Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
Can they stop calling sims "avatars"? They're sims. That's why the game is called The SIMS.

Lol, i could just imagine:

"The Avatars 4"
"The Urbtars: Avatars in the city"
"The Avatars Bustin Out"
"The Avatars Castaway Stories"

Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
Lol, i could just imagine:

"The Avatars 4"
"The Urbtars: Avatars in the city"
"The Avatars Bustin Out"
"The Avatars Castaway Stories"

And it wouldn't need CASt cause they'd all be blue. Wink, wink.
Test Subject
#28 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
And it wouldn't need CASt cause they'd all be blue. Wink, wink.

Nah. They'd all be pale, bald asian kids with blue arrow tattoos. =p
Forum Resident
#29 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 12:59 AM
Some thoughts on the UI panels:

I wonder if the button on top of the directional arrows in the UI panel at the righthand bottom corner is a First Person View toggle on/off. It looks like you would slide it from one side to the other to utilize it.

The top buttons on the righthand corner look like they're all for online features, save for the save/help/settings buttons, so I guess I won't be using any of those. None of them look like a Sims Store button though. I would have guessed they would include that functionality in the base game.

I actually like the new motive bar. I think it's an easier way to keep track and I'm guessing we can still click or hover over the icons to get more detail on that particular motive.

I think the icon next to the gift icon on the lefthand top side is either memories or photos taken. I hope they keep the photography system exactly from TS3 in the base game. That was one of the few things I thought was a huge improvement from TS2. Though we need more poses! And being able to take photos of yourself.
#30 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:17 AM
The features in this game so far sound pretty frickin' interesting--HOWEVER! The UI looks pretty bad; how am I supposed to memorize how to control all THAT?!

And besides where's the mood bars?? A SIMS GAME ISN'T A SIMS GAME WITHOUT MOOD BARS!!!! What I'm looking at looks like what the Sims Social had--y'know that Facebook game...that sucked...?

Not to mention we don't even know if some of the MAJOR parts that make up the Sims will be in TS4, like LIFE STAGES and AGING. ...Well, granted those two features were only introduced in TS2 BUT THEY'RE STILL PRETTY MAJOR!!!

(Or if the base game will come with more than one neighborhood, or if we get to create our own neighborhood in-game, or if there's going to be HEIGHTS because I've heard a LOT of people say they've wanted that to be in TS4...the list goes on...)
#31 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
No elders, no teens, no kids shown! This looks like a remake of the 'Urbz' geared toward a 13 yr. old girl. It's "The Sims" lite, and all the bad connotations that come with 'lite'. I do not want the Sims dumbed down. If they want to lose their long term fan base, they are doing some fine work in that direction. So far, not impressed one bit!

Dude The Sims Lite would either be The Sims Freeplay, The Sims Social, MySims, or The Sims Life Stories...and besides in most countries I believe The Sims is rated 13+ so...

To be honest The Sims doesn't really HAVE a specific age group in order to play it, 'cause I've actually been playing the game since I was 7 or 8 or something; though I'll admit it gave me the wrong approach on how babies were made...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
Some thoughts on the UI panels:

I wonder if the button on top of the directional arrows in the UI panel at the righthand bottom corner is a First Person View toggle on/off. It looks like you would slide it from one side to the other to utilize it.

The top buttons on the righthand corner look like they're all for online features, save for the save/help/settings buttons, so I guess I won't be using any of those. None of them look like a Sims Store button though. I would have guessed they would include that functionality in the base game.

I actually like the new motive bar. I think it's an easier way to keep track and I'm guessing we can still click or hover over the icons to get more detail on that particular motive.

I think the icon next to the gift icon on the lefthand top side is either memories or photos taken. I hope they keep the photography system exactly from TS3 in the base game. That was one of the few things I thought was a huge improvement from TS2. Though we need more poses! And being able to take photos of yourself.

I think the button on top of the directional arrows is toggle map mode and sim/household mode. same thoughts on the other two buttons.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 4:17 AM
I just noticed the "chat", "gift", and other functions in the U.I. (are they?) I hope this isn't something akin to The Sims Social, or The Sims 3's Simport, which were all complete total messes and it's just oh my goodness we were promised a single-player, offline experience. Tsk, tsk, tsk, EA...

I didn't know the Cowplant would be returning either. Interesting! The cupcake machine reminds me of the chocolate machine culinary reward from 2, for some reason - a basketball hoop in the base game'd be nice, and hopefully there's more instruments that aren't the violin - the base games have always lacked in instrumental variety from day one.

The Sims - piano, guitar (+)
The Sims 2 - piano (eh)
The Sims 3 - guitar (eh)

The Sims 4 - hopefully the selection of instruments from 2's University and 3's Late Night (?).

Joshua Radin? Who.. the heck is that? U.S. teen dramas? Is this going to be like the SimCity 2013 music where all you heard was "Population One" over and over and over and over? If there's custom music involved, unless I have a good listen of the music I'll shove in my TS1 music instead.

I'll just be happy as long there is NO online at all whatsoever, and the game actually is kind of non-buggy. From what I've seen in the interface so far, this is the exact OPPOSITE of what anyone wanted.

Luckily, they're still relatively early in development, so... there's still a chance!
Theorist
#34 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 4:25 AM
This is actually late in development if they have working builds that they can demo and with the early 2014 release date.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#35 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 7:55 AM
I've got a horrible feeling I am not gonna be able to use the CAS interface. I never could operate realspace 3D controls, I've always had to end up using the boxes to type the numbers in, or some linear control.

My most exciting thing I have read about the game so far is being able to adjust the roof overhang. I do hope we will also be able to assign a different texture to different sections of the roof. After all, who has their shed roof covered in the same slates as their house?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#36 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 8:07 AM
As nice as all the other features sound, I really don't like the idea of "unlocking" things to use in the game. If I wanted that, I'd play a Facebook game.
Field Researcher
#37 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 8:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amalia81
As nice as all the other features sound, I really don't like the idea of "unlocking" things to use in the game. If I wanted that, I'd play a Facebook game.

I think it's nice to put a little chalenge in this game, sometimes you really have nothing to do in it and it gets boring.

You can anytime use cheats to unlock rewards so there's no big deal about it
Field Researcher
#38 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 8:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sprue
I think it's nice to put a little chalenge in this game, sometimes you really have nothing to do in it and it gets boring.

The problem is, they make almost everything else too easy, so the ONLY challenge is to do the quests, and after you do those once they quickly get boring the next time you have to do them with another sim. Personally, I don't want all of my sims to be able to get to the top of their careers easily, or in one generation get filthy rich and live in a mansion. For me, it's much more fun to have the challenge be to work hard over the generations to built up your family legacy, and eventually accomplish those kinds of goals, instead of just having a checklist of minor things to do in order unlock a certain object for each household I want to have that object.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miss Puff
The problem is, they make almost everything else too easy, so the ONLY challenge is to do the quests, and after you do those once they quickly get boring the next time you have to do them with another sim. Personally, I don't want all of my sims to be able to get to the top of their careers easily, or in one generation get filthy rich and live in a mansion. For me, it's much more fun to have the challenge be to work hard over the generations to built up your family legacy, and eventually accomplish those kinds of goals, instead of just having a checklist of minor things to do in order unlock a certain object for each household I want to have that object.

I agree, the game it's too easy . At least in Sims 2 you could't combine households and add funds to your family so easy . Freedom and sandbox in this game are nice, but there must be some kind of limits in order to make it more challenging.
Alchemist
#40 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 3:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sprue

The challenge was supposed to be keeping your sim alive by tending to their needs, making enough simoleons to afford a house and furniture and maintaining relationships with other sims.

In the Sims 3, it became so easy to tend to sims needs, make money and marry a complete stranger. The "challenging" things about life that I feel were depicted correctly in the first two games, have been dumbed down to make way for RPG-style challenges that don't fit the Sims (e.g. quests, collecting, etc).

The shift in focus is very obvious.
Theorist
#41 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
The challenge was supposed to be keeping your sim alive by tending to their needs, making enough simoleons to afford a house and furniture and maintaining relationships with other sims.

In the Sims 3, it became so easy to tend to sims needs, make money and marry a complete stranger. The "challenging" things about life that I feel were depicted correctly in the first two games, have been dumbed down to make way for RPG-style challenges that don't fit the Sims (e.g. quests, collecting, etc).

The shift in focus is very obvious.

Yeah.. finding someone for your sim to marry in the first 2 games was kind of a feat. Now it's like *Do 10-15 interactions. Propose Marriage. The end.* [I know I skipped a step or two there but I'm sleepy ]

If it was that easy in real life.. I'd be married already lol.
Forum Resident
#42 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 8:57 AM
I'm torn.

On one hand, a lot of the gameplay additions sound great, and as long as they keep all the major gameplay elements from 1-3, I'll be happy with the gameplay.

I'm kind of meh about the graphics. I don't mind the simpler 3D models, but the textures remind me a bit too much of The Sims Freeplay. Not exactly a vibe I want to feel from the main series.

As for the UI, it looks like a complete and utter disaster. While I love the idea of "sculpting" your sims faces (When they originally revealed character customization in The Sims 2, I thought they would go this route.), every other UI element looks ugly and overly convoluted. I can only hope that the colored mood icons turn into bars when hovered over.
Theorist
#43 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 3:49 PM
At first, I thought this 3D representation of "sliders" or whatever you call it now, might be a good thing. However, the more I think about it, I'm starting to wonder if it might actually make sculpting a sim's face more difficult. For one thing, I can see how the guide lines might be a distraction. I can foresee people wishing for a mod to be able to turn them off. Also, I think it might make it more difficult to gauge slider position. Sometimes, on a slider I want to set it to around halfway, or 3/4 of the way, or some almost exact position. That's a lot easier to gauge with conventional sliders. I'm hoping there will be a numeric representation of the "slider" values somewhere on the screen, although I really doubt it. So if not, I hope it can be modded to add it.

I also have doubts about the UI. The example appears to be a really low resolution, like 1024x768. The controls are spread out all over the place. Most people who game on desktops are using 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolution, and with monitor prices dropping, more and more people are going even higher to 2560x1440 or 2560x1600. People are even starting to talk about gaming at 4K resolution (3840x2160). That's going to put some controls very far from each other. It's a whole lot of moving the mouse all the way over here, all the way over there... I may end up becoming lopsided with one small arm and one muscular mousing arm.

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 3:53 PM
Yeah I wondered if shaping the face will be more complex in Sims 4, due to pushing and pulling it around. Supposing I get the perfect face, and then accidentally yank something out of place, could be frustrating. But it must be fun to try it.
Test Subject
#45 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 4:33 PM
I'm really worried about always-on DRM disgusied as social features, what if some of the best features of the game get's cut because you're off-line? Noy only that, what about modding? I'm getting hyped but I'd prefer to stay cool until more is revealed.
Eminence Grise
#46 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:06 AM
Plenty of room, no need to cram all the features into one thread, particularly since there are ALREADY more than one "All TS4 Features Here" threads I would recommend taking each feature individually in a new thread.
Theorist
#47 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:41 PM
After seeing the gameplay video, looks like my concerns about the white guide lines in CAS are unfounded because there aren't any. Apparently, they were just in the screenshots for illustrative purposes.

Resident wet blanket.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 10:14 PM
Would sims lovers walk hand in hand in sims 4? And parents with there child... That would be nice...
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 3:50 PM
I have to say the Sims 4 looks AWFUL!

It is just like Sims Social! I really hope they got more ways to die and stuff though.
I also noticed they havent shown any kids. The interface is all messed up as well.

I really cant be bothered dragging a room to size. I was happy with one/two wall tool/s which give you a blank wall on its own.

Long live Will Wright .
One Minute Ninja'd
#50 Old 24th Aug 2013 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat

....................... It's a whole lot of moving the mouse all the way over here, all the way over there... I may end up becoming lopsided with one small arm and one muscular mousing arm.

Yeah, you should already see the size of my right index finger just from all the clicking in TS3.
Page 2 of 3