Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 1:11 PM
I don't like the anime look. I like anime, I think it can be beautiful. But when you translate that to a virtual world ... doesn't that just mean more vague features? TS3 was already a step in the wrong direction toward generalness... we don't need cartoon vagueness thrown into the mix.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 1:57 PM
I think of this image as a first impression; its obviously conceptual. But I'm worried about why they choose this of all things to show to the masses, maybe a teaser? I want full on pages of conceptual work; wheres the rough drawings of physical and emotion movement and gestures, and well rendered variations of sims that express EA's whole operation of "roots".Reading in too much? possibly but this drawing could be done within a hour or less for an artist with good skill sets, even I could do this. Conceptual art is the most important aspect of an artistic direction, ideas, mood, and the end result of their product. Look up STWOR, GW2, even Dead Is conceptual art. If EA's willing to show this and only this to the masses, its got me worried its probably going to be well..... we'll see. Time will tell, hopefully they release more imagery.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 2:20 PM
The sketch looks manga/anime style.
Theorist
#29 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 3:29 PM
The sketch and the mockups definitely do depict a more hipper, trendier, sexier, and youthful style direction for sims. According to the quote from Albert, that's exactly what they wanted.

"...what we’re trying to go for, is a little bit of a sexier, cooler, design, a little more appealing"

From a marketing perspective, that's probably a good direction to take considering their target market is mainly teens and young adults. I can see the Urbz influence, but more than that, I see a lot of the hip, trendy style from the artwork for Sims Social (not sure about the actual game itself since I never played it).

I don't really think there's too much reason to worry. As long as we're provided with a sufficient amount of sliders and enough variety of outfits, we should be able to make sims that suit our tastes. When I first got TS3 4yrs ago, I was shocked and disappointed at how ugly all the Sunset Valley sims were. I wanted my TS2 sims back! But as I got better with the sliders, I've been able to make TS3 sims that I absolutely love how they look, even more than TS2. I feel as though if there are enough sliders, I'll be able to make TS4 sims I'm happy with. Considering how much better the P. Kelly mockup sims look compared to Sunset Valley pre-mades, it might even be easier to make better looking sims in TS4. If there's not enough hair detail or clothing selection, I'm sure modders will take care of that pretty quickly.

Resident wet blanket.
Alchemist
#30 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
The sketch and the mockups definitely do depict a more hipper, trendier, sexier, and youthful style direction for sims. According to the quote from Albert, that's exactly what they wanted.

"...what we’re trying to go for, is a little bit of a sexier, cooler, design, a little more appealing"

Maybe when they say they are going back to their 'roots' they mean non-aging towns full of YAs, just like Sims 1.

I'm being facetious, but seriously, they aim almost all gameplay and make most clothes for YAs already. So why not just cut out the neglected age stages completely and only offer young, hip, edgy, cool twenty-somethings?
Alchemist
#31 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
Maybe when they say they are going back to their 'roots' they mean non-aging towns full of YAs, just like Sims 1.

I'm being facetious, but seriously, they aim almost all gameplay and make most clothes for YAs already. So why not just cut out the neglected age stages completely and only offer young, hip, edgy, cool twenty-somethings?

Don't give them any ideas...
Field Researcher
#32 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 4:43 PM
I'm not too worried about the sims themselves, because even just for concept art/mockups, I like the way they look - they remind me of TS2 sims, which is something I like. The hair needs to be fixed, though.

And I don't think we are getting that UI; even in the mockups there are at least two different UIs in those PK mockups and TS2 went through six different UIs before being released, and I think TS3 had at least two different ones as well.

I do believe the PK mockups are very, very, very early in-game screenshots though, so it also could very well be a UI similar to that.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 5:54 PM
Besides, don't think for a second that plenty of players won't CC the hell out of the Sims. The magic truly is in the makeup.
Theorist
#34 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims

Some EA exec right now is thinking that idea is pure genius! Every other age group will be its own EP that you'll have to shell out some big bucks for.

Resident wet blanket.
Forum Resident
#35 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 6:24 PM Last edited by chreai : 20th Jun 2013 at 9:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
I don't think the sketch tells us much, concept sketches seldom look like what ends up in the game.

The first impression that hit me is it looks a lot like the sims style in the Patrick Kelly mockups. I had to go back through the pics to see why I get that impression, and I noticed that sketch does bear a strong resemblance to the sim with the 2-tone hair in this Sims 4 Olympus mockup pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simsvi...60071/lightbox/

Maybe coincidence?

Yeah, it does.

Man, I really hope that's not the new interface! Looks a bit complicated....

I am intrigued, though, about the transparent plumbobs above three of those Sims.
*imitates the double rainbow guy* "What does it MEAN?!"

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Theorist
#36 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 7:20 PM
My guess is the transparent plumbobs represent sims where the "owner" of the sim has logged out and is no longer controlling them. I would guess they return to standard AI control.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 999rozes
But overall the drawing isn't Anime-styled ... in fact, its a Fusion of Anime and Western Comic Book styled...

That's exactly what I was thinking. When I first saw that drawing, the first thing that came to mind was definitely not anime. I can see where there might be some confusion but it really is more reminiscent to western comics.

Quote: Originally posted by Nina333
What worries me is that the girl in the concept art looks like the girl sitting on the right of the leaked images from Patrick Kelly. Look at the hair, the clothes and the jewellery. What if the UI is the same as the one in the leaks?

Concept art from EA:

Patrick Kelly's leaked image:

Oh my God! I didn't even notice that!....It is a little worrisome
Instructor
#38 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 7:46 PM
At this point I'm not too worried. They know that they can't stray too far away from what the sims looked like in the three previous games. I think it's going to be closer to Sims 2 in terms of appearance, but with more refined graphics. If they come up with some anime crap... well, they've only got themselves to blame when people don't buy TS4.
Page 2 of 2