Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 7:31 PM
Default Base Game Content: What once was found but now is lost...
Inspired by another thread, I was wondering how everyone felt about content that appeared previously in the base game of one incarnation becoming EP-only in later incarnations of the Sims. An example would be the hot tub, which appeared in the base games of both the Sims 1 and the Sims 2. It wasn't included in the base game of the Sims 3 but returned with the Late Night EP. The piano also suffered the same fate.

Some features don't even return (e.g. gardener, one-sided relationships, genetics).

Besides CASt, which has its own thread, does this worry you about what could potentially be left out of the Sims 4? Should base game content in previous games appear as base game content in later games? How do you feel about items that become EP-only (e.g. piano)?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 7:39 PM
I think they will do everything they can to milk this franchise to the bone. All awhile keeping the most bare minimum content in the base game. I am almost positive that CAST will come later in an EP all on it's own, the same with cars and just pretty much everything else. EPs used to "enhance" what was already a fulfilling and innovative game, now they are used as an excuse to make money.

I really hope that swimming pools and beaches won't be left out for a "summer fun times" expansion back...yaaaaayyyy.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 7:52 PM
It just takes me back to my other comment that I think they suffer from amnesia inbetween games. "Oh geeeez, we forgot to add the piano!"
"Dude!! Put it in the next EP, they won't notice dude!"

Either that or they think WE the gamers suffer from amnesia.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 8:04 PM
I feel the same way.

Some may not be bothered by it and say it's not a big deal since it's just a piano or a hot tub. But that's where it starts.

"First they came for the piano,
And I didn't speak out because I prefer guitars.
Then they came for CASt,
And I didn't speak out because I no longer play the Sims 3.
Then they came for _______(insert beloved feature here),
And there was no one left to speak for me..."
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 8:13 PM
This is why I'm so concerned about the stuff I'm not seeing in the demos. Sure, it might be obvious that babies and toddlers and the wall tool will be in the game, but I also thought it would be obvious that fears and aliens would be in TS3. Fears never materialised and y'all had to wait years to see an alien. I trust EA so little, that if I don't see it, I assume it's not there. (I'm still not convinced babies exist, I think offspring are going to spring fully formed from their father's foreheads.)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 8:19 PM
I'm not convinced that other life stages exist either. So far we've only seen adults.
Theorist
#7 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 8:29 PM
Yes, I will be re-considering will I even buy the game at all, if they keep throwing things out. But hey. They've been working on the game for a few years now, and if they start putting all that stuff back in, they're just going to wreck it as always and we will again be forced to mod it so we could actually play it.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ.
Yes, I will be re-considering will I even buy the game at all, if they keep throwing things out. But hey. They've been working on the game for a few years now, and if they start putting all that stuff back in, they're just going to wreck it as always and we will again be forced to mod it so we could actually play it.

The problem is that many those mods brings problems to our game...
I like Sims 3 and I want to play Sims 4, but Sims 3 was very very annoying because of all its bugs and errors. Drived me crazy some times...
I hope Sims 4 have a much better playable system. For the money we spent on the game and its expation packs we deserve a much better game.
Hope EA think about that too
Alchemist
#9 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 11:45 PM
I don't necessarily need or want every single base game object from previous games to be in the next game. TS3 was missing some things like diving boards and hot tubs, which came back later in EPs. But TS3 base gave us some things that were from TS2 EPs, like fishing, gardening (Seasons TS2) and cars (Nightlife).
Certainly, I don't want a stripped down base game, but I'm not as concerned about a list of specific objects as I am about having the base game provide enough variety of experience in and of itself.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying TS4 is definitely going to provide that. And the lack of CASt may be the final reason I don't buy it at all. I just don't see a need for a exact repeat of previous base items as long as there are enough new things and comparable things to make the gameplay worthwhile.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 2:49 PM
I miss the cookies that you could buy and then santa would come and leave you presents :lovestruc

why did i pick this username
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#11 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 3:29 PM
I still want stuff that went missing after TS1, like rollercoaster rides and jiving and decent build-buy music. And personality sliders that actually affect how your sims relate to each other, not just add silly text to normal interactions and an irritating idle animation.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 3:42 PM
I miss the TS1 stripper cake. That thing was hilarious.
Theorist
#13 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 4:56 PM
Well, I guess EA learned it's piano lesson since the piano, guitar and violin will be in the basegame. But to answer the question, since I never switched over to Sims 3 I didn't experience it and I don't know how I would feel if some basic object like the hot tub or pools went missing from TS4. It guess it would all depend on what content was or wasn't in it's place.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
I miss the TS1 stripper cake. That thing was hilarious.

Yes it was. I want it back!
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
Well, I guess EA learned it's piano lesson since the piano, guitar and violin will be in the basegame.

You're so punny. I'm glad they did.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:38 PM
I could probably compile a laundry list of build mode features, handy objects and basic feature and tool that have gone AWAL, that were once in the base game or later added to it.

Like Grid Measurements, half walls, Split Levels, CAST, Terrain Paints, Ponds, Wall Speakers, Open Shops... *sigh*

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Alchemist
Original Poster
#16 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I could probably compile a laundry list of build mode features, handy objects and basic feature and tool that have gone AWAL, that were once in the base game or later added to it.

Like Grid Measurements, half walls, Split Levels, CAST, Terrain Paints, Ponds, Wall Speakers, Open Shops... *sigh*

Please do. I will be eternally grateful.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:47 PM
I'll only do it if people want it.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#18 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:48 PM
I'll only do it if people want it.

I'm people...people is me. I want it. Gimme it!

All those in favor, raise your hands.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:52 PM
Do you know how long that would take? I'm very meticulous about this kind of stuff.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#20 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:54 PM
Do you know how long that would take? I'm very meticulous about this kind of stuff.

That's why you're the only one we can count on to do it right. Don't let us down. The team is counting on you!
Mad Poster
#21 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 10:56 PM
The only person asking for it is you.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#22 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 11:04 PM

One is better than none.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 11:06 PM
Oh, come on. Write it, and make a huge thread with the title 'GRAHAM LOOK HERE!'. You're the right person for it, matrix54. Your lists are always thorough and indeed meticulous

Noone expects the spanish inquisition!
My simblr and my downloads blog .
Mad Poster
#24 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 11:21 PM
It probably wont change anything, but sure... why not...

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#25 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 11:36 PM

Add me then.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Page 1 of 2