Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#26 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 10:07 PM
For hair textures... First Filter/Render/Clouds, then Add Noise at a fairly high rate, then Motion Blur at a fairly high rate too. Repeat add noise/motion blur and adjust levels as needed. It sounds way too simple to work, but it really does.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 10:31 PM
Oh, wait - you're right, motion blur, not wind. However, I didn't much like the clouds. I couldn't get the shadows and highlights it created into the spots I wanted, so I put the flat texture on the texture file then put in separate layers of shadows and highlights so I could move them where I liked them best.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#28 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 10:56 PM
Fair enough. The clouds just give you a quick bunch of highlight and shadow that create a remarkably realistic hair texture very quickly, though the shadows/highlights probably won't be in the right place for texturing a hair mesh without a lot of editing. I was just playing around with it last night, seeing what I could come up with by slapping together some quick filters. I think if you rendered clouds with a very close foreground/background colour chosen, you'd just get a bit of wavy variation from it, rather than deep dips and waves like you do if you choose a widely different colour for foreground/background when doing the clouds. I found I didn't really go "Oooooh" if I used a solid colour or the clouds -too- close, but something fairly close on a big canvas that would give me enough variation over the whole thing that I could get some decent slices of texture to duplicate and play around with worked well...

Did this in like 2 minutes just fiddling with stuff, some contrast to the clouds, noise at about 8-9, motion blur adjusted each time so it streaked but still left texture, adjusted brightness/contrast and tweaked the levels slightly. A little more effort and it'd be usable as a hair texture on the right mesh.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#29 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 3:14 PM
How do I cut the hair on photoshop? It's my first time ever making anything. I've gone to the tutorials which really didn't help, I went to thesims2.ea.com site and looked at their tutorials, but nothing has helped. Please someone help me. All I want to know is how to cut the hair. Or if someone has their (own) tutorial to help me start out from the beginning of making hair. Please don't ignore this. Someone help. Thanks. :-)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 8:30 PM
This isn't actually a photoshop question. You need to look at some of the tutorials here, Skinning From The Inside Out shows you how sim clothes (and by extension, other Body Shop items) are created - it'll explain why you can't "cut" sims' hair. There is a hair recolor tutorial, which will show you some of the things you>can< to with hair. Some of the styles have editable alphas, which would allow some "cutting" by blocking out the alpha channel, but not all. If you want to make new styles, you need to learn to mesh, and before you learn to mesh, you need to understand recoloring, so go hit the tutorials.

Test Subject
#31 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 3:36 AM Last edited by beth666 : 27th Jul 2006 at 3:37 AM. Reason: spelling
hi i use corel paint shop pro to recolor clothes but in the game the clothes are blurred. does anyone have any suggestion why or how i can fix this?
Scholar
#32 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 5:26 PM Last edited by Navetsea : 27th Jul 2006 at 5:36 PM.

The rest of my skins can be found in my blog
http://navetsea.blogspot.com
Test Subject
#33 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 8:40 PM
Hi, I have photoshop and I am pretty good at it , although when I try to recolour skin and or clothes they come up blurry. How can I make it clear and non crapy?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 2:38 AM
*sigh*. Read the skinning FAQs.

Test Subject
#35 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 11:36 PM
Thank you for the tips. I'm pretty new to Photoshop and I'm really only using it right now for the Sims. Could someone direct me to a list of tools/techniques that are commonly used when making clothes? I'm finding I'm spending so much time trying to find out which tools are quicker to use than others, I get frustrated and give up.
If I had a "cheat sheet" to refer to, I could then find that tool or sequence of tool use. I'm planning on taking a class in PS, but for now I'd like to make some clothes! LOL
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 3:12 PM
Start with reading the tutorials! And there may be some "cheats", but the best thing to do is learn to use the basics, then play around and find the ones you like best.

Test Subject
#37 Old 5th Sep 2006 at 8:01 AM Last edited by PayetteRose : 5th Sep 2006 at 8:06 AM.
Photoshop vs. Gimp Cloud Render
I have been doing skinning for my own private use since Sims 1. I have used both Photoshop Light (came with my pen pad) and more recently I have been using Gimp 2.2.10.

So here is my problem I can not find an answer to:
When I make a skirt that would have some fullness and gathers to it, in Gimp I would use: Filters> Render> Cloud> Solid Noise and adjust the X or Y axis to get something that lookes like this:

The top row from left to right is <Random> <X Axis> <Y Axis>
The bottom row are the same with a red overlay.
Then I would use skew (when I could get it to work) in Gimp to create a textured background for long full skirts like on the Maxis female vampire mesh.

I can't seem to find any where that tells me how to acheive this same thing in Photoshop.
This is all I get when I use Filters> Render> Clouds or Differance Clouds

I do like that I can do the clould render in color better than Gimp does but I can't figure out how to get the directional waves I did in Gimp.

In Photoshop help it said to hold Alt down when clicking on Cloud to get more options, but when I do nothing happens and the drop-down menu closes.

Can someone please help??

I am using Photoshop CS2.

Thanks
PayetteRose
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 5th Sep 2006 at 1:30 PM
That's where the Motion Blur comes in. Filters>Blur>Motion Blur will bring up a box that will let you change the direction and intensity of the blur.

Test Subject
#39 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 4:51 AM
What version of Photoshop are we talking about? I know that they're all similar, but still, there are different features depending on the version and the brand...

For example, I have Corel Paint Shop 10, but then there's Adobe and all their versions, PLUS all the Corel versions before 10....
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 14th Jan 2007 at 10:15 AM
:: Getting Blending of textures perfect ::

Whenever i am making clothes i like to make sure that all the textures blend seamlessly into eachother in the right places. And to do this i use the smudge tool, there is probably a better way to make this happen but i am happy using what i am comfortable with.
The smudge tool can:
:: Add shadowing and texture to clothing to make it appear more realistic or defined.
:: Add lighting effects (eg: latex clothing. see how to make boots below)
:: Make different colours in clothing blend together better.
:: Give a nice, clean finish to clothing at the sides to make it appear flawless.

(See Images below for some examples and how it is done)

Luv Amy! :lovestruc
Screenshots
Test Subject
#41 Old 17th Jan 2007 at 9:32 AM
star_guesser, the pictures are really helpful, thanks!
Test Subject
#42 Old 24th Feb 2007 at 10:13 AM
Hmm. Maybe I'll stick with downloading...
I'd like someone to d a tutorial on folds, folds are what make the outfit so realitic, instead of just a mesh that looks like it's been over-starched. XD
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 11th Mar 2007 at 11:03 PM
Making FOlds
Quote: Originally posted by Nicole_artist
Hmm. Maybe I'll stick with downloading...
I'd like someone to d a tutorial on folds, folds are what make the outfit so realitic, instead of just a mesh that looks like it's been over-starched. XD

They look complicated but all the folds and wrinkles are are shadows and highlights. That’s it—so it’s actually pretty easy, just a bit time consuming. It's always good if you use a reference, but you basically block in highlights and shadows then blend roughly (not super smooth).

here's an example...

then, if its too dull, up the contrast!
Test Subject
#44 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 10:40 AM
*weeps* I have tried. But my shadows don't look like shadows. The look like highlights. Am I using the right tool? I used the dodge tool, with highlights and shadows. Eh. It's not shadows at all. It just makes the material lighter.
And where's the smudge tool? Um, the proper photoshop is not on my computer, it's on this other one, the PC that has the Sims on it. All I have is a crappy one which actually requires the old version of my Mac to start up.
Your example looks so good! I actually mistook the picture for a photo, then I saw that the arm was too perfect.
Can someone PLEASE do an in depth tutorial?? With pictures?? I can't do it without some kind of form or structure. And trust me, I REALLY want to do some clothing. I've even downloaded a heap of meshes. Can you do one patronus-light? Even if it's based on that picture, or something. *begs* Pretty please? With a cherry and ice cream and gelato and chocolate sprinkles and hazelnuts and icing sugar and cream and a sim doing a hula dance on top? ^_^
Instructor
#45 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 10:56 AM
Can’t help you with a tut (not knowledge enough for that…still franticly searching for tuts myself…) but I can give you some hints that might help with shadows and highlights.

Burn and dodge tools are very difficult to work properly with. Some people manage to do it… I can’t.
It’s actually easier – and if you’re dealing with a pattern texture, just about the only way – if you make the shadow in one layer and the highlight in another. That way you can smooth, alter, change the opacity…or even erase, without messing with the cloth.
Use a soft brush with a low opacity and make slow motions, following the flow of the creases
For shadows use multiply and for highlights use screen as layer characteristics (not written in stone. It depends a lot on the texture you’re working on)
Never use black and white. Use a darker and a lighter hue of the main colour – take out about half the saturation too

Search the web for “digital painting” tutorials. You can learn a lot with them, although they are not Sim-related.

And most of all…be prepared to throw away a lot of working hours before you manage something you can be happy with.

When all Courage is necessary, all Hope is justified!

To know something about me read: this interview
Test Subject
#46 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 12:27 PM
I will. When I get my homework done. ^_^

I've got about 3 or 4 things due this week. Eeek! But frankly you don't really care so I'm just talking to myself...

But I like pictures. With step by step instructions. Hint hint... XD
Test Subject
#47 Old 15th Mar 2007 at 9:27 AM
Default Adding patterns to clothing.
I have looked everywhere to see if someone can explain how to do this, I use Photoshop and i would like to design an item of clothing with a pin stripe pattern. I have no idea if this can be done in photoshop but i am hoping it can. I am desperately hoping someone here can help.
Instructor
#48 Old 15th Mar 2007 at 11:27 AM
You will have to use the method explained by Faylen here

Use big rectangules of pinstripe fabric and cover the parts you want. Cut them to mesure.
Another method is using the paintbucket tool, but to do it you have to first select the a swatch of fabric - in the right size...you don't want the pinstripe to look like a tent fabric - and go Edit\Define pattern to make it a part of your pattern library.
Then chose the bucket and on the pulldown menu chose pattern instead of the default Foreground.

Hope it helps

When all Courage is necessary, all Hope is justified!

To know something about me read: this interview
Test Subject
#49 Old 17th Mar 2007 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by carol_saalvi
well..
i want to know how to change the hair cut on photoshop
i know how to change the hair color
but not the hair cut
example:
the hair is smooth, and i want to make a fringe
i don't know how to do this =/

can someone help me , and tell me how to do this on photoshop??

tnks

I actually find MS paint better for changing the shape of stuff. It's simpler. You just put black where you don't want there to be anything if that makes sense... White is where something is, black where there isn't. Photoshop is good for recolouring and stuff.
Test Subject
#50 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 1:48 AM
? I don't know how to make do it on gimp. i mean like make a short dress into a school uniform.
plus i don't know how to change colors of only PARTS of clothes. can someone help me? please!
Page 2 of 4