Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 1:24 AM Last edited by Nick-the-Greek : 27th Aug 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Default How do you feel about not having Pets and Weather (Seasons) in the Basegame?
They said it. We don't get them. No pets, no weather, nothing. But why in the trailer they showed a llama, a dog and we heard a cat's voice. And it was raining.
They better be good when they make us pay for them. Sims 3 Pets, makes my game crash, probably because of all the extra population (animals etc.) And at least some rain would be great. They better have fish in the basegame.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 1:52 AM
As long as people are willing to buy the base game without pets or weather, and are then willing to pay for EPs which contain those elements, EA will do it.

What do you plan to do if the base game doesn't have fish?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 2:11 AM
Seriously they said no weather? Where do they say that. Why, why, why.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 2:13 AM
I feel ripped off already and I haven't even decided yet if I want this game or not.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 2:16 AM
I feel ripped off as well. No weather in Sims 3 was a disappointment, but in sims 4 that just makes me angry. By sims 4 they should have all the basics in the base game.
EP's should add special things, not basics like rain.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 2:16 AM
Hasn't it always been like that? O_o
I've never seen weather or pets included in the base games of neither the Sims 2 or the sims 3. They probably included pets and all that other stuff in the trailer to hint at later expansions.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 2:21 AM
With Sims 2 we didn't expect to get weather, or I at least didn't, but by Sims 3 I did, so that was a disappointment. A lot of people complained about no weather. By sims 4 EA should have their stuff together and realize people expect things like weather to be included in the base game. You can't keep repackaging the same game with slightly altered sims, graphics and game play.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 2:22 AM
It just means that the same old tired themes are coming in an EP near you. I hope EA will change the themes, give us something fresh, maybe adding weather along with a carnival themed EP, just a thought not to be taken for fact. My main concern if they will be like Sims 3, added without any type of cohesion or connection with more than the base game. That was my irritation with Sims 3 and trying to make the game use it easier that way didn't work out well. So what if someone's game doesn't have all the components that would connect each EP with the next, if that player can deal with it or want to wait to buy until they get everything, wouldn't that make sales? Just something I think about. I might think too much.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#9 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 4:25 AM
I like it. It means I get to keep my money, as I won't be buying the game until the EP with weather comes out; and maybe not even then. Most of what I've seen about Sims 4 just makes me want to wait until Sims 5 comes out. I'm sure they'll screw that up too.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Alchemist
#10 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 6:11 AM
I said this elsewhere: I never expected Pets or SEASONS in the base game. Unfortunately EA has proven they can make money off those features sold separately because Simmers consistently buy them separately. EA wants our money more than anything else, and that is made clear time and time again with their merciless business practices. They can talk all they want about trying to please us but their priority is OUR WALLETS, not our appreciation. As long as we're spending and they're profiting they DO NOT CARE.

However, I DO think that EA, as a gesture of good faith, could have cut us just a little bit of slack and put at LEAST rain in the base game. Just for a change. Just because. Just as a little treat for us after such an ultimately painful run with TS3.

It would have been such a huge thrill for so many Simmers, and they could STILL sell us Seasons at a later date complete with more weather types, snow, and the 4 seasons. If they'd put rain in the base game, just to make us happy, it would have changed my opinion on them slightly for the better...slightly...and until they wreck it again. But the fact that they're not giving us rain...all I can do is shake my head.

I felt positively delighted when we saw what was thought to be rain puddles on the sides of the road in that one Sims 4 pic. When "no weather" was announced, I was really angry. I just thought they were going to do something for us with rain in the base game, with no concern about profit, just something to make us happy because maybe, just MAYBE they care a little bit more about us liking the new generation of Sims games than they do our fucking money.

"No weather" just showed me how wrong I was to go there.

How many EP's in will they wait before they give us weather again? Probably near the end, like with TS3. It really is bullshit.

It's VERY difficult to believe they love the Sims community so much when they can't even toss us a little bone from time to time.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 6:13 AM
Maybe the puddles in the drain areas was a new interaction: masterful pee. *groans*

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 6:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Maybe the puddles in the drain areas was a new interaction: masterful pee. *groans*

Or backed up sewers from all those broken toilets.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Or backed up sewers from all those broken toilets.

Yep. Or the neighborhood was played the way I do, filled with lots of divorced couples that have broken the toliets because seeing their ex's caused masterful pee?

OK, I need to go lay down and get some sleep. I am so silly now.

Test Subject
#14 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 6:34 AM
I don't fault EA whatsoever to keep it separate for multiple reasons. It's logical and I think it's better to have expansions dedicated wholly to these themes so they are fully expanded and not just a side-feature of the base game.
You know full well that if they were to put seasons in the base game you would get basic weather and seasons, that's all.. No seasonal activities. If it was pets; Cats & Dogs, there you go.. again, not any full features. And when I think of having seasons in the sims I think of building snowmen, playing in the leaves, getting a sunburn, going roller skating, etc. I highly doubt they would take the time to add them if it was in the base game. Per example: either they dedicate themselves to make these amazing interactions making it feel complete but there's less basic careers in the game or you wait for these themed features to come later..

I mean we complain that expansions are less complete than in sims 2 era (Arguably Supernatural, Seasons and University were really well rounded expansions for TS3) but you want to cut out from them and put it in the base game (Wouldn't it be amazing if EVERYTHING was in the base game?). I understand why you want it that way but I just don't think it's reasonable to blame them for that.
Also it does make the base game available to more people with less performing computers.
Alchemist
#15 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 6:39 AM
I feel ripped off too.

This will the fourth time we're being made to wait on pets and the third time we're being made to wait on weather. Back in the early 2000s it didn't bother me because these ideas were fresh. Pets and weather had never been explored by the franchise until the Sims Unleashed and the Sims 2 Seasons were released. I didn't resent the EPs that were released for the Sims 1 because they were new and original. But now? Now it seems like an excuse to release the base game in "parts" instead of giving us a complete base game.

They can include basic aspects of pets and weather and expand on them later. There is no reason not to include them at all.

Life is too short to be buying the same games again and again.
Test Subject
#16 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 6:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim

They can include basic aspects of pets and weather and expand on them later. There is no reason not to include them at all.

What is even the point to implement unfinished features... And if they were to do that you'd have the other loud group yelling they are greedy and half-assed it, etc.
I think there are plenty reasons to not include them at all, you just disagree with these reasons.

my blog - my downloads
please do not steal my icon, I made it myself.
Alchemist
#17 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 7:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by -Shana-
What is even the point to implement unfinished features... And if they were to do that you'd have the other loud group yelling they are greedy and half-assed it, etc.
I think there are plenty reasons to not include them at all, you just disagree with these reasons.

Basic is not the same as unfinished.

Toddlers in the Sims 2, for example, are not unfinished. They have limited actions in the base game and are given more to do in EPs like OFB and Freetime (e.g. toys, drawing table). But the point is, they were there from the start.

Would you like to wait for toddlers to appear in an EP?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 7:54 AM
I feel absolutely indifferent. If they can't be bothered, then I can't be bothered to dig around my purse for the wallet. (That thing is like a freaken Mary Poppins bag.) They need to make it worth my while, otherwise I am just going to sit on the sidelines and heckle.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 8:15 AM
How do I feel about not having Pets or Seasons in the base game? To be honest, I'm quite neutral about it. I never expected it from them anyway.

That's not to say I wouldn't LIKE to see it included - but I've never realistically expected it from them. EA is a business who is following a successful business model: 1) They create a base game of the basics, then 2) manufacture X amount of optional expansion packs to expand the game. As a business, if they have profited from this model three times already, why would they change anything? To include an EP theme (such as pets or weather) in the base game would soon become expected of every future base game in the series. A staple EP would be lost for them. We simply cannot expect them to include major EP themes from the good of their hearts because they're a business with profits to make. As long as they don't start REMOVING features that were in previous base games like ageing or babies, I will remain a neutral on this subject.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 8:23 AM
I didn't expect pets in the base game, but by now....in the game 4 I did expect basic weather functions, not seasons, just basic weather (rain). I do want a Seasons-like EP....I like having changing weather in my game, though I don't like the way Seasons for Sims 3 adds the seasonal aspects (leisure day for example) although I did like some of the associated objects like the food stalls etc.

I would like the first EP to be a combination of Seasons and Vacations, giving us fully functional weather and fantastic vacation destinations, snowy locations for winter activities, tropical locations for beaches and Island Paradise-like activities, forest/camping locations, exotic locations (chinese/egyptian etc) for exploration aspects like World Adventures.

In other words I want the Sims 1 vacation EP combined with Seasons, Island Paradise and World Adventures.
Instructor
#21 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 8:37 AM
More than okay with no pets. They are SO annoying in 3! Just argh. Get out of the damn way. Let's not even get into the wild horses prancing through bloody cities and towns.

As for weather... meh. I really wanted rain, I think that isn't too much to ask. As for other weather and actual seasons, I'd prefer that came in an EP so that they could really build on the theme.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Instructor
#22 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:16 AM
I was looking forward to weather, not necessarily in-depth weather, just some basic weather. It isn't really a dealbreaker, but I'm a bit surprised that this is the fourth generation and still no weather. Oh well, EA and their milking techniques. I'm interested to see what EP elements will be in the base game, if any. I don't care about pets, they can have their own EP, with other wildlife.

I agree that we should see new themes for EPs, but with old themes packed into them.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 10:26 AM
I'm not surprised, but disappointed.

I think the base game should be TS3 + Generations + Basic Weather.

A base game for $70 should be interesting enough without a $40 EP.

My plan is to try to get some demo of TS4 so at least I can try it before I buy it, and then wait, wait, wait 'til the price is much lower and I know if the game is worth it or not.

Don't have much faith in The Sims franchise anymore but am naïve enough to think that someday, my plumbbob will turn green again.

Been playing since 2000
Ex-Moderator of Swedish Official site: TheSims.se (closed in 2011)
Admin of Sims UnCut

Follow: twitter.com/denkert
Scholar
#24 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 11:31 AM
I can understand how not everyone wants Pets, but when weather does arrive it's get overused, Most Fall, and Spring days just ruin outdoor activities from rain, Winter it almost never stops snowing, I always end up switching off the weather or leaving it permanently set on Summer.

Reason why it will never be a part of the base game, Pet's and weather is just not for everyone.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 27th Aug 2013 at 11:33 AM
I think if you did a poll you would find very few people who turn off weather. Seasons was one of the most popular Sims 2 expansion packs. Pets is another thing altogether, and I've often seen that mentioned as the least favoured Sim 2 EP.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 11