Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th May 2013 at 10:01 PM
Default Clothing in sims 4: how they should handle it.
Back when sims 3 was released, I was kind of disappointed with how clothing worked.

Saint's Row 2 was released earlier, and was pretty impressive with its options in that regard.
Sure it was nice that patterns where added and recoloring, and shoes being chosen seperatly but still.

So what should they do with sims 4? I have multible points on this.

First of all: Layers.
I'd want each item to be seperate. Sims would be wearing underwear, and you'd be able to put clothes over that and assemble outfits. They could wear a shirt, and a seperate blouse over it and a jacket over that.

This would also enable sims to easily take off a jacket or such without switching outfits.
They could possibly put on a jacket automaticly when going outside if theres seasons in it right away.

Second: clothing styles.
Not just casual, formal, etc based on occasion, but style.
Classy, trashy, worn, sixties, gothic, etc.
Sims could all have their own likes and dislikes regarding style. They could hate being put in some styles and enjoy other styles.
And of course sims would praise or dislike the clothes of other sims too.

Through this system, sims will actually respond to what a sim is wearing. It will actually matter if your sim is walking in a dirty garbagebag or a fine suit.

third: wear options.
A blouse could be tugged in, tugged half in so its a bit messy, rolled up sleeves, some buttons open.. jacket could be open,closed or half open, etc.

Fourth: headwear.
Should be seperate items, not seperate hairstyles. Many games are capable of adjusting hair to various hats, should be possible here too. Another item to easily remove or put on on the fly.
Some headwear could also be combined, such as a bandana and a cap over it. Or a baclava and a helmet. etc.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 13th May 2013 at 10:17 PM
I'm really surprised that layering wasn't an option in TS3, considering that you could do it in the TS2 console game. I'd like to see that be a thing in TS4.
The clothing "styles" idea sounds interesting, though I think it could end up being pretty subjective for some things. I can just see people arguing over clothes being put in one style category or the other.
I'll just be annoyed if TS4 doesn't have separate headwear, especially since modders for 3 have figured out how to make sliders for hat accessories to fit any hair, so there's no real reason that it couldn't be included in the vanilla game. Personally I don't use headwear, but it would be nice to have the option built into the game already.

...but I just want accessory layering built into the game, honestly.

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Inventor
#3 Old 13th May 2013 at 10:20 PM
The style idea would be great if you could tag them yourself. If you take a pastel colored top with a flower pattern and recolor it so that it's black with a skull and crossbone pattern, it changes what style it is dramatically. Each new recolor that you save could be given your own style tags.

That would make it perfect, in my opinion.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th May 2013 at 11:19 PM
I'd love to be able to set an outfit for each day of the week. In the morning, the sim would change into the outfit that I set for that day. It would provide variety to what my sims are wearing and everyone won't have to wear the same outfit over and over everyday.
Test Subject
#5 Old 14th May 2013 at 10:01 AM
I both do and don't want all of this. There's Sims I create that I would really love to go into this much detail with but if I'm quickly churning out families to populate a world or to fill-out a back-story I just want to do a quick check to make sure no one's wearing flippers or traffic cones. More elements and outfits just means more ways combinations could go horribly wrong. If we had a style system I would really appreciate that you could make sure things filtered via style, so the game's not pairing a lace blouse with overalls unless the player specifies it.

Also - I keep seeing people mention Saint's Row 2 as a model, but Saint's Row 2 only went up to 12 player-designed characters on screen at a time. I'm not sure I'd want a system that detailed for a town that can contain 200 characters, there's only so much save file bloat I'm willing to put up with.

. . . All that said, I would really appreciate a way to pre-set a townie's outfits for all age-stages or at least to use a style filter to lock them into a specific style. It's incredibly annoying when a preppy NPC Teen ages up into a hula dancer.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th May 2013 at 10:32 AM
I think as well as layers it would be neat to be able to make some clothes in cas. So you put together a suit in cas using separates, but then you can decide to add a tie, bow tie, handkerchief or flower or not depending on if you are making the suit for a wedding or buisness. Then once you are done it should be able to be saved as a full outfit so it would be easy to put on another sim without messing around making it again.
Also I thought a lot of the patterns that came with the Sims 3 was pretty hideous. Like base game sims 2 clothes they make me want to fork my eyes out. Can't they just make simple basic clothes instead of see through granny tops and wasting space with silly outfits in Sims 3 that I never use. I seem to have heaps of junk from I think it's Ambitions.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#7 Old 14th May 2013 at 11:23 AM
I like that some CAS parts in TS3 can be enabled as valid for random, as some just don't fit to be randomly worn by townies, like the ripped werewolf shirt from SN. In TS2, everything that's in CAS is able to be worn randomly by generated townies. I hope in TS4, they will enable some clothes to be worn randomly depending on Sims' traits, such as gothic style or sloppy style.
Scholar
#8 Old 14th May 2013 at 12:12 PM
That's all dreamy talk because EA never listens to what the people want and they always disappoint us with their bugs and errors, poor graphics, lame gameplay (sims 3 alone is lame, let's admit it, only with expansion packs it's worth playing, and they never do their work right!) I'm not rude/offensive, I just speak the truth......
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 14th May 2013 at 1:24 PM
I think it would work well if it was like the Create a Pet mode. You have normal clothes and tops and outfits, and you can just pick from there if you just want to quickly make a sim and don't care too much about how unique they are, but then there is an advanced option where you can change loads of details. Go into advanced with a top, change the sleeve type, the pattern, add some buttons, add a patch, change the neckline or collar, etc. Then if you like it, or want to use it again you can save it and it'll turn up in the basic mode so you can just select it in the future quickly. It would be nice to have something similar to the way you add markings to pets, only it's "pick a patch/embroidery/detail" and then you can drag it around the piece of clothing to make it as unique as possible.

It would also be great if in the basic mode you could flag what clothes/outfits were *unique* so couldn't be used by townies, and you should be able to delete items you don't like so you don't clog up CAS.

I'd really like a clothes-making skill, where if you learn it you could unlock new ways of designing outfits, or new embroideries and patches and things to add to the clothes. It would also help if clothes cost money, a poor sim could make their own clothes for much cheaper and still look really stylish.

Addenbrooke: a beautiful and magical world with a large city.
Instructor
#10 Old 14th May 2013 at 2:16 PM
I agree, it shouldn't take 3 years to make a sim. A simple option with a detailed option sounds great to me. Maybe kind of like an extended bodyshop of sorts could be implemented if you want to go into detail and only need to load if you wish to use that?

They really need to give us the option to turn off/hide certain clothings from spawning on random sims.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th May 2013 at 12:33 PM
Could always have the random option to dress your sim quickly, and full premade outfits could be available as well, but you could take it apart.
Test Subject
#12 Old 21st May 2013 at 8:52 AM
I would love to see layering but, I would also really like to see the ability to change what layer an item of clothing is on instead of having it stuck on a single layer or having to use a 3rd party program to do it. The ability to change what layer clothes are on would add more freedom and customization to the game. I would love to see the saved outfit slots return, but with the ability to make 10 (if not more) saved outfits per category instead of the measly 3 in TS3. I would also like to see the ability to change what category an item is in (everyday to formal, for example) without having to use another program. This is assuming that clothing categories are still part of the game in TS4.

ZE~☆!
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 21st May 2013 at 11:18 AM
I would like some like the one in maxis in sims 2 where there was a varity of clothes of different themes, cultures, time periods, styles and also career.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Test Subject
#14 Old 21st May 2013 at 2:51 PM
I hope they add a PROPER filter system for clothing. Some clothing is just ridiculous in sims 3 and I never use it. Would have loved an option to just plain disable some of it.

And the most important... add a SEARCH function in the game that allows you to SEARCH for specific items. I can't even count how many times I've had to open google just to search for something in the game because I have no idea where they've put it. The same applies to certain goals etc, would be nice if you could "click" on them and they would give you a description to where and how you complete them. You really shouldn't be forced to google things like that because the game lacks the proper information. This is mainly due to the amount of content from the store and expansions. Vanilla game and a couple of expansions work fine generally, but they just pile that crap up and all of the sudden you can't find anything...
Test Subject
#15 Old 22nd May 2013 at 7:21 AM
  • I would love for clothing to be available for all Ages. There are some outfits in Sims 3 that I'd like my Sim teen to wear that are only wearable by adults and vice versa.
  • I would also like my female Sims to be able to wear boys shirts, pants and shoes.
  • Layers would be wonderful, but we also need them for the accessories. It would be great if we could choose different belts, a dress without the gaudy jewellery, a suit without a tie.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd May 2013 at 9:22 AM
Agreed, either way I think everyone can agree that theres a lot to improve regarding clothing.

If clothing is divided into style categories, perhaps they could easily be disabled for NPC use as well. Like checking a box to keep them from showing up in medieval style clothes, futuristic clothes, mascot outfits, etc.
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd May 2013 at 6:00 PM
I like those ideas! What I would really like is for them to not be separated by age group.

The toddlers don't have a good choice of clothing. AT ALL.. Unless you download outfits from TS3 store and various places. But there are some people who can't do that.

So basically... more options for kids would be great! And like someone mentioned before, the teen clothes would look good in YA or Adult sizes and vice versa.

And the men need more selections, too.

Instructor
#18 Old 29th May 2013 at 6:38 AM
Nothing intentionally ugly and that no one uses. Scarfs for men, big bows in the back for women. EA, if you laughed and then you approved of an outfit, these are the clothes I'm talking about. Maybe actually talk to creators out there that can and do make nice clothes.

Matching would be nice for a change. I only know Sims 1 and Sims 2 clothing. I have shirts and pants for both sexes, that have never been used, because they don't go with anything...and they're ugly.

Please don't make all the good clothes for your store, and give us the left overs.

Boys and Men need clothes too.

Elders can still look nice in their golden years, go outside and just do some elder watching...not creepy watch though.

I've just learned about Sims 4, and I'm sure there's is much more to get into, but I can't right now. But, those are my thoughts for now, which will go ignored by EA, but one can still hope!
Instructor
#19 Old 29th May 2013 at 2:02 PM
I'd love a layering system. Like what we currently have for tattoos. On a more innovative tract; some way to alter simple clothing parts in CAS, the shape or length of things would be awesome; ie: clicking and dragging the hem of a skirt to alter length.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Theorist
#20 Old 29th May 2013 at 3:04 PM
I don't really see layering happening unless they use some kind of fancy new collision detection technology that can automatically morph the mesh shape. Problem is, you couldn't put a form-fitting jacket over a baggy shirt or a blouse with details like frilly collar because you'd have meshes clipping and poking through. I don't know how SR2 works, but I'd guess in order to avoid clipping, there must be rules like all outer layers HAVE to be larger than inner layers, and inner layers can't have any details that would poke through outer layers, or they have a system where they specify what jackets can work with what shirts. That would work fine in a game where clothing choices are limited, but in a Sims game there will be new outfits with each EP, SP, and the Store, I just can't picture how they'd pull it off.

Resident wet blanket.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 2nd Jun 2013 at 3:13 AM
I just want clothes to look like clothes, not a 2nd skin, and for god sakes EA, hire a designer if your struggling for apparel ideas.. It'd be nice if the clothing ways animated with movement. TS3 has intense *winds*, a dress blowing in the wind would be a nice small detail..but eh
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#22 Old 2nd Jun 2013 at 7:09 AM
Yeaah, I really don't want layering too, for the same reasons GnatGoSplat says. And also because that if they -did- have some sort of fancy collision detection, that it would be a GIANT PAIN IN THE ASS to make any new modded clothes meshes.
Test Subject
#23 Old 2nd Jun 2013 at 10:31 AM
Layering - yes, absolutely.

As for clothing styles... I like the idea, but I'm worried about what EA would do with the concept. If the categories were highly customisable I think it could be great. It could work really well if the player could create new personal categories and were able to edit what clothes fits into a certain category. Clothing style is highly subjective; the way I define "classy" or "punk" is probably not the way you define it and DEFINITELY not the way EA define it.
But the way I see it, this is not the EA way of doing things. If they would incorporate clothing styles I'm worried it would be somewhat like the music style. It would probably not be something you could alter except for one customisable category. And they would definitely release a couple of new styles with every expansion.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 2nd Jun 2013 at 6:57 PM
I would like if socks could be picked individually so they could be mismatched if you wanted, or if sims could have one pulled up and one rolled down so that they look like some major dork if you wanted that sim to look that way.
Test Subject
#25 Old 3rd Jun 2013 at 4:20 AM
I love the idea of layers, however I see the problems....
I wish they made more real life fabric textures and prints on the game base...it's silly, but it would be great.

But I what I would like the most was the buying system, somewhat similar to Sims 2. If you want a wardrobe full of clothes, shoes and accessories, you should have to pay for it.
Page 1 of 2