Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:37 PM
Default Sims 4 graphics, why so cartoonish ?
I understand the stylised realism they're trying to implement but why do they have to make it so cartoonish ? At times it doesn't even look like 3D but 2D, feels like watching cartoon network . Do they really want this game be appealing only for small children ?

Even the Sims 2 was much less cartoonised despite the fact that it was also similar to this new type of graphic style.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:43 PM
I understand you.When I imagine ts4 at first,I was thinking that it's graphics will be much better than sims3(I didn't expected graphics like re6,skyrim,but a little much better than sims3 graphics)...but unfortunelly,happened this-in graphical side they low it.they so cartoonish,childish and look like sims social rework.this is sad
Instructor
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:44 PM
To me they don't look that cartoony. Truth be told they look more realistic in facial and body proportions. So with CC I can see them looking a whole lot better than what we've ever had in a Sims game.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Instructor
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:47 PM
I guess I don't mind it AS much. The Sims is supposed to be comedy. That's what I loved about TS1 and the start of TS2, there were some pretty absurd things.

I guess if I want more realism, I'll get GTA5 (if they ever make the PC version).

[EDIT] Also, I don't know why they didn't take a book out of SimsCity's page and let you add on a filters. That seemed like a pretty ingenious way to let people view their game how they wanted.

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
I understand you.When I imagine ts4 at first,I was thinking that it's graphics will be much better than sims3(I didn't expected graphics like re6,skyrim,but a little much better than sims3 graphics)...but unfortunelly,happened this,they so cartoonish and look like sims social rework

this decision is risky, they might loose much of their older audience because of this. The colours are so freakin exaggerated it almost look like a cartoon for 3 year old girls. Its like they want the male part of players be ashamed if they're ever seen playing this game.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Issie
To me they don't look that cartoony. Truth be told they look more realistic in facial and body proportions. So with CC I can see them looking a whole lot better than what we've ever had in a Sims game.

not the proportions are the problem, the exaggerated colours and some kind of graphic filter which makes it too shiny and too cartoony.

this looks like an avatar made in paint or something

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simsvip/9569772782
Instructor
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sprue
this decision is risky, they might loose much of their older audience because of this. The colours are so freakin exaggerated it almost look like a cartoon for 3 year old girls. Its like they want the male part of players be ashamed if they're ever seen playing this game.

I know right! Guys could never like cartoons. Ever.

Maybe they should make a gun expansion pack so guys can also play? I can totally see why they wouldn't want to be caught playing a game which simulates real life. Such a girls game.

OnT: I like the cartoon-y look, although I don't particularly agree that it is very cartoon-y. Imo it looks like a better version of TS2.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:52 PM
My opinion on the graphics changes depending on the picture. Sometimes it looks like a Warner Bros cartoon, other times it looks closer to TS3....I don't know. I guess it's because it's pre-alpha.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pelouse
I know right! Guys could never like cartoons. Ever.

Maybe they should make a gun expansion pack so guys can also play? I can totally see why they wouldn't want to be caught playing a game which simulates real life. Such a girls game.

OnT: I like the cartoon-y look, although I don't particularly agree that it is very cartoon-y. Imo it looks like a better version of TS2.

As if it wasn't already awkward for a male playing the sims now they will have to give further explanations for playing with ken and barbie and their magic wonderland....Seriously, the graphics look similar to Katy Perry expansion pack ...on steroids....
Theorist
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:54 PM Last edited by GnatGoSplat : 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:05 PM.
I'm with you on preferring less cartooney, but it's "The Sims", it's always going to be cartooney. That's kind of its trademark. It goes along with the light-hearted humor and silliness that's also a trademark of the game.

As for TS2 being much less cartooney? No way. A CC-less TS2 is considerably more cartooney than TS4. Where is that comparison pic someone posted...

EDIT: Found it, originally posted by cupcub.

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:55 PM
Instructor
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:56 PM
As if it wasn't already awkward for a male playing the sims now they will have to give further explanations for playing with ken and barbie and their magic wonderland....Seriously, the graphics look similar to Katy Perry expansion pack ...on steroids....

Why give explanations at all? It's a game.

A game.

It's not like EA chops off their genitalia and sells it on the black market. It's a game.

If they feel embarrassed about playing TS then they have bigger issues than there being a lot of colors in TS4.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by anifromid2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

read my mind ))

spot the difference

Instructor
#14 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:01 PM
Ok... He's got a point. HAHA

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
I'm with you on preferring less cartooney, but it's "The Sims", it's always going to be cartooney. That's kind of its trademark. It goes along with the light-hearted humor and silliness that's also a trademark of the game.

As for TS2 being much less cartooney? No way. A CC-less TS2 is considerably more cartooney than TS4. Where is that comparison pic someone posted...

Well I was satisfied with Sims 2 and 3 so the problem is the proportion of cartooney they implement, salt is good for food but if you put too much you can throw it at the garbage.

there's no need to defend it, it's obvious the graphics are exageated and are a letdown for sims 4
Instructor
#16 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:06 PM
not the proportions are the problem, the exaggerated colours and some kind of graphic filter which makes it too shiny and too cartoony.

this looks like an avatar made in paint or something

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simsvip/9569772782

Actually I think the Sims 3 is shinier.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Issie
Actually I think the Sims 3 is shinier.

but in sims 3 you can see the edges of people and objects, in sims 4 you can't. At times it looks like 2D
Alchemist
#18 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:16 PM
Well I was satisfied with Sims 2 and 3 so the problem is the proportion of cartooney they implement, salt is good for food but if you put too much you can throw it at the garbage.

there's no need to defend it, it's obvious the graphics are exageated and are a letdown for sims 4

I don't think the graphics are bad, but if they want my $50 for the base game and a few hundred for expansions they'll have to do better than what I've seen so far. I have a suspicion when I get GTA5 in my hands next month, TS4 will be gone from my memory
Instructor
#19 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:17 PM
$50? Base game is $70 this time around.

[EDIT] https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/...edition#details

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:17 PM

EDIT: Found it, originally posted by cupcub.

that's not representative for sims 3. I can give you pictures of sims looking realistic and less cartoonised then in sims 4

Alchemist
#21 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Redhead Creations
$50? Base game is $70 this time around.

Oh I definitely won't be spending that much lol
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:20 PM
Ken on steroids! LOL

I think they are over exaggerated the CAS features by adding really cartoony body shapes. I bet we can all do better than that. Facial expressions are a bit exaggerated in that photo but I remember some pretty silly facial expressions in Sims 3 if you click the camera at just the right time.

I am willing to wait to criticize the sims looks for a bit longer. I think they might be okay. I am more concerned with those overly green (Hidden Springs?) hideous trees and the out of scale house. I hope those are all changeable as well.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Ken on steroids! LOL

I think they are over exaggerated the CAS features by adding really cartoony body shapes. I bet we can all do better than that. Facial expressions are a bit exaggerated in that photo but I remember some pretty silly facial expressions in Sims 3 if you click the camera at just the right time.

I am willing to wait to criticize the sims looks for a bit longer. I think they might be okay. I am more concerned with those overly green (Hidden Springs?) hideous trees and the out of scale house. I hope those are all changeable as well.

but criticising at this early stage might actually change something, altought I doubt because once you made the graphics you're stuck with it . Maybe they can change some filters and water down the colours
Theorist
#24 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:35 PM
that's not representative for sims 3. I can give you pictures of sims looking realistic and less cartoonised then in sims 4

Yeah, that's a really generic face for TS3, but I included that pic mainly for the TS2 to TS4 comparison. I just don't see how TS4 sims could possibly be considered as looking more cartooney than TS2.

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 22nd Aug 2013 at 4:42 PM
Yeah, that's a really generic face for TS3, but I included that pic mainly for the TS2 to TS4 comparison. I just don't see how TS4 sims could possibly be considered as looking more cartooney than TS2.

it looks more cartooney. The sims 2 simply looks worse, that's not equivalent with more cartooney
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: This thread got real dumb real fast.
Page 1 of 4