Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#51 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 9:26 AM
Its just that windows 8 has changed kernals because they had to cut corners to make it work on ARM (tablet/phone), devices.

The Sims 2 has major problems due to some things missing that were available in earlier windows kernals.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 9:57 AM
So are you saying a windows 8 update has made my sims 2 no longer viable?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#53 Old 29th Jun 2013 at 4:13 PM
First off: I am sorry for not being here for so long I was really busy with my real life and work but if anyone needs help I can be found on Twitter (@KayWeasley) I check twitter more often than MTS. Lets just say: not all Problems have the same reason. I can barely give you any support and my method may not be the method for everyone to make The sims 2 work, but It is at least a method to help some people. I really try my best but I am no expert of course. I am just someone who was struggling with the Sims 2 + Windows 8 as much as you guys are
Test Subject
#54 Old 11th Aug 2013 at 1:54 PM
Hey all. I bought a Win8 laptop and am trying to install sims 2...everything seems to work fine except CAS, which I have only successfully used once. I believe I do have an Intel HD graphics card, but seeing as CAS is my only problem, is it likely to be the issue?
Test Subject
#55 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 1:12 PM
I tried to run my Sims game with compatibility mode XP Sp2 but I don't have that option... only SP3 and vista sp2 and windows 7......help what should I do?? I'm really at the end of my wits...
Instructor
#56 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jkamartinek
The issue I am having seems to be slightly different but just as frustrating. I loaded the entire sims 2 series probably not in the right order but I was guessing and it was before this thread was posted. My new computer has both an integrated graphics card and a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX graphics card initial testing and playing has taught me to make sure to use manually select the NVIDIA graphics processor to launch sims and this worked for about a month of gameplay. I started putting my custom content in and really enjoying my game. Then yesterday my utopia was soured. The game no longer launches at all. If it was not in sync with something it would never have worked right? So I either have gremlins living in my computer mucking things up or my computer is just plain mean.

This may be too simplistic, but have you deleted your cache files? Documents -> EA Games -> The Sims 2, there should be a Groups.cache and Accessory.cache that needs to be deleted every once in a while.
Test Subject
#57 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 10:55 PM
When I bought my new computer, I was so psyched to install both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 on it and play. The Sims 3 works perfectly and has since day one, but I could not install The Sims 2. I was really upset and thought that maybe I wouldn't be able to play TS2 anymore (a thought almost too horrible to imagine!). Then I saw this thread. I followed the instructions. And it works!

I hope I don't jinx it now or something so that it suddenly won't work when I want to play again tomorrow (I mean, you never know, right? Haha), but I could not go to bed tonight without thanking you. So. Much! Thank you loads for finding a solution and for sharing it.

Sometimes after I've played with a family, go to the neighbourhood view and then select another household, the game crashes. This is the only issue I've encountered and since it doesn't take long at all to start the game again and I always save before going to neighbourhood view, this really isn't a big problem. Basically, your solution works for me!

Again, thanks a million! :D
Test Subject
#58 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 11:59 AM
Default Thank You So Much!
Quote: Originally posted by Kayinwonderland
It looks as if the Sims 2 don't work to a lot of People. It mostly crashes during creating the Family or in gameplay.
It was the same for me but with the help of marshabruenig and Mootilda it finally worked for me and I want to share the solution for me

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  1. All of your Sims CDs/DVDs
  2. All Sims Patches (Can be found here )
  3. Grumpy Loader (Can be found here )
  4. A lot of nerves and chocolate ^^
  5. The right Hardware! (Mostly Intel HD Graphic Cards do not work with the Sims nd they are in most of the new Laptops! I asked my Computer shop if the computer I am about to buy is compatible with the Sims 2)

WHAT TO DO
  1. Save all of your Downloads, Neighbourhoods and all the other stuff you want to keep
  2. Uninstall all your Sims 2 EP's and the base game
  3. Restart your PC (I am not sure if it is needed but I did it)
  4. place your games in the right order next to your PC (it is easier this way)
    Here is the order that The Sims 2 HAVE TO BE installed in:

5. [While sorting your games download the Patches you need for your game
  6. put the disk in your Computer but do not run autoplay immediately! Click with the left mouse button on your drive -> select "open" -> look for Autoplay -> click with your left mouse button on it -> select "Settings" -> click on "Compatibility" -> Select "Run in compatibility mode -> chose XP Service Pack 2 (this is ESSENTIAL! Do not choose XP SP 3 like recommended)
  7. Click on Autoplay to install it
  8. Directly after Installing a game open the Grumpy Loader (before opening set the compatibility on XP SP2, like I described above) and install the Patch, that belongs to the Game/EP you just installed, by clicking on 'load' and choose it (It may says that there is a Error and asks if you want to ignore it. Click on YES)
  9. Repeat the steps 5 & 6 for every EP. (I installed 3 EPs, tested the game for 30 min to check if it works and installed another 3)
  10. Before playing the game set the compatibilty of the EP (icon on your desktop) (Like I described in Step 5) and put you Downloads and neighbourhoods back in the Sims 2 folder
  11. If it still not work try this

Thanks a lot to marshabruenig and Mootilda, who supported me with their knowledge. And thanks to my brave Sim Milly Test (Who died because she became a Vampire and spent to much time outside. May she rest in peace)

If there are any questions: feel free to ask them

IF YOU COPY THIS TEXT: PLEASE CREDIT!

So so far and i installed University and Base game, work perfectly now, no crashing and the speed is amazing. I was starting to think that windows 8, just made me pay all that money for one of the highest quickest and greatest speed/RAM/Graphics all for nothing, as i did buy this laptop mostly for sims. .. THANK YOU

I hope it will now continue to work as i download all the other expansion packs,

I wonder why there is no problem at all with sims 3 + expansions? Did EA make sure it was compatible or something??
Top Secret Researcher
#59 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 5:34 PM
@ Issie, if you haven't bought it yet, I would recommend Windows7 simply because it's working really well for me, for Sims2 and Sims3 and work. I had the option to choose recently and since that one was for work, I chose Windows 7. I really don't need or want to touch my screen when I work, so there was no good reason. And you can restore your system without data loss in Windows 7 if that is of any concern. Those tiles are useless for me.

Of course, I've always been a late-adopter of a new Windows version. This way, I was able to avoid desasters like Vista or ME. And right now, Windows8 looks like another desaster to me. My opinion, of course.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#60 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 4:56 PM
Oh my god how much love on here ♥

Quote: Originally posted by AngieFan89
When I bought my new computer, I was so psyched to install both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 on it and play. The Sims 3 works perfectly and has since day one, but I could not install The Sims 2. I was really upset and thought that maybe I wouldn't be able to play TS2 anymore (a thought almost too horrible to imagine!). Then I saw this thread. I followed the instructions. And it works!

I hope I don't jinx it now or something so that it suddenly won't work when I want to play again tomorrow (I mean, you never know, right? Haha), but I could not go to bed tonight without thanking you. So. Much! Thank you loads for finding a solution and for sharing it.

Sometimes after I've played with a family, go to the neighbourhood view and then select another household, the game crashes. This is the only issue I've encountered and since it doesn't take long at all to start the game again and I always save before going to neighbourhood view, this really isn't a big problem. Basically, your solution works for me!

Again, thanks a million! :D

Thanks a lot for thanking me xD ♥ I do appreciate this so much honestly. I hope so far it all works for you

Quote: Originally posted by kimokocrazy
So so far and i installed University and Base game, work perfectly now, no crashing and the speed is amazing. I was starting to think that windows 8, just made me pay all that money for one of the highest quickest and greatest speed/RAM/Graphics all for nothing, as i did buy this laptop mostly for sims. .. THANK YOU

I hope it will now continue to work as i download all the other expansion packs,

I wonder why there is no problem at all with sims 3 + expansions? Did EA make sure it was compatible or something??

Thanks a lot I am happy I could help you with the Problem. I have to install it all again as well because Antivir crashed my Windows 8 ( A WARNING TO EVERYBODY: NEVER INSTALL ANTIVIR!, Windows Defender seems to be good enough to protect the computer)
#61 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 7:23 AM
Well, that solves the Windows 8 problem...

...I'm still sticking to my Windows 7 though. Seriously, Windows 8 is worse than Vista...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#62 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mordecai and Rigby
Well, that solves the Windows 8 problem...

...I'm still sticking to my Windows 7 though. Seriously, Windows 8 is worse than Vista...

Well I had Vista as well and Windows 8 crashed around 90 % less than vista and believe me the graphics are so amazing (on most Laptops) It just depends on what you like and I do like the windows 8 surface and the normal Desktop is still there
Instructor
#63 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 12:10 PM
I got a Windows 8 machine with all the touch stuff about. All I do with it is maintenance, once I don't seem to find any other use. I'm now playing the little Life Story and it doesn't work in Windows 8 at all. I started to doubt that it has ever worked in any laptop once the original is so bad that I can't blame Microsoft at all. But it works on whatever Desktop machine and I use Windows 7 with no claim. I doubt I will upgrade to Windows 8 because I simply am not attracted to either look or "touch". Besides, I bought incredible expensive screens for all my desktop computers and am intended to enjoy them until they self crash to death. All fun with Windows 8 is exactly to touch around, because is difficult to use and it is all the time wishing to tip you to do that or that or try that or that. I hate it! Besides I'm a freak and I hate all the finger prints to wipe all the time. Just to handle the machine on to me at the shop, the clerk had already finger printed it with her hand cream. Eeeech!
Test Subject
#64 Old 14th Sep 2013 at 6:16 AM
Default No settings for step 6...
Quote: Originally posted by Kayinwonderland
It looks as if the Sims 2 don't work to a lot of People. It mostly crashes during creating the Family or in gameplay.
It was the same for me but with the help of marshabruenig and Mootilda it finally worked for me and I want to share the solution for me

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
  1. All of your Sims CDs/DVDs
  2. All Sims Patches (Can be found here )
  3. Grumpy Loader (Can be found here )
  4. A lot of nerves and chocolate ^^
  5. The right Hardware! (Mostly Intel HD Graphic Cards do not work with the Sims nd they are in most of the new Laptops! I asked my Computer shop if the computer I am about to buy is compatible with the Sims 2)

WHAT TO DO
  1. Save all of your Downloads, Neighbourhoods and all the other stuff you want to keep
  2. Uninstall all your Sims 2 EP's and the base game
  3. Restart your PC (I am not sure if it is needed but I did it)
  4. place your games in the right order next to your PC (it is easier this way)
    Here is the order that The Sims 2 HAVE TO BE installed in:

5. [While sorting your games download the Patches you need for your game
  6. put the disk in your Computer but do not run autoplay immediately! Click with the left mouse button on your drive -> select "open" -> look for Autoplay -> click with your left mouse button on it -> select "Settings" -> click on "Compatibility" -> Select "Run in compatibility mode -> chose XP Service Pack 2 (this is ESSENTIAL! Do not choose XP SP 3 like recommended)
  7. Click on Autoplay to install it
  8. Directly after Installing a game open the Grumpy Loader (before opening set the compatibility on XP SP2, like I described above) and install the Patch, that belongs to the Game/EP you just installed, by clicking on 'load' and choose it (It may says that there is a Error and asks if you want to ignore it. Click on YES)
  9. Repeat the steps 5 & 6 for every EP. (I installed 3 EPs, tested the game for 30 min to check if it works and installed another 3)
  10. Before playing the game set the compatibilty of the EP (icon on your desktop) (Like I described in Step 5) and put you Downloads and neighbourhoods back in the Sims 2 folder
  11. If it still not work try this

Thanks a lot to marshabruenig and Mootilda, who supported me with their knowledge. And thanks to my brave Sim Milly Test (Who died because she became a Vampire and spent to much time outside. May she rest in peace)

If there are any questions: feel free to ask them

IF YOU COPY THIS TEXT: PLEASE CREDIT!

Hello I got all the way to step 6, but when I left click on Auto run, I don't have a settings option. What do I do? :P
Test Subject
#65 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 8:22 PM
Same here; but I accessed it by moving my cursor to the upper right corner of the screen and clicked on "Settings" from there I got to the Control Panel.

Settings>Control Panel>Ease of Access>Programs>Runs programs for previous versions of Windows and then you'll get the prompt for the Trouble Shooter. Follow the prompts, selecting the one "I don't see my problem" seems to work the best and then you'll be able to select the XP 2 service pack.

So far all of this has worked out for me (without using Grumpy Loader) but I'm now stuck on getting past loading lots with FreeTime.
Theorist
#66 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 8:46 PM
I haven't attempted Sims2 on 8 yet. Just got this pc about 2 months ago so I don't dare try until I know more about the pc. I do have Sims1, Sims Life Stories and Sims Pet Stories installed. All work just fine and the graphics are amazing! For the touchy apps stuff, I don't bother. I just use the pc like any other.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 11:51 PM
I also purchased a new confuser - a gaming confuser no less, only to find out later about problems associated with older games. Apparently Microsoft isn't keen on some games due to mature content! Who is Microsoft to think they are our mother!
Microsoft has a site - you'll have to google it, I don't have the link, it will show you what it will accept or won't..As far as Sims 2 and the packs, most of the Sims two packs are 'ok', but University is not. Just an f.y.i. And Sims 3 as I recall is ok as well.

I'm almost ready to install my thumb drive with all my old stuff, wish me luck..
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 26th Sep 2013 at 12:01 AM
Hi there, for those concerned about whether or not particular games will play on the new windows 8, you can search here. Just type in the search box the game, the pack, etc.
You do have to sign in however.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...mpatCenter/Home
Test Subject
#69 Old 12th Oct 2013 at 6:46 PM
Just FYI:
http://www.change.org/petitions/ele...-2-on-windows-8

I'm doubtful that this would do anything to change EA/Maxis' minds but I'll try anything
Test Subject
#70 Old 12th Oct 2013 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by derpydonk
Hello I got all the way to step 6, but when I left click on Auto run, I don't have a settings option. What do I do? :P

It's properties. I know it says settings, but I clicked properties and the Compatibility tab is right there at the top, then just continue following the instructions.
Test Subject
#71 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 10:05 PM Last edited by iheartmystery8 : 19th Oct 2013 at 5:56 PM.
Good news (possibly)! So I have been struggling with my digital copies (double deluxe, univ./business bundles, free time, seasons, bon voyage, apt. life) because I could only play the game randomly from 10-30 mins without it crashing, and CAS rarely worked long enough to even get to picking clothes. So I really like windows 8 tho, and yesterday I downloaded the 8.1 update. Technically the update should not change it, but I don't know, because I've played three times. The first time I got through CAS, and it crashed after maybe an hour of gameplay (not too bad for what it is). The second time it yet again did not crash in CAS, and I played for about an hour before saving and quitting of my own volition. Then I used all the details of full-on bodyshop for maybe 30 mins before I was done creating a unique sim, and everything saved and closed fine! This is nuts because I had never heard of bodyshop working in Windows 8.
OF NOTE: I only had double deluxe installed when I upgraded. I had uninstalled the EPs and taken out all my CC- I will update later on how they go but right now I don't want to screw anything up. I also had DirectX Manager (found on SimPE site) before and after, and that really made a difference. It's debatable what compatibility actually works, but I think my three parts of double deluxe (files in the TS Bin of each part) are on XPSP2 or something. I also ran as administrator. None of this was with old files; I don't have my old hard drive.
Also, if you are experiencing the lack of a compatibility tab in properties as I did, you can change compatibility manually. I would advise against this if you feel shaky about your computer/instruction-following skills.

On the subject of specific patch release, it probably won't be done. I sent an irritated yet polite email to the EA board of directors about following through, and I got a very kind, thorough, non-automated response a few days later telling me what I already knew: that patches for Sims-specific related problems are already there and that the issue with compatibility just has to do with the fact the technology is advancing and Sims is simply an older game. Whether or not we like this, we have to accept that if we want to play, we have to downgrade/find a workaround. It sucks, but it's life.

Also, Sims 2 should work fine on Windows 7 . Good luck to those of you with disc copies and original releases, but I don't actually think it's an original release problem.

Final update- all EPs and CC are working! I use the compatibility setting suggested and I no longer need to run as admin. The troubleshooter usually suggest Vista SP2 (who ever thought Vista would fix anything?) and it's now saying the problem of incompatibility is fixed.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 3:16 PM
I've tried this method and unfortunately, it crash every 10 minutes into gameplay. I've tried other solutions for about a month before giving up and downgrading my brand new computer to Windows 7 instead. Works like a charm. Like Kayinwonderland said, works for some but not all.
Site Helper
#73 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 4:21 PM
iheartmystery8, please re-read the site rules, which you'll find under the Site menu. Rather than double- and triple-posting, just use the Edit button to add additional stuff to your existing post.
Test Subject
#74 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 11:30 AM
http://puu.sh/50Ocb.png look at this guys! EA's response when I asked them about Sims 2 on windows 8 I can't wait to hear the good news.... If there is good news....
Field Researcher
#75 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 9:43 PM
And who's the person you've asked and where? I really hope they'll do something so I can at least INSTALL the game but since the official page is gone and they're working on TS4, I'm not so optimistic
Page 3 of 13