction booklet says Left click the start button in windows task bar select run type D:\start.exe (If it isn't D then try C or E all roms are different after all.) That is what fixed my problem.

If you are still having trouble then try the SIMS eraser tool that is on the first disk (At least it is on mine and I have the complete collection one.)

I just got my new computer hoked up yesterday so I to am wondering if TS1 will work on it.
Test Subject
#36 Old 28th Jul 2013 at 9:59 PM
Default Same issues for me
Quote: Originally posted by Zellogi™
Well I am playing The Sims 1 on my Windows 8 Laptop and I experience the following issues:

•Loading times when you click on a home are painfully long (about 3-5 minutes)
•Any family I create in the "Create-A-Family" menu is not saved and when I move one I created into an empty home/lot, they are gone.
•Any progress I make in a home/lot does not save at all. So I could take an empty lot, build a home, save, and return to neighborhood, and its not there.
•In the tutorial home, after Bob Newbie takes a shower, a message pops up saying "The tutorial has encountered an error and cannot continue. Please reset it in (the place where you reset it, idk)"

I can load an play the original sims but as soon as I add the first expansion pack I experience these same problems- no saving familys or any activity. Havent tried the shower thing yet but very frustrating. Anyone have an emulator recommendation?
Field Researcher
#37 Old 28th Jul 2013 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xxsoulfire123
SC4 works fine for me. A few lag spikes, but that may be because my hard drive is almost full >_<
also, from the looks of it they do appear to have a similar engine.

They're using very different game engines.

Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
which was done to allow 8 to run on ARM processors on tablets. The ARM support caused this issue.

Actually, the ARM compatible version of Windows 8 is Windows RT, I'd doubt the "real" Windows 8 contains little if any ARM code.
Forum Resident
#38 Old 28th Jul 2013 at 11:26 PM
I find it amazing that people are getting the sims 1 to run on Windows 8. Gives me hope for when XP loses Microsoft support and I have to upgrade.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Test Subject
#39 Old 1st Aug 2013 at 5:29 PM
Sims 1 and Windows 8 in my opinion do not mix well
Test Subject
#40 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 7:06 PM
Default Sims 1 and Windows 8
I have had the same issues you describe. I found out that if I swipe the touch pad within about 1 cm. (1/2 in.) of either side, the game will minimize and come back corrupted. I'm trying not to do that and trying to figure out how to "mark" the edge so I know when I'm getting too close, by touch. Still working on that, but maybe this help.

Quote: Originally posted by ElectricSimmer
I'm not sure where to post this, because i can't find a TS1 help section, but i'm just wondering if anyone else has tried The Sims 1 on Windows 8 and experienced this issue.

First, the game installs fine. The base game installer hangs at 100% for a while but works eventually but it all works apart from that. However, the game is so. darn. slow. Like the little loading bars that appear the first time each EP is run (Like the Unleashed Old Town one or Superstar Studio Town one) take so long and the frame rate is rather low. On Windows 7 on the exact same computer those loading times are almost instant and the frame rate is a solid 60fps. And occasionally the game won't load properly, like the resolution will change but then the game will minimize itself and other times if you alt-tab or minimize it the graphics will appear all corrupted on resuming. I've tried various compatibility modes and it still won't work very well. I'm not sure if anyone knows a fix, but i'm just wondering if anyone else experienced this.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 11:53 PM
My brother has windows 8, works fine.

Hi.
Test Subject
#42 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 9:54 AM
better use windows 7
Test Subject
#43 Old 2nd Dec 2013 at 3:43 PM
I dont know, but it sure didnt work on windows 7 :'(
Test Subject
#44 Old 4th Dec 2013 at 5:16 AM
Windows 8 is simply not that good for gaming... Microsoft had already said that Windows OS is gonna slowly become a 'one for all' type of deal where it can work for tablets, laptops, etc... They aren't really doing much in the normal Gaming Computer area anymore with Windows... Which I think this little issue with Windows 8 is enough proof. (I've also read many other issues as well actually).
Test Subject
#45 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 2:21 AM
Windows 8 is a mixed bag with gaming it seems. The sims 3 usually runs fine for me, but occasionally it will force shut down. The sims 2 has been running great for me while I have heard other people having serious issues with getting the sims 2 to run. As far as the sims 1 is concerned, I don't have my base game and expansions anymore and have been debating buying the complete collection if I can find it at a decent price. Some places are charging outrageous prices for it. I'll try to find a copy of the complete collection and see how it runs for me then report back with my results. Again though, Win8 works for some people and not others as far as gaming, it really depends on your setup I think.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#46 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 9:50 AM
I can't believe I completely forgot to mention this and it's more than likely very late now, but for whatever reason The Sims 1 doesn't work on Windows 7 under some configurations unless you add '-nosound' to the shortcut target so I can't guarantee it'll work flaw free on Windows 7 like it does for me. But then again people are reporting no problems playing under Windows 8 so I guess with OSes after XP there's no absolute certainty that the game will work. I mean when I had Vista it would always crash when I tried saving so... yeah lol
Test Subject
#47 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 2:58 AM
I am having a problems with sims 1 and windows 8: I install Sims Deluxe, Then Hot Date, Then unleashed, Then Making Magic. Runs fine, then when I turn off the game and try to start again, it says i do not have the right CD, then when I use autorun it asks me if I want to uninstall Making Magic. I hit no and it end, i hit yes and it uninstalls then I have to reinstall everything again. It does this everytime I try to reload the game.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 11:14 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 7th Mar 2014 at 11:26 AM.
I wonder...this is familiar, but unfortunately I can't quite remember the fix. I wonder if it has to do with the pathway when you start the game. It may not, but on the outside chance, try going to Computer, then click on the icon for the game in the disk drive directly.

Also, there was this post: https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=512655

Sorry to just throw ideas at you. I sincerely forgotten the fix for this and dx2731 says their fix works. I'll keep looking and keep you in mind. Let us know if either of these works or, if you find something else, what does work. Thanks.

Oh, boy! Just saw this thread. Better grab a cup of coffee, it's a long read: https://www.modthesims.info/show...25#startcomment

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 20th Mar 2014 at 6:56 PM
I have all of the expansion packs and The Sims, and it works well, but I reccomend playing it in compability mode + administrator.
Test Subject
#50 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 4:28 PM
So I have a Windows 8 64 bit laptop. I've got the Sims 1 to run after tweaking around a bit. Go into the Sims 1 disc files and choose installenglish.exe don't auto run, after it installs put it in compatibility mode for Windows xp, then run as administer. The only thing is it only works in full screen mode and if you minimize it the graphics go all glitchy and you can't play. Happy simming.
Page 2 of 3